INFERNO COP - A beacon of blazing justice in a dark world

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

INFERNO COP - A beacon of blazing justice in a dark world

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Inferno Cop might very well be the best thing you see all year.

It's a series of three-minute web shorts by Trigger, a new studio formed by the guys at Gainax who brought us FLCL[/], [i]Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Think of it as the anime equivalent of the game company Treasure. Which would make Inferno Cop their Gunstar Heroes. But instead of the the pretty, edgy, colorful animation you would expect from such tenured professionals behind these shows, we get... cardboard cutouts sliding around like something from a pre-Family Guy Adult Swim show. (To be fair, though, they're very pretty cardboard cutouts.) Oh yeah, and the ending theme's in German because why not.

The plot centers around Inferno Cop, the personification of justice itself (complete with a burning skull for a head!) fighting the mysterious and ancient criminal element known as Southern Cross in order to avenge his family's deaths. He does this by shooting a bunch of people, following in the tracks of pretty much every OVA Japan coughed up in the '80s. But behind this seemingly simplistic story, there's layers of social satire, character development, and comments on the human condition.

The first episode allows us to glimpse life in Jack Knife Edge City, a wretched hive of scum and villainy where Southern Cross punks terrorize innocents in the streets. The police are corrupt through and through, bribed into apathy by Southern Cross, more concerned with how well their pirated anime torrents at home are doing. But along comes Inferno Cop, here to cleanse the city of its blackness, railing against the dark with vigilanteism. Later episodes have dealt with the true nature of justice, poke at the court system, deconstruct the theory of tabula rasa, and there's more to come, for sure.
Davidizer13

Re: INFERNO COP - A beacon of blazing justice in a dark world

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Episode 4 is out.

Southern Cross's plan is totally flawless. Inferno Cop confirmed for sociopath. And what a twist at the end, eh? I sure didn't see that one coming!
Davidizer13

Postby Neane » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Episode 5:

Did Inferno Cop just transform into a fabulous car?

Revolutionary Cop Inferno Cop: The Adolescence of Inferno Cop

120/10

This show just gets better and better with each episode, I can't wait to see how Inferno Cop is able to handle them dinosaurs.
Neane

Postby Neane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Episode 6:

Inferno Cop is fighting the Gods themselves now?

Watch out Demonbane.

Also it's funny that there was a cat staring at the camera while they were eating. I bet you aliens are going to show up during this series.
Neane

Postby Neane » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:36 am

Episode 7:

MECHA COP WHY!?
This episode was too emotional for me. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mecha Cop not wanting to live anymore was heart-breaking.

;_;7

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: But Inferno Cop has now given birth to 'Hell Fire Boy', who hopefully use his powers for Justice and not for evil.

Great episode as always, Inferno Cop just can't have a bad episode.

Inferno Cop/Inferno Cop as always.
Neane

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm

So in Inferno Cop World, Hell isn't such a bad place, and even if you don't like it, getting out is inconsequential. Meanwhile, the god who claims to hold dominion over the world is a vengeful, jealous glory hound. That's some theology there.

Also, did you get a good look at Grenda's husband? Yep. Inferno Cop killed his own uncle. And he probably doesn't even realize it.
Davidizer13

Postby Neane » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

Davidizer13 wrote:
Also, did you get a good look at Grenda's husband? Yep. Inferno Cop killed his own uncle. And he probably doesn't even realize it.

Nah, I think he just didn't give a ****.
Neane

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Episode 8:
Shocking...
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It turns out that Inferno Cop is the heir to the Southern Cross, but was killed by a sword to the head. The only way to save Inferno Cop was to villify Southern Cross and seperate their lives completely.
The markings on their heads are representative of their leaders being stabbed through the head, in honour of their founding members.

Also, Hellfire Boy shall be remembered as one of the best bros ever.

R.I.P Hellfire Boy

Ep.8 -Ep. 8

(Mecha Cop and Hellfire Boy tied for Bro of the Year 2013 already.)

Also HOLY... this episode completely blew Redline out of the water.

Also, IS YOURE BODY LADY?

I'm ready to pre-order it. I hope they release BDs and "Make your own Inferno Cop" cropping set.
Neane

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi, Hellfire Boy!

Bye, Hellfire Boy!
Davidizer13

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I just realized something...At this rate, Inferno Cop will become a villain. And, in order to create his own existance, he will shuttle a member of Southern Cross back in time to kill his own family.

...What if that was Mecha Cop's true purpose all along? What if he was never a villain? What if he was the hero that Jack Knife City needed to stop Inferno Cop once and for all? And I predict that it'd turn out that Inferno Cop might actually have been with Heaven at first but then Hell gets jealous and creates a clone of Inferno Cop and seals the real Inferno Cop in an alternate dimension and eventually the seal will be broken and Inferno Cop will have a battle with Inferno Cop until it results in Inferno Cop winning and the show is over until Inferno Cop breaks free in madness and then we get season two.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 pm

neane are you literally copying and pasting posts from the thread on /a/
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 pm

blkmage wrote:neane are you literally copying and pasting posts from the thread on /a/

I'm the one who wrote all that.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:05 pm

you respond to your own posts and edit them for no reason before posting here?
blkmage

Postby Neane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:08 pm

blkmage wrote:you respond to your own posts and edit them for no reason before posting here?

Yeah, what's wrong with that and why do you care?
I've had a really busy day today and I'm been tired for the past 3 hours.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 pm

not much, it was just interesting/strange
blkmage

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews