Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

Postby Falx » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 am

Wow K-On really influenced Tamako Market heavily.

Tamako herself seems to be a melding of the other cast's traits. Yui's outgoing personality, Some of Mio's maturity, Mugi's girlishness. Only one I don't see is Ritsu, she's not energetic enough. Anko is basically Azusa.

None of these are bad things.

And I don't know how KyoAni does it but every show is better animated than the previous one. This time it's the small details on how the characters move, especially Tamako's shoulders when she does the march in the OP. I love noticing little details like that.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby minakichan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 am

iono what to watch this season (OAO;;;)

Things I'm def watching:
UM, CHIHAYAFURU 2
ALSO HETALIA 5
PUCHIM@S
Haganai NEXT

Things that I'm not sure whether I'll keep or drop:
MaoYuu
Amnesia

Things I might watch I GUESS:
Sasami-San@Ganbaranai
Tamako Market
Love Live!
ManGirl

Things I dropped
Cuticle Tantei Inaba
the other manga girls anime thing
Senyuu

Basically the things I'm excited for are all sequels. I thought MaoYuu was kind of flat/contrived, although it has adorable moments and also FUKUJUN~ Amnesia episode 1 was pretty boring, but the art is pretty generically gorgeous so I might stick around, although my hopes are low.

Everyone keeps telling me to watch Tamako Market and Love Live; I don't want to say I'M TIRED OF MOE but I guess I kind of just want to watch some guys this season please
minakichan

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm

minakichan wrote:Things I might watch I GUESS:
Tamako Market

Everyone keeps telling me to watch Tamako Market and Love Live; I don't want to say I'M TIRED OF MOE but I guess I kind of just want to watch some guys this season please

I think I understand where you're coming from. I actually just finished watching Humanity Has Declined, which is moe with a darker undertone to it, and it was really good - definitely a respite from the normal moe shows.

If you're burned out, maybe watch an older show and watch Tamako Market at a later date? (I'm saying Tamako because it has a romance in it - with a guy - and Love Live probably doesn't have any romance)
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 pm

GJ-bu: light club comedy shenanigans, not particularly earth-shattering or notable
Kotoura-san: ImageImageImageImageImage
Haganai NEXT: yeah I think I'm out
Salami-san: SHINBOOOOOOOOO
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm

blkmage wrote: Kotoura-san: ImageImageImageImageImage
Yes, pretty much.
I found it pretty interesting though, but I'm not sure where they're going with it. So it'll get a second episode watch from me at least.

Salami-san: SHINBOOOOOOOOO
My brain still hasn't recovered.
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Atria35 wrote:I think I understand where you're coming from. I actually just finished watching Humanity Has Declined, which is moe with a darker undertone to it, and it was really good - definitely a respite from the normal moe shows.
I'm incredibly confused as to what part of Humanity Has Declined would lead you to call it moe.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:
Atria35 wrote:I think I understand where you're coming from. I actually just finished watching Humanity Has Declined, which is moe with a darker undertone to it, and it was really good - definitely a respite from the normal moe shows.
I'm incredibly confused as to what part of Humanity Has Declined would lead you to call it moe.

Art style. I love, love, LOVE those fairies. They are the cutest things, even when plotting to starve humans in order to get more sweets.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:03 pm

vividbutt buttperation: butts
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Atria35 wrote:Art style. I love, love, LOVE those fairies. They are the cutest things, even when plotting to starve humans in order to get more sweets.
You seem to be conflating moe with any kind of cuteness, which isn't really what the word means in any of the definitions people use for it. It's fine to think Jintai has cute art because it does, but it's not the same thing as moe. Not that I actually like to even use the term, except to describe Yang/Mihashi/Aladdin, but it's going to be confusing, especially when someone who hasn't seen Jintai sees you describe it as such.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby minakichan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Well, everything is moe in some way, right? Psycho-Pass. Fist of the North Star, even.
minakichan

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Now now, moe is a pretty loaded term. Luckily, I can summarize it pretty well in one image so we can all move on. =D

JoJo is still doing great this season, you guys.
goldenspines

Postby Falx » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Sasami-san

Nope. One of the few times I've been bored to tears by a SHAFT show. None of the characters... are characters. Instead they're caricatures, mockeries made up of otaku cliche's and smacking of a spray-and-pray style of seeking mass-appeal.

Boring.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

As amusing as JoJo references are, I think I'm going to call it quits with OreShura. It's not bad but I can't see myself watching anymore of it.

Edit: Just saw Sasami-san, which was fantastically visually and had some good gags but way too incesty for me to keep.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:52 pm

probably going to keep Oreshura since Saturdays are light this season and if it just continues to be Masuzu trolling people and doing JoJo poses, it'll be alright
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, senpai at work just recommended Love Live to me so I GUESS I HAVE TO WATCH IT.

Also full of sorrow that I'm officially the person people go to to recommend CUTE GIRLS SINGING AND DANCING shows, it's like I was never someone who had taste once upon a time or something.
minakichan

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Amnesia ep.'s 1-2:

First, the music and art: I quite like some of the music, especially what appears to be the main melody and that fantastic song in the OP. And as for the art, I also quite like those unique, hypnotic eyes. And the designs in general are pretty nice all-around.

As for the story: Well, this is another one where I found out a good bit of the story beforehand (though in this case at least it was intentional :P ), and I do like the central SPOILER: Highlight text to read: little twist, which actually makes all the multiple, mutually-exclusive routes make sense in-universe. On another note, from what I recall reading about the story, there's actually some fairly nasty stuff (particularly in the bad ends) in some of those routes, too, which I did not expect :sweat: -- and, in fact, one particular character's entire existence appears to be almost nothing but suffering :( ... leading to *other* unpleasant ramifications as well. :pikka: And some of that has already been hinted in the anime. So yeah, this should be interesting. Oh, and I wasn't really expecting much humor in this (and there isn't :) ), but a couple lines were surprisingly funny SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (like "...Also, boys shouldn't ride in swan boats together," LOL!! :lol: ). So yeah, I'll see this one through. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Oh wow, someone else watching Amnesia? I'm not alone. ;u;

It's lovely animation work so far, the eyes throw me off a bit because of the....color combinations in them. XD; But otherwise, it all looks good, as expected from Brains Base.
Concerning the plot/characters so far, I have mixed feelings. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's so much like a game it's really weird and I'm not sure if I like it. Like you said, MangaRocks, it seems like some of the "bad end" elements are coming up, which really threw me for a loop. We suddenly went back in time!
Otherwise, all the elements are very "game-like" (somehow the idea of social links comes up in order for our main character to get back her memory), but I do like the point of view everything is being told by. We only know as much as the amnesia-stricken main character as she slowly/doesn't really recall any of her past memories.
Orion is kind of annoying, but I think he's starting to grow on me since I missed him a little at the end of this most recent episode.
I'll admit it does have me on the edge of my seat, though. Cliffhangers so far.
goldenspines

Postby Vii » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Wow, two people (maybe three?) watching Amnesia? I thought I was alone too. *_*

I was also taken aback by the eye colors and the this-is-obviously-an-otome-game vibe I got, but I was surprised that I actually liked it, and, along with what MangaRocks has said about the plot, I think I'll try to see this one through.
Last edited by Vii on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vii

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Honestly I tried to watch Amnesia but I gave up when all the guys had card motifs in the OP.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm gonna try and watch Amnesia because I do want to eventually finish an otoge anime one day and Amnesia seems like the most likely to do it since it looks decent. I'm still not really liking the setup though. The closest I've gotten so far was a few episodes Arcana Famiglia. Actually, thinking back on it, that might've been a better choice if it weren't for mediocre production. Oh well, I hope Brains Base doesn't fail me this time, because otherwise the next one I might have to give a shot is Brothers Conflict.

But you know what else is going to be card themed? SPOILER: Highlight text to read: DOKIDOKI PRECURE
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't think you would have liked it anyway, Hat. I am telling you this now because I know you and how much you can't handle bishonen. :< So it's okay, I'll still enjoy it (unless it gets dumb). 8)

blkmage wrote: But you know what else is going to be card themed? SPOILER: Highlight text to read: DOKIDOKI PRECURE
Be still, my beating heart.
goldenspines

Postby minakichan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:58 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:Honestly I tried to watch Amnesia but I gave up when all the guys had card motifs in the OP.

Yeah, card motifs are even worse than constellatio-- oh wait, they kind of have that too.

I prefer my otoge anime more cute and less angsty, but I would not be averse to watching Amnesia with a bunch of other people peanut-gallery style. Really miss Nico2. I'm sticking around for the maid and butlers thou-- I mean, for the plot, which will surely be intricate and shocking and masterful yeaaaaah...

Also, multicolor eyes? NOTHING CAN TOP NANAMI HARUKA'S SOULLESS MOUNTAIN DEW EYES

they are literally the best
minakichan

Postby Zeldafan2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Watched the first half of the first episode of Tamako market. Eh...

The animation quality was stellar as usual for Kyoto Animation, but I was suprised by the amount of profanity they put into the official sub on the anime network. It felt so uncessary, I felt much more comedy could have been added if the chefs came up with goofy insults as opposed to using rather harsh profanity. In addition, the perverted bird is much more creepy than funny.

Bottom line, despite the fact I found some of the characters endearing (particulairy Tamako, Mochizo, and Tamako's friends) and as much as I wanted to find this show enjoyable, it only tickled my funny bone to the slightest degree. All in all, its just not worth following through the season IMHO.
Zeldafan2

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm

minakichan wrote: Also, multicolor eyes? NOTHING CAN TOP NANAMI HARUKA'S SOULLESS MOUNTAIN DEW EYES

All right, I can't argue with that. I'll take a close second then.

Zeldafan2 wrote: The animation quality was stellar as usual for Kyoto Animation, but I was suprised by the amount of profanity they put into the official sub on the anime network. It felt so uncessary, I felt much more comedy could have been added if the chefs came up with goofy insults as opposed to using rather harsh profanity. In addition, the perverted bird is much more creepy than funny.
Huh, really? I didn't think the anime network was that loose with translating. I'm surprised; there was nothing even that close to profanity in the episode (that I can recall anyways. The insults were quite specific for the most part, and pretty goofy-ish). I'd blame it on the translation, not the anime. But I guess if you can't find good subs, there's not much that can be done. :\
The bird is suppose to be creepy, I thought. I didn't think he was funny, except when he ate too much mochi and couldn't fly anymore. XD;

Tamako Market is a comedy, though? Why didn't you guys tell me this? D: *stares at Hat and Blkmage*
goldenspines

Postby Zeldafan2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

goldenspines wrote:
minakichan wrote: Also, multicolor eyes? NOTHING CAN TOP NANAMI HARUKA'S SOULLESS MOUNTAIN DEW EYES

All right, I can't argue with that. I'll take a close second then.

Zeldafan2 wrote: The animation quality was stellar as usual for Kyoto Animation, but I was suprised by the amount of profanity they put into the official sub on the anime network. It felt so uncessary, I felt much more comedy could have been added if the chefs came up with goofy insults as opposed to using rather harsh profanity. In addition, the perverted bird is much more creepy than funny.
Huh, really? I didn't think the anime network was that loose with translating. I'm surprised; there was nothing even that close to profanity in the episode (that I can recall anyways. The insults were quite specific for the most part, and pretty goofy-ish). I'd blame it on the translation, not the anime. But I guess if you can't find good subs, there's not much that can be done. :\
The bird is suppose to be creepy, I thought. I didn't think he was funny, except when he ate too much mochi and couldn't fly anymore. XD;

Tamako Market is a comedy, though? Why didn't you guys tell me this? D: *stares at Hat and Blkmage*

Perhaps, although I should clarify. The Anime Network doesn't actually sub their programs, Sentai Filmworks (the licensing company) does, so I assume they must be responsible.

The bird definitely seems like its supposed to be comedy (or maybe, a combination of both, making the character funny weird.) I can see the show's trying to make itself distinct, but ultimately the character annoyed me to an EXTREME degree. Its mannerisms would suggest the bird being weird (and it definitely is) but several scenes indicate that the character's supposed to be funny. At least he's well animated...

Either way, I just have to hope when they release it on DVD later this year, the sub (or the potential dub) contain little to no profanity.
Zeldafan2

Postby blkmage » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm

the string telephone was cute ヽ( ゚ω゚)ノ

now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pixiv to stalk the もちたま tag
blkmage

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm

For Tamako Market -

I watched it illegally. The subs I watched had *no* profanity.

Interesting. Very interesting.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08 pm

The "impolite Japanese always equals profanity" thing is just shoddy translation. You need to consider the tone of piece you're translating as well.

Tsundere dad was amusing too. I also find it a nice touch that they made a point of showing she needs glasses but uses contacts, it's an extra layer to her character. Poor old Mochizou, wallowing in the friend-zone.

I'm curious how KyoAni will end up handling the Midori situation though. I might be wrong but I think this is a first for them... the twins in FMP The Second Raid don't count.

Falx

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 am

Atria35 wrote:For Tamako Market -

I watched it illegally. The subs I watched had *no* profanity.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Indeed. Especially considering the fact from what I've seen, most fansubs tend to add in a lot of profanity, while official sub generally have either a little profanity, or none. (For dubbed works, it tends to vary.)

Oddly enough, it looks like Tamako Market's situation is the opposite. Perhaps the official subbers were trying to characterize the adult chefs (the two who used pretty much all of the profanity) as stereotyped colorful parents who constantly use profanity when they get upset. Sadly though, this made them much less amusing then they could have been (as I stated earlier.)
Zeldafan2

Postby minakichan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 am

Zeldafan2 wrote:Perhaps, although I should clarify. The Anime Network doesn't actually sub their programs, Sentai Filmworks (the licensing company) does, so I assume they must be responsible.

They're actually the same people. Okay, not like the same individual people, but they're the same company except they're really different companies with the same people, but that's not to say the translators are the same people as the web guys on TAN and--

Uh, never mind.
minakichan

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews