Blame

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Blame

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:31 pm

There is a new anime out on (ok, I'll edit and put link later if I'm allowed) called blame

Unlike most of the stuff there which is fansubs, and are therefore commercial products, this anime was made specifically for the fansub community. It was translated by the creators and encoded into XviD by the creators In other words, the creators of it are the ones that put it out to be on bittorrents.

In any case, this has a similar feeling to most homemade animation... The episodes are very small, less than 4 minutes of actual episode not counting the end sequence, and it is very confusing, very effects heavy, and extremely slick and stylistic. Alltogether with 6 episodes and a bonus episode, this show was... one big confusing mystery to me...

Um,ok, gotta warn people... In the first log there is a violent scene. In one of the logs, there is nudity (I don't even know it it's human though it is made to look so... also looks like part of the machinary...) so that's the warnings... Oh, and the things that run the place, one of them has two upside down crosses, and there is a large cross (right side up) in one of the scenes, it looked as though the charachter was bowing to it, though I may have been trying to pull something out of it that wasn't there...

So, anyone else seen this? Anyone get it at all? I mean, I thought Lain was a little confusing but I mostly understood it at the end... This, however... My brain's about to explode? Does anyone understand exactly what this was about? If so, can someone explain it to me?

The animation was amazing... It's better than 99% of TV animation, and looks like it took a long time to do. It was almost definately digital, and they probably used a lot of tricks to do some of the things that happened. But, the story is very... weird... I mean, for people confused by lain, don't bother with this one... it's just too out there. But something in my brain won't let me drop it... I need SOMEONE to explain it to me... Does anyone get it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:59 am

Ah, BLAME!, one of my favorite manga. I'm not aware though that it was the creators themselves that put it out so to speak--isn't it a bonus on the end of a DVD or something?

Anyway, the BLAME! anime shorts are just snippets from the manga in nearly random order (the log names nearly fooled me, but the timeline was pretty much whacked). In fact, it's so random that I can't even tell which log it's based on anymore (especially the last one; log 6 if I'm not mistaken). The music is a plus and the effects are cool--though I'm not too keen on the animation and art this time.

Mainly because there's so little of it.

And I gotta admit I'm used to Tsutomu Nihei's heavy, HEAVY, inking to set BLAME!'s atmosphere and watching it all in color made it lose the contrast.

But you should know the anime log episodes are nearly RANDOM and that ending is definitely not the ending of the manga. It's merely a "bonus" so I don't think they intended it to be anything else but a mere "bonus". Go read the manga; the anime isn't meant for understanding ^^
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:53 pm

Psycho Ann wrote:Ah, BLAME!, one of my favorite manga. I'm not aware though that it was the creators themselves that put it out so to speak--isn't it a bonus on the end of a DVD or something?

Maybe it's not... The files all have their fansubbers or encoders listed and it said that Wizzu (the company that did the animation) did the subbing and encoding... Maybe I'm wrong...

I didn't know this was manga to begin with... Hmm... Is it released in the US? If so, by who?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:39 pm

Isn't Wizzu a anime fansub group? They have their own irc channel and site. The words "A Wizzu Production" should be their claim that BLAME! was a fansub production by Wizzu, not the anime itself.

And no, BLAME! isn't released in the US, nor does it seem like it's going to be licensed anytime soon. They got mangascans though, and that's where I read them.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:26 am

Ah... Scanlations... The manga equivalent of fansubs...

Is Wizzu just a fansub company? They made it look like they made it... Oh well... Forget I said anything, good think I didn't provide a link...
Bobtheduck

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews