Kamisama Kiss/Hajimemashita, or "there are three shoujo shows this season, actually"

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Kamisama Kiss/Hajimemashita, or "there are three shoujo shows this season, actually"

Postby minakichan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

So this is supremely late considering that there're only two eps left in the season, but anyone watching the other, other shoujo show this season? I am completely incapable of holding an unbiased opinion about the three girl shows this season, so I couldn't tell you which was the best, but KamiKiss/KamiHaji is at least the most potentially-mainstream-possibly-fujoshi-ish of the three, for whatever that's worth.

Synop and stuff: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=14441

Anyway, one of its big things is that it's directed by Daichi Akitaro, who directed Fruits Basket, because that's apparently a thing? The other big thing is apparently people are like IT LOOKS LIKE INUYASHA which just no.

/definitely not heartbroken knowing probably no one would read a Sukinayo thread nope
minakichan

Re: Kamisama Kiss/Hajimemashita, or "there are three shoujo shows this season, actually"

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm

minakichan wrote:The other big thing is apparently people are like IT LOOKS LIKE INUYASHA which just no.

So for some poeple the art styles of Rumiko Takahashi is an automatic no-go...? Now see, when I look at that picture, the two people don't look the same but with different hair. So it's not like Takahashi at all. If anything, I hear Kakifly's Haruhi singing for Lobellia while one of the disreputable twins lurks behind her, though I admit I don't know a heck of a lot about shojo titles.

*ducks all the stuff that will be thrown his way for Takahashi-bias*
Mithrandir

Re: Kamisama Kiss/Hajimemashita, or "there are three shoujo shows this season, actually"

Postby skreyola » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm sort of watching it, when I have nothing better to do. It's okay... but I'm not going crazy about it like I am about some other shows :-3
Now that I see you say it, I'm not surprised it's by the director of Furuba. The quality shows the director's hand. I'm probably not very into this one just because I'm not wild about the story.
skreyola

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I actually haven't been hating it... XD I basically picked it up solely due the fact that Daichi Akitaro was the director. While I am enjoying it and it's not a bad show, I just don't feel as passionate about it as some of the other shoujo series this season. The way I want to describe it is as 'nice'. It just is.

And... Mizuki is way cooler than Tomoe, IMO. This may just have to do with my unfortunate favoritism of underdogs.

Also, I am not sure how I feel about Nanami. In the beginning, she seemed like a very strong character to me... But as the story progressed she seemed to develop more and more of a dependency on Tomoe... Now, assuming Tomoe has a dependency on Nanami then I will be fine, but still. Shoot. That doesn't make any sense.....

I am totally in love with the opening. (So catchy!)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby minakichan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 am

I can see that; basically every time I see people rank the three shows, the results are drastically different. I've heard
KamiHaji > TonaKai >>> Sukinayo (blasphemy)
Sukinayo > KamiHaji & TonaKai
KamiHaji > Sukinayo & TonaKai
Tonakai > Sukinayo, never heard of KamiHaji
Sukinayo > TonaKai, never heard of KamiHaji
TonaKai > Sukinayo > KamiHaji
probably equally.
Before the season began, I think I already had Sukinayo > TonaKai > KamiHaji because I looove Sukinayo's manga, but my feelings have gotten very jumbled for a lot of reasons... I can't say I can rank them anymore.

Now that I see you say it, I'm not surprised it's by the director of Furuba. The quality shows the director's hand. I'm probably not very into this one just because I'm not wild about the story.

Although admittedly, I actually don't like Furuba *runs away~*

I am totally in love with the opening. (So catchy!)

The OP/ED for this show seems SUPER POLARIZING. I've heard some people say they hate the OP and the lyrics make no sense, I've heard some people say it's so much better than the ED which they hate, I just DON'T EVEN KNOW (actually my favorite is Kurama's version in ep what, 9 or something, because that was hilarious).
minakichan

Postby Vii » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 am

For me, it's Kamisama > Tonari ≥ Sukinayo.

- Kamisama's is really entertaining. It's like Fruits Basket mixed with Natsume Yuujinchou and half a dozen shots of espresso. Good stuff.
- Tonari is fun, too, but I'm honestly not fond Haru or Shizuku. I love the side characters though. (I'm currently very entertained by Natsume's little crush.)
- Sukinayo is just...not especially good, amongst other things. I also prefer Mai/Kai and Yamato/Aiko. *takes battle stance*
Vii

Postby skreyola » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:37 pm

minakichan wrote:Although admittedly, I actually don't like Furuba *runs away~*

No worries. You don't have to. :)
skreyola

Postby Vii » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:51 pm

A_Yellow_Dress wrote:Also, I am not sure how I feel about Nanami. In the beginning, she seemed like a very strong character to me... But as the story progressed she seemed to develop more and more of a dependency on Tomoe... Now, assuming Tomoe has a dependency on Nanami then I will be fine, but still. Shoot. That doesn't make any sense.....

No, it makes sense.
Maybe you'd like this blog post. (it spoils a few manga plot points, so...read at your own risk.)
Vii

Postby minakichan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:04 pm

The last episode is online http://www.funimation.com/kamisama-kiss ... -thing/sub

There's a little cameo in it that makes me have some hope for a second season... won't hope too hard though.
minakichan

Postby Vii » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 pm

"And I'll help with the music!"
*wheeze*
*SMACK*

I totally lost it.
Vii

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Vii wrote:
A_Yellow_Dress wrote:Also, I am not sure how I feel about Nanami. In the beginning, she seemed like a very strong character to me... But as the story progressed she seemed to develop more and more of a dependency on Tomoe... Now, assuming Tomoe has a dependency on Nanami then I will be fine, but still. Shoot. That doesn't make any sense.....

No, it makes sense.
Maybe you'd like this blog post. (it spoils a few manga plot points, so...read at your own risk.)

Thank you! That pretty much sums it up perfectly for me.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Well, I've been reading and enjoying the manga, so decided to watch the anime as well... and gah-- I get spoiled by one fantastic adaptation, and then this sort of adaptation comes along and reminds me why I usually just stick with the source in the first place, LOL. :sweat: I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not that the anime adaptation was awful or anything-- because it wasn't-- but there were definitely some things about its adaptation that bugged me (especially towards the end).

Namely: the pacing of the anime was a bit hyper at times (they *really* blazed through some of the chapters :sweat: ); there's a bit less dialogue/explanation ( + some of the dialogue is different as well), and a lot of (pretty good and/or cute) little details were cut because of that; it completely revealed something in the second episode that, for effect, wasn't supposed to be confirmed until like volume 6 or 7 of the manga :sweat: ; it added in some anime-original scenes with + meddling by the characters Mikage and Otohiko, all of which were quite unnecessary; and, most annoyingly, starting with episode 10 it became a kind of oddly jumbled mix of flashbacks/mini-stories from *much* later on in the manga series, completely anime-original material, and mere bits and pieces of several originally-separate (and originally quite good) mini-arcs stuck together with the anime-original stuff in between. :eyebrow: :forehead: (No idea what was up with that decision...)

In the end, the only real pros of the anime IMO were #1, its OP and ED; #2, some of the voicing; and #3, that it did play up some of the sillier aspects a bit more with its music (like, for instance, I thought it was pretty hilarious for SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that character song to play in the background every time Kurama appeared :lol:) and comedic timing... plus I suppose that final, extra (and extra-long!) kiss :) -- but, to me, those don't outweigh all the things I mentioned earlier. (Plus, of course, being as short as it is, the anime ends before some of the best stuff of the manga IMO, too.) So, yeah... while the anime wasn't really bad or anything overall and I actually didn't mind watching it once, the manga is definitely better. :P
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews