Let's Watch: Durarara!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:47 pm

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-542534/durarara-24/

Last episode is here.

A solid ending, I do say. I liked how it didn't really feel like a conclusion, it fits the atmosphere of the show. That, and all the characters got to do one last cool thing, which is important. More thoughts later, perhaps.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:45 pm

That was great. The perfect ending to a near-perfect show.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby shade of dae » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Aww, it's over. Such a fun ending to a great show. I'm really hoping there's a second season. I think that the creators could pull off a second season that's as great as the first.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:20 pm

I strongly suspect that there is something about Izaya that made him a little tougher than normal. Something just ain't quite right there.

I really liked this episode. Kida's scene with his girlfriend was great. Celty's and Shinra's scene on the balcony was hilarious, and the chatroom scene was excellent, showing how the world has stayed tied together. Different ending song is something that's rarely done and I really enjoyed it here. It ties things up well and leaves the series in a good place whether it continues or not. (The production company can't say yes or no yet on that since the last episode only aired a couple weeks ago.)

Speaking of the production company though, the first 8 or so episodes will be out on DVD this coming January, with Dubs, distributed by Aniplex in a 2 DVD set. The remaining episodes will also be distributed in similar sized 2 disk sets over the course of next year. So we get to own this wonderfulness pretty soon!

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 am

Amazing last episode, it makes me ache for more (which is rare for me), and it was just overall...awesome. Yes. Lovely wrap-up!

But I have to ask...

...was I the only one who did a jump, fist-pump and a "YES!" when Simon punched Izaya?
MightiMidget

Postby blkmage » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:02 am

I don't think either of the later two arcs had the amazing finish that the first arc did, nor were they as strong overall. That said, the conclusion did give everyone an ending they deserved, which is fine by me. I'm definitely looking forward to a second season of this (which seems likely since production committees like money and this series has given them a ton of it). It's probably still my favourite show of the year.
blkmage

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:53 am

MightiMidget (post: 1406270) wrote:Amazing last episode, it makes me ache for more (which is rare for me), and it was just overall...awesome. Yes. Lovely wrap-up!

But I have to ask...

...was I the only one who did a jump, fist-pump and a "YES!" when Simon punched Izaya?

No. You were not the only one. Of course I added a 'Boo-Ha' to that. Simon was the right person for the job.

And Shizuo once again pulled an epic out of nowhere for a fine touch. And about time the cops show up.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:18 am

A solid ending to a good show. I didn't think the last arc was as strong as some of the earlier stuff, but I still quite enjoyed it. The anime animated 3 out of currently 8 novels, so hopefully we will get the rest eventually.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:47 am

blkmage (post: 1406287) wrote:I don't think either of the later two arcs had the amazing finish that the first arc did, nor were they as strong overall. That said, the conclusion did give everyone an ending they deserved, which is fine by me. I'm definitely looking forward to a second season of this (which seems likely since production committees like money and this series has given them a ton of it). It's probably still my favourite show of the year.

I agree. The second half of the series felt a little weaker to me, but I was happy with it overall, and adored the characters so much that a slightly weak arc was pretty fine by me (stronger would have been better? but hey...).

Looking forward to the second season! Hope it's as good, if not better, than the first. =)
MightiMidget

Postby Hohenheim » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Just saw the ending to Durarara!! It was even better than I expected, and just awesome overall. Hopefully there will be more to come.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:30 pm

So, Durarara!! episode 24.

I know I've complained about this series recently, but I thought that ending was a tidy way to close shop. I'd welcome a second season, same as everyone.

My only beef is we didn't get Simon's full speech to Izaya. That would have be wondrous.
ich1990 (post: 1404805) wrote:EDIT: More Oriharas? That sounds like trouble, although I have a feeling they will be more interested in tormenting Izaya than messing with high schoolers.
Izaya's sisters hate him, but they love Shizuo, and even more they love Shizou's brother Kasuka - they have a standing offer to push Izaya in front of an oncoming bus if Shizou would scrounge up some concert tickets for them.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Some pixiv fanart that showed up today lead me to discover that a character that is mentioned completely in passing (it took me a while to figure out where they'd appeared) has an interesting role later on (and implies that another character or two also show up more often). This made me wonder just how much stuff happens in the later novels.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:39 pm

that second dvd episode had better come with an announcement of a second season
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm

For true. For flippin' true.
---
(post-watch) EDIT: Ventura! Ventura! Space People!

Also: Men in Black jokes? Really? lol
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm

O.O Ok, so obviously I wasn't watching it... but I want to know because I'm about to... Is the series safe-ish? Like, is it excessively violent or anything? I might be ok to watch it, but my younger siblings want to, too...
As far as violence goes, I'm hoping for Baccano! or under...?

Thanks in advance :D
[I]“Love crosses all boundaries, and is often shot for trespassing.â€
QuirkyIceHeart

Location: IN YOUR FACE. And the internet. And my personal dream worlds B) Arkansas for you boring people :P

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:36 pm

WAAAAY less violent than Baccano.

However, you do get more than a passing glance at the entirety of Celty, sans clothing, while she is on the operating table in episode four.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Yes, way, way less violent than Baccano! :oops: There are street fights, and someone gets their legs broken and you do hear the scream. As far as I can think though that is the most realistically violent thing that happens.

And yes, Celty on the operating table is naked, though it is not very detailed, and only for one scene. =)

As for other misc. things, Durarara!! has some suicide themes and a strong theme of gang violence. There are your typical jabs at one of their characters' endowment, and a disembodied head (not bloody or anything. It's literally, just a head). Language is a bit stronger than Baccano! but not by much (a few more f-bombs).

There's mild innuendo in the banter between Shinra and Celty, but as far as sexual content goes it's really mild in just a couple comments here and there. =)
MightiMidget

Postby QuirkyIceHeart » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Ah, ok. That's good :D Not too worried about it, then... Though from what it sounds like, I may end up watching it alone. Not sure about my younger sister watching that >.>
[I]“Love crosses all boundaries, and is often shot for trespassing.â€
QuirkyIceHeart

Location: IN YOUR FACE. And the internet. And my personal dream worlds B) Arkansas for you boring people :P

Postby MightiMidget » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:02 am

And I completely forgot about the Slasher. Why'll not gory? The Slasher is seriously creepy. :oops:
MightiMidget

Postby eternalprincess » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:06 am

ROFL. You know why she just remembered the Slasher? Because we watched that episode last night! XD

Midget did good in recommending this to me. ;) I enjoy it and I adore the art. Its simple without being TOO simple.

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby blkmage » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:14 pm

My goodness, episode 25 was awesome. SECOND SEASON WHERE
blkmage

Postby MightiMidget » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:32 pm

blkmage (post: 1462778) wrote:My goodness, episode 25 was awesome. SECOND SEASON WHERE

YES!! *hopes greatly!!*
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 am

So episode 25 is on crunchyroll.

Simon being ever-present made me laugh a lot.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:12 pm

"All is Peaceful"

*cough* Yeah, very *Cough* very*cough* Pea*Cough*cef*Coughcough*ul*CoughCough*

Does anyone have a Ricola?
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 am

Brains Base, if you want to keep that position as best studio you best be making a second season this Autumn.

Seriously though, this is exactly why I think Brains Base is the best studio. I've read the way Narita writes(though little , and while they do a fantastic job transferring that part to the screen, they don't just make a copy and paste job of it. Compare, say, a Bones adaptation, where while it may be good, they usually add little more than color, music, and voice acting to the show. They lift it visually straight from the source, and they don't really add much to the show. Sure, this Brotherhood show is pretty awesome, but why don't I just go read the manga?

Brains Base, by comparison, takes source material and does stuff with it. The use of connections in the Durarara!! stuff, for instance, is pretty spectacular. I can't remember a time where I've seen something in another show like it where we have that magnificent scene where all of the people normally colored grey gain color like in Durarara!! Baccano! manages to use anachronic order despite the light novels not being told with it, and still manages to keep consistency and do a fantastic job of wrapping up three removed storylines in one finale while slowly revealing information.

I was, however, a bit disappointed that when Shizuo first began his attack on Izaya he didn't throw the vending machine right next to him.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Re: Let's Watch: Durarara!!

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:41 am

Five years.

blkmage

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:45 am

O.O

I know quite a few people who will be very happy to hear this! :)
Mithrandir

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:27 am

Excellence. I have waited many a long year (more like...a few months). This should be good.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:44 am

...x2 Shou episode 1:

That was literally the perfect re-opener. :jump:

I loved how they continued the same visual style of OP & ED, I loved the re-introduction to the city and characters (with some of the new ones thrown in, too, of course), I loved the humor :lol: , I just loved all of it. :hug: (And, knowing Narita-sensei, I'm sure the new mystery will be good, too.) I am so looking forward to the rest of this! <3

Also: On a related note, Yen Press has just licensed the DRRR!! novels! :dance: This weekend has made my year. <3
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews