Ronin Warriors

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Ronin Warriors

Postby Ashley » Fri May 30, 2003 8:19 am

Name: Ronin Warriors (Yorodien Samurai Troopers in Japan)
TV spots: March 1998 on Toonami, currently available on DVD
Summary:
Set in what appears to be the early 90s (it was made in like 1983), it's a story about 5 teenage boys who try and battle a evil...well, demon I guess...and his dominion and keep him from taking over the world. To aid them, they have been given "mystical" armors that react with different elements on Earth. (fire, water, air, etc.).
What's good: Themes of friendship, self-sacrifice and justice...also, redemption does come into play later.
What's not: there is no nudity, profanity, or graphic violence (mostly sword play, but absolutely no blood); at least there wasn't in the Cartoon Network version. However, there are the mention of "neather spirits" (they look like ghosts), and at one point a character is possesed.
Ash's notes: I will be honest, this was my first exposure to anime that I truly liked. The animation is a bit outdated by today's standards, but the story remains excellent. To be honest, the whole neather realm and neather spirits, even the possession at the end of the series, did not really bother me...I knew in my mind it was just a story, and it was never an issue with me. That may just be me. Also, this is one of the very few anime which is completely clean and bloodless, which is quite rare I think.
Also Available: 3 OAVs (not available yet in America), Gaiden, Message and Kikoutei Densu. I haven't seen these, so these guidelines are only for the series itself.
Ashley

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews