Anime bad language filter

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime bad language filter

Postby sonicfan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 pm

I have something called a TV Guardian. It's suppose to take bad language off of movies and tv shows. Sadly I tried to watch a Case Closed dvd and it wouldn't work. It's probably because it doesn't work on Funimation shows. But it has worked on Sony dudded shows like Astro Boy and Metropolis (although I don't think it gets the words exactly right on that one because of it being bilinguial.)

Wouldn't it be nice if there was such a thing as a filter to take bad language off of anime?
sonicfan

Postby Neane » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:56 pm

sonicfan (post: 1597504) wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if there was such a thing as a filter to take bad language off of anime?

But that would cause me to not enjoy Black Lagoon as much as I have for the past 2 years.
Neane

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 pm

I want a filter that removes personal pronouns from anime.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm

No, because it's still there, it's just bleeped out. And you would probably know what it was by the context anyway. It's just silly.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:16 pm

That's not always the case I mean maybe he was talking about fudge.

Nate

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Nate (post: 1597664) wrote:That's not always the case I mean maybe he was talking about fudge.

If he was talking about fudge than this thread is totally in the wrong place. Because I love fudge and it has very little to do with anime.
Atria35

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Speaking of editing out bad language...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Aq-FPmlc

Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 pm

TV Guardians only work if the title has closed captioning. The dvd case will have a the letters "cc" in a box if the title has it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:44 am

sonicfan (post: 1597504) wrote:I have something called a TV Guardian. It's suppose to take bad language off of movies and tv shows. Sadly I tried to watch a Case Closed dvd and it wouldn't work. It's probably because it doesn't work on Funimation shows. But it has worked on Sony dudded shows like Astro Boy and Metropolis (although I don't think it gets the words exactly right on that one because of it being bilinguial.)

Wouldn't it be nice if there was such a thing as a filter to take bad language off of anime?

I would appreciate that. Some of the new shows I like have limited sharing ability thanks to that brand of localization. Unfortunately, I don't have any workarounds, and as you can see, the demand for such a mechanism is fairly low.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42 am

That's a great way to teach your kids swear words. Give them a DVD of something with the language bleeped out and when the character says "[BLEEP] you!" or "I don't give a [BLEEP]!" they can say "Mommy/daddy what was that word they bleeped out?"

It's even worse than just having the word unbleeped in the first place!

Nate

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 am

Nate (post: 1597832) wrote:That's a great way to teach your kids swear words. Give them a DVD of something with the language bleeped out and when the character says "[BLEEP] you!" or "I don't give a [BLEEP]!" they can say "Mommy/daddy what was that word they bleeped out?"

It's even worse than just having the word unbleeped in the first place!

[redacted]
Last edited by Zeldafan2 on Tue May 15, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeldafan2

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 am

I've seen surprisingly little 'bad language' in shows that wouldn't have already been rate an equivalent R for violence or nudity... but I'm watching a lot of live streams that might be subbing differently than the final DVD results?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby K. Ayato » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Kids are endlessly curious. Even if you just call it a "bad word", they're gonna ask "Why is it so bad?" and leave you trying to find a satisfying answer.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:02 pm

I find when kids see swear words "bleeped" out as an acceptable way to present them, they just start using "bleep" itself as a cuss word. Which can be pretty awkward in public.

As for explaining cuss words to kids, we could always try the straightforward approach of saying "it's rude, don't repeat it"--or just "it's rude" for the more laid-back parent(s).

[SIZE="1"]But I'm not a parent so what do I know. [/SIZE]

Anyway, as for bad language filtering/censoring... that's something I never really cared about, honestly. If I don't want coarse language I won't watch stuff with it. If I'm frustrated I can't share something with a younger person because the language (or other content) is too extreme, I still don't share it with them.

Yeah, some things have cussing (or whatever) above and well beyond what's called for, and those works miiiight genuinely benefit from having it toned down or removed, but I find that's the exception rather than the rule. It doesn't make sense to censor cussing in everything, regardless of usage, and pretend it will never hurt a piece.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby DecooPunk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:28 pm

That would be a awesome invention
DecooPunk

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 pm

DecooPunk wrote:That would be a awesome invention

This isn't the thread about rocket shoes.

Nate

Postby Xeno » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Being someone who generally is against censorship, I don't see a need for something like this. Are there shows where it is excessive? Absolutely. If it bothers you then watch something else because the show was obviously not made for your demographic.
Xeno

Postby DecooPunk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Is the fact that I don't like hearing bad language really so bad?
But I doubt anyone could really make something to block out all the bad language from some anime and it still be watchable. That's why I stick to cleaner anime ^^
(Off subject, but rocket shoes should so be invented)
DecooPunk

Postby AndrewinIce » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't mind too much, though I prefer stuff without. Mainly because my little brother and sister sometimes walk in...And it would make showing parts to my parents easier ;)
The Creating of a Story, be it TV show, novel, video game, is process one can not undertake lightly. When you create a story, you had better be prepared for the emotional ties you will have to all characters, as they all come from you.
AndrewinIce

Postby skreyola » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm

There are certainly title out there that are really clean. Trouble is how many there are that aren't.
skreyola

Postby Nate » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:55 pm

DecooPunk wrote:Is the fact that I don't like hearing bad language really so bad?

I don't think anyone is saying that your not wanting to hear it is a bad thing, but the point is that if it bothers you, why watch a series with that language in the first place? As Atria said before, even if there was a filter that bleeped or silenced the word, you know enough bad language to know what was said, your brain is going to fill in the blank so to speak. You're still "hearing" the word even if you don't actually hear the word. For example.

"I just don't give a ****."

Even though I censored the word there, you already know that there are only three words that would fit there that are considered bad, and your brain automatically picked one and filled in the blank.

So the point Xeno is making (and I am backing) is that a filter for language is literally pointless and has no reason to exist, except perhaps for small children who don't know those words yet...but since you already know them, such a filter would be useless to you because your brain would subconsciously fill in the silence/beep with a word, so you'd still be "hearing" it in a sense.

Nate

Postby AndrewinIce » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 am

Nate (post: 1598375) wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that your not wanting to hear it is a bad thing, but the point is that if it bothers you, why watch a series with that language in the first place? As Atria said before, even if there was a filter that bleeped or silenced the word, you know enough bad language to know what was said, your brain is going to fill in the blank so to speak. You're still "hearing" the word even if you don't actually hear the word. For example.

"I just don't give a ****."

Even though I censored the word there, you already know that there are only three words that would fit there that are considered bad, and your brain automatically picked one and filled in the blank.

So the point Xeno is making (and I am backing) is that a filter for language is literally pointless and has no reason to exist, except perhaps for small children who don't know those words yet...but since you already know them, such a filter would be useless to you because your brain would subconsciously fill in the silence/beep with a word, so you'd still be "hearing" it in a sense.

I disagree. I think that 'thinking' is not as bad as 'hearing' or 'seeing'. An example would be in an unspecified show/movie. Someone is shot in the head, but right when the bullet reaches the head, it switches to another characters face.
You know what the persons head is going to do when the bullet hits it, but do you want to 'see' it?

I realize that many would say that 'cursing' and 'killing' are too different to compare, but to me their lumped in the same category. Anyways, that my two cents...
The Creating of a Story, be it TV show, novel, video game, is process one can not undertake lightly. When you create a story, you had better be prepared for the emotional ties you will have to all characters, as they all come from you.
AndrewinIce

Postby goldenspines » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 am

Backing the train up a bit, even past censoring bad language for kids, because this thread is not even about that, but why would someone want the bad language off of anime? Personal preference. Is that bad? No. Does that make them some type of weak and horrible person to edit the "pureness" of anime/any other show? No.
Plus, English equivalent of curse words don't even really exist in Japanese (I believe someone mentioned this in a thread a while back), so it's mainly editing on the part of the translators to English (they are not adding in words though, but simply making English/American equivalents. Like if in Japanese, it was said (loosely) "I can't believe I did that!" can be translated easily to "Crap!" or some other more colorful words that not only express the scene better in American terms, but also match the mouth movements better for dubbing).

[Side note Japanese lesson that probably no one will care about: Japanese is less of a verbal explaining language and more of a "unspoken" and "implied" language. For example, on an extreme note, if someone says "しね!" (lit. "go die!"), it doesn't mean "go kill yourself", but more "Leave me alone" or "Screw you" sort of mentality.]

Out of personal preference, I'd rather not have much cursing in anything I watch. While I can understand the cultural context for many of them, I just find them quite unnecessary and "weak" words only spoken when people don't know how to fully express themselves and a slaughter of a spoken/written language. Dropping a curse word is more for shock factor than actual content.
But, I can understand why people use curse words (it's more a cultural thing, as implied previously), I just don't particularly care to hear them in daily conversation or in the things I watch.

But bouncing up to what Mech mentioned, I actually haven't seen much bad language in the shows I watch (unless yes, it's rated R for other things. I don't think I've ever seen an anime rated R for bad language). I watch mostly live streams as well, though. The last dub I saw recently was for Ouran.
goldenspines

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews