Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:28 pm

wow, i haven't visited this thread for awhile. okay, Scarecrow, i third Samurai Champloo to you. you might also want to consider Monster and Fullmetal Alchemist.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:45 pm

Looks like Samurai Champloo is a must check out. Funny I never heard of it till just recently. Is it relatively new? I've been hearing a lot about it lately.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Sheol777 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:57 am

jon_jinn wrote:you might also want to THINK about trying Berserk. be aware, there's quite a bit of nudity and sexual content (not as much as the manga) and also lots of gore and blood. though the ending really kills the series, it's an excellent anime.

Do NOT show Berserk, you will be suspended from school. As much as I like it, there is much that is questionable about it, especially for school.

Azumanga Daioh would be a perfet fit. It is a comedy that is actually funny to americans as well as the japanese. It is about a group of girls at school, and trust me, it isn't shojo, so the guys will like it too.

Scarecrow wrote:Looks like Samurai Champloo is a must check out. Funny I never heard of it till just recently. Is it relatively new? I've been hearing a lot about it lately.

Samurai Champloo is from 2004, and is a fantastic anime with a character driven plot. Shinichiro Watanabe was also responsible for Cowboy Bebop. Champloo has it all, character, plot, comedy, swordplay, yakuza and all done in the edo period of japan. As odd as it sounds, it has a hip hop overtone that is very well done. But don't let that drive you away. I am not a hip hop fan, but I enjoyed it none the less.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Sheol777 wrote:Do NOT show Berserk, you will be suspended from school. As much as I like it, there is much that is questionable about it, especially for school.

the Berserk recommendation was for Mononoke.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:44 am

I need a new show. Definitely. I'm watching Pani Poni Dash but it takes TWO DARNED MONTHS 4 each vol to come out!! (And there are 4 left.) The next 1's coming tomorrow but I'll have to wait until June for the 4th. So I need something that I can watch until that time.
Oh FYI it can't be over TV-14 with some exceptions; i.e. Lain and Samurai Champloo are OK, while shows like Lady Death, any Go Nagai title, Hellsing, Berserk, Crying Freeman are objectionable.

To give u a taste of what I like/hate I've got a list.

What I like:

Azumanga Daioh
Yotsuba&!
Bobobo-Bobobobo
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Pani Poni Dash
Excel Saga
Area 88 TV/OVA
Aozora Shojotai (801 T.T.S. Airbats)
Robot Carnival
GitS2: Innocence
GitS Standalone Complex
Uncut Naruto and One Piece
Fruits Basket
Kodocha
Death Note
Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and The Second Raid
Steamboy

What I hate:

Le Chevalier D'Eon (it's pace is too slow)
The original Ghost In The Shell (the persistent nudity bothered me but the movie was still awesome)
The cut Naruto and One Piece (you may probably know why! :brow: )

I'm fine with anything TV-14/15+/16+ and under that.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Jih » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:06 pm

You might like FLCL, possibly Escaflowne (series) or Evangelion. Have you watched any Gundam? I'm sure you can find something in the Gundam universe you like. Wolf's Rain isn't bad but it may be too slow for you. Texhnolyze might be stretching your content system. Ghost Stories might be fun as well along with Full Metal Panic maybe. Or better yet, spend one whole day downloading torrents of stuff and seeing if you like it. Good luck!
Jih

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:55 pm

ilikegir33, you could try Hunter x Hunter and Getbackers.

i might also add: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Paranoia Agent, and Monster; however, these three titles might be going over your limit...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm fine with Haruhi. That's not too objectionable, but Paranoia Agent is. I saw an ep on Adult Swim. I thought it was violent. Also I've seen FLCL and Evangelion. I really like 'em.

Thanks 4 the recommendations. I'll try Getbackers, Ghost Stories and Escaflowne. I'll also try out Haruhi. I found a good show in Gundam called G Gundam. It looks interesting. What's it about? I wanna know.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Jih » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:22 pm

lol, G Gundam is one of the series that Gundam fans try to erase from memory. It's DBZ with robots...if you like it, it's cool but Otaku hate the show. Personally I don't hate it, it's a nice show to vegge out to (this is why it was on Toonami) but it's quite weak on thought provokement.
Jih

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Paranoia Agent is less violent than almost half of the titles that you mentioned above.
ilikegir33 wrote:What I like:

Azumanga Daioh
Yotsuba&!
Bobobo-Bobobobo
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Pani Poni Dash
Excel Saga
Area 88 TV/OVA
Aozora Shojotai (801 T.T.S. Airbats)
Robot Carnival
GitS2: Innocence
GitS Standalone Complex
Uncut Naruto and One Piece
Fruits Basket
Kodocha
Death Note
Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, and The Second Raid
Steamboy

However, it deals with many adult themes and is a very confusing and complex anime. If you are willing to watch it several times through and go through the frustrations of trying to interpret it, you will definitely be rewarded.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ilikegir33 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:05 pm

So that's why it's 16+...

I'll see Paranoia Agent. I mean, it's only got mature themes and some violence, right? :grin:

Oh yeah. I've never seen GitS Stand Alone Complex 2nd GiG. Is it more violent than the original SAC?

I'll check out G-Gundam. Thank you!
ilikegir33

Postby Sheol777 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:58 pm

KBMaster wrote:Basically I want something with a compelling story line and nothing outrageous as far as objectionable content goes(i.e. Cowboy Bebop is too much). Thanks for the suggestions!

For you I would recommend Beck. It is a fantastic real to life story of how a band forms. It has great characters and is based in reality. I mean it is so real to life that I know some bads that went through some things that happened in the anime. I really didn't think it was for me....until I actually watched it. However, there are a few small parts where they run into "Americans" and they swear, but other then that a first rate show.

ilikegir33 wrote:To give u a taste of what I like/hate I've got a list.

What I like:

Azumanga Daioh
Yotsuba&!
Bobobo-Bobobobo
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

These are comedies. I highly recommend Cromartie High School. No objectional content and the only violence is slapstick variety.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Sheol777 wrote:These are comedies. I highly recommend Cromartie High School. No objectional content and the only violence is slapstick variety.

I remember a fair bit of swearing though. I wasn't bothered by it, but it bares mentioning for those who might.
Fish and Chips

Postby crazypackersfan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi, this is my first post... I'm looking for some sort of anime to watch, mainly for the summer. I'd probably be most interested in a show with romance and some sort of adventure/action. I'm not exactly the most experienced anime watcher in the world... these are the only ones I've ever really gotten into...

Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyo (specifically Tenchi Universe)
Pokemon
Cardcaptor Sakura

These are probably all ancient by now. If there's a show that sort of matches my description that's currently airing on American TV (probably Cartoon Network), then that would be best. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.
crazypackersfan

Postby Aleolus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:35 pm

I don't know what's airing now, but I would reccomend Slayers and Gatekeepers, myself. If you can find them.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:17 pm

welcome to CAA crazypackersfan. anyways, i don't think this is airing on TV (i don't really watch anime on TV) but you could try Vision of Escaflowne.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Aleolus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:25 pm

jon_jinn wrote:welcome to CAA crazypackersfan. anyways, i don't think this is airing on TV (i don't really watch anime on TV) but you could try Vision of Escaflowne.

Yeah, not many anime fans I know watch more than one or two animes on TV, they mostly go and get their anime either in stores or online.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby ilikegir33 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:53 pm

crazypackersfan, i second your welcome. Not that many anime air on TV but if you find it I recommend Angelic Layer and Kaleido Star. Both are currently on the Anime Network, but there's an on-demand version that's on a lot of cable stations, mostly Time Warner (what I've got) and Comcast. TW is free but Comcast has a charge. Or you could try looking on Youtube for fansubs or download a bunch of torrents to see what you like. Good luck finding a show you like!
ilikegir33

Postby AsianBlossom » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:00 pm

I third the welcome and I second Kaleido Star and Angelic Layer! :)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Jih » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm

crazypackersfan wrote:Hi, this is my first post... I'm looking for some sort of anime to watch, mainly for the summer. I'd probably be most interested in a show with romance and some sort of adventure/action. I'm not exactly the most experienced anime watcher in the world... these are the only ones I've ever really gotten into...

Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyo (specifically Tenchi Universe)
Pokemon
Cardcaptor Sakura

These are probably all ancient by now. If there's a show that sort of matches my description that's currently airing on American TV (probably Cartoon Network), then that would be best. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

As far as anime is concerned Cartoon Network shows One Piece, Naruto, Trinity Blood and a few others that I can't remember. I would second Escaflowne with consideration to the shows you listed. Did you watch the Tenchi OVA or the edited Cartoon Network version?
Jih

Postby ich1990 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:51 pm

OK here is the deal. I got a friend started in anime. Now She is trying to find an anime that She and her mom could watch together. Her mom is already mildy biased against anime due to a lack of experience with it (she says it all looks like a bunch of soap operas, she came to this conclusion after watching part of an episode of bleach?). Anyways, she says she would really like to be involved in this part of her daughters life but can't "get into" a series. I personally have seen a very limited amount of anime, so I can't really recommend a series.

One of the mom's favorite shows is CSI, and she likes the whodunit atmosphere of mystery movies. Preferably it would be a show with limited swearing (used when "appropriate" so to speak), and as little sex/nudity/fanservice as possible. It would be nice if the violence/gore/death was moderate or lower (comparable to CSI anyways) also.

If someone could suggest such a series or movie, it would be very helpful in clearing up some misconceptions and biases, as well as make a new convert to the colorful world of japanese art.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Sheol777 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 am

ich1990 wrote:OK here is the deal. I got a friend started in anime. Now She is trying to find an anime that She and her mom could watch together. Her mom is already mildy biased against anime due to a lack of experience with it (she says it all looks like a bunch of soap operas, she came to this conclusion after watching part of an episode of bleach?). Anyways, she says she would really like to be involved in this part of her daughters life but can't "get into" a series. I personally have seen a very limited amount of anime, so I can't really recommend a series.

One of the mom's favorite shows is CSI, and she likes the whodunit atmosphere of mystery movies. Preferably it would be a show with limited swearing (used when "appropriate" so to speak), and as little sex/nudity/fanservice as possible. It would be nice if the violence/gore/death was moderate or lower (comparable to CSI anyways) also.

If someone could suggest such a series or movie, it would be very helpful in clearing up some misconceptions and biases, as well as make a new convert to the colorful world of japanese art.

CSI huh? Try Death Note

For general anime that seems accepted by many people. Look at Studio Ghibli. Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away. They are movies and not series.
Sheol777

Postby Kisa » Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 am

ich1990 wrote:OK here is the deal. I got a friend started in anime. Now She is trying to find an anime that She and her mom could watch together. Her mom is already mildy biased against anime due to a lack of experience with it (she says it all looks like a bunch of soap operas, she came to this conclusion after watching part of an episode of bleach?). Anyways, she says she would really like to be involved in this part of her daughters life but can't "get into" a series. I personally have seen a very limited amount of anime, so I can't really recommend a series.

How old is your friend and is magic ok?
If magic is ok, Cardcaptor Sakura (Carcdcaptors in US) is a good cute anime with lotsa Jpanese culture in it. Also Fruits Basket is an all round good choice with story and good themes.
:thumb:
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby KBMaster » Tue May 15, 2007 9:53 am

Witch Hunter Robin sounds like a good choice for your friend's mom.
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Tue May 15, 2007 4:12 pm

i second Witch Hunter Robin. two other possible suggestions are Monster, and Paranoia Agent. however, these two latter series are more mature and may contain content that your friends mother might find objectionable.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ich1990 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys! My friend is 18 years old. As for magic, im not sure exactly were their family stands on that issue. As for your suggestions:

Cardcaptor Sakura may be too animeish/cutesy/they-have-way-too-big-eyes to get someone unfamiliar with the japanese culture started in. Although I have only seen a few episodes of Fruits Basket, it seems to be focused mostly on relational problems. That may not be the best to start in either. Princess Mononoke might be a tad violent, but it is a possibility. I know nothing about Spirited Away, so I will research that. I checked out the reviews on this site for Paranioa Agent and Monster. They look to be too "mature" for the intended audience. As for the other two:

I have read up to chapter 60 in Death Note, but haven't seen any of the anime. Does it follow the same basic plotline as the manga? If so, it sounds like it would be great starter show. Also, I just looked up Witch Hunter Robin, and it looks like an excelent anime. I will have to find someplace were I can preview it before I buy though.

Again thanks alot for those suggestions.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Death Note? If you've read the Manga, you've already seen the Anime.

Yeah, that's right.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Well, if she likes CSI and mystery shows, then Case Closed is what I would recommend actually.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ich1990 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Well it is official, Witch Hunter Robin is awesome! I plan on buying it soon.

Death Note seems to be another excelent suggestion. However, I would like to buy it all in one box set if possible. Has the series been completed in English Dub format?

I haven't heard of Case Closed, ill research that.

Thanks again. (Although I have to read Fish and Chips' posts quickly, or else ill be sucked in by his avatar.)
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 16, 2007 8:17 pm

ich1990 wrote:Death Note seems to be another excelent suggestion. However, I would like to buy it all in one box set if possible. Has the series been completed in English Dub format?

The Anime hasn't even been released state-side, not on television or DVD.
ich1990 wrote:Thanks again. (Although I have to read Fish and Chips' posts quickly, or else ill be sucked in by his avatar.)

Too late! You lose!
Fish and Chips

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews