Anime and Action club

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime and Action club

Postby sonicfan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:28 pm

I was thinking about starting an anime and action club at a nearby Christian teen hangout. Do you have any suggestions?

Here are some of the titles I have considered:
Android Kikaider
Angelic Layer
Astro Boy (1960s)
Astro Boy (2003)
Brigadoon
Corrector Yui
Dai-Guard
DICE
Digimon Adventure
Digimon the movie
Gigantor
Hamtaro
IGPX
Interstella 5555
Kimba the White Lion
Kirby Right Back at Ya!
The Legend of Himiko
Macron 1
Medabots
Megaman NT Warrior
Metropolis
Gundam Wing
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
Nausicaa
Patlabor
Robotech Macross
Sonic the movie
Sonic X
Speed Racer
Steam Boy
Steam Detectives
Super Grand Prix
Superbook
SD Gundam
Venus Wars
Whisper of the Heart
Zoids Chaotic Century
Zoids New Century Zero
Ruruouni Kenshin
Pokemon Black and White
Cardfight Vanguard

Here are some guidelines, questions and ideas...

Nothing too mature (example Deadman Wonderland)

No Yaoi, Yuri, Ecchi, and Hentai titles.

Nothing too spiritually questionable (example Chrono Crusade) since it's a Christian teen hangout I don't want to accidentally offend anybody.

English dubbed shows only.

Anime Reviews

How often and how long should the club meet?

Manga Library.
sonicfan

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Just so you know, Brigadoon contains two instances of the main heroine (A 13-year old girl) being nude.

In the Crisis Core City [because the Core needed to get her information without clothes in the way] and in the bathhouse [for obvious reasons]. I forgot the episodes where these take place, it has been a while since I watched it. I payed more attention to the OMG Depressing as hell story.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Hamtaro really isn't action, and would appeal most to the 5-year-old crowd. Not the people you'll be hanging out with. Medabots is just irritating, and again for that younger crowd. Megaman is the same.

Also, are you only going for action anime, or what? I'm confused by the name of the group.
Atria35

Postby eightluvver888 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:43 pm

I'd say avoid the more child-geared anime, like Atria said. Angelic Layer, Digimon, Sonic, Astro Boy, etc. As it's a Christian place, I'd say try to find something with at least moral underlyings, like maybe FMA or Death Note or something.

Are you just finding a corner for a specific group of people, or just having a general showing where anyone who walks in watches if they want? Whether the audience has already watched some shows could make a difference.
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm

I'd say Last Exile is a good bet. It has some pretty action-packed moments, and very little offensive material.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby SilverToast » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 pm

I like the choice for Interstella 555, but if the group doesn't like Daft Punk or house music then it will probably get awkward.

It seems best that you avoid anime developed for kids when you show teens. Even if it is the younger teen or pre-teen crowd.

What are the ages of the teens at the anime club? It would help to know so more age appropriate anime can be suggested. For example, 17 and up would be able to watch titles closer to tv mature rating.
SilverToast

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews