Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

Postby KazeShiki » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 am

Amnesia 11 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Very good. I can't say I'm too surprised by it at this point but nice to see what's really going on here without it being dumb. Honestly, in terms of parallel world explanations, supernatural is the way to go because it only requires suspension of disbelief. With "scientific" explanations, you universally get writers who don't actually know how the theory works and try to throw out a bunch of cool terminology that actually makes zero sense and I'm just like uhh that's not how it works -_- But well, par for the course. I get the feeling the solution will be really contrived as overturning destiny-type plots usually are but maybe it'll surprise me one last time! Still, it's been really good and probably my favorite of the season. I just hope the explanation is done well (in terms of anime-exclusive execution).
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Tamako Market episode 11:

This was just a simple build-up-to-the-finale ep., which is pretty much what I was expecting; but I did find it kinda annoying that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: even after all of that, Mochizou *still* didn't have the nerve to confess yet :P (...or even just talk with her about the whole thing. *Nobody* did, in fact-- they all just automatically assumed that Tamako would likely accept :shady: ). I mean, I know he's more interested in her happiness and all that, but at this point she's not even aware that he likes her! He should at least inform her of that. :forehead: (I *do* expect that he'll finally confess {likely in some dramatic fashion} in the finale, though, of course. But it's still kinda annoying. :P )
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Tamako market episode 11: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: For some reason, I was a little surprised the way this episode turned out. It was fun to have Tamako show some hidden depths in character she hadn't shown before. I can't wait for the finale, but I have a feeling its going to be underwhelming. :(
Zeldafan2

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Amnesia finale:

GAH, what the heck?! :shady: Here I had actually been enjoying this, and then they had to go and do a complete cop out on the ending! :bootout:

Of course, all the stuff with Ukyo (and, really, just about everyone) was way more detailed and involving in the VN; however, up until the ending of this episode, I had thought that they'd done fairly well with the limited space they were given to adapt it in. But then they had to go and pull SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a lame "Haha, you thought we were doing the True Route? Nope, we're going to leave it completely open, show a multiple choice to the Heroine, and let you imagine which one she picked yourself! *trollface*" :bang: I mean, they didn't even finish the route they were in-- Ukyo's-- which is the game's True Route, and which would have explained even more (like showing what happened with them and Orion and Neil afterwards)! :rant:

And some still wonder why so many people (including myself) usually say "the source was better"... :forehead:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Amnesia 12 (FINAL): SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ah, the classic Deus ex Machina. I thought something like this might happen and it's sadly not surprising (not all bad, either). I speak as one who hasn't read the VN, though, so I fear I cannot share with the fans' raaaaaaaage.
The final episode was okay, but not remarkable. Though, I liked the angle of "awww, maybe this was just a story about the main girl and her friendship with Orion." and in which case, I demand more fun times with the two of them. I'll agree that the very very end part was like, "huuuuuuh?" But to appeal to a wider audience and not upset fans, they may have just left it a mystery on who she ended up with. *shrugs* I was personally shipping her and Itsuki (minus the fan club), though. O:

Overall, not the most remarkable show, but it stands above a lot of other otome adaptations by miles, so I give it kudos for that.
goldenspines

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Amnesia 12 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: hmm well most of it was good but yeah that was disappointed. spend 9 relatively boring episodes as build up for true route->don't actually finish true route. I mean, on one hand, sure it's a common occurrence in anime but that's almost universally in stories with either no true route or no real significance to true routes. Bland stories, basically. But on the other hand, by virtue of picking up Amnesia and attempting to legitimately storyboard it (which they did a superb job with) despite its difficulties, I assumed they would've gone the extra mile and stick to true end. Oh well, even if they dropped the ball a little at the end, it was still a solid and well done show.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby blkmage » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm

Tamako Market 12: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (ノ  ̄へ ̄)ノ彡┻━┻

Oh well.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm

blkmage wrote:Tamako Market 12: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (ノ  ̄へ ̄)ノ彡┻━┻

Oh well.

^ Exactly. :forehead: :P
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 pm

blkmage wrote:Tamako Market 12: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (ノ  ̄へ ̄)ノ彡┻━┻

Oh well.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)

Like with Chuu2, I think I'll be in the unpopular opinion of thinking the ending was good for Tamako Market. I liked it, though it could always be better in one way or another, obviously. But in all honesty, the series ended how it started, full of fun times and not too much srs bsns. It was a pleasant series and while I may be chuckling to myself when I recall people fawning over TM before it had begun, I'm smiling because the ending was rather heart warming and I enjoyed the whole series more than I thought I would.
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:49 pm

I think people are just disappointed with the lack of Mochizou properly confessing because I dunno what else you could be disappointed with in that excellent ending.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:53 am

I was disappointed with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Mochizuo not confessing to Tamako But that wasn't the only thing I didn't really like about the ending. It all felt a bit forced. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The way they revealed the misunderstanding with Tamako being the princess, the fact they didn't tell her fortune, it almost felt forced, and perhaps a bit anti-climatic. I understand the series isn't exactly grand in any sense of the word, but I was hoping for something a little more dramatic to clinch the series. Don't get me wrong, I did find the way they did that last scene very, very funny (albeit a bit ridiculous, how the heck did the florist not notice before Dela was that heavy) but regardless, I just felt it could have been done a lot better overall.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy watching this series, but I felt the ending was just rather weak.
Zeldafan2

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 am

Yeah, unlike the ending of Chu2Koi, I liked this ending and notwithstanding developments that won't happen except in the realm of my pixiv bookmarks, I think it was pretty good. It works pretty well thematically and it fits the character of the show. And while I was disappointed that Mochizou's and Tamako's relationship didn't make any major developments, I did like how that particular arc in their life concluded in the final episode. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: We opened with Mochizou never being able to give Tamako a birthday present and we ended with him being able to do exactly that. Just like in Hyouka, I always say out loud that I really want to see relationships happen, but I don't think I ever seriously think that they will. But what they do instead is work in these details that signify more subtle and realistic character growth and part of that is having the characters resolve their feelings in small concrete steps.
blkmage

Postby Vii » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Amnesia Finale - Blaaahahahaahah. I am glad this series is over.
Vii

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews