Chihayafuru: But at Osaka's gateway the guards are never fooled.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Chihayafuru: But at Osaka's gateway the guards are never fooled.

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:47 pm

DarkNozomi wrote:Maybe, but I just don't see why THIS specific series needs a love triangle, overtly or otherwise. It's an exciting story about a really fun game and the challenges of competing both as a club and individually. We really don't need to see any two combination of the characters sucking face. Romance anime, when done well, can be amazingly good. But if it's not relevant to the plot in any way, it just feels tacked on. Not everything needs a romantic subplot.

To steal philosophy from Goldy, the best romances aren't actually romances.

Really though, I don't think the romantic subplot (if you can even call it that? it's mostly just poor Taichi longing at the moment) feels tacked-on at all. The story isn't centered on romance but the characters are all teenagers, so it makes sense to me that there'd be at least a little bit of affection flying around. Honestly I think the show's done a good job of balancing things so that the little bit of romance adds dimension to certain characters/relationships without distracting from the more important stuff going on. If Desktomu and Kanachan suddenly realized a deep love for each other in the middle of a tournament or something, that would be ridiculous.

I can sympathize with being tired of romance subplots popping up everywhere (at least, as much as a rabid shipper can) but that doesn't mean every romantic subplot in a non-romance story hurts the narrative.

Also Sumire is banned from any love polygons, get out of here heretic.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby blkmage » Sat May 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Well, it's kind of moot whether or not you think the series needs relational development (romantic or otherwise), because the driving force behind the entire story of the series is the relationship that the three main characters have. As much as you might want otherwise, the story is not about Mizusawa becoming the best in Japan or any one character's ambitions and it's not about karuta. It's about Chihaya, Taichi, and Arata. That's what the first three/four episodes were there to establish. Take away that lynchpin and the whole thing falls apart.
blkmage

Postby DarkNozomi » Sun May 05, 2013 3:52 pm

blkmage wrote:Well, it's kind of moot whether or not you think the series needs relational development (romantic or otherwise), because the driving force behind the entire story of the series is the relationship that the three main characters have. As much as you might want otherwise, the story is not about Mizusawa becoming the best in Japan or any one character's ambitions and it's not about karuta. It's about Chihaya, Taichi, and Arata. That's what the first three/four episodes were there to establish. Take away that lynchpin and the whole thing falls apart.

If you're correct, then they'll all quit Karuta and at least one combination of them will hook up and become a couple by the end of the series. If I'm right, they'll keep playing Karuta throughout the series and everyone will stay single.

Guess we'll have to finish the series and see.
DarkNozomi

Postby blkmage » Sun May 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Nice strawman you've set up there, son. I don't know if you're familiar with the concept of a love triangle or other three-sided relational conflicts, but there is a whole spectrum of possible resolutions outside of the (false) dichotomy that you've presented.

I'm having trouble seeing why you're trying so hard to minimize the special relationship that the three main characters have and the importance that it has to them. Are human characters and interpersonal development really so offensive to you?

Like, sorry, no, we don't have to wait until the end. Everything I've said was laid out plainly as the foundation of the series and was set up in the show's opening episodes. Ignoring all of that is just willful blindness.
blkmage

Postby DarkNozomi » Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 am

Yeah, no, using fancy words doesn't change the fact that the show is about Karuta. Even in those early episodes you mention, what were they doing? Playing Karuta.

Also, ad hominem attacks are neither helpful nor mature. Please don't use them.
DarkNozomi

Postby blkmage » Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 am

The show might only be about karuta if you're unable or unwilling to read deeper than one layer into the show, but what's presented in the story is that the main characters derive their motivation from their relationships first and karuta second. This is a consequence of a story that's about characters and their relationships. You could argue that it's about karuta in that it's focused principally on the Mizusawa team and their relationships, but again, that'd ignore the whole introductory arc.

Also, you should learn what an ad hominem attack is. <- See, that is ad hominem. It's not ad hominem to point out that your argument relies on ignoring a fundamental aspect of the story or that you strawmanned me.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon May 06, 2013 9:51 am

Now, now, let's not get too worked up over a difference of opinion here, especially when it starts getting to the point where we are reading between the lines too much.

Back to happily talking about friendship, karuta and all that awesome stuff in life. (says the person who hasn't been keeping up with Chihayafuru since season one for whatever reason you want to imagine, it's probably true. XD; )
goldenspines

Postby DarkNozomi » Mon May 06, 2013 12:24 pm

blkmage wrote:The show might only be about karuta if you're unable or unwilling to read deeper than one layer into the show, but what's presented in the story is that the main characters derive their motivation from their relationships first and karuta second. This is a consequence of a story that's about characters and their relationships. You could argue that it's about karuta in that it's focused principally on the Mizusawa team and their relationships, but again, that'd ignore the whole introductory arc.

Also, you should learn what an ad hominem attack is. <- See, that is ad hominem. It's not ad hominem to point out that your argument relies on ignoring a fundamental aspect of the story or that you strawmanned me.

I know exactly what an ad hominem attack is. it's when you attack the person and not the subject, Calling me "son" is both astonishingly incorrect (I'm a girl, please learn the difference) and also quite offensive (it implies that I am your offspring).

Can you show me an episode that's not about Karuta, or playing Karuta, or becoming better at Karuta, or convincing others to play Karuta, or being jealous/motivated/amazed by someone else's skill at Karuta? Yeah, I didn't think so. Maybe Karuta has something to do with the plot of the show then. I've read several news articles about the show causing more people to be interested in Karuta. I have yet to read anything about the show causing more people to pursue relationships.
DarkNozomi

Postby goldenspines » Mon May 06, 2013 12:52 pm

It appears I was not as firm in my last post as I needed to be, or did not communicate it well. So I will be clear here, please take this volleying disagreement between you two to PM please, because it's getting far too heated for the public forum.
goldenspines

Postby Vii » Sun May 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Cliffhangers. :<

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Three wins! C'mon, get three wins!
Vii

Postby Vii » Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm

askjdjfshvaljdfhv. So tense.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: YEEEEAAAAAHHH! A double penalty and a double luck-of-the-draw and maybe now Taichi will stop being mopey about having "bad luck."

And Arata~
He'd better say more than "mhm" next episode.

Moar cliffhangers gaaah.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I wonder if SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Chihaya's injured finger will be alright in time for the individual tournaments.
Vii

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm

I'd been four episodes behind, and I got caught up tonight. Wow. The last episode or two, I just kept saying "I WANT them to win! I WANT them to win!" SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So I was very pleased with the end of episode 19. But I'm with Vii in thinking that Arata's grunting or whatever-that-was was a TERRIBLE response to Chihaya. Darn right he'd better come up with something better to say!
Mouse2010

Postby Vii » Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Episode 20:
There was no need for that flashback. Bleh. Other than that, great episode.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Chihaya headbutt was cute. :3
Vii

Postby DarkNozomi » Thu May 30, 2013 1:28 am

Random Taichi rant, read at your peril

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: God, I hate Taichi more and more each episode. What skin is it off your nose if Arata moves to Tokyo for college? If anything, it guarantees a season 4.

And enemies??? You're not even in the same division.

Arata and Chihaya both want to be his teammate. For the love of God, I cannot fathom why. He's still the same spoiled, rude, arrogant prick he was as a kid.

As for everyone else, you rock!

Kana, you're so sweet yet deep and brilliant. Your insights add a very real depth to this game.

Nishida, you're a powerhouse who rocks the game. They'd never have made it this far without you.

Desktomu, underdog that everyone's rooting for! And your brains definitely help the team.

Sumire, you keep the drama level from dropping to the point of boringness. Just keep practicing!

Tsukuba, behind the evil grin lies a talented and kind player. Your brothers idolize you for a reason.
DarkNozomi

Postby Vii » Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 am

DarkNozomi wrote: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And enemies??? You're not even in the same division.

Relevant translation tidbit: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The word Taichi used that was translated as "enemy" was "teki", which can also be translated as "rival" or "opponent." It takes on quite a different tone if you use the other meanings.

Also, while they may not be the same division, it's been made obvious that Taichi is entirely qualified to be a Class A player, he simply has horrible luck with games.
Vii

Postby blkmage » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 am

I don't know, it almost seems like he could be talking about a thread that's been running throughout the show that doesn't have anything to do with karuta, but there isn't anything like that, is there?
blkmage

Postby Vii » Thu May 30, 2013 2:59 pm

^ That's how I prefer to interpret it.
Vii

Postby Mouse2010 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Gonna ditto or tritto blkmage. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I just assumed that Taichi meant that Arata was his rival for Chihaya's affections. It never even occurred to me that he could mean that they were rivals in the game. I don't think Taichi has the same level of ambition to be Master that Arata has. What Taichi DOES have is an obvious affection for Chihaya, who still seems to be really obsessed with Arata. (I'm not sure if I really needed the spoiler tags, but I put 'em there just in case.)
Mouse2010

Postby Vii » Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Episode 21:
Chihayafuru, making left hands really awesome. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And asdfhbaj she took her first card from Arata with her left hand. My feels.
If they keep going at a pace of two rounds per episode I could see this reaching the end of the tournament by the end of the season.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Darn BG music made me think that Chihaya had been placed against Arata for the next round at the end of the episode. But nooope, looks like that will have to wait until next year because I doubt playing the Queen with a damaged finger is going to end in Chihaya's favor.

EDIT: Forgot some stuff because I watched this late last night.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The fact that Chihaya was able to play so naturally with her left hand almost broke my willing suspension of disbelief, or at least stretched it out a bit, especially since she won her match.

And poor Nishida. :< Being matched against Arata so early on.
Vii

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:47 am

Everything about this match, especially interactions, went down pretty much how I expected/hoped it would.
blkmage

Postby Vii » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:33 am

Such a good episode this week. OwO

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Arata versus Shinobu neat. Next week's gonna be entirely their match I would think.

YAY TAICHI. Finally class A. 。゜(`Д´)゜。
I like how they didn't focus on each and every move like usual. It was simply Taichi getting his head together and winning.

Chihaya and Taichi at the end kyaaa~
Loved how they started playing the ED in that scene.

Also, if anyone's interested in the manga, this episode covers the manga chapter right after the gap in the scanlations (there's a skip between chapter 40-something and ch 89. This episode covered ch 89) so now the anime has filled in the gap and one can continue reading the story without missing pieces.
Vii

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:16 am

Episode 24: Oh, very good. I really liked this one. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Finally someone defeated the Queen! I like to think that what made the difference is that while Shinobu loves the cards, Arata loved his grandfather. So, naturally, he has the Power of Love on his side. :-) I was rooting for Arata to win, but I did feel a bit sorry for Shinobu. I was glad that Arata pointed out her fever to her-- you can tell it made her feel better to be able to blame the loss on an illness, even if that wasn't necessarily the full reason.
I'm wondering now what's left for them to wrap up in the season finale, though.
Mouse2010

Postby Vii » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Episode 25: YES.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So. Much. Cute. For. Both. Ships. asdfghjkl.

Third season pretty please? 0ω0

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: TRAINING CAMP ARC!
Vii

Postby Mouse2010 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:35 pm

In my last post, I wondered what they were going to do for the season finale, given that episode 24 kinda wrapped up the tournament arc. I guess I got my answer: episode 24 was the wrap-up for the competitive karuta plot, and episode 25 was mostly about the relationship plot. I thought it worked well, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: even if you can hardly say that there was any closure for the relationships. I loved so much about this episode. I loved Chihaya's terrible poems, and I loved that the only good ones were poems about Arata. But I also absolutely loved Oe-san's attempt to help Taichi. Honestly, I don't know which team I'm on anymore. I started off supporting Arata, but I feel SO sorry for poor Taichi! He deserves better!

And, yes, we really need a season 3. I guess there's probably not enough of the manga left to do one now, but maybe in a year or two? We hope? I've heard there's also that special episode being released with a volume of the manga in a couple of months. Is there any chance of that being made available to the English-speaking world, I wonder?
Mouse2010

Postby Florenzian Parameter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 am

so i want to ask you guys.....who here did like that kana chan and taichi scene.....that was overflowing with friendship!

i want to see more...since watching attack on titan was quite depressing because of the violence and everything, chihayafuru just relaxes me after watching some tiresome anime.

BUT NOW ITS GONE.....I WILL PRAY EVERYDAY THAT MADHOUSE WILL GRANT US SEASON 3! and withs God's help amen..
Florenzian Parameter

Postby Lynna » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:55 pm

THE FEELS
Finally, I was able to watch the last episode, and it truly solidified the quality and complexity of the story in my mind.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was a tiny bit disappointed that we didn't get to see Chihaya's reaction to the flowers. Also, why is it that whenever Chihaya meets Arata they're interrupted, and he says they'll talk later but they don't? I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy the firt season as much as this one is because I no longer have the expectation that Arata will get any screen time. I'm interested that Chihaya is now becoming aware of her feelings, but i'm sad that the Chihaya/Taichi ship is sinking...sinking...;_;

The animation this episode...wow.
I'm just so sad it's over. It seems quite hopeless that they'll make another one...*overwhelming sadness*
This has been such a good season. I have enjoyed it thoroughly, sometimes pausing it just to fangirl. Absolusely fantastic.
Lynna

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:38 am

There should be a season 3 with the way that they ended it... but it all comes down to whether it gets the funding and fan support in Japan. :/
ForeverInspired

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews