Read or Die!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Read or Die!

Postby madphilb » Fri May 30, 2003 2:08 pm

As I had posted over on the MSN forums, I picked up RoD on Wednesday from Best Buy ($22.99), I've since watched the 1st of the 3 "videos."

If the last two 1/2 hour sections hold up to the 1st one... then I've got a new anime to add to my list of "really likes."

The only down side so far (aside from the normal "language" stuff) is that one of the other agents (Ms. Deep) that fight along side Agent Paper shows far too much cleavage. That and they've made the US president to be a bit of a wimp (I'll just think of him as Mr. Clinton :D )

PHIL
madphilb

Postby SMoonEmpress » Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:55 pm

So you'd say it's worth buying/watching?
There was a big review of it in this month's "Animerica" and I thought it looked interesting...
LOL about the President being a whimp!!

About how much bad language would you say is in it, on a scale from 1 to 5 (one being a little, five being a ton)?
SMoonEmpress

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:13 am

Yeah, Phil, I know what you mean about the President being portrayed as a wuss. I also picked that up from Best Buy last week and I've watched the first one. It took me a sec to get into it, but then I was suddenly like ... this is cool. I'll probably watch the rest of it sometime this week.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

ROD Rocks

Postby Archan » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:01 pm

There is a review about Read Or Die if anyone wants any further info, as well as other links to further reviews.

I absolutely luved it, though the clevage thing is very true. As Miss Deep's character further develops, especially after the second episode, you wont really care about that....trust me.

As far as language...well, I saw a fan sub, so I don't know if the copy Best Buy is destributing has apporpreate language or not. As for the version I saw though, the language as far as being bad was around a 2 SMoonEmpress

As for the President....well I guess no ones perfect huh? And at first I thought Joker and the whole entire sector in fact was apart of the American government, sort of a covert defense being they had a base of operations located at the Lincoln memorial, but then they say something about an empire which I guessed was Great Brittian (All of Jokers tea drinking), now I really don't know though.

Thats one of the only things that confused me a little though, and once again I had a fan sub, so much of the translation might have been off.

Still, this Anime really rocked, if not because of the animation but also because of the over all concept which I really luved and really hit me as original (Though it probablly isnt...but eh) so I totally give it my seal of approval.

God Bless,
Archan
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby madphilb » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:09 am

I'd say it's a definate watch movie/series. The language I don't think is any worse than anything they've shown on Cartoon network (even Adult swim). As the series progresses (into the 2nd and 3rd sections) it gets a bit more violent, including a scene with a bit of blood (won't go into details, but it's part of the plot of the story).

BTW - Yes, they are part of a British agency, in addition to the accents (that you wouldn't pick up on in a sub) there are a few crests/logos that are very british, the tea drinking, etc. I think there is even a "UK" written somewhere. I did the same thing though, thought it was a US agency.

PHIL
madphilb

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews