[Let's Watch!] Puella Magi Madoka★Magica: magical girls with Faustian themes

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: [Let's Watch!] Puella Magi Madoka★Magica: magical girls with Faustian themes

Postby Neane » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Neane

Re: [Let's Watch!] Puella Magi Madoka★Magica: magical girls with Faustian themes

Postby blkmage » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Looks like it's not just Toronto. Cineplex's UI can't list everything all at once, so if you live in Canada, check to see if your city's in the list. I went through every big city I could think of and found these:

Toronto (Y-D, Queensway, STC, Fairview)
Missisauga
Hamilton (Ancaster)
Oshawa
London
Windsor
Montréal
Québec (Sainte-Foy)
Winnipeg
Regina
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Richmond
Burnaby
blkmage

Postby Neane » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 pm

As pretty much the only one here who has seen the Madoka movies (Thank you WTA), I can say that if you like Madoka then the movies are worth watching. Just want to give a small content note: The movies are more certainly more violent.
Neane

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 pm

I somehow have to make this work. Somehow. Somehow. O.O The fact that they are even coming to my province amazes me. :O

I want to see a least one. I have to.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby DaughterOfZion » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Neane wrote:As pretty much the only one here who has seen the Madoka movies (Thank you WTA), I can say that if you like Madoka then the movies are worth watching. Just want to give a small content note: The movies are more certainly more violent.

Yeah, no, you don't get to be "THE ONLY ONE™" nice try though Neane.

I saw the movies last month, sadly there wasn't a trailer for the third movie at our showing, though I did see the trailer later. I can't wait, it looks so amazing!
DaughterOfZion

Postby Lynna » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 pm

:D Wow, they are in Canada!...But unfortunately, all those places are too far away for me to go see :(
Lynna

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Third Madoka movie is coming to American and Canadian theatres as early as December 6:

http://madokamagicausa.com/rebellion/

I'm fairly impressed that Aniplex USA went to the trouble of conning convincing (and succeeding at it) Cineplex Odeon into showing the Madoka movies at an insane number of smaller Canadian cities. Even cutting that list in half would've been impressive enough already.
blkmage

Postby dothackzero » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:25 am

gah crap. It looks like I have to make a 36min drive to see it. Well either that or pay what I'm guessing would be $40-50 to see it. >_<
dothackzero

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 am

I'm traveling away from the theaters each day it's airing... darn. :/
ForeverInspired

Postby crusader88 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 pm

I am glad others enjoy Puella Magi Madoka Magica so much, but for some weeks after I saw it a year or so ago it ruined all magical girl animes for me. After the first episode, I believed it a definite masterpiece, but afterward found the plot developments cynical and irritating.

As I see it, the magical girl genre cannot work without the selflessness of the girls have in ordinary series. An anime about aliens exploiting young girls' caring and innocence is very disturbing, and not in an intriguing way. In the manner of de Sade's oeuvre, I find works which focus on depravity and undermine virtue like this to be without merit. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And aliens using teen girls energy to forestall entropy? Really? Who thought that up?

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: In light of the story as a whole, the only good part of the series was the real magical girl anime that seemed to be unfolding at the end of the last episode but which, unless I have not kept up with sequels, hasn't been produced.

Hence the anime herein discussed is among my nominations for worst ever.
crusader88

Postby Xeno » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:18 am

Truly an awful anime this is. It can't be a good magical girl anime if it doesn't follow a set recipe and be exactly like all other magical girl animes*.

*I haven't watched this show and probably won't.
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:58 am

crusader88 wrote:As I see it, the magical girl genre cannot work without the selflessness of the girls have in ordinary series.

Did you even watch Madoka? The girls were selfless.
Ante Bellum

Postby SnEptUne » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 am

Ante Bellum wrote:
crusader88 wrote:As I see it, the magical girl genre cannot work without the selflessness of the girls have in ordinary series.

Did you even watch Madoka? The girls were selfless.

Not quite, when you see what were their wish, almost all of them are selfish. Sayaka wanted to be rightenous, Mami wanted to be popular with underclassman (i.e. do not want to be alone), and Kyoko wanted salvation even though she has no faith in her father's religion, and Homura wanted to be together with Madoka, at all cost.
SnEptUne

Postby KazeShiki » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:13 am

Your definition of a magical girl anime "working" is hilariously narrow.

Incidentally, I just watched the 3rd movie. The theme was relatively predictable which I didn't have a problem with but the choice of plot was really dumb and disappointing. Not sure if this is considered a spoiler but SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I hate that they made the ending so inconclusive with the express purpose of having a 2nd season. This story should've ended with the the series.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews