Sub vs. Dub !!! (excluding edited dubs)

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Sub vs. Dub !!! (excluding edited dubs)

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Okay, I thought this would be a fun thread. This DOES NOT count edited dubs. This only includes dubs that are unedited, where you have the choice on the DVD to watch English or Japanese. Also, any movie of a series, talk about them separately, as alot of times, the acting is much better than the series itself. And no fighting - this is just one's opinion if they like sub or dub better, or even both. Also, only post if you've actually seen a significant amount of the Japanese or English, whichever you watch most.

Okay, let's start....

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Tie. I am more partial to the dub, because their voices are just so amazing, but I am also in love with the original Japanese. Syaoran's Japanese voice actor seems more passionate, but his English voice actor does really well, especially in the second season, and I feel his voice fits better. I like Mokona's English voice more than the Japanese version, to be honest, but neither is annoying.

Spirited Away
Tie. It has a good English voice cast that did EXTREMELY well, and I also loved it in Japanese, too. I think I actually like Chihiro's Japanese voice more than her English, but the girl who played in the dub did VERY well! But I think I like Haku's English voice better than his Japanese.

xxxHOLiC
Dub. I've watched many of the episode in Japanese, and they didn't do a bad job, but for some reason, it's not as enjoyable. The voices in the dub, however, I feel match them better, and their acting is amazing! It's superior to the sub in many ways. Especially Watanuki! His English voice actor seems to put more feel and passion into his character. He does the most excellent job out of all of them! And Yuuko, oh man, perfect choice for her dub voice! It matches perfectly, and her acting fits Yuuko's personality like a glove.

Tsubasa Chronicles: Princess of Birdcage Kingdom
Tie. The Japanese voice actors did AMAZING as usual. I enjoyed it almost, almost a little better than the dub. BUT! The dub still wins my heart, because the actors seem to have put all their heart and soul, they actually did better than in the actual series! And the parts where Syaoran screams, the dub voice actor did a better job than the Japanese, he put alot more emphesis and passion into it.

That's all for now. Now post YOUR THOUGHTS!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 pm

D. Gray-Man- I much prefer the sub to the dub. While the English voice cast is.... adequet, some of the voices fail to fit the look of the character or fail to come close to how the original voices sounded. The sub voices seems to fit better.

Princess Mononoke - You could honetly go either way with this. It's positively eeire how well the English voice actors match their Japanese counterparts!

Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie- has the same voice actors for both the Nelvana dub of the tv show as the English track in this. But they do sound a bit older than their supposed ages, so that's a downside. The Japanese cast, however, sounds the age of the character and has the same voice cast from the uncut tv show. So... I prefer the Japanese.

Cardcaptor Sakura: The Sealed Card - Well, they made a boo-boo with the English voice casting for this one. All the ten-year-olds sound about twenty, instead of fifteen like in the first film (doubly bad since they're all supposed to be about 10 or 11). This is due to having a different cast of voice actors entirely- they are not the voices from the American version of the TV show or the first movie. The Japanese subbed version manages to keep the entire voice cast from the tv show, though, and again, they sound their ages. Again, much preference to the Japanese/
Atria35

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 am

For now I only talk about dubs I like

Azumanga Daioh - I prefer Chiyo's voice in English.
Lucky Star - I watch both interchangably. Patty is annoying in both.
Dragonball - Goku sounds like an adult when he becomes an adult. Yays!
Haruhi - Good overall dub. Love the overlap on English / Japanese between this and Lucky Star. Haruhi / Konata, Itsuki / Daisuke Ono, Taniguchi / Minoru Shiraishi, and at least 1 other I'm forgetting. They're the same in English, they're the same in Japanese. Wonderful effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1391823) wrote:For now I only talk about dubs I like

Azumanga Daioh - I prefer Chiyo's voice in English.

I've only seen one episode, but this was the main reason I was staying away from the dub. Does it really get better?

Also, I'll begin with my favorite dubs, then ties, and then my favorite subs.

Cowboy Bebop:Dub. Need I explain?

Full Metal Panic!:Dub. This is hands down one of the best dubs I've ever seen. Luci Christian, Chris Patton, Vic Mignogna, Allison Keith, Hilary Haag, whoever plays Gauron, they're all spot-on. Also, the extras have believable voices, which always makes things better.

Fullmetal Alchemist:Tie. Both versions are excellent, and I can listen to either.

Ouran High School Host Club:Tie. Vic Mignogna and Mamoru Miyano both make excellent womanizers.

Darker than BLACK:Tie. I can switch between either version on this, they're both pretty good.

Soul Eater:Sub. Maka, Spirit's, and Soul's dubbing is excellent, but the others just kind of suck. The Japanese casting is excellent.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood:Sub. I'm going to be stoned for this, but besides the awesome job done by Vic, Colleen, and Travis, this dub just isn't as good the original FMA's, but the sub remains as good as it was when it started.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1391853) wrote:I'm going to be stoned for this
Nah. The sub is fantastic. The only thing keeping it from perfection is the absence of Col. Mustang's VA from the first series.

But, if you want controversy, I'll throw out an opinion that I'm quite sure I'm alone on.

Baccano! - Sub > Dub. For me, the sub just wins hands down. Now, the dub is by no means a bad dub. The English VAs do a fine job. I do understand the location/accuracy argument, but that gets no truck with me. The audio track I prefer is the one with the best quality of voice acting, whether the show takes place in Okinawa, Marseilles or Pittsburgh. For my money, Baccano! is funnier, more intense, and just a better experience with Japanese audio.

*Edit
Princess Mononoke - You could honetly go either way with this. It's positively eeire how well the English voice actors match their Japanese counterparts!
Dittos. This dub is fantastic. Pity they couldn't do a similar job w/ Howl's.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:23 am

Baccano! - Sub > Dub. For me, the sub just wins hands down. Now, the dub is by no means a bad dub. The English VAs do a fine job. I do understand the location/accuracy argument, but hat gets no truck with me. The audio track I prefer is the one with tyhe best quality of voice acting, whether the show takes place in Okinawa, Marseille or Pittsburg. For my money, Baccano! is funnier, more intense, and just a better experience with Japanese audio.

Agreed. I can listen to both, but I think the sub is above par, even as good as the dub is.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex- While I marginally prefer the sub over the dub, because some of the more complex lines/long lines of reasoning and explanation are rather hard to transfer over to English and still be with the lip-flaps, they are both pretty much on equal ground.

Planetes- again, a slightly better sub, though the dub isn't half bad. Though the only voice I didn't mind was Tanabe's- the other dub voices for the members of Half Section didn't quite jive, for the most part. The side character's voices were pretty good, though. The voice acting itself was also a tad better on the Japanese side, too.

When They Cry- Some pretty bad choices for actors for the English side, as well as some poor voice acting bring this down (I'm looking at you, Rena!). Some of the side characters are pretty good, which is a real shame! The Japanese track is better overall, though, both for acting and voice quality.
Atria35

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 03, 2010 1:31 pm

The most hideous Zatch Bell is actually GOOOD when seen in its original Japanese as Konjiki no Gasshu Beru.

Because Gasshu is PIKACHU. That is teh awesum of all time.

Yuu Yuu Hakusho: An excellent dub, but I prefer the sub because of Hiei.

Fullmetal Alchemist: I actually prefer the dub! Love that Vic.

Rurouni Kenshin:
About equal, sub and dub. These days I sort of lean towards subs in general.

Maison Ikkoku: heard about thirty seconds of the dub by accident. SUB!

Sailor Moon: In the dub, I want to throw them all off a very high cliff. SUB!

I could go on..... :lol:
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby rocklobster » Mon May 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Dubs I like:
1. Any Miyazaki Dub. Come on, in the Disney version of Nausicaa, we get to hear Picard! That's instant awesome!
2. Cowboy Bebop: two words: Steve Blum. The sub isn't half bad either.
3. Rahxephon: Kira Vincent-Davis does a great job as Quon, although Maaya Sakamoto's voice is more melodic.
4. Big O: Everyone in the sub sounds like they're trying to rush through their lines. Dub for me.
5. Trigun: three words: Johnny Yong Bosch. I swear, sometimes I want Vash to shout "Black Ranger Power!":lol: Also, Jeff Nimoy was great as Wolfwood
6. Naruto: It's amazing how close Maile Flanagan comes to Junko Takeuchi's voice. Especially since this is her first gig!
Subs I like:
1. Azumanga Daioh: I'm sorry, but Osaka should not sound like a teenage Scarlet O'Hara.
2. Cowboy Bebop: Ed's voice is quite melodic here. I guess I'm tied
3. Gundam 00: I've heard both, but I think the sub's better.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Oh, goodness this one is going to be dangerous for me. Not because of anything controversial (at least, I don't think so...:sweat:) but because I have way too much to say about this topic...

Rurouni Kenshin: Sub. If for nothing else than the fact that Kenshin's little verbal tics just don't work in English, and the transition from happy-go-lucky, ultra-humble rurouni to brash and intense Battousai is so much more gripping when his entire speech pattern changes. As opposed to in the English, where Kaoru can only remark that his voice sounds different...

Fruits Basket: Dub. Mostly because I prefer Jerry Jewell as Kyo, and John Burgmeier as Shigure. Jerry's Kyo is such a punk, and although John's Shigure is just as much of a goofy perv as the Japanese, there's also just a tinge more warmth in his performance in the serious scenes that I like a lot. But that whole dub was amazing.

Ouran High School Host Club: Tie. And this is REALLY surprising, actually, because I fell in love with the Japanese version before Funi even licensed it, and though I had high hopes for the dub, I never expected to like it as well as I did. The first time I watched it in English though, it was...jarring, actually, just because some performances were so very different (J. Michael Tatum's Kyouya comes to mind, especially) but after about 4 or so episodes, I was used to the new voices and really enjoyed them a lot. Even Kyouya, which is pretty amazing, since I adored (and still do) Masaya Matsukaze's Kyouya so much. And come on, can one really choose between Miyano Mamoru and Vic Mignogna as Tamaki?!

xxxHolic: Sub. I don't have any problems with anyone in the dub, but to me, Jun Fukuyama is Watanuki. When I'm reading the manga, it's his voice I hear, even though I'm reading it in English. He's a difficult character, since he's so over the top, and he could be really annoying if not done well, but Jun really nailed him, and probably a big part of why I love Watanuki so much is Jun's interpretation of him.

Death Note: Sub. This is a hard one, actually, since the dub is pretty amazing, but the sub is so full of my favorite seiyuu, and there are just little picky things here and there that didn't translate very well...(L's reveal of himself to Light, for example...Alessandro Juliani did a great job with what he was given, but geez...it just didn't work as well in English) so I'm going to go with sub on this one. Not to mention, I first really got interested in Death Note because it had my favorite voices from Ouran in it. lol.

D. Gray Man: Dub. I never understood why people got so up in arms about Travis Willingham playing Kanda, but then, I was watching the sub and dub for the first episode back to back, so it wasn't like I'd spent a whole season with his Japanese voice and then got a shock when I finally heard him in English. But my favorite performance in English? J. Michael Tatum's Komui. I saw this way before I ever heard him as Isaac in Baccano! so when I thought of Tatum's voice I heard Kyouya, or Doumeki - calm, cool, snarky types. I'd never heard him go so over the top before, but I loved it! I nearly fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard during the episode where Komui's robot nearly destroys the Black Order.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Tie. I just can't choose. They are both too good. And I can't wait to hear Brotherhood in English, but it's going to be tough to win through my love of Brotherhood's Japanese cast - it's got even more of my favorite seiyuu in it than the original.

Wolf's Rain: Sub. This is another one that was tough to choose, since the dub is really good, but I do slightly prefer the voices in the sub. Darcia especially. Nothing against Steve Blum's Darcia at all, but Takaya Kuroda's voice is SO unique...I just love it.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles: Tie. I prefer whichever one I happen to be watching at the time. lol.

That's enough for now, though I'll probably be back later...lol.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon May 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1391853) wrote:I've only seen one episode, but this was the main reason I was staying away from the dub. Does it really get better?

Neither of Chiyo's voices (English or Japanese, I mean) are realistic for a 10 year old - 12 year old girl, but of the two, the English is much closer. The Japanese voice for Chiyo is so completely horrid, I can't bear to listen to it. She sounds like what her seiyuu is: An adult trying to sound super cute, and the result makes her a lot younger sounding (in some ways) than 10. More like 4. It's annoying as crap and at least the English voice, while also being an adult playing a kid, sounds closer to 10 than 4.

I think this comes down to you heard Chiyo's voice in Japanese first... I feel there is no other way you could have thought her voice sounded better. It's not cute. It's nasaly and extremely fake sounding and annoying.

I also hear people complain about Osaka, but I find no complaints there, either. She has a regional "hick" accent exactly the same way people in Tokyo view Osaka (the city, and the Kansai region in general)

As I like to do other things while I watch TV, I only tend to prefer sub when the dub is outright terrible or the dub only exists in an altered form.

Higurashi... Terrible dub
Urusei Yatsura... I only saw the second movie dubbed, but it's terrible too.
There are a number of others, but those two stand out in my memory.

I refuse to watch the Sailormoon Dub by DiC or by the other group, but if Funi ever redubs it like they've been looking into, I'll buy the set outright.

When I watch Naruto (kind of gave up after they started the last filler arc... straw that broke the camel's back, and all that) I only watch Sub because... Well, because the Dub is made for American kids. Not just made for kids, because the show is already, but American kids in particular. It's Nickelodeon / Disney channel culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]Aria The Animation/Natural/Origination: SUB - Not much choice here as there is ONLY a sub version, which considering the story is quite appropriate.

Sgt. Frog: DUB - God bless you Funimation for casting a great group of actors with a HILARIOUS script! Todd Habberkorn really makes Keroro shine!

Neon Genesis Evangelion: BOTH - A Classic in both languages. I have to say, even though there is a gender difference in the V/A's for Shinji Ikari, when he screams, it's equally blood curdling. And of course, Tiffany Grant IS Asuka Langley Soryu.

Lucky Star: SUB (but only slightly) - Both the English and the Japanese are very well done, however I have to give one extra point to the Japanese version because of that one scene when Aya Hirano shifted from the Haruhi voice to the Konata voice. She did that better in my opinion than Wendee Lee.

Hare+Guu: DUB - Alex Simon as Hare is made of win and awesome and Jennifer Sekiguchi's portrayal of the deadpan yet completely sarcastic Guu is hilarious!

Nerima Daikon Brothers: DUB (only slightly) - I have to give the English V/A's mad props because not only were they hilarious, they also harmonized with each and every song perfectly.

Azumanga Daioh: BOTH - One word--OSAKA. Granted I know I may be in the minority for loving the country accent, but hey I'm weird like that.

Pilot Candidate: SUB - Honestly...who's bright idea was it to cast Joshua Seth as YET ANOTHER "genki shonen" character? Haven't we had enough of that with Tai from Digimon?

Fullmetal Alchemist: DUB - Just as Tiffany Grant owns Asuka, so does Vic McDerpaderp owns the Shrimp.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Atria35 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Man, I feel so bad- I didn't like Vic as Ed! Ah, well. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there.

Blood: The Last Vampire: Technically it's only dub, BUT the American characters are voiced in English by Western and Japanese voice actors (somewhat clunkily, but it's a far cry from the Engrish we're so often subjected to in these cases!), while the Japanese characters speak in Japanese with normal subtitles. Totally cool!

Detective Conan (aka Case Closed)- While it's a sore spot for me that they went ahead and Westernized the names of the characters and changed how they protrayed certain characters, and various other things for the dub, I'd say that as far as voice acting and the voice actors go they chose well for both the sub and dub. So as far as that goes, you can't really go wrong either way (though the voice actress for the little girl is pretty bad in the English version).

Ouran for me has to be the original. While they're both very good, Kyouya in the original just pushes it over the edge.

Castle in the Sky- Argh! They're both great! Can't.... Choose!
Atria35

Postby airichan623 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Code Geass: Phenominal dub!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must watch. I personally like Lelouch's voice better in english.

Naruto Shippuuden: Good as always, but Maile Flanagan didnt make her voice change for the older Naruto, which bugs me slightly.

Princess Tutu: Either Way.

Tokyo Mew Mew: Sub, hands down.

Lucky Star: Though I havent seen much of the dub, I like the sub better cuz it keeps all the Japan pop culture stuff mixed in, which i understand.

Tsubasa and xxxHOLIC: Tie.

Ouran: Both good.

Full Metal Alchemist
: Dub, the names sound better in English than with a Japanese accent.

Fruits Basket: Dub. Hooray for boys acted by men! :D

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Chrysolite » Wed May 05, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm definitely a dub-detractor for the most part, but once in a while I'm obliged to try the dub for some anime or another and find, to my own surprise, that I am actually impressed with it. :P

I really liked the dub of Kodocha. Though I'm amazed to admit it, I think Laura Bailey did a better job making Sana sound hyperactive and crazy than the Japanese actress, and even did a better scream. *-*

I also really liked the dub for Gunslinger Girl, though I can't say I preferred it, and the dub for "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" wasn't too shabby, either.

My all-time favorite dub is probably Death Note. Objectively, I wouldn't say the Dub is better than the Sub, but I personally prefer it, simply because I absolutely love Alessandro Juliani's voice as L. If there are any Death Note fans present who haven't seen the "Relight" specials, I recommend watching this clip. I can honestly' say, from my admittedly limited experience with dubs, that I consider this to be one of the greatest moments in dubbing history. ^-^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1uSCnuCzwM
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed May 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Full Metal Alchemist (first series; haven't seen Brotherhood dub yet) - For a long time, I much preferred the sub, because that was what I first saw it in, and to this day I still hear the seiyuus' voices when I think of the characters or read the manga or whatever. Romi Paku is Ed, Toru Okawa is Mustang, etc. When I first heard the dub, I really didn't like it because the voices were different, and if you ask me they weren't acting as well towards the beginning of the show. (Especially Travis Willingham. He sounded really bored towards the beginning of the show, but round about episode 25, he started getting really good and hit all of Mustang's emotions perfectly, and anyone who's seen the show knows why it started then.) I still think Vic Mignogna's voice is too low for a fifteen-year-old, but after several years of watching both versions ad nauseam, I think I like them both the same now. In both languages, the voice actors are really good - in the dub, especially in the most emotional moments, and especially towards the end of the series.

Haibane Renmei - Really, how could you choose between them? The voices in the dub match the subbed ones so perfectly, it's like hearing the same people suddenly speaking English! I like them both the same, though I think I cried more at the ending of the dub (which I watched second), just because the lines said in the climax are more powerful when you hear them in your mother tongue.

Wolf's Rain - Again, I don't think I can choose. The sub was perfect, but then the dub was amazing too! They matched the voices really well, and I love how they made their voices sound growly, just like wolves should sound. Also, Tsume is my favorite character, and when I heard Crispin Freeman say his line that I have in my sig, I just about drowned myself in my own tears.

All Miyazaki movies - The dubs. I don't know why it is, but the dubbed voices always sound better to me. The Japanese voices tend to sound more subdued, kind of bored at times. But the English voices really bring out the emotions, I think.

Grave of the Fireflies - This is the only Studio Ghibli movie I've seen where I liked both versions equally. It was really poignant to hear the Japanese, since it does take place in Japan. So while the dub was again spot-on, the original was also good because it made it feel even more realistic.

Uh...I guess that's it. I really don't watch many dubs. I'm a big fan of watching things in their original language.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Thu May 06, 2010 4:08 am

Haibane Renmei - Really, how could you choose between them? The voices in the dub match the subbed ones so perfectly, it's like hearing the same people suddenly speaking English! I like them both the same, though I think I cried more at the ending of the dub (which I watched second), just because the lines said in the climax are more powerful when you hear them in your mother tongue.

I watched both versions too, and I have to say it's a tie. Rakka sounds great in both and I'm amazed at how close the English VA is to the original.
Grave of the Fireflies - This is the only Studio Ghibli movie I've seen where I liked both versions equally. It was really poignant to hear the Japanese, since it does take place in Japan. So while the dub was again spot-on, the original was also good because it made it feel even more realistic.

I have to disagree here. The sub is better for this reason: The kids are being voiced by children who are exactly the same age as the ones being portrayed. Since it's so rare for kids to be involved in anything like an anime, this is a bonus.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 am

I am no great fan of dubbed anything, not just anime. If it's in French, I want to hear it in French. If it's in Japanese, I want to hear it in Japanese. Et cetera. Most of the time I don't even bother with anime dubs.

That being said, Cowboy Bebop is better in English, hands down, full stop. Big O was also pretty good in English. I liked what I saw of the Gundam 00 dub except Richard Cox as Allelujah. He just didn't have enough range for that role, whereas the Japanese voice actor freaking nailed it.

On the subject of Ghibli films, if I watch them at all, I watch them subbed unless forced to do otherwise. :P The dub of Howl's Moving Castle was pretty good (too bad the movie itself wasn't).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Fri May 07, 2010 2:34 pm

more dub comparisons:
Silent Mobius: sub. The deep voice for Kitty in the original seems more convincing.
Tenchi Universe: tie. Both casts do a good job.
Geneshaft: tie. Although I like Beatrice's sub voice better.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby AnimeGirl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Angelic Layer
Dub. I only watched some snippets of it in Japanese to see what it was like (I plan to watch the whole thing through again in Japanese, though) and from what I could hear....I like the dub better. Especially Monica Rial as Tamayo! She....was....perfect! Also...
[spoiler]In the scene where she confesses her love to Koutaro-chan, Monica did an amazing job putting the feel and emotion, with the panting of her breath as she ran, and the tears starting to fall from her eyes. In Japanese, it felt kinda stiff.[/spoiler]
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

AnimeGirl

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:34 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:I am no great fan of dubbed anything, not just anime. If it's in French, I want to hear it in French. If it's in Japanese, I want to hear it in Japanese.

Can you imagine of Tarantino had done Inglorious Basterds with a dub? We wouldn't get to hear Christopher Waltz speak three languages. We wouldn't even KNOW he was speaking three languages because it'd all be in English.

Ranma 1/2 has a fantastic dub though.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Yes, Ranma 1/2 has an excellent dub (though I prefer Sarah Strange as Ranma-kun). I also really like the You're Under Arrest! dub (in fact, the Japanese director liked the job AnimEigo did with the OAVs so much that he told the TV VA cast to watch them in English). And, overall, I prefer Maison Ikkoku in English, even though I wouldn't consider it a stunningly good dub.

In the dismal category, the Urusei Yatsura dubs range from dull to execrable (I agree with Bob that the second movie dub was horrible -- I wrote a review on that a long time ago and I still think it stinks). Good thing the TV show is entirely sub.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am

shooraijin wrote:(though I prefer Sarah Strange as Ranma-kun)

You and me both. Not that Richard Ian Cox did a bad job, he's a very good voice actor. But Sarah Strange had been male Ranma for so long and was so very good at it, that the change was a bit jarring and he just didn't fit as well, to me.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 pm

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Sub. Barely. Why? The English VA's sound a tad stiff with some of the lines they're given.

Monster - Sub. Hidenobu Kiuchi is Tenma. There shall be no other.

Millenium Actress - I liked both soundtracks for this one. I'll call it a tie!

Escaflowne - Sub. There were some good VAs on the English side, but the subs put it over the edge.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Atria35 (post: 1399428) wrote:Monster - Sub. Hidenobu Kiuchi is Tenma. There shall be no other.

Fun story, when he was auditioning, everyone was making a big deal about the VA for Char being there, but he was never into anime, so he was all "What's a Char?".
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:59 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1399436) wrote:Fun story, when he was auditioning, everyone was making a big deal about the VA for Char being there, but he was never into anime, so he was all "What's a Char?".

LOLZ! That's AWESOME! :thumb:
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Totally forgot one- Le Chevalier de Eon- Dub. The people who did the dub of this went above and beyond their job description. It's absolutely superb! I would recommend watching with the subtitles on anyway, since there are words and phrases in French that aren't translated when listening to the dub, which is really the only drawback.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Atria35 (post: 1400185) wrote:Totally forgot one- Le Chevalier de Eon- Dub. The people who did the dub of this went above and beyond their job description. It's absolutely superb! I would recommend watching with the subtitles on anyway, since there are words and phrases in French that aren't translated when listening to the dub, which is really the only drawback.

An anime with french words??? Interesting XD

AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 pm

AnimeGirl (post: 1400217) wrote:An anime with french words??? Interesting XD

Indeed- not only have they done their research into then language (you see a lot of it written), but it takes place almost entirely in 17th Century France! And when I compare what I saw when I was in Paris and Versaille to what I see on the screen, the amount of detail in astounding- I feel like I'm reliving my time there! (minus the 17th century people, of course! XD )
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 pm

I tend to lean towards dubs because usually I don't like to read my movies. Although I have seen Cross Game and Millenium Actress subbed (they are the only ones available to me). I must say, I do like the acting for both of them. In other news....

Hikaru no Go: erm....this is hard. I watched every dubbed episode I could. I've seen a little bit subbed, but I'd say they are about the same. Acting-wise, the Japanese was better, but the English dub had it's moments as well. Brad Swaile and Samuel Vincent did pretty well with both their characters. So I guess for me, I prefer the dub so I wouldn't have to read the subtitles. lol XD!

Miyazaki films: Dub, mostly because I've never seen it fully subbed before. I'm thinking that I'd like to see em'. From what (very little) I heard, the sub and dub sounds about the same. Though I must say that I prefer the Disney dubs of Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service, because they have more wit and funny one-liners than their original Japanese counterparts.

Origin~Spirits of the past: So far, dub. I haven't seen the Japanese, plus it's DONE BY FUNIMATION FOR CRYING OUTLOUD!!!!! XD!

Tsubasa Chronicles: TIE! I love Fai's voice actor and his seiyuu. Both do him just PERFECTLY! I've only seen a few Japanese clips, but I still love it! Hyuu Hyuu~!

Oooo, that's all I can name at the moment. There shall be more when I return! *leaves with dramatic music*
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:58 am

AnimeGirl (post: 1400217) wrote:An anime with french words??? Interesting XD

It's common enough. The Japanese love French stuff.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews