Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 pm

If you are interested in finding a new series to follow, ask here. Do not create another thread, as it will be locked and redirected here. Please do give some specifics of what might interest you or some of your favorite series, however, so that people can make good recommendations.

Anyone can offer a suggestion, of course, though please try to respond to what the person said instead of just plugging your favorite series. Also, keep discussion of them down to whatever is required for the recommendation. Posts with no more substance than "Oh, I love that too!" will be deleted.

That said, I hope that all of you can find satisfactory series.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:10 pm

umm, i'm looking for a nice action packed, fast-paced anime. i don't want it to be TOO violent in terms of blood and gore, but lots of nice, smooth fights. i'm not too enthusiastic about romance, and no nudity or sexual content (unless it is mild and not frequent). here are some series that i've tried, and enjoyed:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter x Hunter
Getbackers
Samurai 7
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach

oh yeah, and here is a list of animes that i tried and did not/do not enjoy, or simply am not too keen of:

naruto
trigun
rurouni kenshin
one piece
shaman king
black cat
dragonball (z/gt)
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Aleolus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:22 pm

While I'm not especially looking for any anime at the moment, there are several series I'd like to find more of. Slayers, Gatekeepers, and Tenchi Muyo are currently the big ones. I'm also quite interested in one I found not to long ago called Venus Versus Virus. I don't think it's out here in the US yet, but it's quite good.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Aleolus wrote:Slayers

If it's about the first season, what would you like to know?
Aleolus wrote:Venus Versus Virus

Saw a couple episodes of that, can't recommend it. Not a fan of the art, the predictable episodic nature, or hinted yuri.
Fish and Chips

Postby Stiletto » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Aleolus wrote:While I'm not especially looking for any anime at the moment, there are several series I'd like to find more of. Slayers, Gatekeepers, and Tenchi Muyo are currently the big ones.

Gatekeepers is one of my favorite series. It's fun "popcorn" anime for the most part, but there is plenty of drama and action to keep you hooked on the series. Definitely recommended for the time period it's set in (alternate 1960's Japan) and fun characters.

If you considered Gatekeepers, there is also an OVA sequel called Gatekeepers 21, which is set thirty years after the original series. The mood for this series is the exact opposite of the original series and is much darker in tone. As far as the animation and writing, I'd say GK21 beats the original hands down, given that it's only 6 episodes long.
Stiletto

Postby ICE-rocks » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:31 am

This is something I was thinking of getting...

I was thinking of starting a collection but... I'm going to wait till I get a job but what
I want to get (for now) is an anime network for cable but... how many are there and which ones are the best? stuff I like is like Inuyasha, Orphen, slayers. I was just wondering if there was a specific "great network" out there with all the good anime shows.

well thanks in advance.
Ice-rocks.
I'm back with a vengeance or at least anime studio :thumb:
ICE-rocks

Postby KBMaster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:21 pm

I need an anime to watch after Haibane Renmei. Here are the animes I've watched.
Inuyasha
Full Metal Alchemist
Black Cat
Full Moon
Scrapped Princess
Air
Ehh, there might be more but non that I can think of. As for content... well nothing worse than what's listed(except Inuyasha, I was surprised at the content that WASN'T already present in the original manga). Thanks!
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:48 pm

KB, try Mushishi or Witch Hunter Robin. i'd also suggest The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but it does have some fan service. you could check out the review for that one if you're interested...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KBMaster » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks, Jon_Jinn! I'm watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and LOVING IT! I can't wait to see the second ep!
KBMaster

Postby macguy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:32 am

So much anime to choose from... I have a disliking for a romance oriented shows because it gets dull with all the focus on girls and boys. Kenshin had a bit of romance but it was at most pretty hilarious and wasn't oriented on that topic. So romance itself is nice to have here and there but not everywhere. Now, the ones I've watched are:

1) Dragonball (Z/GT)
2) Rurouni Kenshin
3) Samurai Champloo
4) Bleach
5) Naruto

That's about it...I suppose that I'm a bit choosy in my anime selection. Fullmetal alchemist seems to be a good alternative but is there any others? Comedy is good but the only thing I've seen is again the "romance" comedies. If you could suggest a non-romance comedy then that would be great... Hope I'm not asking for too much. Enjoy your day!
macguy

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:33 pm

Macguy, i would suggest the following animes to you:

Cowboy Bebop - from the creators of samurai champloo. this anime totally rocks.
Yu Yu Hakusho - good, solid, action series that has a lot of DBZ style beat-up fights.
Samurai 7 - another good action/drama anime with some cool sword fights and stuff.
Getbackers - a personal favorite of mine that consists of both comedy and smooth, stylized action.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:41 pm

I second Cowboy Bebop and add Yotsuba&!. Probably the cleanest, funniest manga you'll ever read. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby macguy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Cowboy Bebop eh? Wow, I didn't payed attention for another series by the same creator. Wonder if he's going to create more... The dragonball-z style fighting anime is particularly of interest because I don't see many like it. Thanks you for those suggestions, I'll be sure to put that in my anime-to-watch list.

Mangas are like comic books to me but I guess i can take a look at Yotsuba. Garfield is my favorite comedy comic so far.
macguy

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:48 pm

oh yeah, macguy, you could also try Hunter x Hunter. it's an adventure/action anime that's one of my favorites. it isn't hardcore fighting though. still a good anime.

if you're looking for comedy, try azumanga diaoh!

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby macguy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Interesting, you've seemed to have watched 5-10x the amount of anime that I have and at a young age. It's probably because I'm interested in computers and programming which gives me less time. I'll be sure to try the comedy ones because I've never watched one that aims at that.
macguy

I need new things to read.

Postby White_Rose » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm mostly interested in Manga, except for a few rare exceptions. I like series that have complicated plot lines, and good, interesting characters.
I don't like stories placed in highschools or whatnot.. unless there are other plot twists that make up for it.

My current favorite is DN Angel. I love the art, I love the characters (Mainly Satoshi Hikari). The story is complicated, and the author/artist makes you find out for yourself, rather than dumping information into your lap. I love wondering who these characters really are, and guessing at their past, as the author slowly gives me hints.

I am open to all suggestions! Fire away!
I egarly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have a sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. Phil 1:9
~~~~~~~~~~@~~~~~~~~~~
Let those who have reason to be thankful continually sing praise unto the Lord! James 5:13b
[color=darkred]#FQXCJU9[/color]
White_Rose

Postby Puguni » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Macguy, try Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu. It's so bizarrely funny, you'll genuinely laugh. Well, I did.

White_rose, people will probably tell you to read Full moon wo Sagashite or Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. However, this is the wrong thread for such things, and you'll find that there is a thread just like this in the manga forum.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:16 pm

White_Rose wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm mostly interested in Manga, except for a few rare exceptions. I like series that have complicated plot lines, and good, interesting characters.
I don't like stories placed in highschools or whatnot.. unless there are other plot twists that make up for it.

My current favorite is DN Angel. I love the art, I love the characters (Mainly Satoshi Hikari). The story is complicated, and the author/artist makes you find out for yourself, rather than dumping information into your lap. I love wondering who these characters really are, and guessing at their past, as the author slowly gives me hints.

I am open to all suggestions! Fire away!

if you're looking for nice, complex animes with good characterization, try The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Monster, Paranoia Agent, or Mushishi. I recommend the first two more though because Paranoia Agent might be a little TOO complex and confusing for you. and i haven't seen all of the Mushishi series to full-heartedly recommend it to you...

and these are anime recommendations.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Allow White_Rose to clarify before posting further responses. Are you a manga-reader looking for some anime or are you making a manga request? If it's the latter, you'll probably get a better response in the manga equivalent of this thread, found here:
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=40643
uc pseudonym

Postby White_Rose » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 pm

Honestly, I did not know there was a thread like this for manga requests. I was -at the time- trying to request manga.
But having said that, please pretend my post was requesting anime purely; I've been in the mood lately anyway. If I want manga, I'll move to the other thread. :thumb:
(Thanks for your patience everyone! I'll stay 'on topic' now.)

if you're looking for nice, complex animes with good characterization, try The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Monster, Paranoia Agent, or Mushishi. I recommend the first two more though because Paranoia Agent might be a little TOO complex and confusing for you. and i haven't seen all of the Mushishi series to full-heartedly recommend it to you...

Yes. That is what I wanted to hear! Those all sound really good, *nodds* yep, just like the kind of things I like to watch. As soon as I can get my hands on a rental, I'll let you know!
I egarly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have a sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. Phil 1:9
~~~~~~~~~~@~~~~~~~~~~
Let those who have reason to be thankful continually sing praise unto the Lord! James 5:13b
[color=darkred]#FQXCJU9[/color]
White_Rose

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:16 pm

i don't think Monster, Mushishi, or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is out in the U.S. yet but you can try out Paranoia Agent. you might have to watch it through more than once to fully understand it. heck, i don't fully understand it but i still think it's an awesome anime. (it's only 13 episodes long though...)

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby KBMaster » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:27 pm

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is coming out in the U.S. The first disc is available for pre-order.
KBMaster

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:12 pm

The Monster Anime hasn't even been licensed yet, much less market for English distribution. And what I've seen of the imports are ghastly expensive.

So I'd stick with the Manga.
Fish and Chips

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:06 pm

So what can anyone suggest for a good martial arts anime along the lines of Naruto or DBZ?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:14 pm

Along the lines of Naruto and DBZ, or just martial arts Anime? Because series with over 100 episodes are not in my general forte.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:17 pm

etoh*the*greato, you could try Yu Yu Hakusho. the anime has lots of hand-to-hand combat fights like DBZ and is a pretty long series.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Long is not necessarily a requirement. I'm just looking for something fun along those lines. The hand to hand kind of martial arts anime.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:Long is not necessarily a requirement. I'm just looking for something fun along those lines. The hand to hand kind of martial arts anime.

if that's the case, you should really try Yu Yu Hakusho.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:57 pm

And while we're talking about old time shonen you could try Fist of the North Star. Then again, it's even more pure shonen than DBZ, so if that wasn't what you liked about the series it would appeal to you much less.

When you say hand to hand, does that mean with no weapons? I ask primarily because both DBZ and Naruto aren't pure martial arts. Another mainstream shonen title that is very similar to those is Bleach, which is in my opinion superior to both in terms of plot. But this recommedation is highly qualified because I'm not sure specifically what you want.

If what you're concerned about is the quality of the action, I highly recommend Blade of the Immortal (though note significant violence and some sexual content). It has real choreography, unlike many series, and there is a realistic feel to much of the combat. Most characters use weapons along with martial arts, however.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:28 pm

UC beat me to it, but I was going to recommend Bleach as well.

If what you're concerned about is the quality of the action, I highly recommend Blade of the Immortal (though note significant violence and some sexual content). It has real choreography, unlike many series, and there is a realistic feel to much of the combat. Most characters use weapons along with martial arts, however.

But, this is the anime recommendations thread and Blade of the Immortal doesn't have an anime...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews