Most romantic *non-romance* Anime series?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Most romantic *non-romance* Anime series?

Postby DarkNozomi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:49 am

I'm not a fan of romance anime; ie. where romance, or pursuing someone etc. is the main goal of the series. But I LOVE series that are about something else where love still happens. So, does anyone know/recommend any series that have really decent romantic subplots while still being about something cool?

I'll mention Gosick because man oh man, for a detective/mystery series, it was quite powerful. You WILL shed a tear on the last episode :P
DarkNozomi

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 am

G Gundam. Sure, it's Street Fighter with giant robots, but over the course of the show there's this understated romance between Domon, the main character, and Rain, his mechanic. For most of the show, it doesn't seem like Domon even notices how much Rain likes him, but it's really because he's been so focused on the tournament to do anything about it. But when the tide turns in the end and he's finally able to admit his feelings for her...wow.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:46 am

Full Metal Alchemist had some pretty romantic scenes between Ed and Winry and so did Eureka 7 with Renton and Eureka.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Falx » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 am

Eureka 7.

Edit: you win this time crustacean
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Steins;Gate.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby SakuraChan73 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Gundam Wing in a sense it was more of a hinted at then an actual romance at least that what I felt.
SakuraChan73

Postby Vii » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 am

Agreeing with:
Eureka Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist

Adding:
Hyouka
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Princess Mononoke
Spice and Wolf
Durarara (It's twisted, though.)
Vii

Postby Neane » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 am

I'm just going to agree with G Gundam and Steins;Gate.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Steins;Gate, Ginban Kaleidoscope, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann... soooo many! ^.^
Atria35

Postby skreyola » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Hmm... Time for a contest?
skreyola

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 pm

FMA: Brotherhood, definitely. It's an epic fantasy adventure story with oodles of suspense and heroism...and it also has the most beautiful, understated romance I've ever encountered: Royai <3 This story taught me how to handle romance in my own stories without making it annoying.

Baccano! is a very weird, gory, amazing story that you have to piece together as you go along. It has really strong characters who are all trying to achieve their own ends and obviously running into each other and causing problems when their goals interfere. It's definitely not the focus of the story, but there are a few romances scattered throughout the large cast of characters - even a few that aren't completely messed up like all the ones in Durarara!! :lol:

Chrno Crusade, if you can handle the demons and misunderstanding of Christianity, is another good adventure story that includes a romance between the main characters that is prominent, but not the central point of the plot. I was actually hoping for a brother-sister relationship, and it worked remarkably well for the first half of the story or so, but then it became clear that it was actually a romance. Oh well, at least it turned into a really good romance.

Most of the Miyazaki movies are good examples of stories with prominent romance that don't completely take over the plot. My personal favorite is Howl's Moving Castle.

Trigun is very much a shonen, with major focus on the fighting, but there are a couple romances of main characters hiding in the wings ;)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 pm

I totally agree with
Howl's moving castle
Spice and Wolf
FMA and FMA Brotherhood

I add
Kekkaishi
D.Gray Man
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I'll add Haruhi Suzumiya to the list.

Although the romance in that light novel series and the anime series is definitely unconventional considering you can never really tell what the sarcastic narrator Kyon and the crazed Haruhi are really thinking.
Yamamaya

Re: Most romantic *non-romance* Anime series?

Postby LastLfan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Just throwing out yoh and anna in shaman king, no spoilers though only seen ep 1-5
LastLfan

Postby SierraLea » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:16 pm

I'll add Spice and Wolf to my previous list. It's not blatently romantic, although it does have a lot of romantic elements.
SierraLea

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

{troll}Akira. Tetsuo and Kaori = most romantic evar. {/troll}

Nadesico has romantic elements... In that it's basically a Harem show SPOILER: Highlight text to read: even though the harem has a conclusion, unlike most of them. He actually, officially, permanently ends up with a girl at the end, and it is, indeed, the most obvious, though not the most interesting, one.

School Rumble also has romantic elements, though it's a love polyhedron. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: All of the wonky, urequited love connections are solved at the end, leaving only one main character alone... Poor Yakumo. Unless you're of, ahem, THAT persuasion, but those kind see signs in everything. "OMG He's eating a hotdog, you know what THAT means!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby minakichan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:35 pm

*coughSwordArtOnlinecough*

I mean, something completely different that's also extremely classy.
minakichan

Postby SierraLea » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 pm

There's two titles that I recently came across that are half romance, half other story. These are Crimson Hero and THe Story of Saiunkoku. Crimson Hero takes turns with its romance arcs and other arcs, which I think is a good motif so you don't get sick of either. The romance in Saiunkoku drives the story and also takes breaks.
SierraLea

Re:

Postby KnightOfFive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 am

SierraLea wrote:I totally agree with
Howl's moving castle
Spice and Wolf
FMA and FMA Brotherhood

I add
Kekkaishi
D.Gray Man

'
These.
KnightOfFive

Postby LastLfan » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 am

I agree with sword art online, and to go with knightoffives profile pic, minmea and rick from robotech
LastLfan

Postby Mullet Death » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 am

To be honest there aren't that many titles I've seen that DIDN'T have a decent romance sub-plot.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 am

I'd have to disagree with Kekkaishi. I just didn't feel like their relationship was romantic at all. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Tokine was always obnoxious and condescending, while Yoshi was futilely trying to gain her affection by making cake for her. It never developed into anything (though I can't complain there, I'm not big on romance), and in the end their relationship went back to the way it was. If anything, Tokine acted a little less like an evil witch and a little more like a big sister. I didn't really sense anything romantic in it.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby ForeverInspired » Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 am

Some would be Sword Art Online, Hyouka, Full Metal Panic!, and Howl's Moving Castle. Code Geass had some romantic elements amidst the constant destruction- but they pretty much disappeared right after they were put in there.
ForeverInspired

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews