[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
fanservicing bad? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

fanservicing bad?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

fanservicing bad?

Postby Christianotaku » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:14 am

Is fanservicing really bad come on its fanservicing its for fans so why should we the fans not like it?
thats the way i see it
wesley useche aka. DJWeslo Thevidgod Christianotaku

oh really hehe knives hmhm
*starts burning down the board*
Christianotaku

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:16 am

Because the usual definition is not serving anyone but the twisted, sick fans that enjoy seeing nudity and sexual scenes, like shower shots and/or sex scenes. How does that serve a Christian fan at all?
Not once have I ever heard the word fanservice used in conjunction with anything pure or pleasing by Christian standards.
Ashley

Postby Gypsy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:35 am

Exactly. Fanservice has always meant scantily clad to not clad at all. Fanservice ranges from strategically placed angles that either go up skirts or down shirts, to the more extreme. And I'm of the set belief that fanservice takes away from the character development. I mean, you can have this totally awesome heroine all through the anime, and all of the sudden ... whoops! An out-of-control crane goes by and miraculously rips off her shirt! I mean, give me a break.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby inkhana » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:53 am

Yup, I'm with them. It does detract from the character development. But if you ask me, if you're watching for the fanservice, you're probably not concerned about the character development... :rolls_eye

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Lightbringer » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:56 am

I especially hate it because the majority of the fans who want service all want the most stupid predictable story! how dumb is that. Bah to you fans I say! If you want your own story WRITE IT YOURSELF!

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:15 pm

its for fans so why should we the fans not like it?

Just because something is created for you does not mean it's created in your best interest. Fanservicing is primarily for the purpose of money (like so much in big business). Besides, as Christians, the last thing we want is to be spoon-fed any material that they feel like.

Ashley referred to the sick and twisted fans- and they're the reason fanservicing exists. Who's going to stand up against something if not we Christians?

Note: We don't hate you. Everything I've written (and I believe I can safely assume for the others) is in the interest of helping you in your Christian walk, not condemning you.
uc pseudonym

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:11 pm

I wish there was some kind of manga rating system. Seriously. One thing that I kind of liked in Animerica was when they reviewed an anime, they had this rating thingy they used to warn you of the content. I wish someone would do that with manga dangit! >< I guess we can help with that...if I ever get the money again I'd start buyin' up manga and reviewing them for youse guys so's I can warn you. What's even cooler is the comic shop will buy back manga and give you store credit for it :D So if I dun like it I can get rid of it...

OKAY! Back on topic!

Fanservice = eww.

I'm done :]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:37 am

:rant: See my signature.

IMHO, fanservice is stupid. It's thrown in to attract people who are too inattentive, unintelligent, or simply philistine to actually be interested in things like plot, characters, artwork, and storyline to increase sales. . .and it's quite worthless.

For example, I think the 18th episode of Trigun was fanservice to some extent, although of a rather odd variety (fanservice is usually aimed at male viewers rather than female viewers and doesn't usually use characters that have physical imperfections), nevertheless, that was one of the better plot episodes of the series and REALLY didn't need that LOL. The fanservice was really worthless and added little or nothing to it, IMHO: the same objectives could have been accomplished in the story without it.

*MillyFan ducks rotten tomatoes from Ashley and the others who were probably drooling while watching that episode ~.^

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:58 am

Oooh, I highly doubt Ashley was drooling ....
I think you'll get a lot worse than rotten tomatoes for that one, MillyFan. (steps out of thread before Ashley finds it)
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Ashley » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:12 am

Girls, girls, girls...you've got me figured out all wrong. First off, I agree, the content in episode 18 was not really needed. They could have approached that whole 'dilemma' ---I'll leave it at that--- differently. It gave the series the slight nudity warning I had to put in there. *sighs angrily at animation company* So both of you can step right back in here, I'm unarmed.

....and no I wasn't drooling either.
Ashley

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:01 am

Dont look at me, either...I was blushing, not drooling! LOL Milly, you hit the nail on the head, IMHO. I don't think it was necessary either. Even if they felt they had to "go there" they could have...er....changed the camera angle a bit, if you know what I mean....

Don't worry Ashley...I believe you...:thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby MillyFan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:50 pm

Yes, Ashley, I believe you and *Hope* and that other fangirl in that thread were not :drool:ing ~.^

:lol:

However, I'm not saying I'm better than you are even if you admit it. LOL, if there was similar fanservice on Legato or Wolfwood, who knows, I might have been no better.

In that case, I must admit it was probably merely personal taste that kept me from drooling rather than immense spirituality :red: :lick: :red:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:00 pm

Hmm, I'm usually not nit-picky like this, but I'd find it hard to believe that many girls respond to fanservice directed towards them. Females for the most part are not designed to be visually stimulated. I mean, of course we get those butterflies when we see an attractive male, and we can also see them coming a mile away - but it doesn't work the same way with our eyes as it does for guys. Girls that are visually turned on have either opened themselves up to it by not guarding their eyes and/or thoughts - or they may have other problems. I'm not going to go into what turns on who, but in most cases, fanservice for girls is rare for a reason.
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:10 pm

True. Though unless I seriously misjudge the current, it's on the rise. That's probably a very bad thing. Though, as I've said many other times, if they think they can make money on it, they'll do it.
uc pseudonym

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews