Magi: Wealth, power, and even immortality if you wish. Tell me what it is you want?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Magi: Wealth, power, and even immortality if you wish. Tell me what it is you want?

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Magi is an anime from studio A-1 Pictures that has started airing as of today and is based on a manga from Ohtaka Shinobu.

The young boy Aladdin is proclaimed a Magi, one with the power to guide a king. Living in a continent filled with strife, harsh class structure, and slavery, he meets the young man Alibaba, who wishes to have enough wealth "to buy an entire country". This would seem difficult for young, penniless, and powerless Alibaba, except for one thing, the world's Dungeons. Mysterious structures that have appeared from the ground, they are dangerous to all but the strongest, but the strongest will emerge with untold magical treasures. Alibaba is certainly not the strongest, but Aladdin and his djinn Ugo could possibly qualify for that position.

And so their journey unfolds~

Of particular note is that Magi is not only being directed by Masunari Koji, who you could potentially know from R.O.D, Kamichu!, or Welcome to the Space Show, but it is running in the 5 PM Sunday timeslot. Something of the golden hour for anime, it has run such past shows as Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brohood), every post 2000 Gundam, Star Driver, and Ao no Exorcist. Additionally, it is a 90th anniversary project for Shogakukan. These two facts pretty much guarantee that this thing will be pumped full of money, and indeed, the first episode looked great. If you saw Ao no Exorcist and enjoyed it until the dumb anime original ending, I wouldn't be too worried about that here because Magi has about double the material out that AoEx did when it started airing, and also runs in a weekly magazine, which means about double the pages per month.

I'm pretty sure you've all heard of One Piece, but I'm sure many of you are daunted by the gigantic length of it. Magi, while far from a carbon copy of it (much better fights), reminds me a lot of One Piece and I think if you can give it a chance you'll get swept into the ADVENTURE and FRIENDSHIP of it. Because really, I think deep down most of us want to like shonen adventure.

Airs on Crunchyroll on Wednesdays.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Magic turban go!

I was thoroughly impressed by the first episode. It was a lot of fun and had a great spin on the Arabian Nights setting.

But Aladdin, why do you look five years old? XD;;
goldenspines

Postby skreyola » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:13 pm

He's not 5 years old?
skreyola

Postby Maokun » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm

*sees "Magi" in the title*

*is asked what my wish is*

*runs away like hell*

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 am

I checked out the manga on this a while back and I'm thrilled to see it animated. This'll be a must watch for me probably.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Falx » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:35 am

The little kid's... fondness... for boobies is a little odd, that aside it was pretty darn good.

Edit: And I'm sorry but that pants is really stupid looking. It looks like he's pooped himself to an unseemly degree.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:24 pm

I like the cut of this show's jib
blkmage

Postby Cadence » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 pm

I think I've made it quite (obnoxiously) apparent that I'm a huge fan of this manga...so I will be definitely be following this as long as I can before I leave in November.

About the episode itself - I'm glad that they warned us ahead of time they would be changing the first few chapters quite a bit, otherwise I think I would have been pretty annoyed. As it was, I thought the shifting of events worked pretty well as an introduction, though I was a bit disappointed with the way they handled Alibaba's personality and some of my favorite bits from the early chapters of the manga had to be cut. Oh well. I enjoyed it regardless.

Also, though I've been stalking all the updates of the key visuals/character designs/PVs etc. since the anime adaption was announced, I somehow missed (I guess I'll put this in a spoiler just in case - it's about a character who hasn't appeared in the anime yet) [spoiler]Judal's (Judar? I don't know what the "official" romanization is) ~fabulous~ purple eyeshadow until I noticed it in the OP. [/spoiler]It made me laugh pretty hard.
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby GeneD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 am

Falx (post: 1592224) wrote:The little kid's... fondness... for boobies is a little odd, that aside it was pretty darn good.
Yeah that was weird. I must admit that when he jumped Alibaba's boss in the beginning I sat in shock for a second and then cracked up and laughed for ten minutes.

It also took me a while to get used to Aladdin's voice since he sounds like a girl every now and again. Yes, I know he's voiced by a lady.

I am curious about why the djinn's head is missing.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:32 am

GeneD (post: 151592465) wrote:I am curious about why the djinn's head is missing.
It's stuck inside the flute.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:18 am

Yeah the Djinn is shy and doesn't let his head out of the flute because he doesn't want to show his face.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:38 am

That's adorable.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:45 am

At least, thats what the manga said... not sure how the anime is doing it yet because I'm trying to wait on CR.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:59 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1592484) wrote:Yeah the Djinn is shy and doesn't let his head out of the flute because he doesn't want to show his face.

:'D

I am loving this series more and more.
goldenspines

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm honestly having a lot of fun with this series. My only thing is how Aladdin is obsessed with the boobs (though yes, I also cracked up when he was fondling the boss). Other than that, I'm digging it!
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 pm

This week: Aladdin is Mihashi levels of moe~ (seriously, listen to his voice), Alibaba is the best friend you could want, and we learn how the Japanese pronounce the title (Maggie).
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:38 pm

This week's episode reminded me of the Cave of Wonders! I did grow up with Disney after all. ._.
Either that or a LoZ dungeon with the spirals of fire and stuff.

I'm glad we got to see more of Morgana, though. =D
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:56 pm

why didn't they take the lady with them :<
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:23 pm

blkmage (post: 1593248) wrote:why didn't they take the lady with them :<

She wouldn't come because she's too conditioned to obey her master, even if she wants to.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Cadence » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Wow, the animation quality dropped quite a bit this week. I'm a little disappointed by how quickly they are rushing through this, since it necessitates half of the humorous bits being cut, but it is still pretty fun. I like how they are retaining a significant amount of the reaction faces from the manga. Aladdin is adorable.

(◎_◎)

┗(◎_◎)
"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Cadence

Postby Cadence » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 am

Episode 3: Ballerina Alibaba! Amon is blue?! His voice was the greatest thing ever. Also, dat purple eyeshadow. I really like the music in this.

I think this was the best episode so far - looking forward to next week.
Cadence

Postby blkmage » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 am

friendship yay ヽ( ゚∀゚)ノ
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am

The music was great this episode, especially during the sword fight. And the ending song, it's super uplifting.
[spoiler]I'm glad that city ruler guy is gone, half way through the episode I was literally wishing a giant rock would fall on him, so the end was very satisfying.

I'm surprised about how dark the slavery stuff is, considering how silly some other parts can be. I think it was very effective that none of Alibaba or Aladdin's words got through to Morgiana, but a fellow slave and someone who understands the things she's been through can set her free.[/spoiler]Really liked seeing more Alibaba being freaking awesome and the djinn conversation was hilarious.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 pm

[quote="blkmage (post: 1594268)"]friendship yay ヽ]This so much. Show of the season.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm was somewhat bothered by the fact that a man from pre-10th century Arabia is using a rapier, a weapon from the 16th century, other than that it is a fun show and I will keep watching.
Neane

Postby GeneD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:41 am

Neane (post: 1594496) wrote:I'm was somewhat bothered by the fact that a man from pre-10th century Arabia is using a rapier, a weapon from the 16th century, other than that it is a fun show and I will keep watching.
I've seen you make similar comments about other shows, so honest question: Why do you expect (or want) historical accuracy in a fantasy anime with magic, flying carpets and people with borderline superpowers?

Without checking up anything on the series, do we know that it is, in fact, supposed to be set on Earth?

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Cadence » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:31 am

Episode 4:

So all of the major political players in the story have been at least been mentioned by now...I forgot this occurred so early on. The pacing of the adaption is still incredibly fast and there was some pretty wonky animation, but I'm really enjoying this. Nana Mizuki as Hakuei was perfect. Seishun is the cutest thing ever, though he seems taller than I remember. Granny is still awesome. I want a hug from Aladdin, too!

According to an exciting tweet from the official Project Magi twitter, next episode will have some changes from the manga, specifically [spoiler]they will show Hakuei's djinn equip!!! Or at least I'm assuming that is what it is...it is referred to as 白瑛の○装 バージョン[/spoiler] This actually hasn't been shown in the manga yet, and the mangaka designed it herself for the anime, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Cadence

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 am

everything was going so well, too :<
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 pm

well that's an, uh, interesting character design Image
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Understandable character design for a djinn, but er, nudity warning for this episode. >_>;;

Otherwise, great episode, loved the fight scenes with Princess Hakuei. =D
goldenspines

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews