Monster

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Monster

Postby tronethiel7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey, Me and my friends are considering watching the anime, Monster, but we try to be kind of specific about the shows we watch. The review in the anime section doesn't have specifics about the content. Can anyone give me a rundown of inappropriate content in the show, as well as the intent behind some of the content (nudity, and the purpose their of, language, level of pyschopathic violence, etc.) thanks guys!
" And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.â€
tronethiel7

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Monster really doesn't have fanservice. If anything it has disservice, and anything that shows up is in the service of the plot. The psychopathic violence is probably the heaviest issue, as the villian isn't above anything to gain his ends, hence the show title. It's not especially gory that I recall and the most traumatic incidents are less about the physical harm and more about the psychological pain that is associated with it, children being placed in danger and maniplated and the like. It's dark, but nothing is there just to meet an expectation really, at least the way I remember it. It's been a while since I've seen it though.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby SakuraChan73 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I watched this on Netflix a while ago wished I could have seen the dub though. The only thing that I could think of that would make it mature is the blood, the way the villain manipulates people, Some adult situations (nothing graphic though), I don't recall any language.

Its a psychological anime more than anything the plot twist makes you think more or for me it did. It does have a dark aura about it which makes the anime more interesting. I hope this helped this is based on watching the Japanese dub since I couldn't find the English dub.
SakuraChan73

Postby KnightOfFive » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Monster's a dark series but I would certainly agree with the above comments. The sexual themes I remember are in one episode where the title monster goes to eliminate someone in a red light district. Aside from one sexual instance offscreen (played for disgust) nothing overt happens. That's probably the worst I can think of.
Most warriors would find it beneath them to attack a girl. Especially when she wasn't looking. No person with any honor or pride would ever do such a thing. I bid you farewell and good riddance. You're not even worth lamenting.-Uryu Ishida
KnightOfFive

Postby eightluvver888 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm

No fanservice at all, but there are instances where females are shown top-naked in full detail. There are a couple scenes that were sexual in nature, but they were solely for plot purposes. It is not meant to stimulate viewers in any way, but keeps it realistic. They also go into red light districts quite a bit, but again, everything's for a reason. It's not innappropriate, just very mature.

Violent to a level, but not gratuitous or unnecessarily gory. Lots of people die in unpleasant ways.

Language is nothing I'd worry about, especially if you can handle everything else.

Its a very mature show but definitely worth your time. It's a psychological anime, and it does it brilliantly. The character development works perfectly with the main story, and you get a detailed part from everyone. You gotta watch it some time in your life! I've watched it somewhat recently, so I could probably answer more specific questions too.

As for sub vs dub, I love Johan's dub voice.
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews