Thank-you for My Neighbor Totoro!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Thank-you for My Neighbor Totoro!

Postby Negotiatrix » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:45 pm

Thanks to those who suggested this movie for my kids! They LOVED it! So did I as a matter of fact. And b/c of it my 8yo actually ate EEL (bleck!) and sushi! He wanted to try Japanese food, and this from a kid who previously ate only things that are fried and can be dipped in ketchup!! :grin:

I've heard that Warriors of the Wind is actually a heavily edited version of another Miyazaki movie. Anyone know the name of the original one? I saw Warriors of the Wind years ago and liked it. I'd like to get ahold of the original version now.
Negotiatrix

Postby nekomi » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:00 pm

Hehe! ^_^ Glad you all liked Totoro, it's an absolutely beautiful movie. ^___^

"Warriors of the Wind" is the title of a butchered edit/dub of Miyazaki's early 1980's film Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. ^_^ If you'd like to find out more information about the original film, check out
nausicaa.net . ^_^

The site is entirely devoted to all of Miyazaki's works, including Totoro, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, and others. ^__^ Nearly all of his films are suitable for both children and adults, and I would be pleased to give a short review or answer questions about any of his domestic releases if anyone's interested! ^_^

At current, the movies released here (and the ones I have information on) in the US through the Disney-Tokuma licensing deal are:

Princess Mononoke (PG-13, not for kids ^^)
My Neighbor Totoro (G)
Kiki's Delivery Service (G, I think ^^)
Castle in the Sky (Again, pretty sure it's a G)
Spirited Away (Some scary moments and a little blood, but still a PG)

Nausicaa and Porco Rosso are next on the roster for Disney, I believe. ^_^
nekomi

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:45 am

Glad that you liked Totoro. It is a great family feature. Since you liked that one let me recommend to you another great title that has just been released. It is call "Junkers Come Here." It's about a young girl and her dog by the name of Junkers. As she faces many of the problems of life (pesky boys, her crush on her tutor, and the impending seperation of her parents and possible divorce) she relies on the company of her faithful friend, who by the way can talk and has the ability to grant three wishes. It's a cute little watch and again, family friendly. My kids love it.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby EireWolf » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:13 pm

Yay! :jump: I'm glad you and your kids liked Totoro. I love it too.
EireWolf

Postby Kenchii » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:02 pm

Grave of the Fireflies is another great film by SG. I recommend it for 7+.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:54 pm

Ah Totoro!

Hey let's go! Hey let's go!

I have to admit, I liked it better subtitled than dubed, but if it got your kid to eat sushi then rock on!
Mithrandir

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews