Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Lilac#18 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Any shojo anime with science fiction? like,from '95 to recent? preferably between 2000 and now.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby EricTheFred » Sun May 18, 2008 10:57 pm

Not easy. Shoujo speculative tends to run to fantasy rather than sci-fi.

"Darkside Blues" is considered Shoujo, but the manga was apparently better than the movie (and there is no TV series.) I thought the movie (all I've seen) was very random, which usually happens when they try to stuff too much of the manga into one feature length film.

"Revolutionary Girl Utena" is definitely Shoujo and definitely Sci-Fi. This story has uncomfortable elements, but I know it has a lot of fans on CAA.

"Doomed Megalopolis" shows up on lists of Shoujo. I wasn't too impressed with it, either, but I didn't see the whole thing. It's an OVA.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether "Escaflowne" is Sci-Fi or Fantasy. The only thing I can say for sure is, it is the only definitively Shoujo Super-Robot series I'm aware of. And, it is pretty darned good stuff.

Just barely within your time-range is "Magic Knight Rayearth" which is also marginally sci-fi, but principally fantasy. It gets much more sci-fi in season 2. Liked it enough I have two seasons worth in my DVD collection.

"Maze"... is it shoujo or shounen? Not sure. Is it sci-fi or fantasy? Mostly fantasy, but it has sci-fi-esque features. If it is shoujo, though, it is another shoujo giant robot title of sorts. Also kinda uncomfortable (the constant lesbian innuendo is the one thing that causes me to think it isn't truly shoujo. That might be counterintuitive, and runs contrary to 'Utena', but it's a completely different sort of thing in Maze. Much more like fanservice, frankly, and that is a hallmark of Shounen.)

"Tokyo Babylon" - normally considered Shoujo, but very in between in my opinion. OVA series which is way too short. They could have done so much with this.

"Please Save My Earth" - out of your time range, but good stuff.

I would consider the movie "The Girl Who LeaptThrough Time" to be Shoujo.

I'm out. Anyone else have less marginal suggestions?
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks, EricTheFred, I''ll check them out.:)
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 24, 2008 4:44 am

Darkside Blue sucked if you want a second opinion :D Not only was it boring it made absolutely no sense. You'll be looking like this at the end --> :eh:

While I'm here... I loved Air TV... mostly the way it was put together and told the story. I thought it was beautiful. It was like a fairy tale but more "realistic" but still fantasy.. kinda... kinda hard to explain. And I think I liked the "quest" aspect. I like stories where a character is on a quest for something though they're not sure how or where and the mystery keeps you interested. Something like that would be cool. Doesn't have to sad or whatever but something where someone is searching for something... imaginative story though. Nothing boring or really realistic.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby EricTheFred » Sat May 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1229191) wrote:Darkside Blue sucked if you want a second opinion :D Not only was it boring it made absolutely no sense. You'll be looking like this at the end --> :eh:

Yeah, I guess when I said it was 'very random', I was understating matters a bit.

Although I'm not sure I would have said 'boring', that's of course a matter of taste. Admittedly, perhaps I was too busy trying to figure out what in heck was going on to have a chance to be bored. At any rate, I agree with the rest, and I'm pretty sure I did look a little like that at the end.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 24, 2008 10:24 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1229191) wrote:While I'm here... I loved Air TV... mostly the way it was put together and told the story. I thought it was beautiful. It was like a fairy tale but more "realistic" but still fantasy.. kinda... kinda hard to explain. And I think I liked the "quest" aspect. I like stories where a character is on a quest for something though they're not sure how or where and the mystery keeps you interested. Something like that would be cool. Doesn't have to sad or whatever but something where someone is searching for something... imaginative story though. Nothing boring or really realistic.

Kino's. Journey.
Fish and Chips

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Ah excellent! Sounds like just what I was looking for in tone and story (based off the review here and what I read about it on WikiPedia)! Thanks!
Scarecrow

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1229191) wrote:Darkside Blue sucked if you want a second opinion :D Not only was it boring it made absolutely no sense. You'll be looking like this at the end --> :eh:

While I'm here... I loved Air TV... mostly the way it was put together and told the story. I thought it was beautiful. It was like a fairy tale but more "realistic" but still fantasy.. kinda... kinda hard to explain. And I think I liked the "quest" aspect. I like stories where a character is on a quest for something though they're not sure how or where and the mystery keeps you interested. Something like that would be cool. Doesn't have to sad or whatever but something where someone is searching for something... imaginative story though. Nothing boring or really realistic.

Thanks Scarecrow, I'll check Air TV.:)
FKA Selenite

Lilac#18

Postby Aleolus » Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 am

Hey, all. I'm looking for some good series to check out, can anyone make some reccomendations? What I'm wanting at the moment are good, supernatural romantic comedies, with a reasonable balance between action and adventure. Examples would be Inukami, Rosario Vampire, and Kanokon. Anyone have any suggestions?
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby EricTheFred » Fri May 30, 2008 11:59 am

Aleolus (post: 1231284) wrote:Hey, all. I'm looking for some good series to check out, can anyone make some reccomendations? What I'm wanting at the moment are good, supernatural romantic comedies, with a reasonable balance between action and adventure. Examples would be Inukami, Rosario Vampire, and Kanokon. Anyone have any suggestions?

There's one on the .jp air right now called "Wagaya no Oinari-sama" that ought to work well for you. I think a fairly recent one called "Oh! Edo Rocket" also works. Also, seen "Seto no Hanayome" yet?

So far we haven't mentioned anything licensed at all, of course. Thought I should point that out. A couple licensed ones that might be good fits:

"Moon Phase"
"Oh, My Goddess"

And on the ancient side, there is always "Slayers" and "Orphen".

Trying to remember if "Princess Resurrection" is US-released on video yet. The manga is available here (and very funny.)

EricTheFred

Postby Aleolus » Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Ah, Slayers. Wonderful series. I've also seen some of Moon Phase and want to get more of it.

Any series that fit the above description and have cat/dog/other-type-of-animal girls in them?

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby EricTheFred » Fri May 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Aleolus (post: 1231317) wrote:Any series that fit the above description and have cat/dog/other-type-of-animal girls in them?

"Tokyo Mew-Mew" is the most obvious, I guess. If you saw the 4Kids hack-job called "Mew-Mew Power", then you only think you saw "Tokyo Mew-Mew".

Two of the series I already mentioned have them. "Wagaya no Oinari-sama" revolves around a neutral-gender fox-spirit who usually wears a human disguise. Most of the time female, and she occasionally has the ears or even ears+tail. A lesser used male disguise also shows up, never with ears or tail that I have seen.

"Oh! Edo Rocket" has a dog-girl. You may not recognized that's what she is at first, but you'll pick up on it quickly. She is one of the most endearing characters in the show, too.

"Angel Tails" is popular enough in Japan that it got at least oblique references in both the "Lucky Star" anime and the "Sgt. Frog" manga, but I wasn't too enchanted. It seemed very cliche to me.

"Cat Girl Nuku Nuku" and "Geobreeders" don't fit your other parameters, but might be of interest if you haven't seen them.

Actually, come to think of it, "Seto no Hanayome" has them too, since a large number of the characters are Mer-people.

EricTheFred

Postby Aleolus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 pm

What can you all tell me about a series called Tokyo Underground? I've seen the first portion of it, and it looks good, but I'm wondering if it's worth finishing.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby GeneD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:52 am

I need a recommendation for my sister. She doesn't like unhappy endings and definately prefers ending where the guy gets the girl. She doesn't mind violence around the level of the Bleach anime. In fact she likes something with some action or suspence, but complains that these stories hardly ever has someone getting together with someone at the end. So if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:37 am

GeneD (post: 1234201) wrote:I need a recommendation for my sister. She doesn't like unhappy endings and definately prefers ending where the guy gets the girl. She doesn't mind violence around the level of the Bleach anime. In fact she likes something with some action or suspence, but complains that these stories hardly ever has someone getting together with someone at the end. So if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

D.N.Angel ... probably the few I've seen where the guy does get the girl and they don't die afterwards or something. Excellent series too. One of my favorites. It's a little slow, lots of character development but I really like the last 1/3. Overall it has a happy ending and the guy gets the girl. Nice blend of fantasy, romance, comedy and action.
Scarecrow

Postby PokettoKunoichi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Here's a good, clean magical girl like anime some of you may like: Fushigi Boshi No Futago Hime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futago_Hime

It's a really cute anime that seems to be aimed toward a younger crowd, but it's still enjoyable. ^_^

:) Remember, if Jesus is in your life, that all of Heaven is waiting for you. :)
PokettoKunoichi

Postby Elycien » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:55 pm

GeneD (post: 1234201) wrote:I need a recommendation for my sister. She doesn't like unhappy endings and definately prefers ending where the guy gets the girl. She doesn't mind violence around the level of the Bleach anime. In fact she likes something with some action or suspence, but complains that these stories hardly ever has someone getting together with someone at the end. So if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Eureka 7. I've not finished it yet, but from what I heard it's got a happy ending with closure to at least two of the major pairings, and there's a lot of action - more mecha-type action than Bleach/Naruto martial arts action, though.

ImageImageImageImageImage
My dragons ^^ Please click!
Elycien

Postby GeneD » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 am

Elycien (post: 1236835) wrote:Eureka 7. I've not finished it yet, but from what I heard it's got a happy ending with closure to at least two of the major pairings, and there's a lot of action - more mecha-type action than Bleach/Naruto martial arts action, though.
Eureka 7. Good suggestion. I've actually seen it myself and I totally forgot about it, thanks.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby smartyetstupud » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:43 am

I've been having a really hard time choosing a good anime series to watch next. I want to watch one that isn't too long (50 eps or less). Here are the series that I've watched and really like. I hope this can help you recommend something for me. I've been considering watching Soul Eater but haven't decided.

Bleach
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Fate/Stay Night
FLCL
Fruits Basket
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Ouran High School Host Club
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
smartyetstupud

Postby KBMaster » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 am

Hmm, you might like Witch Hunter Robin. It's a more serious anime, but it's really good.
Scrapped Princess is a good action comedy.
Azumanga Daioh is HILARIOUS.

I think the first two have reviews in the reviews section.
KBMaster

Postby smartyetstupud » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:25 am

Actually... I watched the first episode of Azumanga Daioh once... and I thought it was really funny... XD

Thanks!!! I think I might just start watching that... and I'll look into the other ones... ^^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
smartyetstupud

Postby FukuokaGirl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:28 am

Hey guys! I need some help in finding a new series to get into.
I'm looking for an rather deep storyline, tragic romance, heavy themes. (I basically need a good cry hahaha) Mahou elements are fine, and so are science-fiction types. Historical settings are welcome too. I'm going to share some titles that have the same "feel' to them that I'm looking for.
(definitely not all the anime I've seen haha)
Saikano
Cowboy Bebop
Basilisk
Noein
Trinity Blood (until the sucky ending)
Ayashi no Ceres
x/1999

I'm not too picky about more mature themes... I'm pretty hard to offend basically haha.
Anyway, any anime series that runs in the same veins as those would be welcomed. I prefer English subs, but can manage without. I torrent or stream anime... uuuhh...and length of series doesn't bother me.
Soooo those are some pretty open standards.. just let me know some good titles please.
"They do exist, the places you can live renewed." -Nobuta wo Produce
[align=left]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[align=center]思い出せば遙か遙か 未来はどこまでも輝いてた きれいな青空の下で 僕らは少しだけ怯えていた

[/align]
[/align]
[size=75]

[/SIZE]
FukuokaGirl

Postby KBMaster » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:00 pm

FukuokaGirl (post: 1239902) wrote:Hey guys! I need some help in finding a new series to get into.
I'm looking for an rather deep storyline, tragic romance, heavy themes. (I basically need a good cry hahaha) Mahou elements are fine, and so are science-fiction types. Historical settings are welcome too. I'm going to share some titles that have the same "feel' to them that I'm looking for.
Saikano
Cowboy Bebop
Basilisk
Noein
Ayashi no Ceres
x/1999

I'm not too picky about more mature themes... I'm pretty hard to offend basically haha.
Anyway, any anime series that runs in the same veins as those would be welcomed. I prefer English subs, but can manage without. I torrent or stream anime... uuuhh...and length of series doesn't bother me.
Soooo those are some pretty open standards.. just let me know some good titles please.

You might like Blood +. It's not really big on the "tragic romance" thing(well, kinda), but it's definitely deep and it definitely has some heavy themes. It's my all-time favorite anime and I teared up several times.

Another you may want to check out is Noir. Heavy themes, with spectacular music to boot.
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:06 pm

FukuokaGirl (post: 1239902) wrote:Hey guys! I need some help in finding a new series to get into.
Saikano
Cowboy Bebop
Basilisk
Noein
Ayashi no Ceres
x/1999

tragic romance, deep storylines, and heavy themes...well...i would recommend Berserk but more so the manga than the anime since the manga goes MUCH more deep than the anime does. very graphic series though...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Okay, so guys, I'm looking for some magical boy animes I might like. Magical girl's fine too, so long as it isn't one of the extremely girly ones.

Some anime/manga with magical boys/girls that I'm currently liking are...

Tsubasa: Resovior Chronicle
Cardcaptors
Princess Tutu
D.N.Angel
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch (Okay, so I didn't like it much the first time I saw it, but it kinda grew on me, mainly because it's hard for me to put something down until I know how it ends lol. It's not my favorite but it's something to watch.)

I'm also looking to expand my viewing options, since most of the things I've seen that I like are either magical girl/boy or something with a similar theme like Pokemon and Angelic Layer. I haven't found videos of all the ones I was recommended before on youtube (maybe I should look harder) but I've looked into them and a few sound really cool.

Some authors that I like that aren't mangakas are Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker, Stephenie Meyer, and C.S. Lewis. If you could find any animes that have similar themes when compared to these author's works, that would be great too. :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Someone asked for an anime recommendation, but was put in the wrong pace ^^; I forgot who it was, but they asked for a comedy ^^

I would recommend "School Rumble". It's lulable XDD

To me anyway xDD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:23 pm

Saikano
Cowboy Bebop
Basilisk
Noein
Ayashi no Ceres
x/1999

Have you seen Air? It's not a romance exactly... There is a friendship between a guy and a girl but not romantic. He's a bit old for her anyway. But it sure does have a sad ending. It's, IMO, one of the most beautiful anime series I think I've ever seen both visually and the way the story is told. Anyway if you haven't seen it yet I HIGHLEY recommend it if youre looking for good story, excellent art, good dubbing and a good cry. It's only 12 episodes but its great IMO. (theres actually 15 episodes but 13-15 are just extras. 13 is a recap of the whole series and 14-15 is an expansion of a side plot but added nothing new)
Scarecrow

Postby Fio » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:28 am

Hey! I have two questions regarding anime.
1. I have just read FMA and Naruto manga, and thought of watching the anime. Now the only thing that is stopping me from doing that is a tiny fear of not being able to avoid comparing the two, and getting disappointed. So would someone please help me with this childish situation?
2. What would you recommend for me to watch/ read after FMA, Naruto, Bleach? (this isn't all, but it sure is the best!)
Fio

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Fio (post: 1242631) wrote:Hey! I have two questions regarding anime.
1. I have just read FMA and Naruto manga, and thought of watching the anime. Now the only thing that is stopping me from doing that is a tiny fear of not being able to avoid comparing the two, and getting disappointed. So would someone please help me with this childish situation?
2. What would you recommend for me to watch/ read after FMA, Naruto, Bleach? (this isn't all, but it sure is the best!)

1.> I'm not a good one to answer this, as I was disappointed in both anime. I thought the manga were better. But, my kids love both. So, it may be a generational thing. I don't know why the one worked for me and the other didn't. (Same thing happened for me with One Piece.)

2> You need to lighten up: Sergeant Frog!

Okay, serious answer: I'm sure I can give you a longer list later, but right now I'm just on coffee break. Anyhow, after reading the list 'FMA, Naruto, Bleach' the first title that popped into my head was "Busou Renkin". I'm not sure the anime has been done in English yet, but the Manga is on the bookstore shelves now.

EricTheFred

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 pm

EricTheFred wrote:Anyhow, after reading the list 'FMA, Naruto, Bleach' the first title that popped into my head was "Busou Renkin". I'm not sure the anime has been done in English yet, but the Manga is on the bookstore shelves now.

Half of it is, Viz release a dub/sub 13 episode box set on April 29 of this year. The other 13 episode box set will be release on Oct 7 and MSRP for both sets is $49.98.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews