Full Metal Panic!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Full Metal Panic!

Postby Crossfire » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 pm

I was going to start a thread in honor of its 10th anniversary, but I completely forgot. Better late than never, right?

Anywho, I just finished re-watching the first season and wondered why so many people seem to hate it. It's cliche in some parts to be sure, but over all I'd say it was thoroughly decent. (Well, it's actually my most enjoyed series of all time.) Then again, I might be biased due to it being my one of my first "real" anime viewings.
Crossfire

Re: Full Metal Panic!

Postby TWWK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am

Do people hate it? From what I've seen, it's a pretty well-liked series and is perhaps entering that whole "anime classic" kind of class.

One of my co-bloggers and I have been discussing it lately, as he's watching it for the first time, and he's really enjoying it. It has some terrific characters, some particularly great episodes, a good villain, great humor, and a real particular tone that grips the viewers. Terrific series.
TWWK

Postby Crossfire » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Hm, maybe I've just talked to all the wrong people then. At any rate I'm glad that I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.
Crossfire

Postby blkmage » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:30 pm

idk how I feel about, say, TSR without knowing how it fits in the larger context of the series, but it seems well-liked enough that the existence of a new season is a reliable joke
blkmage

Postby skreyola » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Maybe they didn't like how Fummoffu fit into the series? Or maybe they just have bad taste? ;)

I liked all three seasons. :)
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby battletech » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:51 am

It's a great series. One of those shows I had to have on my shelf.
battletech

Postby crazypackersfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Fumoffu is the best of the 3 seasons of FMP. I like all three seasons, and lots of the characters are great, especially Kaname and Tessa.
crazypackersfan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm

FMP used to be one of those animes that I really enjoyed. It was one of the series where I also collected the manga series.

And I used to also find Fumoffu absolutely hilarious.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:07 pm

You know, I actually watched Fumoffu first - I think I liked it better not having the context of the previous series.
TWWK

Postby SierraLea » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:51 pm

It grates on me how absolutely stupid the lead guy is sometimes. Puleeze
SierraLea

Postby skreyola » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:04 pm

He's not stupid. He's just very, very focused in what he's learned.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Crossfire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm

SierraLea wrote:It grates on me how absolutely stupid the lead guy is sometimes. Puleeze

Well, you have to understand that Sagara was born in Afghanistan and essentially raised as a child soldier by the Soviet Union. In that context, I think it's perfectly reasonable to understand how he doesn't have any social skills or civvy "common sense".
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 pm

I enjoy FMP alot. I love the military setting, and I find the story very intriguing. It actually makes sense, and I really appreciate that.
Out of curiosity, H-sama; do you prefer the subbed or dubbed version? (I suppose I should know the answer to that one. :))

SierraLea wrote:It grates on me how absolutely stupid the lead guy is sometimes. Puleeze

Aww, I love Sousuke! He has to be one of my favorite anime characters. He makes the show for me. I like his focused, determined attitude. And, like Crossfire said, it's totally understandable why he's not socially oriented or "smart" in our definition of the word. He has a lot more practical sense than other people in the show.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Crossfire » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Haha, I prefer the subs on this one. (No surprise there. :lol:)
Crossfire

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am

Crossfire wrote:Haha, I prefer the subs on this one. (No surprise there. :lol:)

Yeah...I saw that coming as soon as I asked. :forehead: I suppose now I should watch the subbed.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews