Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

Postby Falx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 am

So I decided to watch the first three episodes of Kotoura-san.

haha...

wow

just

wow

I can safely say that unlike what the trailer showed, it certainly isn't boring.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Tamako Market episode 4: Well, sure enough, I am enjoying this better now that I know what mindset I should be watching it with. :thumb: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, Anko's crush (and the kid's sweetness back towards her as well) was adorable. :hug:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:Amnesia episode 4:

Yep, I knew it-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they're going with the bad ends first. :sweat: That *is* the only way the story really makes sense in the end, though, so it's actually a good thing. :)

Also, LOL at Ikki's innuendo. :forehead: :grin:
Have you read/played the visual novel? O:
Anyways, Amnesia 4: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So apparently, if you don't get together with Shin, you either fall off a cliff or get hit by a truck. I did have a feeling something bad was going to happen after she didn't accept his offer right away.
BUT THEN, what is this new thing? An alternate timeline where our heroine is dating the super popular guy? Actually, I kind of like Ikki (though he may end up being a total jerk later, but meh). Actually, come to think of it, in this last "play through" Ikki wasn't there, was he? The plot thickens!
Then there's that strange lady at the end, but who cares. Funny enough, she reminded me of Misa Misa from DN when I saw her. XD;;

Also, Orion isn't back yet, but we heard is voice so maybe that's important?

Overall, while it's not the greatest anime, it's certainly kept my interest so far. I figure I just must be really bored at this point, but really, I think the constant BAD END sort of ordeal makes it more intriguing.

In other anime news, Kotoura-san is still pretty okay.

Crossfire wrote: Wait, the new season of Hetalia is out?!
Yep. I think Funi is streaming it (on their Youtube channel as well). Though, as Mina said, it's like, insanely SHINY. They really weren't kidding with the title of the new season.

And Tamako Market was wonderful as always. Each episode, I'm growing to love the characters more and more. Anko was so great this episode; I enjoyed seeing a bit more into her daily life (and that last part, yaaaaay).

And I'm still rooting for Mocchi. Don't give up, buddy. D:
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm glad that the characters were aware of how ridiculous of a name Mochizou is.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 pm

goldenspines wrote:Have you read/played the visual novel? O:

Nope (...actually I've never read/played *any* VN's yet {unless the Ace Attorney games count? Which are excellent, BTW :) }, though I would certainly like to at some point), but I did read a couple of fairly thorough reviews of the Amnesia VN, so that's how I know a lot of the story. :)

And as for your comment about SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the bad-end stuff being intriguing, I agree. In fact, the really bad ends-- particularly a certain set of them-- are actually at the very core of the story; and I look forward to seeing how (what I fully expect to be) the very last route is adapted (I won't spoil it by saying who or why :) ).
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:35 am

I've decided I'm going to continue watching Tamako Market because the second episode was a lot more humorous than the first one, and the bird didn't annoy me NEARLY as much. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the series goes.
Zeldafan2

Postby Neane » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Saw the lastest episode of AKB: Private Higashino was awesome. Makoto is now surely locked to take the Sasshi route even further than before (Best character development for Makoto, far more substantial than her bikini gravure misadventure.)

It had some bits from Star Wars Episode 4, and I was also reminded of the following while watching it: Glaser's Running Man and an episode of G.I. Joe.
Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I like how last week's Tamako Market was basically the adorable Kamichu special but without disgusting amounts of ketchup to ruin my enjoyment.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 am

Watched episodes 3 and 4 of Tamako Market. I really like Shirori, and while I thought Anko was annoying initially, she was very cute in episode 4.
Zeldafan2

Postby Vii » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Amnesia 5: Er. Okay.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I get that it's some sort of parallel worlds/time leaping thing that starts at the same date, but that doesn't explain how the heroine retains her memory from previous iterations, still has things written in the diary, and the change in personality of the cafe owner. If it were parallel timelines that start from the same date, wouldn't she forget all about Shin from the first arc? And wouldn't the diary go back to being blank? Also, even in parallel worlds, a person's personality wouldn't change completely, you'd have to rewrite the person's entire childhood and a good chunk of their genetic code to get a change like that.

Blurgh. It's not like I expected the sci-fi bits to actually make sense anyway. It's just there to provide manservice. ("Oh hey, we have a bishie, let's change his personality every time jump to make every fangirl happy" Blech -_-)

Between the awkward "romantic" scenes, the forced dialogue, and the bland heroine, there is really no reason for me to keep watching this, buuuuut it still holds my attention for the most part. At least I'll be able to say I've seen an otome game adaption. :/

Kotoura-san is still decent. I like the drama much more than I do the comedy, but the character designs, while they have style and are fairly unique, aren't really my cup of tea. Animation is very fluid, though. It's nice.

Also dropped OreShura because I just can't find it in me to watch more of it (That "childhood friend" is the childhood friend, arrogant rival and imouto archetype in a single person. So. Annoying.) I have Sakurasou, it's plenty good and I don't need another shounen RomCom this season.
Vii

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Your daily reminder that if you aren't watching Chihayafuru, you should drop something right now, burn through the first season, and catch up.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Amnesia episode 5:

Yeah, I won't deny that was kinda awkward; but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be awkward on purpose, LOL. :grin: (And also LOL at Waka's newest change. :lol: I mean, yeah, I know it's a bit improbable and all, but it's definitely funny. :grin: )

I don't like Ikki's character type very much as a romantic lead, and the stuff that I'm really looking forward to is going to appear quite a bit later on, so I wasn't planning on enjoying his route here that much anyway; but this was still a decent enough episode, so I didn't really mind. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Now I'm just curious as to which bad end they're going to use in episode 6... ;)
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

If there's one thing that visual novels have taught me, it's never to judge the mechanics of how parallel universes work (or whatever trick they have up their sleeve, PoV tricks are really popular too) in that particular game until the game explains it to you. A well-written game might have parallel routes that seem strange or inconsistent while you're going through them but should/will be able to justify everything when it comes together.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Saw Episode 7 of Inferno Cop. My face when hearing Mecha Cop's story.

And I am serious when I say that it's the only anime that currently airing that I am genuinely looking forward to each week.

Why?

Because it's the first anime that I have seen that

exceeds the sheer manliness of MD Geist (Can't stop, he's just a soldier.)
exceeds the comedy genius of The Dark Myth.
exceeds the cancer-punching brilliance of Psychic Wars
exceeds the artistic innovation of Human Zoo
exceeds the parody values of Gun-dou Musashi

It has to be the first anime I can't decide whether to rate 1 or 10, which means that, according to my interpretation, it transcends any form of rating scale and simultaneously occupies its entirety. Not something you see everyday.

It's pure gold. It's a work of art. It's the greatest masterpiece that I will ever lay my unworthy eyes upon.
Last edited by Neane on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neane

Postby Vii » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:36 pm

blkmage wrote:If there's one thing that visual novels have taught me, it's never to judge the mechanics of how parallel universes work (or whatever trick they have up their sleeve, PoV tricks are really popular too) in that particular game until the game explains it to you. A well-written game might have parallel routes that seem strange or inconsistent while you're going through them but should/will be able to justify everything when it comes together.

Fair enough. I hope Amnesia has a decent explanation.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Tamako Market episode 5: Well, the first part of the episode was really cute (Mochizou's ear-blush, hahaha :hug: ), but then the whole unnecessary SPOILER: Highlight text to read: 'love' triangle thing :eyeroll: started up as I (unfortunately :P ) knew it would, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: + then Mochizou finally just took the "oh, I don't need to tell her anyway" route at the end :forehead: :shady: , so at that point it just got kinda annoying. :P Oh well.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Tamako can float, which I guess means that she's got a leg up on me.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Shinsekai Yori 19

WOW.

This is the first anime episode that has scared me since I first watched Boogiepop Phantom Episode 4 three years ago.

I was genuinely afraid for them this episode.
Neane

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am

Watched episode 5 of Tamako market. Actually a really enjoyable episode, and I think I have a higher opinon of the series now.

@Manga Rocks: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Regarding the whole love triangle thing, I'm not even sure its that. Sure, they are kinda flirting on the lines of actually making Midori a lesbian, but I'm under the impression she's just an overprotective friend who doesn't want to lose the friendship Tamako and her share if she falls in love with Mochizuo. Similar to the way in Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated how Scooby didn't like the fact Shaggy was going out with Velma. He didn't want to lose all the fun times they had together if they started being friends. I doubt the creators will actually have Midori confess her feelings, or even overtly say she's lesbian.

At least, that's my take on it anyway, and for the sake of enjoying the show, I really hope that's the way they go with it.
Zeldafan2

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Amnesia episode 6:

Yes, finally SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ukyou appeared again! :) I knew he was going to have to show up again soon, and the little warning of his here was nice to see (even if it didn't work, LOL :P ).

Also, LOL at Ikki's 'disguise.' :grin: And I had forgotten that his backstory showed him to be not really anything like what he seemed.
So, yeah, I definitely enjoyed this episode more than last week's. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:Amnesia episode 6:

Yes, finally SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ukyou appeared again! :) I knew he was going to have to show up again soon, and the little warning of his here was nice to see (even if it didn't work, LOL :P ).

Also, LOL at Ikki's 'disguise.' :grin: And I had forgotten that his backstory showed him to be not really anything like what he seemed.
So, yeah, I definitely enjoyed this episode more than last week's. :)

Amnesia has been the most unexpectedly well executed series of the season for me. Granted, the direction it'll head in terms of overarching events was pretty obvious after like ep 3, that is, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: route for one guy, then timeloop back to a new route. and the dialogue can be really cheesy, though originating from an otome, that's to be expected. Regardless, the pacing is pretty close to perfect and I look forward to how they'll pull the finale off since that's what'll decide how good it is in the end.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Vii » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 am

Amnesia VI:
Ukyo knows wazzup, yo!
Also, I think I may have a been a little harsh on Waka before. He's pretty amusing.
The dialogue is still as forced as processed cheese.

Tamako Market 5:
OH FOR PETE'S SAKE MOCHIZOU JUST CONFESS ALREADY.
Vii

Postby goldenspines » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Man, Amnesia is building up its story really well, I'm impressed. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I knew it about time for another BAD END, though. Just when things were going so well, too...
I've heard worse dialogue, so I can't really complain like everyone else is. XD; But, despite the heroine's faults in not really being able to talk that well ("I, um..." and "umm, I..."), I can say the story has got me hooked. I look forward to seeing how it continues to progress.

Senyuu is still the cutest series and even having only 5 minutes of it every week is satisfying.
DokiDoki Precure is hearts and fuzzy feeling overload; so many love puns. @_@ I like it, but I am saddened by the lack of awesome transformation scenes.
Jojo is still the best.
And I gave up on Sasami because I don't know.
I picked up GJ-bu on a whim. I like it, but I'm not sure why...
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Sasami-san is strange and but it's interesting enough to keep around. I'm not sure if I'll end up liking it though.

But yeah, I really like GJ-bu too.

If I'm bored enough, I might pick Amnesia back up since I don't have anything else to watch on Tuesdays.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:54 am

Tamako for least scary ghost ever.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Tamako Market episode 6:

LOL, this episode was really funny! :lol: Best one so far, IMO.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Tamako Market episode 6: Had quite a few genuinely funny moments, its too bad it went seriously overboard with the haunted house stuff, though.
Zeldafan2

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:52 pm

This is late but now that I'm finally caught up on my currently airing stuff it's time for the obligatory ranking post!

1) Chihayafuru is pretty much just basically just the best thing.
2) Tamako Market is amazingly well-animated and I've admittedly been sold on this since day one.
3) Zetsuen no Tempest is hilarious and consistently awesome, also I like Bones.
3b) Shin Sekai Yori has been a bit uneven but presents a fascinating world and ethical dilemmas with amazing animation and atmosphere.
4) Magi is ~adventure~ and also my first hnnnnnnng courtesy of Kougyouku.
5) THE UNLIMITED Hyobu Kyousuke is super fun and slick with great action and characters.
6) Space Bros has been unexpectedly fantastic for this entire cour, either the show got good or I finally figured out how to appreciate it properly because I've almost cried a couple times.
6b) Sakurasou has really grown on me since I started it and between yelling and Ryunosuke I look forward to this quite a bit.
7) I have given up on Psycho-Pass being an intelligent show but it's okay when it's just sci-fi police hunting criminals with messy results.
8) Robotics;Notes has been pretty boring for a while now but I'm this far and also noitaminA completionist.
9) Little Busters is pretty terrible most of the time, it's almost impressive how much this show has failed on me.

I feel kind of lame for only having three shows from this season on my list, is there anything else I should pick up? I dropped Sasami-san because I realized in the middle I was trying to justify why I was watching a show with incest but I loved the look of the show, so is it worth trying out again? Maoyuu looks interesting but I haven't heard a lot on how good it is one way or another. Kotoura-san is another that sounds kind of interesting but I haven't heard much on it from people I actually know. Is there some other show I should be watching?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Sasami-san actually does a pretty good job justifying most of the weird things it does at the start. Whether it's entertaining enough at the moment is something I haven't decided yet.

At this point in Maoyuu, I'd say you're better off reading the manga. It's probably not to its credit when the most genuinely interesting adaptation change is the addition of the dakimakura.

I'd say give GJ-bu a shot. It's light comedy and I like the characters.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:I feel kind of lame for only having three shows from this season on my list, is there anything else I should pick up? I dropped Sasami-san because I realized in the middle I was trying to justify why I was watching a show with incest but I loved the look of the show, so is it worth trying out again? Maoyuu looks interesting but I haven't heard a lot on how good it is one way or another. Kotoura-san is another that sounds kind of interesting but I haven't heard much on it from people I actually know. Is there some other show I should be watching?

You really should watch at least the first two episodes, Kotoura has a style of it's own that may or may not be to your liking, but the first episode is a must watch.

Also Boku no Imouto ha Osaka okan is a flash-anime airing on Crunchyroll, it's only 4 minutes long but it's surprisingly funny.

Also Mondaiji-tachi ga isekai kara kuru sou desu yo? is surprisingly good. The male lead character can come off as a a Marty Stu, but the show has been clever about, as while he definitely seems to have the strength to win any fight he's in... he can't be in every fight, and he's well aware of the fact that he could win all his battles and still cause his allies to be wiped out. It's like Dog Days, but darker and the comedy isn't quite as silly.

Falx

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews