Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby skreyola » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Cat96 wrote:To be honest, the big reason why I don't watch Code Geass is because of the fanservice that I hear is in it in a couple of episodes. I seriously do want to watch it because I hear that the story is awesome, but I'm afraid of skipping the problematic episodes and then missing important content.

I'm not sure you could skip any of the CG episodes without missing important stuff, but I'm over a dozen episodes in and haven't noticed much (if any) fanservice. There's a scene where a character is naked in the shower, but it isn't done in a fanservice-y way.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby GeneD » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:13 am

Cat96 wrote:Also, is SAO2 better than SAO?

IMO no, I'm on the verge of dropping it.

As for recommendations I second (in the order I rate them) Tsuritama, Hyouka, Mushi-shi, Blast of Tempest, Eureka Seven.
I'll also add:
-Kids on the Slope: drama/coming of age story set in the 1960s about a trio of teenage jazz musicians. Two of the MC's are Christian, although this fact doesn't feature extensively in the story, it's portrayed with respect and grace. Available on Crunchyroll.
-Haikyuu!!: sports/shonen show about volleyball. I loved all the characters, the pacing is good and it's just plain fun to watch. Pretty clean from what I remember off the top of my head and is available on Crunchyroll.

Here's the Code Geass entry in our reviews database which you can check out for your fanservice concerns, if you haven't already.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sissy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 am

I just finished a rewatch of Ouran Highschool Host Club, and now I'm really in the mood for another anime along those lines. Can anyone suggest a series with good, well-rounded characters and strong friendship themes? (Preferably with minimal romance, or at least with romance taking a back seat to friendship.) I love the humor in Ouran, but that's not really necessary--I'm just in the mood to have emotions about fictional friends, if that makes sense. :)

--I remember watching the first season or so of Honey and Clover a few years back, and that was nice, though it seemed a bit slow.

--I tried the first couple episodes of Fruits Basket and could tell that the characters would have been really appealing if I'd been able to go farther, but the zodiac plot was too much for me. I don't have a very high tolerance for supernatural themes.

--Would prefer little to no fanservice, if possible? I have a younger brother who likes to share shows with me.

--I know anything that fits my preferences right now will probably be shoujo, since I'm looking more for emotional themes than epic plots, but epic plots WITH emotional themes wouldn't be bad either.

If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated. :)
Sissy

Location: Go three blocks that way and take a right. Can't miss it.

Postby drill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 am

@Sissy

Okay, so other people might be able to give better recs, but since no one has yet, ill take a stab at it.

Hyouka - Friendship/Mystery anime link to CAA review
K-On! - Friendship/Music anime link to CAA review
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Friendship/Comedy anime - No review as it just aired recently, but since I watched it, ill just tell you that there no fanservice in the entire anime, and its hilarious.
drill

Postby skreyola » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:47 am

That's a tough one.
I'd definitely say that Honey & Clover is worth watching all the way through (1.5 seasons (really two; it gets to a good ending, but the second one is short)). Your mention of epic plot with emotional themes made me think of Xam'd, Eureka Seven, and Last Exile. Can't remember any fanservice in those, apart from E7, but it's been a while since I watched them. There are some moments in E7 that might be considered fanservice, but on the whole, it's pretty clean. Just make sure you're watching the original, not the AU shows that came later.
I'll also second Gekkan Shoujo/Girls' Monthly Nozaki-kun - In spite of the romance plotline, it's hilarious.
You might also consider giving Fruits Basket another chance. I know the zodiac thing is a bit annoying, but it really isn't central to the plot. It's more like just the theme of their strange affliction, as though they turned into animals from the Narnia Chronicles, that is, characters from a work of fiction. Through the end of the anime, they really don't put much emphasis on the zodiac beyond its being a list of characters we know we're likely to meet. However, as always, let your own convictions be your guide. I'm not much for the occult in my fiction, either, but Furuba was the anime that got me into watching anime. It has a lot of great friendship-related messages in it, particularly Episodes 7 and 15, as well as the final episode. So, while I don't want to advise you to do something you feel is wrong, if you can see your way clear on this show, it has a lot of good in it.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Vii » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:14 pm

skreyola wrote:
Cat96 wrote:To be honest, the big reason why I don't watch Code Geass is because of the fanservice that I hear is in it in a couple of episodes. I seriously do want to watch it because I hear that the story is awesome, but I'm afraid of skipping the problematic episodes and then missing important content.

I'm not sure you could skip any of the CG episodes without missing important stuff, but I'm over a dozen episodes in and haven't noticed much (if any) fanservice. There's a scene where a character is naked in the shower, but it isn't done in a fanservice-y way.

IIRC, there is fanservice, but like skreyola said it's more of the shower scene/volumptuous girls type. There is one sexual-ish scene later on though that might be what you've been hearing of? I think there's specifics in the reviews on this site.

Sissy wrote:I just finished a rewatch of Ouran Highschool Host Club, and now I'm really in the mood for another anime along those lines. Can anyone suggest a series with good, well-rounded characters and strong friendship themes? (Preferably with minimal romance, or at least with romance taking a back seat to friendship.) I love the humor in Ouran, but that's not really necessary--I'm just in the mood to have emotions about fictional friends, if that makes sense. :)

Oh man I love friendship themes as well.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. It's new and it's really the only show I've seen that compares to Ouran in terms of humor and how fun it is to watch. There are romantic plots but they're not overkill and are played for a laughs a lot. There's a number of friendships in the series and they're great as well.

Also, if you're looking for anime with strong friendship themes and minimal romance, sports anime in general are usually a good bet. I recently finished Haikyuu and really enjoyed it, it's also pretty funny. I personally adore Free and find it really funny, although it is rather fanservicy (but never lewd). Chihayafuru is also a lovely series and since you mentioned shoujo it's a josei so I think you'd like it (it has some light romance to it too). Kuroko no Basket is pretty good. Cross Game is fantastic, but I don't remember it focusing on friendship as much.

Sakamichi no Apollon. Drama/musicians. There's friendship as well as a love triangle. Jazz music, 1960's, etc.

tsuritama. Slice of life. Friendship and fishing. Starts out a bit slow but speeds up partway through (it's only 12 episodes long anyway)

Hyouka. Mystery/slice of life anime. Has friendship with some light romantic plots. One of my favorite anime ever.

Natsume's Book of Friends is also a favorite of mine, and like it's name it contains some really sweet friendship stuff. However, you did mention you don't like supernatural stuff and it does deal heavily with that kind of thing; Natsume can see youkai, or Japanese spirits (sometimes translated as "demons" but they're nothing like Western demons.) I don't know if that would be any better or worse than zodiac stuff.

AnoHana. Drama. Six childhood friends, one dies, friends go separate ways, end up meeting up again years later. Dead girl comes back as a ghost (not spoilers) and is visible to one of the friends, but other than that no supernatural themes.
Vii

Postby artisticDreamer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I need some animes (and manga) that don't have anything sexual and really strong swearing.
I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist <3
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Lucky Star (I've only seen the first seven episodes or so)
artisticDreamer

Postby Exlon » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Anyone got anything to say about Serial Experiments Lain? I randomly saw it on Amazon and thought it looked interesting, but psychological horror (at leats that's what it was classified as) is generally not my kind of thing. But it snagged my interest.
Exlon

Postby artisticDreamer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 pm

I've only seen the first episode- It's a bit strange, and pretty old, but I liked it.
This might be of some use to you: http://www.christiananime.net/reviews/c ... iew&id=357
Last edited by mechana2015 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use the edit button rather than multi posting.
artisticDreamer

Postby EventualDay » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:15 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:I need some animes (and manga) that don't have anything sexual and really strong swearing.
I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist <3
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Lucky Star (I've only seen the first seven episodes or so)

In the general ballpark of comedy/slice-of-life (like Lucky Star):
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - extremely funny, laid-back, and somewhat of a parody
Acchi Kocchi - bit of a rom-com, but relaxing
Super Seisyun Brothers - the episodes are short, about siblings and friendship and such

In the theme of plot/adventure (similar genres as Fullmetal Alchemist):
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle - the show is less complex than the manga, but it's quite well-liked
Angel Beats - has some religious content to be aware of, but a very engaging show and slightly mysterious
Pandora Hearts - I'm pretty sure nothing is overtly sexual, there's that character or two who flirt a bit but nothing major

Does this sound a little like what you're looking for?
EventualDay

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I started watching Pandora Hearts a few days ago, actually. (Nobody seems to remember the ending credits, heh) I really like it so far.
artisticDreamer

Postby skreyola » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:33 pm

EventualDay wrote:Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - extremely funny, laid-back, and somewhat of a parody
Acchi Kocchi - bit of a rom-com, but relaxing

I'll second Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun! Tons of laughs.

Is Acchi Kocchi this show? http://www.hulu.com/place-to-place
There seemed to be some other show with a similar name, so I want to be sure before I start watching.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby MangaRocks! » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 pm

artisticDreamer wrote:I started watching Pandora Hearts a few days ago, actually. (Nobody seems to remember the ending credits, heh) I really like it so far.

Glad you're liking it so far! :) The last few episodes have an anime-original (non-manga-following) ending, but regardless, please be sure to read the manga afterwards, as well-- you won't regret it, because it just keeps on building twists upon twists and some amazing character development and just generally keeps on getting more and more amazing (well beyond the events covered in the anime) as it goes! :thumb:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby faithb4sight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some recommendations~

I'm in the mood for something along the lines of:
Fruits Basket
Kamisama Kiss
Ranma 1/2
Save me! Lollipop

To help narrow for you, I tried and did NOT like:
Good Luck Girl
Shuffle

Not really sure what to call the category I'm looking for. Little bit of romance, maybe some fantasy/adventure, and appropriate humor (nothing MA, and nothing with a lot of sexual content, unless it comes across as 'innocently' as Ranma 1/2).

Also, I would prefer dubbed if at all possible! Subs take a little more concentration, and I have to be in the right mood for them.

Thanks in advance, and God bless you all. :angel:
- Faithb4sight
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby EventualDay » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:24 pm

skreyola wrote:
There seemed to be some other show with a similar name, so I want to be sure before I start watching.

Yeah that would be the one! :)

And while I'm posting, haha, here are some things you might like faithb4sight?

:Less Common:
Princess Tutu - starts as 'monster of the week' but the plot gets deep later. Not similar to your requests necessarily but romance/fantasy/adv. (dub)
Munto - 3 OVA's or 9 episodes (the OVA's are just a compilation of them). Fun story but not too deep, romance/fantasy/adventure (at least partially dubbed)

:More Popular:
DNAngel - thieves and young teenagers with pure hearts, haha (dub)

:Recently Aired (Within the last few years or so):
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - more comedy and slice-of-life (sub)
EventualDay

Postby skreyola » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 pm

EventualDay wrote:
skreyola wrote:

Yeah that would be the one! :)

Thank you for the info. :)
Anime List
skreyola

Postby DecooPunk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:51 pm

I was was just wondering what's the cleanest anime anyone knows. I don't care what genre or anything.

let me revise this somewhat. Violence is okay, and I have already seen all the Studio Ghibli movies I want to watch that have already come out.
Plus I have already seen Usagi Drop.
Last edited by DecooPunk on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DecooPunk

Postby Cat96 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:34 pm

DecooPunk wrote:I was was just wondering what's the cleanest anime anyone knows. I don't care what genre or anything.

Well here's a few,

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle -a show about four people on a journey across time and space. Pretty clean anime with a bit of action.

One Week Friends - An anime about friendship. Other than one slightly awkward moment (no nudity just SPOILER: Highlight text to read: your typical guy-falls-on-top-of-girl scene , but it isn't nearly as awkward as it could've been). Also very little/no violence.

Angel Beats -a series about accepting life and moving on. From what I remember, is also fairly clean in terms of sexual content/nudity, but its a pretty violent series.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 pm

DecooPunk wrote:I was was just wondering what's the cleanest anime anyone knows. I don't care what genre or anything.

Snow Fairy Sugar literally has no objectionable content whatsoever.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby faithb4sight » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:47 am

EventualDay wrote:
And while I'm posting, haha, here are some things you might like faithb4sight?

:Less Common:
Princess Tutu - starts as 'monster of the week' but the plot gets deep later. Not similar to your requests necessarily but romance/fantasy/adv. (dub)
Munto - 3 OVA's or 9 episodes (the OVA's are just a compilation of them). Fun story but not too deep, romance/fantasy/adventure (at least partially dubbed)

:More Popular:
DNAngel - thieves and young teenagers with pure hearts, haha (dub)

:Recently Aired (Within the last few years or so):
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - more comedy and slice-of-life (sub)

I forgot PTT! I love that anime! I watched Kaleido Star and Pretear in the hopes that they'd be kind of along the same lines. While both of them were actually quite enjoyable, they just weren't on par with Princess TuTu.
I also really like DNAngel (manga more than anime), though it was sometimes anti-climactic to me.
I should have added those to my list. But good choices on your part, obviously you're on the right track!

I've never heard of Munto or Mikakunin de Shinkoukei. I'll likely be checking into Munto since it's avail. in dub. But since it's such a short anime I could probably use a couple more suggestions - unless I'm at the end of the line with my preferred "genre".

I guess I'm also kind of looking for a "You're so annoying but eventually I'm in love with you!" vibe (Inu/Kag from Inuyasha, Ranma/Akane from Ranma 1/2, Ahiru/Fakir from PTT, Tomoe/Nanami from Kamisama).
Spark any ideas? Again, I prefer dub, and don't want anything MA - or anything with too much sexual content.

By the way, EventualDay, thank you! :)
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby EventualDay » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:25 pm

No problem :) If I think of more you might like but maybe haven't seen I'll post again.
EventualDay

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:37 am

faithb4sight wrote:I guess I'm also kind of looking for a "You're so annoying but eventually I'm in love with you!" vibe (Inu/Kag from Inuyasha, Ranma/Akane from Ranma 1/2, Ahiru/Fakir from PTT, Tomoe/Nanami from Kamisama).
Spark any ideas? Again, I prefer dub, and don't want anything MA - or anything with too much sexual content.

Funny, that's generally the kind of vibe I hate. :lol:
Anyhow, when you mentioned it, Kaze no Stigma came to mind. It's dubbed, but if I recall it may have some content you wouldn't like. As I recall, there's a frustrating amount of humor about sexual stuff, but no actual sexual content. There's also SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a scene played repetitively towards the end with a girl who is completely nude, but it's not intended in a sexual way. It's purely for storyline, but I can completely understand if that's enough to turn you off.
I feel like I should know more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. If I do I'll let you know.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby GeneD » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:50 am

I second One Week Friends.

Not sure how you feel about short shows, but Yama no Susume/Encouragement of Climb is really clean and a pretty sweet story with a surprising amount of character development for something that's 3 minutes per episode. You can marathon the entire season in less than an hour, but there is a second season that's longer in both episode length and count. I haven't watched S2 yet, but I imagine it's got about the same level of objectionable content, i.e. almost nothing.

I also reccomend Tsuritama, which isn't the cleanest thing I've ever seen, but is still pretty clean and definitely one of the best things I've ever seen. You can check my review here for content details.

All 3 of those are/should be available on Crunchyroll.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:42 am

faithb4sight wrote:I guess I'm also kind of looking for a "You're so annoying but eventually I'm in love with you!" vibe (Inu/Kag from Inuyasha, Ranma/Akane from Ranma 1/2, Ahiru/Fakir from PTT, Tomoe/Nanami from Kamisama).

You could try out Steins;Gate. Though romance is only a small part of the story, it is the type of romance you're looking for. There are allot of sexual jokes, but no fanservice, ecchi, or nudity. Imo, its one of the best anime there is, though some people feel the first thirteen episodes move way too slow, so if you watch it and you're getting a little bored, trust me, it really picks up around episode thirteen (though I personally feel that the whole show is good. :) )
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby SisterHipster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:13 am

Eh~ I'm looking for something with NO FANSERVICE. I have had a sad face at the moments with One Piece and am getting into Fruits Basket as well as Sailor Moon Crystal. Attack on Titan I tried, I couldn't stand characterization by ep. 6 and I was surprised the main character got killed off so quickly and was wondering if they would bring him back. 6 was a blockaide and hated the whole "feel-sorry-for-Mikasa"

What I offer. Mostly movies.
The Girl who Leapt Through Time--very believable s/l.
Wolf Children--It was pretty good for kids to adulthood while being wolves.
SisterHipster

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 am

I would finish AoT, if I were you. It gets a lot better. Fullmetal Alchemist is good, too. Also, Pandora Hearts, though I wouldn't sit through the ending sequence.
artisticDreamer

Postby LastLfan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:30 am

I'd say log horizon, pretty much no fanservice
LastLfan

Postby MomentOfInertia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:25 pm

LastLfan wrote:I'd say log horizon, pretty much no fanservice

Seconded.

Tonari no Seki Kun is a very silly series that you might like. it's all short episodes (<10 minutes). Mostly about a girl getting flustered about how the boy sitting next to her in class is playing around at his desk during class.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/tonari-no-se ... lling-time

You might like Humanity Has Declined.
It's pretty surreal, but I don't remember any fanservice.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/humanity-has-declined
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:49 pm

SisterHipster wrote:Eh~ I'm looking for something with NO FANSERVICE. I have had a sad face at the moments with One Piece and am getting into Fruits Basket as well as Sailor Moon Crystal. Attack on Titan I tried, I couldn't stand characterization by ep. 6 and I was surprised the main character got killed off so quickly and was wondering if they would bring him back. 6 was a blockaide and hated the whole "feel-sorry-for-Mikasa"

No fanservice? That really narrows down your options...all in CAPS like that narrows it down even more, lol.

I would highly recommend sticking with Attack on Titan.

Also you could check out:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Steins;Gate
Death Note
Psycho-Pass

None of them have any over-the-top fanservicey moments--maybe a shower scene here and there, but nothing really.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby scribbledreamer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:51 pm

SisterHipster wrote:Eh~ I'm looking for something with NO FANSERVICE. I have had a sad face at the moments with One Piece and am getting into Fruits Basket as well as Sailor Moon Crystal. Attack on Titan I tried, I couldn't stand characterization by ep. 6 and I was surprised the main character got killed off so quickly and was wondering if they would bring him back. 6 was a blockaide and hated the whole "feel-sorry-for-Mikasa"

One Week Friends - This is adorable, and I watched it with my little sister.

Chihayafuru - Doesn't have any fanservice that I remember. There is one semi-sexual joke in the second season that repeats a couple times, but I started watching it with my mom (who's pretty conservative in what she watches), so I'd consider it fairly mild. It's a fantastic show, though.

Special A - No fanservice, per say. There are a couple girls in bikinis in one episode (though it's better than anything you'll see in tv commercials) and one moment where a girl is saved by a guy while at the beach and kind of lands in a way that gives his a glimpse of her cleaveage. It's clear he's...distracted, but the camera doesn't show anything and the scene doesn't last for more than a few seconds. There's also another point in which a guy kisses another guy SPOILER: Highlight text to read: due to a condition. aka, it's not really meant to be sexual. Again, I (forced) my mom to watch this in my attempt to get her into anime, and she liked it a lot, for anime.

Toshokan Sensou - Great if you're into action (I'm not really, and I still loved it.)

Clannad and Clannad After Story have some short skirts and the gym outfits are more like bikini bottoms. It has a handful of innuendos, but it's pretty clean and it's a beautiful show.
scribbledreamer

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews