Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Post-apocalyptic [Winter 2013] anime

Postby goldenspines » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 pm

@ Falx: I dropped Mondaiji was because the lead dude was a jerk and I really didn't care about the other two girls (even the girl who could talk to animals, which is usually an instant win for me (see: Luke Triton)). I hadn't heard about anyone watching it until now. And since you seem to be enjoying it, maybe I'll try to watch a bit more.

@ Hat: I second GJ-bu for you. It's fun, the characters are wonderful, and has just enough moe to not kill you. The OP is kind of awesome too.
You can check out Senyuu as well for its dumb rpg jokes. Since it's super short each episode, it won't take up much of your time.

Or you can always watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure now instead of waiting to feel the fabulousness that is ripple bubble power and German science!
goldenspines

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Amnesia episode 7:

LOL at Kent's complete pure-logic obliviousness in the beginning :grin: ... and even more LOL once the truth about the memories and Orion came out. :lol: I really like how smart Kent is and the way he figured it all out + that whole little investigation/conversation afterward. :)

I do have to say, though, I was actually really surprised by SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the way the episode ended-- I thought everyone was going to get 2 ep.'s each, however it looks like that's it for Kent? :pikka: They didn't even go into his backstory like they did with the others. :eyebrow: Unless they plan to add that in later (unlikely), the only thing I can think of is that they're going to spend an extra ep. on the big finale, which actually would probably be for the best. :) But yeah, I still would've liked to have seen a little bit more of Kent, though. Ah well. :P
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah Amnesia ep7 was entertaining. Kento is the best one so far imo. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I also thought it would be 2eps per and not sure how I feel about Kento only getting 1 ep. As far as backstory, that's a real disappointment, but depending on what the trick is, it could be a good choice. Since the finale is so important for this kind of show, I can also see them wanting to have sufficient time to explain everything and wrap up the story. Still sad though since that was the most entertaining episode so far.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Tamako Market episode 7:

Well, that was cute (...minus the one kinda melancholy part with that one poor guy). The end of the ep., though-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: oh dear, does that mean what I think it means? If so, it looks like poor Mochizou is going to have even more competition pretty soon... :forehead:
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 pm

- Amnesia Episode VII:

Well, how fitting that the episode I've liked best so far is the one numbered Vii.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I liked that this episode explained a bit more what was happening to the girl. (Urgh, she needs a name. One blogger I follow called her Phyllis. I think I will too.)

Kent's route was surprisingly decent (and rather funny to watch). I liked that he figured out Phyllis's amnesia, tried to talk to Orion, his dialogue didn't sound too forced, and that he didn't have excessive angst like the first two guys. He was straightforward, it was refreshing.

And Orange-kun is up next it looks like. His route was the one I was most interested in when I started this show.

Phyllis: "[Orion's] clothes are kind of funny"
Me: "And Kent's aren't?!"
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Amnesia episode 8:

And yep, here we go-- this is where it starts hitting the fan. :sweat: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Because, as you can see, the Ikki girls mean business this time. (As does Ukyou's... uh... 'other side,' but that'll be explained a little later. :) ) On top of that, though... well, let's just say that Toma is not quite what he appears, either-- or, rather, he's way TOO much so...! :pikka: (There's already a big hint in the ED as to what I'm talking about; you'll see what I mean next week. :sweat: )

And then the last route is going to be even darker (in a good way, though, IMO-- well, story-wise, I mean, not for the poor characters, LOL :sweat: ). And if they do it right, the finale should be pretty great.
So yeah, from now through the end is the part that I had mentioned I was most looking forward to. :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: (...Well, plus Kent, of course, but you know. :P )
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Tamako market episode 7: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh my gosh, I LOVE Choi! I was waiting for a character to put Dela back in his place, and she vented all the rage I felt towards that bird in that one episode. Now granted, I was only exceptionially annoyed with him in the first episode, but I still have a rather low opinon of him. I think it will be very interesting to see the direction the show takes with Choi now staying in the shopping market for at least a little while.
Zeldafan2

Postby goldenspines » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Amnesia 7: Kent. <3

Amnesia 8: O_______O; SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Wow, so much happening, or rather, setting up this episode. I miss the fun and innocent days of hanging out with Orion and finding out that Shin didn't actually kill a guy. Now we have mean girls and death threats and garbage in our mail box! This is seriously the most fun I've ever had watching an otome game anime.
goldenspines

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Hmm Amnesia 8 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Good, good more set up and events to keep me interested. Pacing continues to be pretty perfect and while I can't say for sure, the storyboarding on this seems to be really, really good. The fact the Ikki girls are involved in multiple worlds as well is interesting. I would normally say it's a red herring but there's so little else to go on, I'm not sure. Still waiting on finale to make or break it.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Tamako Market episode 8:

Eh, not one of the series' best ep.'s, IMO :P ; but when it focused on Choi it was pretty cute, and the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: comic timing with the music was pretty darn amusing, too :grin: , so whatever. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Tamako market episode 8: A mildly amusing episode, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Dela getting pushed more and more to go on his diet, and exercise was quite fun to watch. Although it definitely does seem to be part of the show's feel, I have noticed that none of the characters (other than the exaggerated ones like Dela and to a degree Kanna) really stick out to me so far. Sure, I know its that kind of series, but after watching character heavy series like Clannad, and Hyouka, this is somewhat disconcerting. Although, there is still time for development, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about hidden depths some characters may turn out to have.
Zeldafan2

Postby Vii » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 am

Amnesia VIII and IX - I hate Toma. He needs to be turned in to the cops. Also Phyllis is so passive most of the time it's getting on my nerves.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Amnesia episode 9:

...See? :P SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Yeah, Toma's kinda nuts... :pikka: :sweat:

Anyway, I found it interesting that this route is continuing into another episode again; since it shouldn't take very long to finish the rest of it now, I'm assuming there's going to be a transition into the final route sometime during the next ep., which I'm quite looking forward to. :)

Also, @Vii: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: True, but at least she has the excuse of being drugged this time. :sweat:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:43 pm

@MangaRocks: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh yeah. I don't blame her for that part at all. It's more like the part where she's locked in the cage, but doesn't seem to be thinking of a plan to get out, and even when she's let out she doesn't try to kick Toma in the nuts and make a break for the door or something of that sort. Sure, she got out, but that was due to Toma's mistake and not her own wit. Nevertheless, her passiveness HAS bugged me in a number of the previous episodes, not just this one, but it's Toma's actions that have made it really pronounced. I suppose it can be chalked up to her amnesia, but I still don't like it.

It's Toma himself that's really the problem. I don't like that they try to justify and brush off his behavior as just being "too protective". He's a controlling, manipulative, abusive jerk, and sugar-coating it is only going perpetrate the notion that this is acceptable (Amnesia does an okay job of portraying it as creepy, it's not as bad as it could be, but it's still not great).

It's sad to think that there are people out there who think this is romantic and that Toma is justified just because he acts sweet and looks attractive. It reminds me of Twilight, actually. </rant>

tl;dr Toma is a turd.
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Vii wrote:@MangaRocks: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Oh yeah. I don't blame her for that part at all. It's more like the part where she's locked in the cage, but doesn't seem to be thinking of a plan to get out, and even when she's let out she doesn't try to kick Toma in the nuts and make a break for the door or something of that sort. Sure, she got out, but that was due to Toma's mistake and not her own wit. ...

Again, quite true. To be fair, though, I heard that in the VN SPOILER: Highlight text to read: you actually *can* try to make her escape there when he lets her out, but if you do, then there's a *really* bad end (like, involving chains :pikka: ), and that definitely wouldn't have fit in with the story the way they're adapting it. :sweat:

Vii wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It's Toma himself that's really the problem. I don't like that they try to justify and brush off his behavior as just being "too protective". He's a controlling, manipulative, abusive jerk, and sugar-coating it is only going perpetrate the notion that this is acceptable (Amnesia does an okay job of portraying it as creepy, it's not as bad as it could be, but it's still not great).

It's sad to think that there are people out there who think this is romantic and that Toma is justified just because he acts sweet and looks attractive. It reminds me of Twilight, actually. </rant>

tl;dr Toma is a turd.

:lol: Well, I certainly don't disagree with you there. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Vii » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:Again, quite true. To be fair, though, I heard that in the VN SPOILER: Highlight text to read: you actually *can* try to make her escape there when he lets her out, but if you do, then there's a *really* bad end (like, involving chains :pikka: ), and it definitely wouldn't have fit in with the story the way they're adapting it. :sweat:

I see. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I kind of figured that something would happen if Toma caught her if she tried to escape, but it was never specifically brought up in the anime, so I thought she never considered it.

...but a groin kick would still incapacitate most guys long enough to escape. :P
Vii

Postby Falx » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 am

What a bitter-sweet episode of Tamako Market. It's nice to see how much she resembles her mother.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 am

yes I am pleased to see that the dream of mochitama end is being kept alive
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Tamako Market episode 9:
Gah, this episode was so good! :hug: Best one so far.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Tamako Market episode 9: That was a sweet episode. I wasn't expecting a very sentimental episode in this series, and yet we got one. Overall, I definitely enjoyed this episode.
Zeldafan2

Postby Vii » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am

Amnesia X: Bleh. At least Toma's arc's over. I hate Toma.
And Ukyo...I'm going to assume that he flips personalities every other timeline or something. I also really want to chop his hair off. It's a mess.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: "I see...you were just trying to protect me" NO. Toma was being controlling, possessive and abusive and the fact that he realized he shouldn't have done those things does NOT excuse them. I really hate that they tried to romanticize Toma's actions.

And couldn't Phyllis have just taken the boot off? It was only her heel that was stuck. :/
Vii

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

Amnesia episode 10:

Yep-- unfortunately for this particular route :sweat: , I knew that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: they'd do a good-bad end again like they did with all the others-- meaning, they do actually confess and become a couple (which would normally be a good end) but then a bad end happens right afterwards. With all the other routes, that works fine, but it's unfortunate in this case because here it just kinda waves away Toma's mental issues and abusive actions as no problem. :eyeroll: :forehead:

The *good* thing, though, is that (as I expected) the end of Toma's route only took less than half the ep. to finish, and then from SPOILER: Highlight text to read: that rather nasty bad end :sweat: on, it gets really interesting (and will be, now, all the way through to the series' end). :thumb:

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And yes, the world is indeed trying to kill her (the reason for which will be explained soon along with everything else :) ), so there are a ridiculous number of random, violently bad ends that it is possible for her to have in this final route, as you can see Ukyo continuously warning her about and saving her from. :sweat: As for poor Ukyo himself... well, remember the character that I said had a life of almost nothing but suffering? :( Yep, that character is him. And the reason why he has a split personality (which actually does not get triggered by different routes, but by... well, something else that I won't spoil :) ) comes from that. The only thing I'll say as a hint is that this is the game's True Route, and he was indeed her *original* lover...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Amnesia 10 SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I don't really care how they choose to end each route. There needs to be bad end at some point for each one to trigger the loop, and it's been obvious that'll happen since the first loop. I was worried they would take a bit too much time with finishing Toma's route but luckily the storyboarding has still been top notch. Now, finally, after all these relatively boring episodes of predictable loops, we get to the finale. I feel like it'll be really good considering how well it's been executed up to this point; it would really suck to see them mess up the most important part, but I have faith.

As far as the worlds trying to kill her off, it's a bit reminiscent of something else (I won't say what since that'd be spoilers for it). At first I was thinking the worlds were trying to kill her because she's not originally from there (i.e. she's from the world where she's with Ukyu); however, after that fire flashback, I think she might already be dead in that world, they both have begun to world hop due to some reason and her "existence" is dead so the worlds are naturally trying to kill her. Same result, different reasoning I guess. My biggest question is how Orion fits into all this. I suppose he may have been an indirect/direct cause of said world hopping.
KazeShiki

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 am

Tamako market episode 10: That was a really nice episode, not as nice as the last one, but still pretty good. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I have a feeling that Tamako may not fully understand this whole being the prince's bride thing immediately. Its really going to be interesting to see how they handle this in the last two episodes.
Zeldafan2

Postby MangaRocks! » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Tamako Market episode 10:

Pretty predictable middle, IMO, but the first and last parts were cute. :) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And now Tamako knows what Choi has suspected for a while. It should be interesting to see her (and Mochizou's ;) ) reaction to this, once she really gets what Choi meant...
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby goldenspines » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Amnesia 10: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Dropped
Just kidding! XD; But I seriously can't decide whether to laugh or cry at that gif.
But no, haven't dropped the series, but I still can't believe I'm still watching and interested in it! XD

I still feel like even after coming so far, we know next to nothing about the main girl's personality before she lost her memories. It's all still a mystery! But I'm glad the Toma/stalker arc is over, but Ukyu doesn't seem much better so far...beyond saving her from the world trying to kill her, so there's that.

I have to admit, the show keeps me guessing. Even now, I'm not sure how things are going to continue onward let alone end.

Tamako Market 10: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Good episode. It made me like Midori again after she was trying to break up the MochiTama ship. But now we have bigger problems, the main plot has emerged! We're finally back to what I have been waiting for, the search/finding of the prince's bride! The tension is rising beyond just cultural festival stress. O:
I suspect the actual prince will show up soon since he hasn't been able to contact Dera or Choi for some time now.

[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is still absolutely brilliant reminder note goes here]

I see that they only have 26 episodes planned (MAL says this, so who knows how reliable that is), but I worry they aren't going to continue on to part 3. D: Does anyone know anything about this? If not, I guess I'll just wait and see.
goldenspines

Postby Vii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Finally caught up on Tamako Market

Episode 6: Ehhh, I skimmed through a lot, and I don't usually skim episodes. Rather dull.

Episode 7: Choi's pretty cute. Dera was extremely annoying.

Episode 8: "Dieting" doesn't mean "starving yourself" :/ Another uninteresting episode.

Episode 9: Awwww, that was a cute episode. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Tamako's dad is an awesome tsundere (and his band was neat). Anko's crush is still cute (although she didn't end up telling the kid she liked him). And Mochizou is adorable like always (his reaction to the birthday gift TwT).

Episode 10: That was nice. Interesting plot development near the end there. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I hope Choi ends up with the Prince and Mochizou confesses to Tamako by the end of this series. I'm not overly hopeful, though. Two episodes left!
Vii

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 pm

My expectation is that Choi and the prince, and Mochizou and Tamako do end up together, respectively. It's been pretty clear that the setup has been for Tamako to be the prince's bride designate, while Mochizou and Choi have been set up as having secret longtime crushes on their respective crushes. There's no way that Tamako ends up with the prince, so that event serves as a catalyst for both Choi and Mochizou to get their act together and face how they really feel. There's going to be resolution to both sets of relationships in some form because you don't just set those up all willy-nilly without intending to resolve anything.
blkmage

Postby Zeldafan2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 am

blkmage wrote:My expectation is that Choi and the prince, and Mochizou and Tamako do end up together, respectively. It's been pretty clear that the setup has been for Tamako to be the prince's bride designate, while Mochizou and Choi have been set up as having secret longtime crushes on their respective crushes. There's no way that Tamako ends up with the prince, so that event serves as a catalyst for both Choi and Mochizou to get their act together and face how they really feel. There's going to be resolution to both sets of relationships in some form because you don't just set those up all willy-nilly without intending to resolve anything.

A lot of people are saying that, and I have a feeling this will probably be the path the series takes. However, considering this, I also believe my previous opinion (which I adapted from someone else I heard's opinions on the issue) that Midori doesn't really have a crush on Tamako per-say, because in the middle of all this plot confusion, I have a feeling that the conflict shown in episode 5 probably won't be touched on in the last two episodes if my theory is correct.

In terms of further interaction Midori and Mochizuo may have, she may end up helping him confess his feelings. But that's probably the most plot relevant interaction they are probably going to have.
Zeldafan2

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Amnesia episode 11:

I knew they'd do this route good. :thumb: Quite enjoyed this ep. and how intense it was at times.

As for the plot: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The 'how' of all the timeline-hopping by both characters will be explained in the finale (though I'll warn you in advance that it's not a scientific explanation-- but the show has included the whole supernatural-y thing with Orion from the very beginning, so that really shouldn't be a surprise :) ). But as for Ukyo himself, basically, if you imagine him like a certain character from Madoka Magica who also went through countless parallel timelines fruitlessly trying to save someone (not going to name them just in case, but if you've seen the series you know what I mean)... then add in the fact that in a good majority of these other timelines, the woman Ukyo loves and was once happily with not only doesn't even know him, but is with another man... *then* add in the fact that in each and every timeline, if she-- whom he has tried and failed to save countless times-- doesn't die in some awful fashion, *he* will (like that pretty darn frightening death in the well he was describing, which he had personally experienced at least once if not many times, among many other similar deaths)-- *plus* actually having to kill himself anyway if he fails, so he can get to another timeline to try again! :pikka: ... and then, to top it all off, this endless cycle of physical, emotional, and mental suffering finally breaking his mind and completely splitting his personality between his original, kind, gentle, and sacrificially-loving real self and a 'self' so desperate to survive for once that he will kill-- and in fact has killed-- her to do so (...making things even *worse* for him!), then you can begin to understand the hell the poor man has been through. :(

Just one more episode and it will all be resolved, though. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews