[Let's Watch!] STAR DRIVER 輝きのタクト

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby goldenspines » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Nate (post: 1430438) wrote: Filament's Cybody also seems to be Accel's long lost twin...

I thought the same thing. XD

Second episode was good. I get the feeling I might get a little tired of "we have to fit a battle in every time at the end of the episode" after a while, but since I adore the music during it (the song of the Maiden in the cage, can't remember her name. >.<), I think I can handle it.
Plus, these battle scenes are pretty great.

At least we know, roughly, who's on who's side now.
But man, everyone sure loves their outrageous costumes. XD;
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 am

Yeah, the fights in Star Driver definitely have an edge over Utena's in being visually interesting.

Something that was brought up that I hadn't noticed was that we have secret underground student society ((ノゝ∀・)~キラ☆ KIRABOSHI) up against Night Flight, the, uh, drama club.

And now, for some thoughts from the Internet.
AWESOME ENGINE: Star Driver Episode 1 - some notes and highlights from the first episode
UNMEI KAIHEN: Star Driver 1 - Listen to my song? - on camp, with a comparison to Macross 7
Omonomono: Just what is Star Driver? - on mecha tropes and Igarashi and Enokido
THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT PINK: Star Driver - on subtext
Courage Punch - Fitting Star Driver into the Studio Bones tradition - displeasure with the lack of Bones' usual world-building
power to the dream - first impressions and comparisons to past works
Pon-chan no Yatsu - response to the above; analysis of narrative
And another thing re: Star Driver - more on tropes and the protagonist

Finally, according to reports from the Star Driver Q&A at NYAF, the direct translation of Ginga Bishounen is Galactic Pretty Boy, which the official Aniplex subs apparently left untranslated, so good job fansubbers.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 pm

To be honest, a lot of the responses I've seen to this show seem to be highly negative. I can dismiss a lot of the /m/ talk as trolls and "NOT ENOUGH MECHA" to largely disregard their opinions, but it's not just them. Plus, I hear the show is still getting pretty abysmal ratings (though I have no way to confirm that). Granted, it is only the second episode but that's not particularly a good sign.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 pm

A lot of the reactions I've seen have been mixed, but generally positive. ADTRW seems to love it and the bloggers I tend to agree with do too. I've found that most people who are super excited for the show (and still are) are the people who really liked Utena or have done stuff like read the massive interview and pamphlet so they know where the show is coming from.

Reading through the thread on /m/ for episode 2 made it pretty clear that this was probably not the mecha show that they were looking for.

As for ratings, from a financial standpoint, I don't know if that's necessarily the fault of the show. I'd say that the producers overestimated the appeal of the show rather than people not being interested in it. I think it would've done pretty well as a regular late-night anime and at least it wouldn't need to be meeting the ratings expectation.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:13 pm

This week on mecha-Utena. I wish I could stop with the comparisons, but this show just keeps on giving them to me.

I might have to pay more attention and watch the first few episodes again to catch the story that Sakana is telling before she breaks out into song. I'm guessing it's the parallel to Utena's shadow play girls in that it's this show's way of presenting the themes of the episode in an oblique way. Also, really hoping we find out what Takuto's grandpa's been telling him, because whenever he remembers things he's said, excellent things have always happened. And the KIRABOSHI meetings are pretty much the Student Council meetings in Utena, where they're talking about stuff but each episode has some weird peculiarity to it. This week was perpetual leg-crossing.

Also, Takuto is such an awesome character. The school life segments are incredibly entertaining because of him. And this week's mecha battle was fantastic. I've read someone remark that they hope that he never re-uses a powerup and I agree. Also note that the mecha fights parallel what was happening earlier in the episode!

I love this show so much.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Yeah, this was probably the most enjoyable episode to me. Although I'm wondering if the symbolism, and general uh...vagueness of the plot, is losing a lot of people and is partially the reason for the low ratings. But, who knows. The only other shows in that time slot were already part of successful franchises.

It has been a tad formulaic so far, so I hope they mix it up somewhat in the future.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Nate » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:46 pm

blkmage wrote:This week was perpetual leg-crossing.

NO ONE WILL BE ADMITTED DURING THE EXCITING LEG-CROSSING SCENE.

Anyway I knew there was something special about Ms. Watanabe. And I'm not just saying that because she's a whore. But she is a total whore.

I'm a simple man, of simple tastes. It doesn't take much to get me excited, so when he pulled that second Star Sword out I was going "Oh please let him dual wield oh please oh please oh please YES HE'S DUAL-WIELDING I LOVE YOU STAR DRIVER."

Oh, and the ending. Okay, so we're obviously not supposed to know what the "mark" is yet I'm sure. But, unlike the other two, this guy just casually walked out of the Cybercasket when he was beaten, rather than being hurt and falling. Also, and this seems most interesting (and important), his mask didn't break. Ominous.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Blkmage said what I was going to concerning Utena comparison stuff. Since like, it doesn't stop.
The fish girl's (did she actually have a name before?) story may be fairly relevant to the plot, but I haven't matched it up too much with what is going on with the main story yet. But hey, we're only at episode 3.

Ms. Watanabe annoys me. Mostly because she is very much a fanservice character, yet I get the feeling she's going to play a much more important role as the story goes on.
I like her hat, though.

Takeshi needs to be less of a shallow character. I want to see him again in the series as a real man and not a wimp.

And as much as I just like Shindō being there with his fantastic blue hair, he needs to do more in this story.

And honestly, I think Bones is doing these over elaborate fight scenes and settings to show off.
And I love it.

I feel kind of bad watching through an episode just to get to the fight scene. XD I do enjoy some of the school life stuff that's going on, though.
Also, I find it very weird that when the battles do happen, time stops, and poor Wako is put in a bubble and forced to watch the fight. I dunno, it seems like a lame way to just continually remind us "This girl is important to the story guys! Don't forget her!"

Concerning that, though; the next episode looks quite promising. Maybe we'll get to see the relationship of Takuto and Wako go beyond "I like you because you control a fabulous giant mecha."
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:12 pm

goldenspines (post: 1431829) wrote:Ms. Watanabe annoys me. Mostly because she is very much a fanservice character, yet I get the feeling she's going to play a much more important role as the story goes on.

In other news, Star Driver's ratings nearly doubled from last week (1.7%), now at 3.2%.

I assumed that the mark was something like Takuto's scar so he's also possibly a special guy. And this opens up the possibility of there being a bunch of guys that are like them as well.

And Wako, well, she's like Anthy except she doesn't even serve a function (yet, I'm assuming) like getting a sword pulled out of her.

Also, if Utena's anything to go by, I'd expect all of our losers to be returning for round two in some way.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

blkmage (post: 1431845) wrote:In other news, Star Driver's ratings nearly doubled from last week (1.7%), now at 3.2%.

Oh Japan... e_e

At least the ratings are up. XD

And Wako, well, she's like Anthy except she doesn't even serve a function (yet, I'm assuming) like getting a sword pulled out of her.

Also, if Utena's anything to go by, I'd expect all of our losers to be returning for round two in some way.

Yeah, good point. It's been a while since I saw Utena. At least Wako has a bit more personality than Anthy, though. XD

Also, man, I don't want the first two dorky guys to come back and fight again. :< Ditch them and let's get to fighting the heads of the Glittering Crux. XP
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm

blkmage wrote:And Wako, well, she's like Anthy except she doesn't even serve a function (yet, I'm assuming) like getting a sword pulled out of her.

I thought her function was to exist to not get hit by a Star Sword. Which isn't much of a function but...oh well. But yeah, I'm sure at some point she'll play a bigger role in the story. I mean they still haven't explained that "I smell a boy I don't know" thing.

I assumed that when Honda was shown training on that treadmill talking about how he'd get back in, and also the talk in this episode about how it might be possible to resurrect fallen Cybodies.

Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:28 pm

So, I just finished episode 2, and this show pretty much blows me away.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Nate » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Post of the week goes to...

So anyway, we get screwed out of a fight this week. Pretty lame.

Other than that, this was kind of a boring episode. Not a lot happened, even ignoring the no fight thing. We learned Tiger likes Sugata. Um...yay? And that she can't pilot a Cybody. Um...so? This would have been a PERFECT time to give up some backstory on Takuto. What was his grandfather like? How did he get that scar? But nope.

I wouldn't be upset about giving backstory on Wako if she ever did anything except exist so that Takuto could protect her. And they didn't even give much backstory anyway. She can't leave the island. That's the only thing that got revealed.

Blah...seriously what a waste of an episode. Next week had better pick it up.

Nate

Postby blkmage » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Obviously there was no fighting because there was no singing :V

There wasn't much in the way of concrete details, but they've definitely made some more allusions to things and are dropping hints for future use, as well as some shifting of relationships. I wouldn't expect much more about Takuto for now and I wouldn't expect anything about his grandpa until much, much later on. To me, his grandpa seems like this abstract motivation kind of like the Prince from Utena, who's a presence that's always alluded to but doesn't become a character until the final arc.

Also, I wonder if smell is going to be a recurring motif in this show.

And 2ch is really good at obsessing over and over-analyzing details, so obviously, they've compiled a ridiculous amount of information already, including alternate name meanings, phoenician and hebrew alphabets, and connections to French children's literature.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm a bit late commenting on this episode since this past weekend was homework crazy. x.x

This episode (4) was obviously a bit slower than the 3 preceding ones and it seemed like a pause in the story to sort of gather all the stuff we've learned so far before we start zooming along again. I dunno, I could have done with more info on everyone, espcially Shindō (you know, besides the fact he had an adorable smile, I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT) and how he always seems to know when there's a cybody battle (does Wako tell him? Or what?) I always seem to ask for more info on this guy, though. So, I'll stop mentioning it from now on until they actually address it. XD;

But like Blkmage mentioned, it was kind of a "Now take notes, guys, this will be important later" episode. Kind of boring, but hopefully essential in its own small way.

No battle = sadness, though. :<

Also, the people who complied all the info on Blkmage's link have waaaay too much time on their hands. XD I can definitely see some French influence in this, though (especially through the costumes/masks and designs of the cybodies). Although, I'm studying 17th and 18th century French art right now, so my mind might be rather biased. XD

Next episode looks promising, though. Looking forward to it~

Also, after listening to it for a fourth time, I love the ED now. XD;
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:27 pm

blkmage (post: 1432956) wrote:Obviously there was no fighting because there was no singing :V
Well there was but by the wrong maiden.

Also, I liked this one, though I also wanted a fight. I feel like I don't have much more to contribute though.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Man, that fight was pretty what. It started off pretty interesting though, which means we're in for more exciting fights!

Also, an interesting revelation with the KIRABOSHI thing (also hilarious).

This was definitely one of the goofier episodes.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Okay that episode was hilarious.

Also I guess the Glittering Crux members don't even know who they really are, hence the scene between the nurse and the other chick in the science lab.

Also the nurse's mask didn't crack either. I guess the guy in episode 3 wasn't special then, the whole mask cracking was just for show in the first 2. Ah well.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:49 pm

"Oops."

Is that seriously all she can say? XDD;;

That whole episode was whatisthisIdon'teven, but at least we (sorta) got the battles back.
But yes, my "huhwut?" reaction was mixed in with a bit of laughter. This episode certainly had its moments, especially the Glittering Crux thing (that was already mentioned, but I can't get over how they salute each other. XD; Makes me laugh every time.)

Takuto seems like the only character that didn't have his mind in the gutter in this episode, btw, just saying.
Though, I'm not counting the Head and the fish girl who seem mostly detached from the story (sort of like narrators at the present moment).

Yeeeah, goofy episode. It was entertaining, but I kind of wish we were actually going somewhere with this plot. XD; I mean, I know we have a lot of characters in this show, but do we have to devote one episode to each of them if they aren't main characters? XP

Next episode preview looks like it might be a bit more telling for the actual plot though. I remain hopeful. :3
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Man, I just read a thing that made me feel silly, because there is something else that the structure of Star Driver can be compared to that isn't Utena. Remember in the lead-up to the show that I'd been talking about staff interviews and stuff? Well, I'd forgotten a very important thing that was mentioned in those interviews. That was the magical girl and mecha comparison.

What does the structure of an episode of a magical girl show look like? What does the plot arc of a magical girl show look like? How does that compare to Star Driver?

Here's more on plot in Star Driver.
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:07 pm

That post clarifies quite a few things for me. Thanks, blkmage. =)

As for episode 6...things are beginning to connect! Sugata's relevance, the Fish Girl story. I am officially sold on Star Driver. Although I would totally watch it just for the artwork and characters, now I look forward to learning more about the world and, well, the whole point. :)
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm not sure yet whether fish girl's story is supposed to be an overarching parallel story or if in each episode, it's supposed to reflect the episode's events.

Other than Sugata and more mysteries about Takuto's past, I thought the other very interesting bit of information is the nature of the First Phase, which combined with some prior incidental information makes for a very interesting theory that I read.

And of course, IT'S A PIIIINCHI

Also, there's a ridiculous amount of information out there about the world and themes and stuff already that was released in that pamphlet in the OP as well as assorted interviews since then. Like, I don't remember the last show that had this much stuff about it while it was airing.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:02 pm

I don't think that the maiden's story is supposed to be for each episode, I think it's supposed to be an overarching thing.

But yes, we get an explanation of what exactly the First Phase is, that site you linked earlier had it right, First Phase gives the pilot of the Cybody special powers sometimes. I didn't expect them to roll out the plot point about the King Cybody and Sugata so quickly but oh well.

By the way, I still stand behind my earlier theory. Sugata will join Glittering Crux and be final boss.

This was a great episode though! Seriously what is not to like about cute girls in maid outfits swordfighting a ghost robot? Or is it a robot ghost? Either way it's AWESOME.

And the obligatory reference to the fact that in Shinto, if you are a miko (maiden) you are required to be a virgin. I doubt this will come into play though, or at least if it does, not to the extent Fushigi Yugi did it with the whole "Sex her powers away" thing.

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Oi, I kept forgetting that I hadn't posted in this thread for the week yet. D:

As if we didn't know it already, Takuto has a great trademark line: It's a piiinchi~

So, some interesting and weird stuff happened. This first phase thing is a bit confusing so far, but I'm supposing it will be explained more and more as we go along. The pocket watch better be important later (especially the picture inside it?).

It's interesting you should bring that up, though, Nate. The Shinto reference, that is. I hadn't really caught on to it, but I see that it makes sense. May not be important, but it's a bit of interesting info, I suppose.

For some reason, I knew Sugata was going to use the King Cybody this episode. Despite revealing that so early though, I hope they will use that to their advantage in telling the story as it progresses.
Although, if Sugata remains asleep through the rest of the show, I will be very upset. :<

Side note: Referencing back to Blkmage's previous post, I still stand by my opinion when I first saw the trailer for this series; Star Driver is a magical boy anime. Plus, I like the idea of it following that format/genre over an Utena one.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:21 pm

First Phase is that the Cybody pilot gets powers of some kind, regardless of whether or not the Cybody has been apprivoised. Mrs. Waifu said that a lot of people who suddenly become successful probably have a mark and that her business sense is probably a result of that. Apparently, it can also be a crazy ghost robot. And of course, it has been brought to my attention that Takuto mentioned earlier that before he got his mark, he was a depressed kid. Also of note is Takuto's recent resolution to destroy all the Cybodies, possibly including his own. I wonder what the implications of that could be.

And, when you get down to it, Utena pretty much adheres to the magical girl format and is kind of a subversion of it (those were the people behind Sailor Moon, after all), so it's not like Star Driver can't be a blend of both (which, in my opinion, it is).
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Well, that was the oddest transition to the ED I've seen in a while.

"You wanna to die?"

*happiness and rainbow-filled ED starts playing*

Me: Wuuuuh? @~@

As always, there's good news and bad news. But hey, we got Sugata back, errr, sorta. XD; I'm a bit confused if the pink girl's kissed worked, though. I mean, it seemed like it didn't, but then she was smirking at the end, so I dunno. But now Sugata's all, "I'm the king and no you didn't just hit my pretty face." Or something. >_>

I did like the beginning bit, though; the getting Takuto back on track part. And of course, the battle was great. Though I'm looking forward to next episode's battle. :D

Side note: Was that an FMA movie advertised at the end of this episode?
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:31 pm

MAMESHIBA! I love those little beans!

Oh right, Star Driver. Yeah I'm wondering if the kiss worked too. It could just be one of those things where it has to slowly work though his body though.

...so when did good ol' George get his mask back, huh? I mean I know he was demoted from being a Star Driver (but he's still a member of Glittering Crux) but his mask shattered. Eh maybe he had a spare.
Well, that was the oddest transition to the ED I've seen in a while.

"You wanna to die?"

*happiness and rainbow-filled ED starts playing*

Me: Wuuuuh? @~@

No worse than last episode.

"SUGATA! SUGATA! WAKE UP! SUGATA!"

*happy cheerful ending music*
Was that an FMA movie advertised at the end of this episode?

Since Ed was in it, I'm gonna say yes. :p Also since the site address was http://www.hagaren-movie.net/ , "Hagaren" being the accepted abbreviation for FMA (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi), as well as this post from blkmage. :p

I'm just picking on you Mary. XD

Nate

Postby goldenspines » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:33 am

I also wondered about George getting his mask back. Maybe they can be remade? Though, I don't know the point of them breaking if they can be put back together. :\

Nate (post: 1437517) wrote: No worse than last episode.

"SUGATA! SUGATA! WAKE UP! SUGATA!"

*happy cheerful ending music*

Good point. XD Maybe that's why they have the happy ED, so you won't be so depressed and won't want to watch the next episode.

Since Ed was in it, I'm gonna say yes. :p Also since the site address was http://www.hagaren-movie.net/ , "Hagaren" being the accepted abbreviation for FMA (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi), as well as this post from blkmage. :p

I'm just picking on you Mary. XD

In my weak defense, I have been shut off from most of what has been going on in the anime world while school is in session (with the exception of Star Driver, but even then...). XD Plus, I tend to hear about really awesome things last anyways, then I get all excited and then people are all like, "That's soooooo old news." XDD

Thanks for answering my question, though. :D
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:43 pm

I think the show with the absolute worst final scene to ED transition is Clannad After Story. Oho man that dango dance party was definitely a poor choice for an ED song.

Anyhow, I really like the (ノゝ∀・)~☆ KIRABOSHI meetings, especially the ones where the crowd is present. This week's fish girl story was really good too and very Utena. I swear next week, Head is going to have a stopwatch or they're going to be doing stretches or something.

Also, for some reason, I had the impression that Takuto got his mark much longer than a year ago. If that's true, it definitely makes his cheery disposition much less natural.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:32 pm

Oh I've definitely seen worse final scene to ending transitions.

One of the ones that sticks out to me was Mahoromatic, where Mahoro is close to death, other important characters have died, and Suguru is being chased down by a deadly assassin robot...and it transitions to this.

And Sakana's story is kinda hit and miss for me. I have a bad memory so it's hard to remember exactly what's happened in her little story from week to week. If I was marathoning this or something it'd probably be fine but I tend to forget pretty much everything about her story by the time the next episode rolls around.

Nate

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews