Review Requests

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Review Requests

Postby Nocturnalux » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:47 pm

skreyola wrote:Can anyone tell me about the content of *deep breath* My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy?

I'm not a Christian myself but I really, really liked this one. It goes deeper than most romantic comedies by deconstructing the genre through the perspective of a highly cynical loner. His commentary on teenage society and school life is both heartbreaking and hilarious. All characters are interesting and well developed as it goes beyond the typical clichés. It does a brilliant job of mocking anime tropes, too.
There is a certain bittersweetness to it all. Characters like Hikigaya (whose name is aptly close to 'hikkikomori') are usually proven right by the power of nakama but in this case he is often shown to be right. Because he stands apart from all the interaction going on around him he has developed very good observation skills that actually end up helping others once he decides to get out of his shell a bit.

The foil to his paranoia is Yukino, an overachiever who finds herself every bit as isolated from her peers although for difficult reasons. Their interaction really makes the anime shine as both as extremely clever but have plenty of shortcomings. Them there is Yui, the popular girl who struggles with keeping up with her own posse and is down deep not half as self-confident as it seems.

Despite the title there is not much romance, this will probably change in the upcoming second season. What the anime does very well is to tackle some issues that are very pressing to Japanese society like social pressure, peer conformity, bullying and isolation. There is some fanservice and innuendo but not much.

skreyola wrote:Can anyone tell me about the content of *deep breath* My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy?

Lain is a wonderful piece of brilliant insanity. But be warned, it gets very disturbing and dark and if you are not into non-linear storytelling you will probably find it frustrating.
Nocturnalux

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:56 am

Nocturnalux wrote:

I'm not a Christian myself but I really, really liked this one. It goes deeper than most romantic comedies by deconstructing the genre through the perspective of a highly cynical loner. His commentary on teenage society and school life is both heartbreaking and hilarious. All characters are interesting and well developed as it goes beyond the typical clichés. It does a brilliant job of mocking anime tropes, too.
There is a certain bittersweetness to it all. Characters like Hikigaya (whose name is aptly close to 'hikkikomori') are usually proven right by the power of nakama but in this case he is often shown to be right. Because he stands apart from all the interaction going on around him he has developed very good observation skills that actually end up helping others once he decides to get out of his shell a bit.

The foil to his paranoia is Yukino, an overachiever who finds herself every bit as isolated from her peers although for difficult reasons. Their interaction really makes the anime shine as both as extremely clever but have plenty of shortcomings. Them there is Yui, the popular girl who struggles with keeping up with her own posse and is down deep not half as self-confident as it seems.

Despite the title there is not much romance, this will probably change in the upcoming second season. What the anime does very well is to tackle some issues that are very pressing to Japanese society like social pressure, peer conformity, bullying and isolation. There is some fan-service and innuendo but not much.

I think you are talking about a different series, Noturnalux. There is a series called My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy and another called My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. They are completely different, and I think you are referring to the latter one (which I greatly enjoyed). As for the content of the first, I was at first not going to say anything or post a review since I could barely get through the first episode.

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy has so much fan-service and puts the main character in so many ridiculously embarrassing situations both for him and the uncomfortable viewers watching that I could not bear another episode of it. Granted, I have stumbled upon some shows that push the limit on content, but this seemed way out there and without any substantial plot. Now, it's not like I watch shows only with plot (although I much prefer them). Nonetheless, if there isn't any plot, then there has to be something else good about the series - which there isn't here from my experience of the first episode and the reviews that I have read. I dropped it because I thought it a complete waste of time (something I try not to do - normally I just put it on hold forever). You can always try the first episode yourself and see what you think. I think how you take the first episode should be a predictor for the rest of the series in this case. It doesn't hold back from an embarrassing introduction.

Again, this is only the opinion of someone who somehow managed to get through the first episode without shutting it off.
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you both for your input.
ForeverInspired wrote:I think you are talking about a different series, Noturnalux. There is a series called My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy and another called My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. They are completely different, and I think you are referring to the latter one (which I greatly enjoyed).

I kind of thought that, given the details, but I wasn't sure.
ForeverInspired wrote:As for the content of the first, I was at first not going to say anything or post a review since I could barely get through the first episode.

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy has so much fan-service and puts the main character in so many ridiculously embarrassing situations both for him and the uncomfortable viewers watching that I could not bear another episode of it.

I'm glad you changed your mind and gave me this information. I'll skip that one and try to watch SNAFU, as I've seen two recommendations for it recently.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:42 pm

skreyola wrote:Thank you both for your input.
ForeverInspired wrote:I think you are talking about a different series, Noturnalux. There is a series called My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy and another called My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. They are completely different, and I think you are referring to the latter one (which I greatly enjoyed).

I kind of thought that, given the details, but I wasn't sure.
ForeverInspired wrote:As for the content of the first, I was at first not going to say anything or post a review since I could barely get through the first episode.

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy has so much fan-service and puts the main character in so many ridiculously embarrassing situations both for him and the uncomfortable viewers watching that I could not bear another episode of it.

I'm glad you changed your mind and gave me this information. I'll skip that one and try to watch SNAFU, as I've seen two recommendations for it recently.

Good idea. I think you'll like My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. It is mostly a conversational series like Bakemonogatari minus mostly the sensual and spiritual sides. I love how the conversation is just so clever!
ForeverInspired

Postby skreyola » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Has anyone seen No-Rin? I watched the first episode, and the story looks intriguing, but I want to know if the story is worth enduring the very cringe-worthy fanservice.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 am

skreyola wrote:Has anyone seen No-Rin? I watched the first episode, and the story looks intriguing, but I want to know if the story is worth enduring the very cringe-worthy fanservice.

Well, it does have its moments, but I don't think those few scenes warrant enduring the fanservice (which gets worse).
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby skreyola » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:44 pm

KazeShiki wrote:
skreyola wrote:Has anyone seen No-Rin? I watched the first episode, and the story looks intriguing, but I want to know if the story is worth enduring the very cringe-worthy fanservice.

Well, it does have its moments, but I don't think those few scenes warrant enduring the fanservice (which gets worse).

Thank you for the response. I won't pick this one up, then. Very sad, since the plot seems interesting.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby skreyola » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:06 pm

Can anyone tell me about the content of Geneshaft?
[ETA 3/14:] Also, I'm very surprised that neither Magi nor Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has a review. Could someone review them, please?
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Jeikobu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:10 am

Studio Ghibli's The Tale of Princess Kaguya, please!
Jeikobu

Postby LastLfan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:32 am

Magi has a review I believe, I showed it to my dad. Also who do I talk to if I want to write up a review
LastLfan

Postby Midori » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 am

Our review system has two steps. You can skip step 1 if somebody else has already done it.

1. Submit a suggestion for a title. Anybody can do this, if they provide a description, link to more info, and an age rating (e.g. PG or 15+ or whatever). Submitting new titles requires moderator approval. You don't need to do this if the title is already in our database. But if it isn't, it would help everyone out if you could be the one to submit it!

2. Review a title. You can give it an overall rating, and optionally ratings in all the areas of objectionable content, and optionally a text review as well. You do not need moderator approval to do this.

Also, just because somebody else has already written a review doesn't mean you can't write your own. It's always good to have multiple opinions!

(Years ago we had an old review system where all reviews required moderator approval and there was only one per title, so if you see any old posts on this site talking about the review system, please keep that in mind.)
Midori

Postby skreyola » Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Anyone knowe anything about the show that recently appeared on Crunchyroll, Dallos?
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:05 pm

There should be a Tokyo Mew Mew review area... :>
Just gonna stick a couple favorite quotes here.

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

"I would rather die as Blues than live forever as someone else." -Proto Man

Weird, they seem to be about dying. XD
NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:33 pm

NekoNinja16 wrote:There should be a Tokyo Mew Mew review area... :>

At least two Tokyo Mew Mew titles have been reviewed. Check the reviews area. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 am

You mean the manga section? I meant the anime, but I'll go check again. ^^;

"You can die at anytime. But living takes true courage. I'm living too, that I am. To repent for all the lives I took." -Kenshin Himura

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Oh, are those manga? I did a search. It doesn't seem to keep them apart (or label them clearly) when you search.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:45 am

Yeah... ^^

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:02 pm

@NekoNinja: Oh. Sorry.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby NekoNinja16 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:08 pm

@skreyola: It's cool. :3 We could also use a spot for MegaMan NT Warrior/Rockman.EXE, I'm not sure how clean the sub is. There's already a page for it's manga tho.

NekoNinja16

Postby skreyola » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Could someone tell me about the content in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex ?
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Mullet Death » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:59 pm

Robotics;Notes looks cute, and I don't exactly have a bunch of mech anime on my shelf, so I was thinking about it. What's the content like? Anything bleak, nihilistic, depressing? Heavy fan service anywhere?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby skreyola » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Robotics;Notes looks cute, and I don't exactly have a bunch of mech anime on my shelf, so I was thinking about it. What's the content like? Anything bleak, nihilistic, depressing? Heavy fan service anywhere?

It's a pretty good show. Not exactly a mecha show... more of a school SoL with mecha themes... until near the end, when it takes a turn for Tom Clancy territory. It's been a while since I saw it, but from memory: Some bits are a little depressing, but the ending is somewhat hopeful. Fanservice? Not that I remember, but take that with a grain of salt for how long it's been since I watched it.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby EventualDay » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:00 pm

This is on my to-watch list but I don't know that much about it. Still, in the slim chance that I can be helpful and tell you something you didn't know:

>It's a derivative/spinoff of Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head. However, I think it's supposed to be generally more lighthearted than the other two (it's about high schoolers fighting to save their club from being disbanded, at least in part). Though the ending SPOILER: Highlight text to read: is a bit of a twist, it results in the villain being defeated and the main characters pretty happy. At least by the end, I don't think there's anything even a little nihilistic or depressing that hasn't been mostly fixed.

>I've also heard the series is fairly black-and-white--perhaps even to the point where the characters lack complexity--and fairly straightforward in its good vs. evil battles. So again, with the way this plays out, I don't think it's very bleak.

>It's described as having minimal fanservice and no overly-endowed female characters.

>However, if you're thinking about just buying it without having seen it first (like it isn't on Funimation or Crunchyroll), be warned that there are a few plot holes and some senseless technobabble that some people didn't like.
EventualDay

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:59 am

skreyola wrote: more of a school SoL with mecha themes... until near the end, when it takes a turn for Tom Clancy territory.

Well. Now I have to watch that. I think I saw a copy for sale somewhere recently ....wonder if it's still there...
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Rose Faerie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:14 pm

I didn't know where to post this, but I made mistakes in both my review suggestions for Yona of the Dawn and The Promised Neverland, and I can't fix it now that it's submitted. I forgot to put the release date for Yona of the Dawn (2014), and cite that my description for the Promised Neverland came from MAL.

Sorry if this is the wrong place. Just trying to clear up my mistakes. Sorry!
Rose Faerie

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 pm

That's fine. I have to sit down and look at the queue anyway. I'll try to get to it in the next few days.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rose Faerie » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:39 pm

Thank you so much!
Rose Faerie

Postby Rose Faerie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:25 pm

I added the first review of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. I feel so special.
Rose Faerie

Postby Rose Faerie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:26 pm

I also submitted title requests for the following titles:
-Demon Slayer
-Erased
-Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (the TV series)
-Fruits Basket (2019)
-Hunter x Hunter (2011)
-Kaguya-sama: Love is War
-My Hero Academia
-The Promised Neverland
-Toilet Bound Hanako-kun
-Yona of the Dawn

Once they're submitted in the system I have plans to review them.
Rose Faerie

Postby Rose Faerie » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:08 pm

My reviews for Yona of the Dawn, Demon Slayer, and Toilet Bound Hanako-kun are up. Enjoy. Hopefully my reviews weren't awful. I'm still figuring out this reviewing business.
Rose Faerie

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews