D gray man thoughts?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

D gray man thoughts?

Postby ByHisBloodProdz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:27 am

What are your thoughts of D gray man
ByHisBloodProdz

Re: D gray man thoughts?

Postby Atria35 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 am

Like.... ? Just thoughts? The anime ends on a total and utter cliffhanger, which makes sitting through 100+ eps very frustrating. There are a few arcs that are dragged on a little too long for my enjoyment. All in all, I should have read the manga.
Atria35

Postby Neane » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 am

It's a a horrible shounen.
I mean, the basic dynamics seem cool and all, but it all falls apart. It is double ruined with fillers and an incomplete ending. Although I know that incomplete endings are everywhere, this had one of the worst. It just stops in the middle of nowhere. No sense of either a conclusion or future events.

The powers seem really cool at first, but they managed to make them boring somehow. A claw that turns into a yellow stick, sword that summons maggots and a giant hammer that shoots fire? And let us not forget the most fearful power there is - exposing past memories. The power that is enough to stun even the strongest of the strong. And I'm not kidding as there actually is a bad guy that literally has this power.

The story mechanics fall apart constantly as well. At one point these strongest in a world guys are having tough time fighting against one super villain. Later, without even any significant power-ups they have no problem facing them in the thousands. Inverse ninjas everywhere. Also, the whole soul/demon concept falls apart in contradictions even faster than in Bleach.

The good things in this show are scarce. There are some cool looking uniforms and the basic outline feels grim. Some super powers are actually cool, but sadly those are stuck with the secondary characters. Overall, the good in this show isn't nearly enough to outweight the bad.

I would rate it a 3 out of 10.
Neane

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

I got excited about this post.

Then i realized i was in the anime section...

the manga is SO much betttteerrrrrrrrrr~~~~~~~~~~
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby KnightOfFive » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:07 am

D. Gray Man has its good points. Todd Haberkorn as Allen being one of them.

The Conservation of Ninjutsu is, sadly an issue. The heroes do also seem to get stronger a wee bit to easily... Then again this IS shounen Manga/Anime.

The storytelling on an episodic scale tends to be pretty good and I truly think holds together quite nicely. Although i will concede the grander plot is a trifle lacking in the meat.

The characters are a mixed back to be truthful, Komui Lee is an utter fruitcake (and he's in charge heaven helps us all) Kanda's a jerk more often then not, but Lena Lee and Allan are both likeable (and fairly deep) characters, who won at least my affection as a fan pretty quickly. Lavi would be awesome as well but for the above mentioned hammer. of course that is a matter of personal taste.

The lack of an ending(and a complete dub flarg it all) is a serious problem but due to overall entertainment value outweighing any negatives I give the show a 6/10.
KnightOfFive

Postby SierraLea » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 am

Some of the emotional growth of Allen and the other main characters is good, but I felt that many characters were underdone.
SierraLea

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 am

KnightOfFive wrote:D. Gray Man has its good points. Todd Haberkorn as Allen being one of them.

Amen to that :cool:

I've only seen the first season, but yeah - it suffers quite a bit from the typical shounen stuff, and is a bit too episodic for my tastes. But the reason I'm reading the manga now - and loving it - is the characters. I really like the characters. I fell in love with them while watching the dub, and continue to love them as I find out more and more about each one. My favorite is actually Lavi, despite the hammer (which I don't really see as much more ridiculous than any of the other weaponry they use), because he gets some really interesting development later on. The plot is nothing special, and there are some confusing things and too-easy power-ups, but what keeps me going is the characters. Because I care about them, things can seem tense or surprising even if, objectively speaking, they're rather predictable.

I think I'd agree with 6/10.
the_wolfs_howl

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews