Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!: Mom, I told you, my name is DARK FLAME MASTER

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!: Mom, I told you, my name is DARK FLAME MASTER

Postby blkmage » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 pm

So you're fourteen and you're coming into your own. You want to show everyone you've got it together. You're not like the others. You're going to make a difference. You're different. Nothing can stop you.

You start drinking coffee, because you just need that morning jolt to get on your day, even though you don't feel it, BUT STILL. You start listening to obscure electronica, because that mainstream stuff just doesn't do it for you anymore. You become moody and distance yourself from your peers because you don't need anyone else. You have your eyes opened to see the truth of this decaying society and criticize it loudly. You have a power that awakens inside you and with great power comes great responsibility.

You've got 中二病, chuunibyou, the fourteen year-old or eighth-grader's disease.

Chuunibyou demo Koi gat Shitai! is an adaptation of a light novel that's published and produced by Kyoto Animation.

It follows Yuuta (CV: Fukuyama Jun) who formerly suffered from chuunibyou, adopting the alter-ego DARK FLAME MASTER. Now, having grown a bit and entering high school, he wants to leave that embarrassing part of his life behind him. Unfortunately, fate won't allow this and places Rikka (CV: Uchida Maaya) in his life. Unlike Yuuta, Rikka is still full-on chuunibyouing it up, with her Tyrant's Eye of Truth.

Basically, this is a romantic comedy. Yuuta tries to be normal, Rikka does chuu2ish shenanigans. They will be painfully embarrassing. Maybe you will recall the stupid crap you did when you were 14 too. If you can't think of anything stupid you did when you were 14, you might still be chuunibyouing. If you are 14, well, uh, see you in a few years. There'll likely be a ton of reference-ish type gags. Because it's KyoAni, production will be gorgeous and direction will be excellent.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:12 pm

I've been sold on this since a) I heard the premise and b) Hyouka was second best show of the year. First episode is downloaded and I will eagerly be watching it tomorrow.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Oh... oh no... this show...

One of my quirks is when I see someone do something horrifically embarrassing I feel the same kind of shame as if it was happening to me...

This... show... it hurts....nnngghhhh and I'm going watch the heck out of it.

Also it looks like KyoAni is trying to get some fanservice money to fund whatever they do next.

It's KyoAni fanservice though so it's as pure as the driven snow compared to most other shows doing the same. Just don't expect something as chaste as Hyouka.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby TWWK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Very cute first episode.

Also, up up down down left right left right B A. Win.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

KIRABOSHI
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm

My Past: The Anime.

But really, this is pretty fun so far; a lot of little fun quirks are present thus far (see: roller shoes).
But man, it's a little creepy though, since it makes me nostalgic. >_>;; I'm feeling a bit like Yuuta. XD;
goldenspines

Postby Ubernator » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 pm

I was unaware this anime was already released, does anyone know if a site like crunchyroll will be getting it?
Ubernator

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 pm

^ It's not been announced by Crunchy as of now. At least one other site-- called The Anime Network-- is getting it for sure, but apparently only the first ep. is going to be free there; after that they'll require a subscription.

Anyway, just watched the first ep., and I definitely LOL'd at multiple points. :grin: Plus the end of the episode was surprisingly sweet. Looking forward to more of this! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby TheMewster » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:37 am

If I have the time, I may have to watch at least the first episode. What's the level of bad content in it so far? *is very picky about what she watches*
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Falx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am

TheMewster (post: 1591963) wrote:If I have the time, I may have to watch at least the first episode. What's the level of bad content in it so far? *is very picky about what she watches*

Well here's the OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZ_MGB5CKo

That's as far as it goes so far. So if you can watch that you can watch the series.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby eightluvver888 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Just watched episode 1, and I'm excited to follow it!
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow...........

That was so odd, and yet so AWESOME at the same time! I'll definitley be following this!
Zeldafan2

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 am

I watched the first episode yesterday and while it was fun, it's probably lowest on my list of anime priorities right now. I'll continue watching it as long as time allows.

I lol'd at the bit where he was basically just smacking her on the head for a while.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 am

First Episode:
Well, it's KyoAni so it's gorgeous. It also seems to be centered around hitting people in the head. <.<;;

Pretty fun, funniest part was when she lifts the eye patch.
[spoiler]After all the drama it's a contact.[/spoiler]

And I loved the description of 8th grader syndrome at the beginning with the coffee and stuff. Overactive imagination... yeah.

I think people with this tend to become writers later <.<;;.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm

KYOTO ANIMATION

the entire second half of this episode

beautiful
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Man, that battle was great.

Beware the ladle. D:
goldenspines

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. ...I actually did the calculator-as-code-to-the-door thing for a while myself when I was around that age... :sweat::lol:

As for the story, it's funny how Yuuta's so embarrassed about everything but new girl Tsuyuri just thinks it's cute and fun. :grin: Oh, and Rikka's sister is a little bit nasty, isn't she? :grin:

Also, ROTFL at how they worked in that Zelda meme! :lol: (Plus "Stop tripping death flags," LOL.) And, of course: BATTLE. :wow!:

I'm quite enjoying this. :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Ep 2 -

I kinda feel sorry for the cat getting caught up in this.
Also... *cough* oh the mind of the high school freshman male *cough* a hamster wheel may be a good representation.

Ahhh theres a joke that's a loss to english speakers, the whole name means something like a date.

.... Rikka's room... no...words...

Rikkas sister... I feel so bad for her having to deal with Rikka DIVING out the window and trying to chain her to her bed. Also... she's kind of awesome with how agile and tricky she is. Current favorite charachter of show aside from Yuuta.

Ahhh Kyoani battles. This studio is awesome.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Falx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Ohoho Yuuta, not so above it after all.

Falx

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 am

I would like to remind everyone that there are web shorts being released each week that are also being subbed and offer a supplementary perspective to all of the things that happen on the main show.

blkmage

Postby Falx » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:26 am

I almost wet myself when I saw him meditating.

Falx

Postby Zeldafan2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Oh my gosh, that was so freaking AWESOME!!! The battle scenes were probably my favorite part, and I think this episode easily outclasses the first one. Now, I find it even harder to wait for next week's episode.
Zeldafan2

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm

The first short was pretty hilarious, and explains how she's...uhhh... improved.

Second one... oh Yuuta. Pyramid meditation? Really... He was as bad as Rikka is now.... no wonder he's constantly embarassed. You've come a long way buddy...

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby GeneD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:43 am

I enjoyed this episode much more than the first one. Rikka's sister is awesome.

I loved how the battle is depicted as seen through Rikka's imagination. Although Yuuta looks down on it, I'm reminded just how spectacular and unlimited a kid's imagination can be and how it's actually a bit sad that it should be viewed as embarrassing once a person grows up a bit.

Hopefully I can catch up with the shorts sometime today.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:19 am

GeneD (post: 1592705) wrote:I enjoyed this episode much more than the first one. Rikka's sister is awesome.

I loved how the battle is depicted as seen through Rikka's imagination. Although Yuuta looks down on it, I'm reminded just how spectacular and unlimited a kid's imagination can be and how it's actually a bit sad that it should be viewed as embarrassing once a person grows up a bit.

Hopefully I can catch up with the shorts sometime today.

I think that the issue isn't her imagination but her method of expression. The problem with Chuunbyou/8th grade syndrome (as I see it) is that it's someone who has to be starting to act more reserved, instead rewriting the world around them and disregarding reality in a disruptive manner. It's playing like a little kid without considering the consequences of your age, size or responsibilities.

It's sort of like... taking a LARP (live action roleplay) and acting it out in school or office, and forcing everyone around you to be a part of it, whether they want to or not. If Rikka was playing this charachter in a LARP or a tabletop game, nobody would think anything of it (and we wouldn't have this show <.<; ), or if she was drawing or writing it she'd be like most other artists in high school. I think what defines 8th grade syndrome is the sort of disruptive retreat from reality it represents, and the sort of offense that Yuuta takes and has realized about it is that he's realized how that sort of blatant rejection of reality (and substitution of your own) effects your relations to other people.

Imagination isn't the enemy in this show as I see it, it's the wholesale surrender of yourself to your imagination without regard for it's effect on your relations with the people around you.

I know I'm thinking alot about this, but I honestly GET this show because it's really close to home. Mine was more 5th-6th grade syndrome... but honestly I still have a little strain of it running through me, probably the strain that makes me write and draw and play RPG's and wargames and stuff, and I'm hoping (and trusting Kyoani with this) that they're not going to portray having that crazy imaginative streak as a bad thing so much as learning the appropriate outlets for it as a natural part of growing up. Going from how Kyoani has handled maturation stories in the past (K-On!/!! especially) I think they've got a good grip on this concept.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:13 pm

I suspect there are at least one or two more characters who are candidates for being in a similar position as Yuuta.
blkmage

Postby eightluvver888 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:58 pm

I love Rikka's sister, lol. And the shorts were awesome, 'specially the last one. There are three of them, right?
eightluvver888

Postby GeneD » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1592710) wrote:I think that the issue isn't her imagination but her method of expression.

etc.
Those are some really good points, I didn't think about it like that. I guess from 25 14 feels really young, but it's not really so young that this sort of behaviour wouldn't seem odd.

Anyway, the shorts are great. I love how confused Yuuta's family was about his chuunibyou but also kind of took it in their stride. And that ending song.

I got a message today from a friend of mine who is a teacher.
Her: "Bloody grade 9's. Ages 14-16 are the WORST! I'm so glad I'm not that age any more."
Me: "So I have this anime you should see..."
XD

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Zeldafan2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:56 pm

[quote="mechana2015 (post: 1592710)"]I think that the issue isn't her imagination but her method of expression. The problem with Chuunbyou/8th grade syndrome (as I see it) is that it's someone who has to be starting to act more reserved, instead rewriting the world around them and disregarding reality in a disruptive manner. It's playing like a little kid without considering the consequences of your age, size or responsibilities.

It's sort of like... taking a LARP (live action roleplay) and acting it out in school or office, and forcing everyone around you to be a part of it, whether they want to or not. If Rikka was playing this charachter in a LARP or a tabletop game, nobody would think anything of it (and we wouldn't have this show <.<]

I didn't think of this before, but this is all a very good point.
Zeldafan2

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:56 pm

It also explains why Yuuta's family is unfazed by his new weird friend.
blkmage

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews