Anime off the screen

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime off the screen

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm

I had the craziest experience last Wednesday. We were reading the essays we had written for one of our college classes in class. Mine was about maintaining individuality, and i posted it in my God's poetry thread for your reading pleasure. But someone else wrote his entire essay off of Equivalent Exchange. Yes, it did come from FMA, because I asked him that. How cool was that?! FMA ended up in a college level writing assignment! Now that was awesome!

Has anyone else ever encountered Anime off the screem like this? And I mean out of books and off of sites too.
SierraLea

Re: Anime off the screen

Postby Neane » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Sorry, I don't really understood what you are saying.

Could you please clarify it a bit better?
Neane

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:34 pm

How's this?
one of my classes at college gave an assignment. We had to write an essay about one of our core beliefs and how we got that belief. Mine was individuality, someone else's was equivalent exchange, taken word for word from the anime. has anyone ever experienced this, where anime or manga pops up in the off screen world?
SierraLea

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Only because I'm the instigator of it. >_< No one but my little sister gets it, though.
Rusty Claymore

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:20 pm

I used to think jealousy-induced breast-groping was something anime creators made up to cram in more fan service. Used to. My wife has had an interesting time here.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Crossfire » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 pm

I, uh, had a similar experience. It was awkward.
Crossfire

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Cap'n Nick wrote:I used to think jealousy-induced breast-groping was something anime creators made up to cram in more fan service. Used to. My wife has had an interesting time here.

Does three rapid-cut double takes. Holy moly...
Mithrandir

Postby SierraLea » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 am

Rusty Claymore wrote:Only because I'm the instigator of it. >_< No one but my little sister gets it, though.

I have the exact same problem in my family. Only I have two little sisters who get it instead of one, and they only know what I've told them because my mom won't let them watch anything.
SierraLea

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm

My roommate did her Senior Integration Project (something everyone at my college has to do their last year) on manga, anime cons, and anime fans in general. She looked at it from a sociological perspective, taking a very silly subject very seriously. It was pretty cool :cool:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:My roommate did her Senior Integration Project (something everyone at my college has to do their last year) on manga, anime cons, and anime fans in general. She looked at it from a sociological perspective, taking a very silly subject very seriously. It was pretty cool :cool:

Did she come to any interesting conclusions?
SierraLea

Postby Atria35 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Someone in one of my English classes told us that she cosplayed as part of her introduction. That was pretty cool. Never got to really talk to her in-depth, though.
Atria35

Postby SierraLea » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:05 am

Guess what? Anime poped up again, and this time it was on my birthday cake! check out the satus Maddness thread for more details.
SierraLea

Postby minakichan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:24 pm

I basically forced a bunch of my college assignments to SECRETLY BE ABOUT ANIME. It was kind of a terrible habit.

- Had to write a paper for an innovation class on how user-level innovation is often the precursor for new corporate-level products; wrote about fansubs.
- Did a semester long survey and marketing analysis project on how consumer engagement with anime piracy relates to monetary consumption of anime home video and merchandise.
- Wrote a paper for my ethics in video games class (YUP THAT WAS A THING) on the visual novel School Days.
- Wrote some Media Studies paper (can't even remember the prompt) on fanart and artist alley culture.
- Did a year long anthropology study extending on study of fanart/AA culture.
- Took a class on Chinese classical literature, had to come up with a semester project relating to one famous text. I chose Romance of the Three Kingdoms and did my project comparing genderbent moe adaptations. For better or for worse, I watched Ikki Tousen, Ryofuku-chan, and Koihime Musou FOR SCHOOL.

I REGRET NOTHING.
minakichan

Postby SierraLea » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm

minakichan wrote:I basically forced a bunch of my college assignments to SECRETLY BE ABOUT ANIME. It was kind of a terrible habit.

- Had to write a paper for an innovation class on how user-level innovation is often the precursor for new corporate-level products; wrote about fansubs.
- Did a semester long survey and marketing analysis project on how consumer engagement with anime piracy relates to monetary consumption of anime home video and merchandise.
- Wrote a paper for my ethics in video games class (YUP THAT WAS A THING) on the visual novel School Days.
- Wrote some Media Studies paper (can't even remember the prompt) on fanart and artist alley culture.
- Took a class on Chinese classical literature, had to come up with a semester project relating to one famous text. I chose Romance of the Three Kingdoms and did my project comparing genderbent moe adaptations. For better or for worse, I watched Ikki Tousen, Ryofuku-chan, and Koihime Musou FOR SCHOOL.

I REGRET NOTHING.

That is one heck of an amazing list. I admire your creativity in coming up with different ways to squeeze it in there.
SierraLea

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:26 am

minakichan wrote:I basically forced a bunch of my college assignments to SECRETLY BE ABOUT ANIME. It was kind of a terrible habit.

I REGRET NOTHING.

Wow.... That is amazing! Like Sierra said, you have an incredibly creative mind.
Zeldafan2

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 pm

minakichan wrote:For better or for worse, I watched Ikki Tousen, Ryofuku-chan, and Koihime Musou FOR SCHOOL.

I'd classify that as for better.

For obvious reasons.

Now I am jealous.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby SierraLea » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Nate wrote:
minakichan wrote:For better or for worse, I watched Ikki Tousen, Ryofuku-chan, and Koihime Musou FOR SCHOOL.

Why does that never happen to me?
SierraLea

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:04 pm

I REGRET NOTHING.

Slowclap.gif
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:59 am

SierraLea wrote:Did she come to any interesting conclusions?

Well, it's all a bit too complicated for me to remember exactly, but mostly she was classifying the different kinds of fans, and what fandom does for them. There was also an interesting portion which showed how attending cons is almost a religious act for certain kinds of fans.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am

SierraLea wrote:Why does that never happen to me?

Wait, you want to watch Koihime Musou, Ikki Tousen, and Ryofuku-chan?

Is...is there something you're trying to tell us?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby skreyola » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Nate wrote:
SierraLea wrote:Why does that never happen to me?

Wait, you want to watch Koihime Musou, Ikki Tousen, and Ryofuku-chan?

Is...is there something you're trying to tell us?

Perhaps the operative phrase was "for school". :)
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews