Review Requests

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Review Requests

Postby John_Smith » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:44 am

So, I watched Kure-nai, and was going to make a review of it, but the system just keeps giving me a "Access Revoked" message, similar to starseven. Clicking the 'log me on automatically each visit' box didn't appear to fix the problem. So, I'll just write a little here.

The worst in it is that a teenaged boy and a young girl's behinds are shown, both during a bath scene which might make viewers uncomfortable. Also, incest is implied, but never shown.
The violence is fairly tame; it's mostly brawling type fighting, with some blood.
John_Smith

Postby goldenspines » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:05 am

^^^^ Try adding the review now, John Smith. If you still can't, let me know, though.

I'm not sure what exactly is causing the block in reviewing rights, but I do have a way to fix it for individual members for the time being. (it's just tiresome XD)

But if you are having trouble adding reviews to the system, please let me know!
goldenspines

Postby John_Smith » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:36 pm

It works now; thanks!

On another note, I had no idea how thorough you mods are about making sure the reviews and descriptions are up to par!
John_Smith

Postby skreyola » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Thank you, John_Smith. I had decided not to watch it, because reviews other places made it sound worse than that (more vague about the nudity). Now, I probably will watch it eventually.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby GeneD » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 am

GeneD

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm

I want to watch Nichijou but I can't figure out what the age rating is for it(plus I just don't trust non-christian review websites).
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby skreyola » Sun May 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about the series, Is the Order a Rabbit?? Thank you.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby drill » Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 pm

skreyola wrote:Does anyone know anything about the series, Is the Order a Rabbit?? Thank you.

Yes, what do you want to know about it?
drill

Postby skreyola » Mon May 12, 2014 7:51 pm

drill wrote:
skreyola wrote:Does anyone know anything about the series, Is the Order a Rabbit?? Thank you.

Ah, yes, I guess that would help. The main things that bother me content-wise are fanservice and blasphemy. In the narrowest sense, witchcraft also bothers me. How does the show fare on those grounds?
Thank you for the quick response, by the way. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby drill » Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 pm

skreyola wrote:
drill wrote:

Ah, yes, I guess that would help. The main things that bother me content-wise are fanservice and blasphemy. In the narrowest sense, witchcraft also bothers me. How does the show fare on those grounds?

There's some fanservice in the first episode, but there really isn't any past that. As for blasphemy, I don't even know why you listed this, there is no witchcraft of any sort, its just your normal moe slice of life anime. Since you have seen it, think of Girls und Panzer with the setting in a cafe, and instead of talking about tanks they talk about coffee.
drill

Postby skreyola » Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 pm

drill wrote:
skreyola wrote:Does anyone know anything about the series, Is the Order a Rabbit?? Thank you
...The main things that bother me content-wise are fanservice and blasphemy. In the narrowest sense, witchcraft also bothers me. How does the show fare on those grounds?

There's some fanservice in the first episode, but there really isn't any past that. As for blasphemy, I don't even know why you listed this, there is no witchcraft of any sort, its just your normal moe slice of life anime. Since you have seen it, think of Girls und Panzer with the setting in a cafe, and instead of talking about tanks they talk about coffee.

I list blasphemy because it's the only kind of language I'm particularly sensitive to, and I was explaining my content sensitivities. I didn't think witchcraft would come up, but one never can tell. :)
Thank you for your responses and information.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby dragonzatch » Fri May 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Can anyone give me a quick review of the Gangsta manga? I was going to order it off Amazon but then saw it was rated M; none of the reviews mention there being highly explicit content but just to be on the safe side, does it have a lot of sex/nudity, gruesome violence, language, etc?
Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/dragonzatch
dragonzatch

Postby Kilvakar » Wed May 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Has anyone seen the Sister Princess anime? My younger sister wanted to rent some of the DVDs from our local library, and it looks generally sweet and innocent, but is there anything I should be wary of? Most reviews I've seen say it's a typical "slice of life" anime, but some say there are suggestions of incest?
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby dragonzatch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 am

Kilvakar wrote:Has anyone seen the Sister Princess anime? My younger sister wanted to rent some of the DVDs from our local library, and it looks generally sweet and innocent, but is there anything I should be wary of? Most reviews I've seen say it's a typical "slice of life" anime, but some say there are suggestions of incest?

The main plot line has a guy surrounded by beautiful girls who all turn out to be his little sisters. So yes, there are suggestions of incest.

But it's about as clean as an incest show comes. No sex, no violence, no language that I remember.
Don't you think that it's boring how people talk?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/dragonzatch
dragonzatch

Postby GeneD » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 pm

Finally got around to writing up some more content reviews. I'll probably be adding more over the next while (and spamming up this thread).

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Psycho-Pass
Samurai Flamenco
Tsuritama
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Cat96 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Natsume's Book of Friends seasons 3-4.

I had noticed that the age rating goes from 10+ to PG-13 after the first season, and I'm just curious as to what kind of content made them up the rating (even by a little). Should I expect the same kind of content during the rest of the seasons? Is there anything that I should be warned about?
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby MangaRocks! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Cat96 wrote:Natsume's Book of Friends seasons 3-4.

I had noticed that the age rating goes from 10+ to PG-13 after the first season, and I'm just curious as to what kind of content made them up the rating (even by a little). Should I expect the same kind of content during the rest of the seasons? Is there anything that I should be warned about?

Hmm... well, to be honest, I didn't even notice a difference when I was marathoning it; about the only thing I'm recalling ATM that it might be for is just a bit of blood in one of the stories. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Cat96 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:24 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:

Hmm... well, to be honest, I didn't even notice a difference when I was marathoning it; about the only thing I'm recalling ATM that it might be for is just a bit of blood in one of the stories. :)

Thanks! I'm getting closer to finishing season 1, so this is really helpful.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby GeneD » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:45 am

I've only seen the first two seasons and didn't really see any significant difference in content. I would chalk the rating difference up to the personal opinion of the members who submitted the titles to our system. NIS America's site gives all 4 seasons a 13+ rating and note at the time of it's review, the physical S1 release wasn't out yet.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby GeneD » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:21 pm

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:08 am

okay so, I just found out about this anime called sayonara zetsubou sensei(or goodbye, mr. despair) and I want to know if it's clean... I did watch the opening theme and it made it look like not a good show, but I read a description for it and it sounds hilarious. I really want to watch it but I just don't know if it's clean... Has anyone watched this show and can tell me if its okay?

P.S. I'm NOT okay with gay/lesbian relationships or sex(comments or references are okay as long as they're to a minimum)
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby scribbledreamer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Could anyone expand on the content in ef: A Tale of Memories/Melodies? (Mostly Melodies) It looks like a really good story, but from other things I've heard, I'm a little wary of the content. I have found the review for A Tale of Memories on this site, and while it looks like it has some sexual content - which is what I'm most worried about - the review says it makes a point about human character. I'm more likely to watch something that doesn't portray it as good then a show that throws it in there just for the sake of fanservice or whatever. Before I start the show, however, I'd appreciate any more details before I get wrapped up in the story. (And I've heard something about a nude portrait scene...or something...in Melodies. True or false?)
scribbledreamer

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:54 am

scribbledreamer wrote:Could anyone expand on the content in ef: A Tale of Memories/Melodies? (Mostly Melodies) It looks like a really good story, but from other things I've heard, I'm a little wary of the content. I have found the review for A Tale of Memories on this site, and while it looks like it has some sexual content - which is what I'm most worried about - the review says it makes a point about human character. I'm more likely to watch something that doesn't portray it as good then a show that throws it in there just for the sake of fanservice or whatever. Before I start the show, however, I'd appreciate any more details before I get wrapped up in the story. (And I've heard something about a nude portrait scene...or something...in Melodies. True or false?)

IIRC, there is only one several-second shot of (upper female) detailed nudity; any other nudity (even including the portrait scene, oddly enough, LOL) is non-detailed/Barbie-doll. As for the sexual stuff: While in Memories it's not necessarily portrayed as inherently negative, it's also not necessarily portrayed as positive, either-- more than once it's more out of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: desperation/emotional issues than anything (again, IIRC). Also, there's a lot less of it in the sequel Melodies, and what there is of it *there* is pretty definitely shown as not great at all.

Hope that helps! :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Cat96 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:41 pm

I have a question about Gosick: How bad is the theology content? One site said it had occult stuff in it (and it was put as one of the show's genres) while most others didn't even mention it. I would rather not see occult stuff in an anime, so I'd like to know how bad it gets. I saw on one of this site's reviews that the group wasn't really with the occult, and the others didn't even mention it. I just hope it isn't too bad. I really think I'll like this anime.

Also, does anybody know where I can watch it legally for if I do decide I want to watch it?
Cat96

Postby skreyola » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Cat96 wrote:I have a question about Gosick:
Also, does anybody know where I can watch it legally for if I do decide I want to watch it?

Not sure about the content, as I haven't seen the show, but some people tag a show "occult" when it's really just "supernatural"...
Wish I knew, because I've been considering watching it, myself. The thing that has given me hesitation is the horror vibe I get from what little I've seen about it.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby GeneD » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 am

@Cat96 and skreyola

A lot of the mysteries revolve around various "ghost stories" or supernatural occurrences but as far as I remember all of them have logical explanations or are specifically set up by someone who wants to use the "story" as a cover for something else (usually a criminal act, think Scooby-Doo style). I think the only thing presented without a rational/real-world explanation is an oracle/fortune teller person who appears briefly in one episode.
Yes, there is a government organisation called the Ministry of the Occult (the protagonists are not a part of this group), but they're never seen doing anything particularly occult-ish, except the circle mentioned in Vii's review. I don't remember that said circle actually really does anything though.

Personally I enjoyed it a lot and wouldn't really classify it as horror (and definitely not as occult), but yeah some of the "ghost stories" and situations the characters find themselves in can be frightening. It's mostly murder mystery after all.

As for watching it legally, might be hard to do. Madman Entertainment (Australian distributor) has a sub-only DVD release, but it isn't streaming legally anywhere any more. Cruchyroll had it until the end of August this year but then took it and a bunch of other titles down, most likely due to licenses expiring. I haven't seen any news on it being picked up again for streaming anywhere.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby skreyola » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Rats. I should have watched it when I had the chance. I did see it on CR but just didn't get around to it.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Cat96 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

skreyola wrote:Rats. I should have watched it when I had the chance. I did see it on CR but just didn't get around to it.

I haven't even started using CR until recently, I've been using hulu. Hopefully Funimation or some other company can pick it up when the license expires, if it works like that.
Cat96

Postby skreyola » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Can anyone tell me about the content of *deep breath* My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy?
Anime List
skreyola

Postby artisticDreamer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:15 am

Can somebody do a review for Serial Experiments Lain?
artisticDreamer

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews