From the New World

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

From the New World

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 pm

About one thousand years into the future, civilization has been retrograded and humans are living dispersed within small communities. People in this era have a psychic power which materializes things they imagine. In the absence of advanced scientific technology, people are using this power as a major source of energy.

One day, a girl called Saki, along with her friends, finds a small archive robot outside the town. It records the ancient history of humans. It tells them that Juryoku was found in the 21st century and the discovery caused a world war between psychics and non-psychics. The psychics won this war and thus their reign of terror began.

When the adults in town figure out that the children discovered this forbidden knowledge, they seal their powers and exile them. Saki and the others end up in a forest where they meet a huge hairless bipedal mouse and get involved in a violent war the creatures are currently engaged in.

From the New World is based on a well-regarded sci-fi (real, not light) novel set in a post-apocalyptic dystopian future. Unlike typical made-for-anime light novels, this has had a slow and methodical buildup in its opening episodes. The staff is helmed by rookie director and veteran animator Ishihama Masashi. This has resulted in one of the more visually interesting shows of the season.

Streams on Crunchyroll on Tuesdays.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:03 am

Episode 4 was rather good.
Neane

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 am

I'm rather glad you made this thread, because I was considering doing so but I've already done two and I wasn't sure how many more I'd want to make.

Anyways, this show is pretty fascinating. The characters aren't terribly interesting yet but the world is super interesting and the atmosphere is fantastic. Each episode drops a little bomb at the end that is pretty crazy. I kind of wish I could actually read the novel, hopefully someone brings it over here.

I haven't seen four yet, but is anyone else pretty much sure that Shun is tripping death flags? I can't foresee him making terribly far.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:53 am

Yeah, I figured people would want to talk about this one. But it's the last thread I'm making, that's it, I'm done for the season, for reals.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:19 pm

O.O

Oh..oh wow. If this keeps itself to the tension and artistry in the first 5 minutes... we'll really have something. The animation and music weaved together... theres something really nice about it.

*continuing*

The art is great. The charachters are a bit bland style wise, but the rest, the storytelling sequence, the powers and the background are just beautiful. This is seeming like one of those shows where the environment and setting become a main and the most interesting charachter. This could crash and burn storywise, but I'm hoping not, and I'm really suspecting I'll keep with it, even if the story is a bit meh to watch what they do with the graphics and music.

Also using New World Symphony's Oboe Largo... that song is chilling WITHOUT the associated animation, with the things they're attaching to it visually... wooahhh.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 pm

My post about episode 3 + some other general comments about the series so far.

Also, I can't believe that I'd forgotten to mention the music until now-- it's amazing!

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1593859) wrote:Anyways, this show is pretty fascinating. The characters aren't terribly interesting yet but the world is super interesting and the atmosphere is fantastic. Each episode drops a little bomb at the end that is pretty crazy. I kind of wish I could actually read the novel, hopefully someone brings it over here.

I haven't seen four yet, but is anyone else pretty much sure that Shun is tripping death flags? I can't foresee him making terribly far.
^ Agree with the entire first paragraph there. And yeah, I've got to admit that you do seem to be right on that last point, too (unfortunately for my personal preferences, LOL :P). Still looking forward to the rest of this even if that's the case, though, because it's been excellent so far!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 am

Would it be unreasonable to ask for spoiler tags, for those following along with Crunchyroll which is a week behind for non-member viewers?

Anyway, this seems very intriguing so far. While the character designs are a bit simple, I actually really like the clothing designs.

Saki's "abusive" reactions to that one boy is getting on my nerves a bit and I totally only realised now while looking up images that the kid with the kinda fluffy hair is a boy.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:33 am

GeneD (post: 1593963) wrote:I totally only realised now while looking up images that the kid with the kinda fluffy hair is a boy.
Wait are you serious?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1593969) wrote:Wait are you serious?

It looks that way from the uniforms. The boys have the blue trimmings and their "bow" is tied differently from the girls.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Episode 4:

Man, I was getting goosebumps all through that. :pikka: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Also, I had already been speculating that the rat-people are (or had been, at some point) at least part human, and several things in this episode seem to lend some pretty good evidence to that theory.

Also: Yikes, so now we can add genetic manipulation/auto-suicide nastiness to the already sizable list of nastiness undergirding that society... :sweat:
Man, I'm just completely glued to the screen every episode. Next week, please! :thumb:
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Episode 5:

Whoa. :pikka: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: First things first: The art and the animation both seemed a bit weird this ep. (along with the characters' facial expressions, and some of the scene cuts/transitions and pacing, too) :eyebrow:, but I'm watching this more for the world and plot anyway, so whatever. :P

Second things second: Well, since they had already shown the second genetic manipulation kick into (partial) effect in the previous episode, it was obvious that the first one was going to show up at some point, as well. :sweat: However, I liked the fact that Saki stopped when she realized that they aren't animals, and thus didn't actually have to be controlled by their instincts/manipulated genes/programming.

And third things third: Some of the story stuff was kinda bizarre (that queen... :pikka:)-- and the weird transitions/pacing didn't help, either :P-- but everything was eventually explained, and I actually kinda like Satoru a bit now (he was just kinda annoying before, however now he actually appears to have a brain :P). Plus I'm incredibly curious as to what happened to the other kids. (This show *really* knows how to do cliffhangers! :?:) So, even though the ep. was a little weird overall, I was still on the edge of my seat, and still enjoyed it. :)
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Serious contender for most impressive show of the season. Animation was fantastic.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm

It's because of the episode director for this episode, Shigeyasu Yamauchi, who directed Casshern Sins. It really shows.
blkmage

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm

My first thought(s): Wait... Did it look this way last week? An art shift?

But by the end, it didn't matter and I look forward to next week once again! :D
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Episode 6: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: First, was very glad to see that the art/animation/etc.-- particularly the characters' expressions and the scene transitions/cuts-- were all pretty much back to normal again.

Second, I kinda had no idea what was going on after the title screen at first (I mean, were they air-deprived? Or did they end up getting a whiff of that gas anyway? Because that looked like one seriously weird hallucination/dream :sweat:), but the stuff afterwards was great (for example, that was really smart of Saki to figure out the sealing/unsealing stuff, though it's unfortunate that she can't remember her *own* mantra so she could get her powers unsealed as well).

It was also pretty impressive to see the powers unleashed in more creative ways-- though it looks like Satoru can be a tad sadistic when he's pushed. :pikka:

Finally, those rats: Something seemed awfully fishy about them throughout this entire episode. (Plus at least some of them have the ability to shapeshift?! :pikka:) And man, that is one massive army... :pikka:
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Neane » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 am

Finished episode 7 of Shinsekai Yori.

[spoiler]It's seems they finally got reunited after so long, though we probably will see squealer again it just doesn't seem like were done with them. It seems like it's going to get a lot darker next episode, I can't wait.[/spoiler]
Neane

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Episode 7:

Interesting. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Liked that new rat general. And I'm glad the kids all found a way to get their powers back. However, judging by the voiceover at the end, apparently the adults still know (or eventually discover) that something was up?

Also, via the next-ep. preview, guess the timeskip happens next week. (Along with something else that I unfortunately figured would appear... :shake: I just hope it's not shown any more than that Saki/Satoru scene was. :sweat:)
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, that was... unexpected.

The fact that everyone is bi all of a sudden aside, though, something felt kind of off about this episode. A lot of it felt kind of sloppy, though I can't really tell why. I've heard some people complain about the exposition in this show and maybe I'm seeing it now? I dunno.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

[spoiler]Poor fluffy haired boy (I can never remember his name). From my understanding of bonbos, a couple questions have come to mind:

Why are all positions of power held by males? (That we've seen of course). You'd think after 3000 years there would be an even 50/50 split... Plus, bonbos are matriarchal, aren't they?

Also, I was under the understanding that bonbos do not participate in infanticide... :/

I have to agree with Mr. Hat'n'Clogs, this episode didn't feel as strong to me as the past ones (Maybe it's the timeskip?). But the episode preview was more interesting. [/spoiler]
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that part of the reason this episode felt off was that there wasn't really disturbing like the show has been before, whether it be the really creepy 'something is wrong here' vibe of the early episodes or the much less subtle tone of the episodes before this one. Well, the sudden underage sex was disturbing but I'm not sure how intentional that part was. It certainly didn't feel like I should be freaking out from the direction of the scene. Even though it should have been obviously worrisome that the adults know what happened two years ago, none of that really made it feel off so instead we get everyone pining for someone.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 pm

I think it was meant to be unsettling. You have to remember the context of what's happening: we've been told that everything that's a result of the society has been a result of some deliberate engineering, whether social or genetic. And now, they're aware of that and it's pretty clear there is some discomfort and tension there.

Also, remember that they only tried to work in a part of the bonobo's behaviour and also that it wasn't enough or didn't work out as perfectly as they'd hoped.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 pm

^ Agreed.

As for my own thoughts on episode 8: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: :pikka: ...Ugh. I mean, I knew some kind of yaoi/yuri was going to happen (it was obvious between it being mentioned back in ep. 4 or whatever and then from the preview of this ep. last week), but I wasn't expecting the full-out tongue kissing and stuff there. :sweat: :sweat: So much for my hope of it being less shown... :forehead: :sweat:

Thankfully, though, it seems that this was mostly gotten out of the way here, since at the end of the ep. it was back to plot. Speaking of which, I'm very curious as to why the adults 'delayed their punishment,' why Shun said to stay away from cats, and also what is wrong with him (it's obviously something to do with his powers, but exactly what I'm not sure-- though, yes, it indeed looks like whatever it is will be fatal for him :().
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby DarkNozomi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:16 am

I couldn't even make it through the first episode... I found it so boring and confusing :(
DarkNozomi

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Episode 9:

Ah, *much* better! Now it's back to the show I know-- nice and dark and tense. :thumb: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: In fact, I got goosebumps all through the last section (from the partially-unlocked memory of Saki's sibling all the way to the end). And as for the explanation of what's wrong with Shun-- well, that certainly makes sense now. Plus, what a cliffhanger! :pikka:
Last edited by MangaRocks! on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby SierraLea » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Will someone tell me where I can find this Online for free?
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 pm

^ It's on Crunchyroll. :)
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Re: From the New World

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Episode 10: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: As for the art/animation/direction, it was obvious that this ep. had the same director as ep. 5, but thankfully the issues with the actual directing of the scenes and the transitions between them-- as well as the odd expressions on the characters' faces-- that had been present in ep. 5 were completely remedied here. So, no complaints from me about that. :)

As for the story: ...Whoa-- so that's what the collar was for! :pikka: That was intense. :pikka:

Lots of good explanation in this ep., too.

Oh man, though, Shun's parents (!)... and Subaru... and then Shun himself. :( I mean, yes, it was obvious that it was coming, but it was still pretty darn sad nevertheless.

(Though I am slightly surprised that Saki didn't {fully} respond in kind either of the times that Shun said he loved her {once indirectly and once directly!}-- though I suppose he probably already knew. But, still... :P )

In all, excellent episode!
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Episode 11: Well, just when you thought that their society couldn't get any more twisted... :pikka: I mean, seriously, all of that other stuff-- SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the genetic, social, moral, and emotional manipulation; the execution of all who fall outside of certain parameters; the erasing/sealing of feelings and memories; and the list goes on-- was already plenty terrible enough. But then to throw SPOILER: Highlight text to read: implanted false feelings/memories (not just erasing/sealing the 'undesirable' ones) on top of that... man, the leaders of that society really do have no shame in violating people on every possible level.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Episode 12: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Some great plot explanations/revelations here.

Also, LOL at the detailed and surprisingly convincing made-up story Satoru told the other kid when they were about to go out and search for Mamoru. :grin:

Hope Mamoru's alright... :pikka:
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby blkmage » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 am

The most interesting thing was how convincing she was in justifying the draconian preventative measures on society.
blkmage

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews