Sword Art Online: KiriAsu Authorized ShipCenter®

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Sword Art Online: KiriAsu Authorized ShipCenter®

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:59 am

Better late than never, I suppose.

Sword Art Online is based on a light novel in which people get trapped in a fictional virtual reality MMORPG by the same name. The only way to get out is to clear the game.

Reasons you might want to watch this:
- Decent animation
- You like vidya games
- You like swords
- The mechanics actually resemble video games (unlike, say, .hack)
- Kirito x Asuna

Reasons you might not want to watch this:
- The premise is kinda stupid
- Your suspension of disbelief will be brutally tested
- It's chuunibyou like mad

I think I'm pretty clear on why I'm watching it. Still, it's pretty popular, so I figured some people would want to talk about it. There's still like half a season left. You can watch it on Crunchyroll on Saturdays.
blkmage

Postby junomoule » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 am

First time I came across the premise, I remember giving a big ol' hefty sigh because it seemed like a .Hack rip-off. Was pleased to find that it was of a higher quality than I was anticipating. As mentioned, the animation isn't too bad and it'll be fun to see where it goes.

Eeyep, it's worth talking about some - haven't quite caught up with the series yet, but I've been watching an episode or two over lunch a few days a week. It's easy to watch, a series you can relax to without a complete loss of quality. Even it's more cliche aspects are pulled off enjoyably, even if it's not much of a series for curveballs... At least thus far. That could change, of course.

It's charming.
[color="#DE979B"]j u n o m o u l e[/color]
[size="1"]manifesto - the city harmonic
[color="#D3A2A6"]"life is like a moustache it can be wonderful or terrible but it always tickles"
!random messages welcome![/color][/size]
junomoule

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 am

Ah, something I can talk about.

I started watching because I missed .hack. Except that this time, there's less involvement of the real world, so it's sorta like a fantasy story that's partially more realistic than most because it's in an MMO (I say partially because...
[spoiler]I still can't believe how they are stuck there. You'd think with all that press coverage about dying people, the game would have been shut down by the authorities.[/spoiler]
). There's a much more gentle aura with respect to the environment. Kirito's also a pretty likeable guy in my book, despite the fact that as he's about as flat as most characters I've seen.

- Your suspension of disbelief will be brutally tested
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
It's very episodic (thus far), so I guess they have to keep some suspense??

There's still like half a season left.
It's funny, though, how fast they're whipping through the thing. Some people on CR are disappointed it won't overflow to a second season, although I'm thinking they may have one anyway, assuming they follow the other novels.

You can watch it on Crunchyroll on Saturdays.
At 2PM to be precise.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am

The authorities don't shut it down because it will literally kill everyone trapped inside.

Suspension of disbelief refers to your ability to willingly suspend or put aside your disbelief at the implausibility of certain aspects of the narrative. For example, we suspend our disbelief that giant bipedal robots are a feasible military weapon because even though it doesn't make sense physically, giant robots are pretty cool.

Anyway, I've read the novels and I know why they're going at the pace they're going at. I'm not sure anyone should be worried anymore that there's not going to be more, because Aniplex is going to be making bank on this thing.
blkmage

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 pm

blkmage (post: 1589074) wrote:The authorities don't shut it down because it will literally kill everyone trapped inside.
No, not like, shut off the servers - I do recall the battery thing. I mean like, they could just go straight to Akihiko Kayaba and tell him to shut it down.

Suspension of disbelief refers to your ability to willingly suspend or put aside your disbelief at the implausibility of certain aspects of the narrative. For example, we suspend our disbelief that giant bipedal robots are a feasible military weapon because even though it doesn't make sense physically, giant robots are pretty cool.
Ah, ok. gotcha. What's the most notable thing that comes to your mind with respect to this story?
ABlipinTime

Postby Neane » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm

No, just no.
Neane

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:07 pm

Neane (post: 1589090) wrote:No, just no.

how dare people talk about something I hate
blkmage

Postby airichan623 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 pm

when I saw the name, I thought blkmage had gotten hacked by a spambot....xD

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1589086) wrote:No, not like, shut off the servers - I do recall the battery thing. I mean like, they could just go straight to Akihiko Kayaba and tell him to shut it down.

There's a reason (which will be touched on later) why this probably wouldn't work.

ABlipinTime (post: 1589086) wrote:Ah, ok. gotcha. What's the most notable thing that comes to your mind with respect to this story?

Kirito
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 pm

D'aaaw, I was going to make this thread in the near future but I guess that will just give me more time to make a Magi thread.

ABlipinTime (post: 1589086) wrote:No, not like, shut off the servers - I do recall the battery thing. I mean like, they could just go straight to Akihiko Kayaba and tell him to shut it down.
But why would a guy obviously willing to kill thousands of people shut down SAO since he was clearly aware of the potential ramifications.

Anyways, this is possibly my favorite dumb show and one of my most anticipated things each week, possibly as high as number two. I love that it's basically just a fantasy adventure with video game trappings, so I am basically willing to forgive all the bad things because I love fantasy. It certainly isn't bad though, and unless you really want to hate it it is a very enjoyable show with very pretty animation and lovely music. Also Klein is a bro.

I did just finish the first novel last night and I'm fairly interested with how they're planning on pacing the second half, since the first half of the show has covered a good 2/3rds of the first novel and a large chunk of that was sidestories not in the first book.

EDIT:
blkmage wrote:Anyway, I've read the novels and I know why they're going at the pace they're going at. I'm not sure anyone should be worried anymore that there's not going to be more, because Aniplex is going to be making bank on this thing.

That's what we said about Durarara!! :<
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Well, Durarara only broke 20k. SAO preorders are already at 25k and there's still about four or five weeks before release.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:05 pm

LOL, nice title there, blkmage. :grin: And yep, this thread just confirms that I really need to start reading the novels for this. *puts higher on priority list* :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 pm

I'd really suggest going with the anime if you're interested. Neither are amazing but the anime paces things a lot better and doesn't have Kirito's dumb narration.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm not sure if his narration is that bad, but the translation and editing definitely is. But yes, I'd also suggest going the anime route, at least for the equivalent of the first major arc.
blkmage

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:03 pm

blkmage (post: 1589163) wrote:I'm not sure if his narration is that bad, but the translation and editing definitely is.
Oh dear. :sweat: Well, I *was* aware that the novels are just fan-translated at the moment, so I wasn't really expecting superb editing in the first place, LOL]I'd really suggest going with the anime if you're interested.[/quote]
blkmage (post: 1589163) wrote:I'd also suggest going the anime route, at least for the equivalent of the first major arc.
Interesting. I actually tend to prefer reading anyway, *especially* if said book came first (since, minus a few rare cases, I'm a pretty firm "go-with-the-source-material-first-when-possible" type; always have been, and suspect I always will). :sweat: That said, however, since each of you have checked out both the novels and the anime and are agreeing on this, I'll go ahead and trust you guys on it and check out the anime first (though, of course, if I like what I see I'll still read the novels as well ;)). Thanks for the advice! :)
Saved by grace.

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm

blkmage (post: 1589109) wrote:Kirito
Why? I'll admit, being an uber-awesome rogue is kinda stereotypical (although it makes more sense for such a person to win the game), but it seems possible... well, at least until he's fighting bosses singlehandedly. Anyone else notice in that last one (9) that the boss shrunk alittle in size?
ABlipinTime

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Watching the last couple episodes made me realize that this is basically what you'd have if you made a Fire Emblem MMO, from Kirito going around getting supports to the structure with the hundred floors in order to clear, to the strategies for boss fights, and obviously the people dying when they are killed thing. This makes me feel much less bad about liking it as much as I do.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby GeneD » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:05 am

I was elated to discover something that Crunchyroll streams that's "available in my region", so promptly watched the first episode. Unfortunately my internet died due to bad weather so I couldn't finish the 2nd episode but I'll try to catch up as much as I can. Though I can't say if I'll definitely stick with it yet, or anything much about it for that matter.

I also then found the list of things I can watch through Crunchyroll, which isn't insubstantial at all, so of course now I want to watch all of them and will have to see how high up SAO will fall in that list...
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby airichan623 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 pm

So I just watched on Crunchy Roll up to episode 10 (where the free version ends) and I'm really liking it! Asuna's cool.

But question:
[spoiler]At the end of episode 10 did Kirito and Asuna...actually...do it? She smacked him, but she still looked kinda naked in the bed at the end, despite him being clothed.[/spoiler]
^this event was a bit of a shock for me...I was just like "well that escalated quickly..." O_o

airichan623

Postby blkmage » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm

well
[spoiler]yes[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby airichan623 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm

blkmage (post: 1589684) wrote:well
[spoiler]yes[/spoiler]

Well...

....oh.

airichan623

Postby Vilo159 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Well, reading this thread, it definitely seems like a show I'd like to watch. Not that I have time for it anyway, but it'll go on the list.
Going from your descriptions, it seems fairly lighthearted and episodic, so is this the kind of thing to watch when you're tired of beat-you-over-the-head-with-suspense-and-such shows like FMA?
Also, how "clean" of a show is it? I would read a review, but there aren't any here. Just going on google images of the name, it seems really fan service-y. Exactly how bad does that get, and is there any other objectionable content?
Also, are the novels officially translated into english? I would much prefer to read them along with watching.
Vilo159

Postby Falx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 pm

blkmage (post: 1589684) wrote:well
[spoiler]He put on his robe and wizard hat[/spoiler]

Fixed that for you.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby GeneD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:51 am

Up to episode 10 now:

[spoiler]3: Bit disappointed the Saint Nic fight wasn't shown but it wasn't really about that.

4: I could have done without the bits of fanservice but a very sweet episode.

5: Griselda looked like a cool person. Mostly Kirito & Asuna yes.

6: Interesting conclusion though I didn't follow everything well because doing other stuff on the computer and trying to read subs don't mix well. XP Some surprisingly interesting/well thought out stuff about marriage.

7: Filler, but the dragon was cool and that sunset/sunrise was gorgeous.

8: The way they showed the cooking was neat. Kuradeel is a crazy person. Confirms 7 was filler because the new sword is nowhere to be seen.

9: [SIZE="1"]I know how this will end, it's in the opening.[/SIZE] Ha, nevermind. Very cool episode and yay vindicated filler.

10: I did not expect Kirito to lose the duel, 'twas refreshing actually. Yup, Kuradeel's definitely nuts. I wonder if the system recognises self defense or if Kirito and Asuna now have red and orange floaty head diamonds (I have no idea what those things are called) respectively.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby airichan623 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:02 am

Vilo159 (post: 1589809) wrote:Well, reading this thread, it definitely seems like a show I'd like to watch. Not that I have time for it anyway, but it'll go on the list.
Going from your descriptions, it seems fairly lighthearted and episodic, so is this the kind of thing to watch when you're tired of beat-you-over-the-head-with-suspense-and-such shows like FMA?
Also, how "clean" of a show is it? I would read a review, but there aren't any here. Just going on google images of the name, it seems really fan service-y. Exactly how bad does that get, and is there any other objectionable content?
Also, are the novels officially translated into english? I would much prefer to read them along with watching.

Actually, never trust google images. Actually, it's surprisingly clean. One slight fanservice moment (classic accidental boob grab). Two characters do have sex, but nothing is shown except underwear at one point. Comparitively, it's pretty clean.

airichan623

Postby blkmage » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 am

Falx (post: 1589852) wrote:Fixed that for you.

but there's no magic in SAO :3c

GeneD (post: 1589860) wrote:Up to episode 10 now:

[spoiler]3: Bit disappointed the Saint Nic fight wasn't shown but it wasn't really about that.

4: I could have done without the bits of fanservice but a very sweet episode.

5: Griselda looked like a cool person. Mostly Kirito & Asuna yes.

6: Interesting conclusion though I didn't follow everything well because doing other stuff on the computer and trying to read subs don't mix well. XP Some surprisingly interesting/well thought out stuff about marriage.

7: Filler, but the dragon was cool and that sunset/sunrise was gorgeous.

8: The way they showed the cooking was neat. Kuradeel is a crazy person. Confirms 7 was filler because the new sword is nowhere to be seen.

9: [SIZE="1"]I know how this will end, it's in the opening.[/SIZE] Ha, nevermind. Very cool episode and yay vindicated filler.

10: I did not expect Kirito to lose the duel, 'twas refreshing actually. Yup, Kuradeel's definitely nuts. I wonder if the system recognises self defense or if Kirito and Asuna now have red and orange floaty head diamonds (I have no idea what those things are called) respectively.[/spoiler]

SAO's first two volumes are structurally weird because of various circumstances surrounding how it got published. Essentially, SAO volume 1 really didn't start until episode 8 and the "filler" are side stories from volumes 2 and 8. The side stories essentially serve to bulk up the development of the characters (since we'd pretty much just drop in on them in the middle of stuff otherwise) and the world but they also set up some things for later volumes of the light novels.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 am

GeneD (post: 1589860) wrote:[spoiler]10: I did not expect Kirito to lose the duel, 'twas refreshing actually. Yup, Kuradeel's definitely nuts. I wonder if the system recognises self defense or if Kirito and Asuna now have red and orange floaty head diamonds (I have no idea what those things are called) respectively.[/spoiler]
I can't remember if it mentions this in the anime or not but it is legal to PK "Red" criminals, which is anyone who has ever PK'd, and not become a criminal.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Falx » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 am

Well you lot have done it now.

I've been pooh-poohing this series thinking it's overhyped all season but finally checked out the first episode just to reassure myself of my infallible sense of taste.

The next day I got up to episode 11.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 pm

^ :grin: LOL, that's awesome. :thumb: And yeah, this series is really marathonable (...er, wait, is that a word? Well, I guess it is now :grin:)-- the first ep. pulled me right in, and then I just couldn't stop watching!

Part of the reason for that, I think, is how well the episodes are paced-- all of them so far, even the somewhat 'slower' ones (and I don't mind slower ep.'s at all, BTW, but you know what I mean), really seem to fly by (in a good way). And I think another reason is that, despite all the timeskips, the series has done a fairly impressive job of making you attached to the characters (even the few that only appear very briefly).

Other thoughts about the show so far:

I'm actually a bit of a gamer myself, so I like the concept, and enjoy seeing the mechanics of it in action (and the fights, when they occur, are pretty fantastic, too!). And Kirito is totally awesome. :jump: And the romance is nice, as well. :) [spoiler]And speaking of the latter, it's nice to see some characters actually get married-- and well before the end of the series, too, no less! :P (...And yes, I do know that for now they're only married *inside* the game; but they've already talked about their relationship continuing outside of the game as well, so it counts. :))[/spoiler] So, yeah, I'm quite enjoying this.
Saved by grace.

MangaRocks!

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 pm

[SIZE="1"]I haven't posted here yet..? Hm, thought I did.
[/SIZE]
The latest episode left me in tears... Yui-chan, I loved you. ;___;

And Kirito and Asuna are amazing together as a married couple. (Any other girls who will fall/are in love with him should just back off, otherwise I bite their heads off.) He belongs to her. :cool:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews