What kind of opening episode do you think works best?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

What kind of opening episode do you think works best?

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:57 am

What kind of opening do you think is the best way to start a story? Here are the types, along with examples of each:
1. A Day in the life of the hero: Introduces what a typical day for the heroes is like, then has something happen to throw the normal day completely off-kilter. (examples: Chobits, Now and Then, Sailor Moon)
2. What the heck just happened: Chaos everywhere. And then the trailer for episode 2 appears. It's like "And that was just the first episode! The awesomeness will ensue from here!" (Gurren Lagann, Rahxephon, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Big O)
3. In media res: That's Latin for "in the middle". This is when the opening episode is actually in the middle of the story and the rest of the show works its way around to the events that preceded it, showing how we got to that point. (Full Metal Alchemist--to some extent--, Gungrave, Trigun)
For me, it's the second kind, although I do enjoy the first if it's a more comedic show. I love it when the show bombards you with all kinds of action, not even allowing you to take a breath. That grabs me right away.
OK, so what about the rest of you?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ABlipinTime » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Personally, I like the important stuff first. Imagine this: Start off with something that seems normal, like a walk in the park. Play that out for awhile, then jump to something seemingly completely unrelated (like a ship-wreck) that happens around the same time and is critically important to the rest of the story. Regardless of whether there's chaos or a jump to something unrelated, I prefer the something important happen first. It draws me into the show due to mystery and then entertains me when I discover the actual purpose of it. Point in case: Last Exile: the little girl in the beginning who turns out to be the key to a giant space ship.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:52 am

I prefer in media res. I like trying to figure out just what the world is going on. Now it should either be directly at the end or very near the beginning, because in the middle just makes me impatient to find out what happens after it, and not listen to the exposition.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Atria35 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 am

I don't know. I'm rather big on both 'A Day In The Life' and 'What Just Happened'. The former sets the tone and mood, and I rather like it. The latter just draws me in with no apologies.
Atria35

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:24 am

Eh, to each his own. I'm more action oriented in my viewing anyway.
Lockon Stratos

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:18 pm

I have difficulty with in media res in some situations. I had trouble following Durarara!! at first because of its anachronistic order. After a few episodes, it didn't really bother me.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:41 pm

rocklobster (post: 1505348) wrote:I have difficulty with in media res in some situations. I had trouble following Durarara!! at first because of its anachronistic order.

Anachronism:
1.A thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, esp. a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned
- everything was as it would have appeared in centuries past apart from one anachronism, a bright yellow construction crane

2.An act of attributing a custom, event, or object to a period to which it does not belong

Drrr! didn't start in the middle of a story. The story grew from the first episode onward. It was A Day in The Life- starting with the life of Mikado, and then jumping from POV to POV. Baccano! started In Media Res. In fact, the entire show was In Media Res.
Atria35

Postby bakura91 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:41 pm

To see if I'm gonna like a show/manga I'll judge by the first volume (if its a manga) and if its a series a good beginning for me at least is one that gives you and idea of the Characters, premise, and the atmosphere/attitude of the show by the 1st 3 episodes. Keep in mind I mostly read/watch action series, scifi, and comedy lately.
bakura91

Postby Juliannesan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:26 pm

To me it really depends on the story and the characters involved.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, any first episode that grabs my attention is good, but I find that I often like the in media res kind of beginning. I find that those sorts of stories spend a short time showing what normal life is like for these characters in this world, and once you've been snagged and want to see more of these characters, it takes the time to do a flashback and answer all these questions that were raised. Then it goes forward in time, bringing in the "real" plot more strongly.

I'm still waiting for the extended flashback in D.Gray-man (assuming there will be one, since it seems like other in media res animes I've seen before).
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:50 am

Atria35 (post: 1505400) wrote:Anachronism:
1.A thing belonging or appropriate to a period other than that in which it exists, esp. a thing that is conspicuously old-fashioned
- everything was as it would have appeared in centuries past apart from one anachronism, a bright yellow construction crane

2.An act of attributing a custom, event, or object to a period to which it does not belong

Drrr! didn't start in the middle of a story. The story grew from the first episode onward. It was A Day in The Life- starting with the life of Mikado, and then jumping from POV to POV. Baccano! started In Media Res. In fact, the entire show was In Media Res.

I guess it felt that way because I watched the special episode on Crunchy Roll, then the first.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wallachia » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:43 am

I can't choose one, it depends entirely upon the show itself. Some are done well, and some... aren't done so well.

Maybe I just don't have a favorite.

Wallachia

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:00 pm

I like the third. Usually.

They all work, when done well.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby theladyeri » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:37 pm

I like #1 because I like to know exactly what is happening and who the characters are. (tho the openings of fma and rahxephon weren't that horribly confusing, rahxephon kind of was)
[font="Arial Black"]A moment of thought bests a year of mindless talk.[/font]
theladyeri

Postby Timeless » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Super action packed first episode. As long as its not followed by 10 episodes of extreme boredom... :stressed:
Timeless

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 am

I always like a Day in the Life more. You get to know the characters before anything big happens.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews