Mobile Suit Gundam

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam

Postby Nozomi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:11 am

Understandable. Well, we'll just have to wait until October this year to see what they mean!
Nozomi

Postby KnightOfFive » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Nozomi wrote:Also, they mentioned that they will finally be releasing Gundam ZZ to North American audiences for the first time ever, via the new all-studios collaborative streaming site, Daisuki.net. I THINK I also heard them say that Gundam ZZ will be dubbed in that case, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm excited about it, even though I've already seen the whole thing in fansub.

If this is true, especially the dub rumor, then you have made my month! Nozomi, you are beautiful! :hug:
KnightOfFive

Postby Nozomi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Heh, thanks!

Yeah, I love going to the Sunrise/Gundam Panels when they fall on the day that I go (Saturday/Day 3). Only been to two so far, but they've both been great!
Nozomi

Postby battletech » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 am

Nozomi wrote:Also, they mentioned that they will finally be releasing Gundam ZZ to North American audiences for the first time ever, via the new all-studios collaborative streaming site, Daisuki.net. I THINK I also heard them say that Gundam ZZ will be dubbed in that case, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm excited about it, even though I've already seen the whole thing in fansub.

If they said dub then it must be the Animax dub.
battletech

Postby battletech » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:39 pm

All six eps. of Unicorn are watchable on Daisuki for a fee of JPY 499 each.
battletech

Postby Nozomi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Well that's nice! Wish that had been going on from the start of the series, heh...
Nozomi

Postby Crossfire » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 am

I have yet to see episode six, and I've forgotten a lot of the plot points by now... guess this is a good time to rewatch the entirety thus far. I hope I have a decent internet connection by next week...
Crossfire

Postby Nozomi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:40 pm

battletech wrote:

If they said dub then it must be the Animax dub.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm aware of the existence of the Animax dub, but it was my vague impression (or at least hope) that they will be issuing a modern re-dub sometime in the future. Can't say for sure though.

Speaking of Gundam ZZ...

https://www.daisuki.net/movies/watch/LDc/sEc

They've finally released Gundam ZZ on an official streaming site! If you've never seen this previously "No Import For You" series, and you want to watch all of Gundam (or at least the UC timeline), here's your chance to get started! Please note, however, that if you're expecting something with the same production values as its direct predecessor, Zeta Gundam, you might be disappointed. The first half is kind of odd but if you bear with it, the 2nd half makes the series worth watching.

And finally... I'm over halfway through the first series for Gundam Seed. So far, it's an excellent series, especially for character writing and growth. I've been told that Seed Destiny is quite different, but... I'll get through it. I have to; I'm committed to watching the entire canon franchise.
Nozomi

Postby battletech » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:56 pm

battletech

Postby Crossfire » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Music sounds good, the fights look amazing, the variety of MS is most pleasing. The only thing I'm extremely weary of is the inevitable high school drama.
Crossfire

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14 pm

hyyyype! Zaku Amazing is an amazing name.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby battletech » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeZ4WkE5qOE
A Gunpla commercial in English! Have not seen a Gunpla commercial in English since Gundam Wing was airing on Toonami.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 am

Ah, I was expecting actual voice work. Ah well, I suppose Bandai at least gave a small attempt here. Though I wish Gunpla was a available in Canada at ye olde common hobby shops instead of specialized "import stores" that mark the price up by 300%. (No, I won't buy your $40 High Grades.)
Crossfire

Postby Crossfire » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Thought I may as well post here instead of the other thread, being Gundam and all.

Finished Gundam Seed yesterday, and made the mistake of watching Episode 1/2 of the Destiny remaster. All I have are questions at this point. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It looks like the Federation and ZAFT are still fighting, despite the peace agreement? What happened to Kira? Mu La Flag took on his brother's evil role? Why is this almost exactly like the first episode in Seed?
Crossfire

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 am

Crossfire wrote:Thought I may as well post here instead of the other thread, being Gundam and all.

Finished Gundam Seed yesterday, and made the mistake of watching Episode 1/2 of the Destiny remaster. All I have are questions at this point. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It looks like the Federation and ZAFT are still fighting, despite the peace agreement? What happened to Kira? Mu La Flag took on his brother's evil role? Why is this almost exactly like the first episode in Seed?

I'll be honest and say I erased (almost) all my memories of Destiny. I assume you know its infamous reputation. I think you do get answers to your questions but...they're really dumb answers that ruin all the characters. Kira will show up later and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: be insanely OP and the only redeeming thing about the series. How'd you like SEED though? It's my favorite Gundam series as long as I ignore that abomination sequel. Although, Turn A is next on my list and I've heard some very good things about it.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Crossfire » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I thought it was absolutely SPOILER: Highlight text to read: decent. I let other people's opinion sway mine, and as it turns out I don't think it was an abomination by any means. Sure, stock footage sucks and Kira was a whiny brat at times (don't get me started on flay), but for a retelling of the Gundam story it wasn't that bad. I liked how the war progressed and the lines between who was "right" became more and more blurred out, eventually leading to the mentality of mutually assured destruction between ZAFT and the Federation.

I've also come to the realization that the Gin is a pretty cool mobile suit. I'll have to order a 1/144 kit at some point.
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9H1u1zFVNc First ep. of Gundam Build Fighters.They are showing this outside of Asia unlike AGE.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Yeah, I was going to post that. Don't have time right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing this new show in action.

Edit: Episode one. Pretty much what I expected, and I loved what I saw. Can't wait until we see the more drawn-out battles.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: RAMBA RAL IS ALIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 am

Highlight of the first ep. of Gundam Build Fighters.
battletech

Postby Crossfire » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 am

I can see it already. That child and his father walking in the store and seeing the Gouf... "Dad, what's that blue Zaku?"
Crossfire

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Do they really make model kits as big as the ones on the shelf behind him?
Davidizer13

Postby blkmage » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm

The kid likes Wing a little bit too much.

I don't think the box for the PG Wing Zero Custom is exactly that big (the perspective seems a bit off), but it's a real kit that I've seen in real life. I think the HG GP-03 Dendrobium does have a box that's actually that big though.
blkmage

Postby Crossfire » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Episode two. I wasn't expecting a kit from SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Turn A to appear so soon, but I'm glad the lesser known suits will make appearances. I hope Ral keeps on randomly showing up to battles.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Reiji (or however you spell it) confirmed for alien? Time traveler? Pseudo newtype?
Crossfire

Postby blkmage » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 pm

lost it at SPOILER: Highlight text to read: plavsky particles

and then it had to end with SPOILER: Highlight text to read: TEARS OF TIME
blkmage

Postby KazeShiki » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:15 am

It's been as great as I hoped it would be. The music is so good too. Only potential issue is with the SPOILER: Highlight text to read: supernatural/alien/something element. Would've preferred just standard newtype, but I'll withhold judgement for now.
blkmage wrote:lost it at SPOILER: Highlight text to read: plavsky particles

That was truly ingenious.
KazeShiki

Postby Crossfire » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 am

Did you guys catch any references? During that scene at the model club's room, it showed a red-ish aircraft. As it turns out, it's an ME-163 Komet. Also, during the battle that zaku pilot (who's name escapes me at the moment) started chanting "moeagare(ru?)"... words from the original Gundam's opening.
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Great second ep. of Build Fighter. Nice to see Mr. Ral is sticking around and what in the world is Reiji?
battletech

Postby SilverToast » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:50 am

Third episode was exciting.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I enjoyed seeing the fighting and how Reiji beat the zakus with a pod. haha

Although I thought that the old hardcore gunpla modelers and gunpla battlers should've at least known enough of the gunpla battle metagame to give Reiji a challenge. They've been playing and modeling for years. But no. Other-world-alien with seemingly magic powers beats all except that one kid who pilots the Red Comet. Anything related to Char is awesome enough to beat magic from other dimensions.

Oh well. The show is still great and entertaining with the magical element. I was hoping for a sports anime plot though. I follow a competitive videogame scene so seeing there wasn't some sort of metagame mentioned in the show disappointed me.
SilverToast

Postby Crossfire » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Wanted to post this. Just 'cause. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbWZT2KQ9IQ
Crossfire

Postby battletech » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 am

WOW episode six of Build Fighters had an awesome Gundam battle.
battletech

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews