Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby KazeShiki » Mon May 26, 2014 7:15 am

Okay, you might not like Hunter x Hunter since some of its characters are in a grey area. One Piece has a lot of epic scenes, just saying. Maybe Toriko - characters aren't all that interesting but has some of the other two things you like. I agree you might like Sword Art Online or Blue Exorcist.

My Shion no Ou rec still stands - it's one of best "clean" mysteries in anime. I can think of a number of other good mysteries but the content isn't all that safe...
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby Kilvakar » Tue May 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Well, Hunter x Hunter is actually pretty interesting from what I've heard of it, I'm not against characters being a little shady here and there, but I hate when the main characters are jerks or psychos or do immoral things a lot, but are still the "good guys" just because they're not as evil as the villains.

I've got a lot of One Piece recs, so I'll probably have to try it out sometime (I like long series anyway, lol!) Blue Exorcist looks pretty cool as well.

I've never heard of Shion no Ou, gonna go look it up right now... :)

Thanks for the ideas!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Anime I've seen:
Gurren Lagann
Sword Art Online
One Piece
Accel World

So, I'm looking for some over the top anime, like Gurren Lagann for example. It can be mecha, but it doesn't necessarily have to. Would appreciate it if it doesn't have any nudity or anti-Christian messages.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Thunderscream872 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:12 pm

SincerelyAnomymous wrote:Anime I've seen:
Gurren Lagann
Sword Art Online
One Piece
Accel World

So, I'm looking for some over the top anime, like Gurren Lagann for example. It can be mecha, but it doesn't necessarily have to. Would appreciate it if it doesn't have any nudity or anti-Christian messages.

Based on what you said above, here are the shows I recommend. Some of these shows do have iffy content, but based on what you like, I'm going to recommend them anyways:

Yu Yu Hakusho(this show is long, just so you know, lol)
Guilty Crown
Eureka Seven (there is a topless women on the cover of a magazine that one of the characters is shown reading on occasion, but its always very briefly shown. There is a flash of the magazine cover on the first opening to the show)
Btooom! (There is a scene where a girl gets sexually assaulted, and though there's no full-on nudity, it's pretty explicit. Also, there is implied rape in some flashbacks)
Blue Exorcist (I'm watching it right now, and I really like it. I can't guarantee that there is no nudity, but I highly, HIGHLY doubt there will be, there is some fan service though. Also, the main character is the "son of Satan" and is a demon; however, he's a good guy and fighting against the demons)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (haven't watched it yet, but if you're really looking for "over-the-top" you'd probably enjoy FMAB over FMA)
Soul Eater (also haven't watched it yet, but from what I hear about it, you might enjoy it)

Hope this helps.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:49 pm

SincerelyAnomymous wrote:Anime I've seen:
Gurren Lagann
Sword Art Online
One Piece
Accel World

Do I see an opportunity to plug Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still? I think I do.

Giant Robo is the best, period. Gurren Lagann might have the size advantage when it comes to being over the top, but for sheer emotional weight, Giant Robo wins top awards. It starts out normally enough for a super robot show, but by the end, the dialogue is entirely in dramatic monologues delivered like operatic arias, with the massive personality clashes and a symphonic score to go with it. Simply put, there is nothing in anime like Giant Robo - it has more to say and show you in seven (double-length) episodes than most get to do in twenty six, and it looks gorgeous while doing it. In terms of content, it really depends on which version you watch - the first dub has more profanity, but also fits the characterizations and mood of the story better (even if a couple voices are a little dodgy), but the second is really clean, and I can't comment on the sub. There's also the Ginrei Specials, which are a couple side episodes that got dashed off while the next episodes of the actual show was delayed for various reasons, and those are a) heavy on the fanservice and b) not worth watching because they suck, so you would be better off avoiding them even if that wasn't a concern.

Another good one would be G Gundam. After a few depressing, dramatic Gundam shows in the early '90s and an associated drop in model sales, they decided to do a reboot of Gundam with a new series, designed to sell toys, and what they got was even better. It's way more into the shonen side of things than the dramatic war stories of the first few series (though it's no less dramatic - maybe even more so!), focusing on a rather single-minded martial artist from Japan who's trying to find his brother and the machine he stole, while trying to win a worldwide giant robot fight tournament at the same time. The best part of it is how goofy it gets, even as it tries to tell you to stop laughing, because people singing America the Beautiful to help their friend get over their fear of clowns is serious, darn it. And sure, it sags a bit in its second act, but it's all fun to watch. Make sure you find the dub, it's very well done, and one of my favorites (a tiny bit of censorship aside)! That censorship, by the way, is mostly just changing the name of a couple robots in the show that went a little too far for Cartoon Network's tastes during its Toonami run - the rest of the show made it through basically intact, being clean as it is on everything else.
Last edited by Davidizer13 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davidizer13

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:09 pm

I'd say Soul Eater would be good in terms of over-the-top. There's a little bit of fan service, but it pretty much dies out after the first three episodes. No anti-christian messages I can really think of.

Trigun has a fairly over the top feel. Though the later episodes do get more serious as the story progresses. Bare minimum fan service in this one.

In regards to FMA:B. It has it's over-the-top moments, but it's a pretty serious toned show throughout (again, more so as the story progresses).

Hope that helped~
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 am

I second Trigun, and third Soul Eater and FMA: B.
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Okay soooo.... I've found this anime called Hiiro No Kakera and have not been able to find a review for it. Is it apropriate for 13+? Is there any Sexual Nudity Content or Language? I'm fine with Violence as long as it's not Gore or Horror(I've watched Pandora Hearts and FMA).
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
"What's left in the end..is not always what you wish for!" - Xerxes Break
twistedfairytale45

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm

twistedfairytale45 wrote:Okay soooo.... I've found this anime called Hiiro No Kakera and have not been able to find a review for it. Is it apropriate for 13+? Is there any Sexual Nudity Content or Language? I'm fine with Violence as long as it's not Gore or Horror(I've watched Pandora Hearts and FMA).

A quick search on google brought me to this site. The genre isn't my cup of tea, so I can't offer any critique other than the afore-linked page.
Crossfire

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Crossfire wrote:
twistedfairytale45 wrote:Okay soooo.... I've found this anime called Hiiro No Kakera and have not been able to find a review for it. Is it apropriate for 13+? Is there any Sexual Nudity Content or Language? I'm fine with Violence as long as it's not Gore or Horror(I've watched Pandora Hearts and FMA).

A quick search on google brought me to this site. The genre isn't my cup of tea, so I can't offer any critique other than the afore-linked page.

Okay, thank you! ;)
"You can keep walking, or turn back, or take a different road." -Elliot Nightray
twistedfairytale45

Postby ForeverInspired » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 am

twistedfairytale45 wrote:
Crossfire wrote:

Okay, thank you! ;)

I think it's pretty mediocre in those categories. I watched both seasons and found them to be enjoyable. It's opening songs are amazing. Nonetheless, enjoyable as it may be, the show can get somewhat boring and slow. If I can get around to it, I'll make a proper review here. Don't count on it though. ;)
ForeverInspired

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:33 pm

So I heard amazing things about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I've watched the first 4 episodes. I do like Simon and Kamina and think the concept is kinda cool, but other than that, I haven't been too impressed. The storyline hasn't made much sense to me yet and the amount of fanservice is a bit annoying IMHO. Do you guys think it gets better later?
mysngoeshere56

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:23 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:So I heard amazing things about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I've watched the first 4 episodes. I do like Simon and Kamina and think the concept is kinda cool, but other than that, I haven't been too impressed. The storyline hasn't made much sense to me yet and the amount of fanservice is a bit annoying IMHO. Do you guys think it gets better later?

Let me start off by saying that I liked the first few episodes (along with the rest of the show, for the most part) allot, so this is coming from a person who was impressed initially by TTGL.

Honestly, I love Gurren Lagann, it's one of the best, most epic animes I've seen. I think nearly all the characters and their interactions with each other are handled very well. You get to see certain characters have pretty interesting development later on in the show.

It's mainly the first 5 or 6 episodes that have allot of fanservice. It’s toned down allot in the second half of the show (mind you certain characters still wear skimpy outfits, but its not so "in your face").

The story does become somewhat more coherent as the show goes on, but to some extent you kinda have to just turn your brain off and enjoy the chaotic nature of the show. It does get allot more serious around episode 8, and then the second half of the show feels pretty different than the first.

Let me just say that if you’re feeling a little annoyed with the show initially (which is understandable, its pretty over-the-top), the story evolves into something very different than what you’d expect just from seeing the first few episodes. Imo, it’s one of those shows that can make you excited, happy, sad, laugh, feel a little depressed and can actually be pretty shocking at times—all of which make it one of the best.

I hope that helps, if you have any other questions, I’d be happy to answer them :)

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Thank you, Thunder! :) I guess I'll at least see a few more episodes. I'm just the type to analyze a lot of stuff (that's why I've taken lots of Lit classes in college), so generally if something doesn't have a deeper meaning to it, I might not be impressed by it. But I 'spose you've given me enough reasons to give it a bit more of a chance. I just didn't want to sit through 27 episodes that would be just like what I've already seen, but I guess I won't have to.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Cadence » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Hey guys! I haven't watched any new anime since fall 2012 and was wondering if there was anything good that came out between then and now that might appeal to my tastes? Here is a link to my MAL for reference. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/AvatarTotoro I already watched Mushishi Zoku Shou and Kyousougiga and loved them both, and I have been watching Yowapeda and enjoying it enormously. Thanks in advance!
Cadence

Postby skreyola » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

Hmm... Not entirely sure on the dates for some of these, but:
Girls und Panzer, Hanasaku Iroha, Gin no Saji (both seasons), and Isshuukan Friends might appeal to you.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby Cadence » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks skreyola! I didn't realize Gin no Saji had been animated - I might have to check it out!
Cadence

Postby twistedfairytale45 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:06 am

okay so, I just found out about this anime called sayonara zetsubou sensei(or goodbye, mr. despair) and I want to know if it's clean... I did watch the opening theme and it made it look like not a good show, but I read a description for it and it sounds hilarious. I really want to watch it but I just don't know if it's clean... Has anyone watched this show and can tell me if its okay?

P.S. I'm NOT okay with gay/lesbian relationships or sex(comments or references are okay as long as they're to a minimum). I've watched Soul Eater(and have understood the crude humor of Nichijou) so that's about my level of inappropriateness...
twistedfairytale45

Postby Thunderscream872 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:20 pm

I've never seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but from doing a Google search with the title and a few keywords, I don't think there's anything in there that you'd be worried about. Even if there is, it's only twelve episodes. Its not like you're gonna get twenty episodes in and all the sudden all this stuff you find inappropriate starts happening.

Thunderscream872

Postby ForeverInspired » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:07 pm

I've never watched it myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. In fact, it's towards the top of my "to watch" list (but towards the top is a relevant term...).
ForeverInspired

Postby Cat96 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm looking for a good clean series (no worse than Soul Eater). I'm okay with violence and cursing (as long as it isn't excessive). I'm a fan of action, slice-of-life, and mystery. I recently saw Heaven's Memo Pad and enjoyed it. I've also seen FMA(B), Trigun, One Week Friends, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Log Horizon. Also, is SAO2 better than SAO? I've been thinking about giving the series a second chance and wonder if it's worth it (like if the characters are better). The big thing I typically look for in a good show are interesting characters who are believable and relatable.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:04 pm

As ever, I will recommend Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle if you haven't seen it. Excellent show with very excellent characters.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Cat96 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:06 pm

You know where it can be watched legally? It isn't on hulu, or at least the main series isn't.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:55 am

Ah, good point. I have a physical copy, and I always forget how hard it is to find it online. Hmmm...Sadly, I'm drawing a blank, but I'll let you know if I see it on any of the legal streaming sites. Funimation used to have it but dropped it for whatever reason, and now they only stream the OVAs. We should petition them to bring it back...
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby IPv4 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:57 am

Cat96 wrote:You know where it can be watched legally? It isn't on hulu, or at least the main series isn't.

Join the dark side.........
IPv4

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm

IPv4 wrote:
Cat96 wrote:You know where it can be watched legally? It isn't on hulu, or at least the main series isn't.

Join the dark side.........

"It is pointless to resist..."

Thunderscream872

Postby Vii » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 pm

Cat96 wrote:I'm looking for a good clean series (no worse than Soul Eater). I'm okay with violence and cursing (as long as it isn't excessive). I'm a fan of action, slice-of-life, and mystery. I recently saw Heaven's Memo Pad and enjoyed it. I've also seen FMA(B), Trigun, One Week Friends, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Log Horizon. Also, is SAO2 better than SAO? I've been thinking about giving the series a second chance and wonder if it's worth it (like if the characters are better). The big thing I typically look for in a good show are interesting characters who are believable and relatable.

Hyouka - Slice of Life/Mystery. Very clean. It was never licensed in America as far as I know, so it's not available from any legal sources.
Mushi-shi - Mystery/supernatural. Kind of like Natsume Yuujinchou. Kinda creepy at times. Available on Crunchyroll and Netflix I think.
Blast of Tempest - Shonen. Has a lot of action but is also loosely based on Shakespeare works so there's a fair amount of dialogue. No worse than Soul Eater in the fanservice department. Available on Crunchyroll.
tsuritama - Slice of life. Very cute. Completely clean. On Crunchyroll.
Vii

Postby Cat96 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Vii wrote:
Cat96 wrote:I'm looking for a good clean series (no worse than Soul Eater). I'm okay with violence and cursing (as long as it isn't excessive). I'm a fan of action, slice-of-life, and mystery. I recently saw Heaven's Memo Pad and enjoyed it. I've also seen FMA(B), Trigun, One Week Friends, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Log Horizon. Also, is SAO2 better than SAO? I've been thinking about giving the series a second chance and wonder if it's worth it (like if the characters are better). The big thing I typically look for in a good show are interesting characters who are believable and relatable.

Hyouka - Slice of Life/Mystery. Very clean. It was never licensed in America as far as I know, so it's not available from any legal sources.
Mushi-shi - Mystery/supernatural. Kind of like Natsume Yuujinchou. Kinda creepy at times. Available on Crunchyroll and Netflix I think.
Blast of Tempest - Shonen. Has a lot of action but is also loosely based on Shakespeare works so there's a fair amount of dialogue. No worse than Soul Eater in the fanservice department. Available on Crunchyroll.
tsuritama - Slice of life. Very cute. Completely clean. On Crunchyroll.

Some of these look good, I'll try them. Thanks1 :D
Cat96

Postby Thunderscream872 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Steins;Gate
Death Note
Blue Exorcist
Fate/Zero
Blast of Tempest
Psycho Pass
Eureka Seven
Guilty Crown
K (there is lots of fanservice early on, but it dies down pretty quickly)
Darker Than Black
Angel Beats
Code Geass (brief, mild nudity)
Ghost Hunt

I'd also recommend Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho, but they're pretty long. I know some people are weary of the 100+ episode ones. Gurren Lagann is also really good. The fanservice can be pretty excessive, but I'd say its definitely worth looking passed.

Thunderscream872

Postby Cat96 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:

Steins;Gate
Death Note
Blue Exorcist
Fate/Zero
Blast of Tempest
Psycho Pass
Eureka Seven
Guilty Crown
K (there is lots of fanservice early on, but it dies down pretty quickly)
Darker Than Black
Angel Beats
Code Geass (brief, mild nudity)
Ghost Hunt

I'd also recommend Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho, but they're pretty long. I know some people are weary of the 100+ episode ones. Gurren Lagann is also really good. The fanservice can be pretty excessive, but I'd say its definitely worth looking passed.

To be honest, the big reason why I don't watch Code Geass is because of the fanservice that I hear is in it in a couple of episodes. I seriously do want to watch it because I hear that the story is awesome, but I'm afraid of skipping the problematic episodes and then missing important content.

I'll try some of the others. They do sound interesting. Thanks!
Cat96

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews