Musical?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Musical?

Postby Hiryu » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 am

Anyone know of an anime series that is musical-centered and plays some tunes, original or not? Thought it was a neat idea for a series.
Hiryu

Re: Musical?

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 am

Darn, and here I thought you wanted to talk stage musicals of anime~

There are a lot, although I can't say I recommend all of them. Ones I thought of off the top of my head:
Nodame Cantabile (classical)
Detroit Metal City (death metal)
Sakamichi no Apollon (jazz)
Beck (rock)
K-On! (basically pop)
La Corda d'Oro (classical, I think)
Nana (rock)
Full Moon wo Sagashite (idol pop)
Uta no Prince-sama (boyband pop lololol)
<s>Macross</s>
minakichan

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 am

Dang... MK beat me to most of these. XD I'll have to think harder.

BTW: Did you know you really can use strinkthrough if you use square brackets?

EDIT: Didn't black heaven have a bunch of rock in it? And then, of course, there's FLCL.
Mithrandir

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Rah Xephon uses Classical pieces.
K. Ayato

Postby minakichan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Mithrandir wrote:BTW: Did you know you really can use strinkthrough if you use square brackets?

I did not, indeed! But sometimes it's funnier to see the tag XD
minakichan

Postby Atria35 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Chance Pop Session (pop), although you hear the same two songs over... and over... and over again.
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Interstella 5555 --I LOVE this one (but then I am a fan of Daft Punk ;) )

I also second Beck
Sheenar

Postby Vilo159 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Angel Beats had some really good rock music; The GirlDeMo concert scenes were pretty awesome. But it wasn't the focus of though.
Vilo159

Postby Vii » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Princess Tutu uses a lot of classical ballet pieces.

Whisper of the Heart has "Take Me Home, Country Roads" used in the plot.

Also, while it's not an anime, Akuma to Love Song (A Devil and Her Love Song) is a manga that features some songs/hymns (Amazing Grace, most prominently. There's Ave Maria in there as well, played on a piano)
Similarly, Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan's main character is a very good pianist who quit playing piano.

None of the one's I've mentioned here are really focused on music, though.

Other than that, I can only re-recommend Sakamichi no Apollon, Macross Frontier, and Full Moon wo Sagashite, since I've seen them.
Vii

Postby Hiryu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:02 pm

There's a lot more suggestions than I thought there would be. Cool! Let's narrow it down to some specifics, though.

minakichan wrote:Darn, and here I thought you wanted to talk stage musicals of anime~

I was actually thinking along the lines of this. You know, kinda like a disney movie where there's a catchy song or two thrown in. I'm looking for something that has atleast one every few episodes.
Hiryu

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:24 pm

There are a few episodes in Rosario Vampire that have the mains singing, but they're few and far between.
SierraLea

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Macross (original, Frontier, and Seven) isn't like a musical in the sense that the characters are singing in-character, but their is a lot of insert music. Additionally, Kure-nai has an episode where the characters are in a musical, which is pretty much the best episode you'll ever see of anything.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Vii » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I agree with Hats on Macross (Frontier, at least, given that it's the only one I've seen.) There's a ton of insert music that sounds quite good.

Sakamichi no Apollon is the only other anime I can think of that really centers on music. There's only two instances where characters actually sing songs, but there's jazz bands and music pretty much every episode, and the music does play quite a role in the characters and their character development and such.

Ouran also has that episode with those girls from Lobelia. There's a bit of singing. It's hilarious.
Vii

Postby skreyola » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, now, if we're allowing just super-awesome music... I have some suggestions. :)
skreyola

Postby Cc4FuzzyHuggles » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:27 am

Hiryu wrote:Anyone know of an anime series that is musical-centered and plays some tunes, original or not? Thought it was a neat idea for a series.

I know of animes that have singing, but some of them don't have much of a variety of songs. However, you can check them out if you want.

Two of my all time top fave animes are :

Full Moon wo Sagashite
&
Kirarin Revolution

Others that I know of that have singing/music are :

Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, they use singing to battle bad guys, so it had a decent amount of music if I remember correctly.

Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol Lilpri, they sing just a little in almost each episode, but there's not a big variety of songs. However, it tends to work out fine as the songs they do have are fun or catchy.

Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream, it's about girls who do an ice skating show that requires them to skate, have fun with fashion, and sing all at the same time. But it lacks variety in all three categories. For the songs it does have though they are enjoyable.

Aikatsu!, haven't seen much of this one, but it seems fun and is focused on pop-idols.

Shugo Chara, it's not singing based, but there is a fair amount of singing and music in it.

Pretty Cure, it's another one that's not singing based, but there's enough music that the anime has plenty of CDs.

Lemon Angel Project, I don't really remember much about this one as I saw it a longtime ago. I think it's singing was limited though.

Lovedol: Lovely Idol, very similar to lemon angel project, but again I haven't seen it for a long time, so I don't remember much. I think it's singing was also very limited though.

Not sure if I would recommend these ones, as they do imply ecchi/mild fan service, but they weren't too bad compared to other stuff. They are both about pop-idols, however, they also both had disappointing amounts of singing.

The iDOLM@STER, it's about girls trying to become pop-idols. It has more of a slice-of-life feel.

AKB0048 First Stage, it's similar to idolmaster, but it's in a futuristic setting and has more of a story line to it in my opinion.
Luke 10:25-27 Mark 12:28-34 Matthew 22 Deuteronomy 6:4-5 Deuteronomy 10:12
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
No one is perfect, but by one prayer at a time, and one step at a time, God can make our paths straight.
Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."
Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Location: I live wherever the Lord leads me. (currently in an apartment with my sweet cat.)

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews