Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby MangaRocks! » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:51 am

Thunderscream872 wrote:Psycho Pass is incredibly good. There is also a movie and then a second season. I haven't seen either of them yet, but I definitely plan on checking those out.

...I don't know about the movie yet, but as for S2, please don't, for your own sake. While yes, S1 was indeed excellent, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a dark crime thriller... S2, on the other hand, was pretty much just a steaming pile-- absolutely *terrible* writing/'characterization,' bad direction, I can't even describe how bad it was. Unless you want to see how *not* to write well, I'd recommend staying as far away from S2 as is humanly possible.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:02 pm

MangaRocks! wrote:...I don't know about the movie yet, but as for S2, please don't, for your own sake. While yes, S1 was indeed excellent, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a dark crime thriller... S2, on the other hand, was pretty much just a steaming pile-- absolutely *terrible* writing/'characterization,' bad direction, I can't even describe how bad it was. Unless you want to see how *not* to write well, I'd recommend staying as far away from S2 as is humanly possible.

Thanks for the heads-up, to be honest, I was actually kind of upset when I found out they were doing a movie and a second season cause I was pretty happy with the way things ended off in season 1. I haven't read any reviews of the second season, perhaps I should do some more research before watching it.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:00 am

skreyola wrote:I'm still looking for something new to watch.
Main things are little or no fanservice, and no taking of the Lord's name in vain (other profanity doesn't bother me, but that just pulls me right out of the story). You can see a list of things I've watched and liked here. Although I watch a fair amount of SoL, recommendations don't need to favor them. I like lots of other types of shows. :)
Thanks.

I think these recommendations are pretty clean, but truthfully I can't say I remember 100% accurately, especially about the profanity.

Haikyuu!!: Yes this is a personal favourite of mine so I admit I'm biased, but I'm recommending it on the basis that you liked Ookiku Furikabutte, which I haven't seen but I've heard that they are comparable. (Crunchyroll has it.)

Mushishi: I don't see the specials and second season on your list, but since you liked the original work I highly recommend the rest. You can basically expect a very faithful, seamless continuation of the show. (The second season and 2 of 3 specials are on Crunchyroll.)

Time of Eve: There's a bit of fan-service mostly surrounding a lady wearing a low cut dress, but it's pretty minor (though she wears the dress throughout). It's only 6 episodes and you have to be a paying Crunchyroll member to watch from ep 2 onward, but if you're interested and don't have a subscription, I have Crunchyroll guestpasses so pm me or whatever if you ever need one. The story is a slow-paced, quiet, but nevertheless moving and thought-provoking, investigation into the 3 Robot laws and robot-human interactions, in a society where robots are only seen as servants. It centres on a cafe where the rules permits robots to act as humans, so no one can be sure who are the humans and who are not.

Hyouka: Not gonna say much here, it's pretty popular on CAA so you might have seen it mentioned before. A school-life mystery show, it has amazing animation and great characters and the mysteries are interesting without being very over the top. Unfortunately it's not licensed.

Tsuritama: Shameless personal favourite plug. My "joke" plot description is: A boy suffering from social anxiety must learn how to fish to save the world from dancing. It's "joke" because that kinda is the plot, which is as quirky as it sounds, but also has fun characters and real development for the central 4. It's set near the ocean, so people are often seen in swimming attire, and one girl wears a bikini top throughout, but I don't remember the "camera" specifically focusing on that so I don't really consider it fan-service. (On Crunchyroll)

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun/My Little Monster: This isn't a praticularly strong rec, but I saw some rom-coms on your list. I don't remember much about the objectionable content although there is some "fan-service" concerns in the review in our database, one of them mine. (You can find reviews for some of my other recs in our database too.) (On Crunchyroll)
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby skreyola » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll check into those.
I had tried Tsuritama before, but I didn't make it past the first episode. I think I didn't understand the metaphor they used for social anxiety, when I tried it before, so it just seemed exceptionally weird. Maybe it'll seem less so, now, having watched Shigastu wa Kimi no Uso and RDG, and having seen the social anxiety mentioned a couple of times.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:23 am

If you do try Tsuritama again and the metaphor with the water still bothers you, it only lasts about 2 or 3 episodes and only happens a few times overall, so stick through it if you can. Unless you mean the thing with Yuki's face when he freaks out? That happens a bit more, but also eventually fades away if I remember right.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby skreyola » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Turns out, the water metaphor (which is what I meant) hadn't bothered me. It was the water gun and the aliens. I may give it another shot after this season, but I don't know. Thanks for the recommendation, anyway.
I'm planning to give some of your other recommendations a go, too, once I find time.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby TheCynicalIdealist » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:28 am

MangaRocks! wrote:
Thunderscream872 wrote:Psycho Pass is incredibly good. There is also a movie and then a second season. I haven't seen either of them yet, but I definitely plan on checking those out.

...I don't know about the movie yet, but as for S2, please don't, for your own sake. While yes, S1 was indeed excellent, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a dark crime thriller... S2, on the other hand, was pretty much just a steaming pile-- absolutely *terrible* writing/'characterization,' bad direction, I can't even describe how bad it was. Unless you want to see how *not* to write well, I'd recommend staying as far away from S2 as is humanly possible.

I binged watched S1 in a week and it was good, but your right about S2 thankfully I gave up after 2 episodes and spared myself disappointment.
TheCynicalIdealist

Postby TheCynicalIdealist » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:06 pm

I've hit another dry spell it seems. I watched Wolf Children last night and I would recommend it to anybody, beware the "feels". After sitting through Ghost in The Shell 2: Innocence I am burnt out on psychological thrillers.
TheCynicalIdealist

Postby Zeke365 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

I have just finished dog days and all it season and I would like to find similar anime series (something similar to the first season) with that sense of adventure

I currently watching one piece, and Pokemon and digimon are out of the question to.

or

comedies similar to Love Lab and Lucky Star really like the humor in both shows/
Zeke365

Postby carlton » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Sword Art Online is my favorite anime! Highly recommend it!
carlton

Postby neighborhoodotaku » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Does Dog Days have that much fan service in it? I'm actually looking for new anime too watch for my blog, and I don't want something saturated in unnecessary sexual content. For anime recommendations that I would personally suggest that are my personal favorites and demonstrate Christian themes are:

1). Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

2). Durarara!!

3). Anohana

4). Hunter X Hunter 2011

I hope that you find something among these selections of mine that are to your liking!
“A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But once you have recovered it and made it your own... You will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart."
-Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist
neighborhoodotaku

Postby EventualDay » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm

To TheCynicalIdealist and Zeke365 - did you two find new series to start, or were you still looking for recommendations?
EventualDay

Postby skreyola » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Zeke: If you liked LoveLab, you might like School Rumble.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Zeke365 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:26 pm

looking for recommendations
Zeke365

Postby EventualDay » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Hm... I like to recommend Acchi Kocchi if you like slice of life comedies. Wakaba*Girl and Non Non Biyori are also probably good choices.

For adventure, maybe you would like Seven Deadly Sins aka Nanatsu no Taizai. I think there's a bit of fanservice in this though and some dirty jokes, so I'm not sure if you're okay with that.
EventualDay

Postby TheCynicalIdealist » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 pm

EventualDay wrote:To TheCynicalIdealist and Zeke365 - did you two find new series to start, or were you still looking for recommendations?

No, honestly I've been kinda burnt out in general when it comes to life :stressed: . Not that watching anime and my overall mood are connected but since last fall(Oct-Nov) things have been pretty "stagnant" for me in life. I'll elaborate further but this isn't the proper thread for my story, lets just say Vash is my avatar for a reason.
Anyway, the thing I'm looking for right now in anime is a show that has a good solid ending. Not many good anime seem to have this and either never end or are on permanent hiatus(Black Lagoon).
TheCynicalIdealist

Postby Zeke365 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:39 am

I have seen Acchi Kocchi and Non Non Biyori (repeat to) I will have to check out Wakaba*Girl

I m okay with to little to no fanservice (dogs days season 2 and 3 went overboard with it. that why I wanted something similar to season 1 adventure it was both nostalgic and interesting) that and sense of being brought to a new world where tech does not exist and you learn about that world or watching gets you lost in in. something like that.

I was looking for more recommendations that all.

If you could be a little more clear on what type of anime your looking for Cyaniclledealist like if your looking for action, adventure, slice of life, or another genre so I know what to recommenced to you since I do have list, yes I see your looking for good ending or complete ones.
Zeke365

Postby EventualDay » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:16 am

TheCynicalIdealist wrote:No, honestly I've been kinda burnt out in general when it comes to life :stressed: . Not that watching anime and my overall mood are connected but since last fall(Oct-Nov) things have been pretty "stagnant" for me in life. I'll elaborate further but this isn't the proper thread for my story, lets just say Vash is my avatar for a reason.
Anyway, the thing I'm looking for right now in anime is a show that has a good solid ending. Not many good anime seem to have this and either never end or are on permanent hiatus(Black Lagoon).

I'm sorry you've been burnt out :( I've been really overwhelmed myself, lately... well, if you would like me to pray for anything, feel free to PM me.

And as far as anime suggestions, I watch a lot of shorter shows so I'm not sure if you'll like my suggestions, but. You could try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann though it has a little bit of fanservice in it. Princess Tutu has a solid ending but you may have seen it already (and it takes 5-10 episodes to really get into). Also, you should check out this list of the Top 30 Greatest Anime Series ever made. I haven't seen all of them but I'm assuming most of the stuff that makes the list doesn't suddenly tank at the end.

Zeke365 wrote:I have seen Acchi Kocchi and Non Non Biyori (repeat to) I will have to check out Wakaba*Girl ...

Okay so I didn't give very good suggestions then haha. As far as shows similar to Dog Days, I know there are a lot of anime about being thrown into another world, but to be honest I haven't seen that many. Maybe:
Magic Knight Rayearth
MÄR
The Familiar of Zero
EventualDay

Postby JacobSmith89 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:31 am

I am currently looking for either a romance similar to Golden Time, a thriller similar to Steins;Gate, or something similar to Gunslinger Girl and Noir. I would prefer there to be little to no sexual content, as well as little to no language.
Thank you! :)
Isaiah 41:10: "Fear thou not, for I am with thee; be not dismayed, for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness."
"Fake people have an image to maintain, real people just don't care." -Hachiman Hikigaya
JacobSmith89

Postby TheCynicalIdealist » Mon May 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Found something, Desert Punk
TheCynicalIdealist

Postby Mouse2010 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am

Anyone have recommendations for a suspenseful action or thriller anime? I am looking for the kind of show that makes you want to keep watching to see what happens next. Examples of some we've liked in the past: Monster, Attack on Titan , Death Note, the first season of Sword Art Online, the first season of Code Geass. As you can see, some of these are action, some are more like horror or mystery. Either category is great. We will tolerate a fairly high level of gore and fanservice if the anime isn't stupid.
Mouse2010

Postby Zeldafan2 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 pm

Mouse2010 wrote:Anyone have recommendations for a suspenseful action or thriller anime? I am looking for the kind of show that makes you want to keep watching to see what happens next. Examples of some we've liked in the past: Monster, Attack on Titan , Death Note, the first season of Sword Art Online, the first season of Code Geass. As you can see, some of these are action, some are more like horror or mystery. Either category is great. We will tolerate a fairly high level of gore and fanservice if the anime isn't stupid.

Provided you haven't seen it, I'd say Steins;Gate is right up your alley: https://www.amazon.com/Steins-Gate-Comp ... B00KU3Y5CG

It's a sci-fi thriller, staring a cast of quirky otaku and a straight woman science prodigy who inadvertently stumble upon time travel. Not only are the characters really funny, but a lot of drama is milked out of the consequences one has to deal with when callously using something like that. The first half (give or take) is slow-paced, but once the plot gets going, it gets going.

I'd also suggest Psycho-Pass. https://www.amazon.com/Psycho-Pass-Part ... sycho+Pass

It's a sci-fi/urban thriller/cop show in which the government reduces crime by monitoring people's mental stability or "Psycho Pass". Not only does it contain memorable characters, but it has surprisingly insightful things to say about human nature and the concept of utilitarianism vs. individualism. Just... Don't watch the second season. They changed writers, and it resulted in a mess that was a total disgrace to the season preceding it. If you want a continuation, watch the movie which WAS still done by Gen Urobuchi.
Zeldafan2

Postby PlushieCandie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi there :)

Do any of you know any anime with more serious storylines/characters? I'm looking for something kinda Berserk-esque. Only without all the nudity and crap that Berserk had. I'm into action/fantasy/adventure anime, kinda like HxH style. Or animes that are like Monster, which have deep issues dealt with in them.
PlushieCandie

Postby LecktheTech » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm

PlushieCandie wrote:Hi there :)

Do any of you know any anime with more serious storylines/characters? I'm looking for something kinda Berserk-esque. Only without all the nudity and crap that Berserk had. I'm into action/fantasy/adventure anime, kinda like HxH style. Or animes that are like Monster, which have deep issues dealt with in them.

If you havn't already watched it, Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood. Other than that, I think that you might enjoy Stiens:Gate, although it is a time travel anime, not a fantasy. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works or Fate/Zero. I'd not really recomend the orginal Fate/Stay Night, but watching it makes Unlimited Blade Works waaayyyy more interesting.

The first season of Pyscho-Pass is mostly nudity free, except for a scene in one of the last episodes. I don't know about the second season yet. Psycho-Pass is a near future sci-fi, but is very serious.
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 pm

LecktheTech wrote:I don't know about the second season yet.

...Uh, what second season? There is no second season. (In my mind. :P )

In all seriousness, though, yes, S1 of Psycho-Pass is a great dystopian crime thriller (and thus, assuming you can handle the violent content, recommended); but S2 (which unfortunately switched writers) is outright *awful* in writing, directing, characterization, plot, and whatever else you can think of to name. Don't watch S2.
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby PlushieCandie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:07 am

LecktheTech wrote:

If you havn't already watched it, Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood. Other than that, I think that you might enjoy Stiens:Gate, although it is a time travel anime, not a fantasy. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works or Fate/Zero. I'd not really recomend the orginal Fate/Stay Night, but watching it makes Unlimited Blade Works waaayyyy more interesting.

The first season of Pyscho-Pass is mostly nudity free, except for a scene in one of the last episodes. I don't know about the second season yet. Psycho-Pass is a near future sci-fi, but is very serious.

I've aready watched pretty much all of those lol. Do you know any more? Sorry haha ^^;
PlushieCandie

Postby Rusty Claymore » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:42 am

PlushieCandie wrote:I've aready watched pretty much all of those lol. Do you know any more? Sorry haha ^^;

Have you tried: Chaika the Coffin Princess, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, Re;Zero Starting Life in Another World, Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles?
Depending upon what you classify as "Deep" issues, there are potentially a lot more. Erased and Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation are who-done-it psychological mystery types, and are both very good. I'd recommend ReLIFE, too. Although it's slice of life, it tackles some social and psychological issues.
Rusty Claymore

Postby LecktheTech » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:17 pm

PlushieCandie wrote:
LecktheTech wrote:

I've aready watched pretty much all of those lol. Do you know any more? Sorry haha ^^;

I was trying for fantasy anime, but I'm far from having watched a lot of anime.

I'd put a good word in for ERASED, or if you just want something interesting to watch(for the most part), try Girls Und Panzer. If you hanv't seen it, there is some fanservice(In the form of a bath house, although it's far from sexualized).
♪The sword is sharp, the spear is long.

The arrow swift, the gate is strong

The heart is bold, that looks on gold

The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.♪
LecktheTech

Postby PlushieCandie » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:51 pm

@RustyClaymore

I've tried Grimgar of fantasy and ash and Erased, but those other ones I haven't watched. Guess I'll give em a shot.
PlushieCandie

Anime Recommendations in 2019

Postby ShenValleyLewis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:57 am

This thread has been dormant for a few years, so I thought it would be worth getting it started again. After all, new shows are released every year. These are my favorite anime series (so far, I haven't watched many) and I'm looking for recommendations for similar shows.

Usagi Drop
Kids on the Slope
Non Non Biyori
Aria the Animation
Barakamon
Tsuritama (so far)
Orange (so far)

You get a pretty good idea of my preferences from this list, but in addition I'll say: no shows that are dark/cynical, no gory violence and no fanservice. Though I don't consider a display of skin necessarily to be fanservice; for example Aria the Animation episode 5 shows the characters wearing bathing suits to go swimming in the ocean, but there is a legitimate plot reason for it, and they're not depicted in a sexualized way, so it didn't bother me much. If it was an ongoing thing that would have been different. Finally, if the characters are older than high school I'd consider that a plus. Not that I'm opposed to watching high school dramas, as you can see from my list; but you don't see too many slice-of-life shows where the characters are adults, and since I'm a grown man myself, that's something I especially appreciate.

Thanks to everyone who participates!
ShenValleyLewis

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews