Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah, okay. Will do, thanks for everything. :3
AngelicTotoro

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:52 pm

(decided not to watch lodoss, mostly because of the crystal ball/lady and some of the spell casting, everything else wasn't even an issue. whatever, I'll forever love the ending and opening credits though.)

However, watching those two episodes made my want to watch some 90's fantasy anime that wouldn't be as objectionable as Lodoss, something more like Esacflowne would be nice actually.
(but with that nice, rich 90's animation.)
Any recommendations?
AngelicTotoro

Postby SierraLea » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Anyone know something that could hold a candle to FMAB plotline? I am hoping from series to series because I can't find anything good, that I haven't already watched.
SierraLea

Postby LastLfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:53 am

Well i haven't seen FMAB but No.6 is a good short anime with stellar plot, has a dub and sub version. Sub available on crunchyroll.
LastLfan

Postby SierraLea » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 pm

LastLfan wrote:Well i haven't seen FMAB but No.6 is a good short anime with stellar plot, has a dub and sub version. Sub available on crunchyroll.

I HIGHLY recommend it. No. 6 sounds good, I'll try it.
SierraLea

Postby Kaori » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:20 pm

AngelicTotoro wrote:(decided not to watch lodoss, mostly because of the crystal ball/lady and some of the spell casting, everything else wasn't even an issue. whatever, I'll forever love the ending and opening credits though.)

However, watching those two episodes made my want to watch some 90's fantasy anime that wouldn't be as objectionable as Lodoss, something more like Esacflowne would be nice actually.
(but with that nice, rich 90's animation.)
Any recommendations?

I totally understand what you mean about liking that 90s animation style, because I also really love that style. However, there really just is not a whole lot of fantasy anime from the 90s that is any good (sci-fi is a different story).

I really wish I could recommend the Heroic Legend of Prince Arslan to you; however, in the first episode there are a few brief scenes of an evil sorcerer using a crystal ball and a hexagram, so to be honest you would probably be uncomfortable with Arslan in the exact same way as you are with Lodoss. I don’t remember there being much magic in the series at all, but it’s been a very long time since I watched the whole thing, so I can’t say for sure.

Haibane Renmei and 12 Kingdoms are both excellent fantasy series that would probably be totally fine for you in terms of content, but those are both from the early 2000s. If you’re willing to go a few years earlier than the 90s, Angel’s Egg (Tenshi no Tamago) is a heavily symbolic OVA with excellent artwork, and Night on the Galactic Railroad is something I haven’t seen but have heard good things about.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby LastLfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:09 pm

SierraLea wrote:
LastLfan wrote:Well i haven't seen FMAB but No.6 is a good short anime with stellar plot, has a dub and sub version. Sub available on crunchyroll.

I HIGHLY recommend it. No. 6 sounds good, I'll try it.

Ya i definitely will watch one of the full metal shows at some point
LastLfan

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 pm

SierraLea wrote:Anyone know something that could hold a candle to FMAB plotline? I am hoping from series to series because I can't find anything good, that I haven't already watched.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes easily. Monster has a "slow" feel that many people dislike but its plot is top tier; it spends a lot of time developing/explaining the story rather than "exciting" things happening.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby PandaPop » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:15 am

My sister wants to watch an anime with me but I'm not sure what to watch with her maybe you guys can help me out! She has only seen the first season of DBZ and howls moving castle and she enjoyed them both very much, I tied Trigun on her but its starts off too slow so she lost interest. I like all different kinds of anime so I don't know what direction to go in with her. All I know is she would like, Action/Romance, light comedy but not a lot of fanservice, epic battle scenes or like romantic battle scenes like save the girl lol, nothing too long definitely no more than 50 episodes preferably less, language isn't a big problem as long as its not overboard. Idk though you guys can stray from these a little too, shes new to anime so maybe some shows you guys have tried on other newbies :)
PandaPop

Postby LastLfan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:08 am

Well as a kid i watched stuff like pokemon and yugioh(still do!) but the first time i actually sat down and went through a whole anime was death note which does not seem like something she would like. An older one that you can get online from target is robotech the macross saga. I know some people have mixed feelings toward this show but i personally enjoy it. It doesn't really have much fanservice from what I've seen and definitely fits the action/light romance category BUT it is from the 80's i think so the graphics aren't great and it can be a tad cheesy, i thought it moved a little slow a first but by episode 4-5ish it gets good however it is longer than 50 eps but at least season one is only 25ish
LastLfan

Postby PandaPop » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:55 am

Yeah I like Death Note but I think she would find it depressing lol. Okay cool though that sounds like it could be good, I'll have to check it out and see if it seems like something she'd like Thank You!
PandaPop

Postby LastLfan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:33 am

No prob, also I'm not sure how old she is or if have cable but if you have DVR you could record the shows on toonami. Most are action-y but I have only seen all of SAO which you have as well. They also show inuyasha which she might like if she enjoyed DBZ, however I have no idea about content. Also found out today you can buy episodes of robotech on amazon instant video
LastLfan

Postby PandaPop » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:49 am

Yeah I was thinking about recording something on toonami, I made her watch an episode of bleach but it was so late in the show she had no idea of the awesomeness she was witnessing lol. Inuyasha could be a good one too!
PandaPop

Postby LastLfan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 am

Ya i saw an episode of bleach once and told my friend, worst idea ever, he had already seen all 366 episodes and always holds it over my head that he knows what happens and that I need to finish, now that he started watching the sao dub it's MY turn :) but ya anything shonen like that would be great. It's a little strange at first but there is this new show called B-Daman crossfire on, its very much like cardfight vanguard in terms of art style and tone, its a very tournament anime and a tab kiddish, but its probably the most sophisticated one that's dubbed
LastLfan

Postby Candle7 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Um, I stumbled across Blood Lad and I was wondering what the content is in it. Language, sex/nudity, fanservice, and the like. Thanks
"Lay off, I'm as normal as they come and this is a contest of freaks. What do you want me to do, fire my slingshot at him?" -Maes Hughes
"I already told you, A FIST IN HIS FACE!!" -Edward Elric
"Don't call me small! I'll break off your feet and stick em on your head!" -Edward Elric and me (though I'm not going to do anything violent)
Candle7

Postby GeneD » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 am

@Candle7 Blood Lad has a fair amount of fanservice and innuendo and at least 2 counts, that I remember, of strategically covered nudity (one in the first episode), I'd probably rate it a 4, maybe a 5 on our current rating system. I don't remember specifics about the language, although I can say it's not completely clean. The violence is probably no worse than something like FMA: Brotherhood.

EDIT: If you've seen the first episode, that's about the upper limit of what you can expect for the rest in terms of fanservice content.
GeneD

Postby scribbledreamer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm looking for romance/drama animes. I loved Clannad and Clannad After Story, and just finished Special A, which I also really enjoyed. Anything from drama to just light-heated romance and comedy is great. My main concerns are heavy spiritual overtones (demons, spells, and all that...) and fanservice/nudity/sexual situations. Any recommendations would be great. :)
Last edited by scribbledreamer on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scribbledreamer

Postby Candle7 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:14 pm

What about the demon stuff? I mean, I watched Inuyasha and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, but is it like Black Butler with Sebastian-like demons being portrayed as good? If they're just vampires/werewolves I don't really mind, but...if fallen angels are "good" I don't want to watch it. Sorry for all of the questions :sweat:
"Lay off, I'm as normal as they come and this is a contest of freaks. What do you want me to do, fire my slingshot at him?" -Maes Hughes
"Don't call me small! I'll break off your feet and stick em on your head!" -Edward Elric and me (though I'm not going to do anything violent)
Candle7

Postby SierraLea » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:47 pm

I finished the Scrapped Princess. It was pretty good with some interesting questions, but that ending was just too easy. Why does everyone find the need to end with all their important characters intact? The best ones are the ones where not everyone is just fine after going through something like that last fight. That's why I love things like Hiccup losing his foot in How To Train Your Dragon and the fate of Romeo and Juliet. I realize it's not for everyone, but I HATE unrealistic endings like that.
SierraLea

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm

scribbledreamer wrote:I'm looking for romance/drama animes. I loved Clannad and Clannad After Story, and just finished Special A, which I also really enjoyed. Anything from drama to just light-heated romance and comedy is great. My main concerns are heavy spiritual overtones (demons, spells, and all that...) and fanservice/nudity/sexual situations. Any recommendations would be great. :)

I suppose with Clannad the go-to recs are Air and Kanon 2006, all written by the same guy/produced by the same people, though Clannad: AS is considered the best.

other recs:
Honey and Clover
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Nobura Sora
ef a Tale of Memories/Melodies (does have a little fanservice/sexual situations and has a few dialogues about god that might be offensive but it's one of the best romance dramas out there)
True Tears
Bungaku Shoujo (movie)
Lovely Complex
Nodame Cantabile (especially if you like classical music, and even more so if piano)
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby scribbledreamer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:55 am

^Awesome! Thank you!

I actually started watching ef: A Tale of Memories a while back, and was really into it, until about episode three, when there was randomly this full screen picture of a nude couple. (I think. I didn't stay on it for very long....) But yeah, it had a great story line, especially with the girl suffering from memory loss.
scribbledreamer

Postby Vii » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

scribbledreamer wrote:I'm looking for romance/drama animes. I loved Clannad and Clannad After Story, and just finished Special A, which I also really enjoyed. Anything from drama to just light-heated romance and comedy is great. My main concerns are heavy spiritual overtones (demons, spells, and all that...) and fanservice/nudity/sexual situations. Any recommendations would be great. :)

Kimi ni Todoke - Romance and adorableness.

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) - Drama and romance and jazz music.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Romantic comedy.

AnoHana - Drama and tears with a hint of romance.

Say "I Love You" - Romance and some drama.

Romeo x Juliet - Drama and romance and some action.

Also seconding Lovely Complex and Nodame Cantabile.
Vii

Postby GeneD » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:50 am

@scribbledreamer I second Kids on the Slope and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Candle7 wrote:What about the demon stuff? I mean, I watched Inuyasha and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, but is it like Black Butler with Sebastian-like demons being portrayed as good? If they're just vampires/werewolves I don't really mind, but...if fallen angels are "good" I don't want to watch it. Sorry for all of the questions :sweat:

Well it's set in what's called the demon world, but so far (ep 8 out of 10) there hasn't been any actual demons per se. They're all what I'd rather call monsters: vampire, werewolf, ghost, zombie, Frankenstein's monster. Lots of them can use magic of some kind or another but it's not elaborated on how that works except that not everyone can use the same kinds of magic and obviously some people have stronger magic than others. Most of the main characters are portrayed as kinda good, idk, the whole cast are more like a bunch of anti-heroes, not the dark/moody kind, the kind that all want something and are basically just hanging around people that can help further their own goals. No angels, fallen or otherwise, have yet made their appearance.
GeneD

Postby scribbledreamer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:00 am

Great; thanks! I'll definitely check those out!

Also, does anyone know anything about Maid Sama? I heard it was a lot like Special A, but can't find out much about it content-wise.
scribbledreamer

Postby Candle7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 pm

@GeneD: Thanks! I will probably watch it now...monsters aren't that big of a deal to me.

@scribbledreamer: I have seen Maid-sama! and my entire family enjoyed it thoroughly. It has a really good romance and it is hilarious. Their are some mild sexual situations SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a scene when Misaki is being stalked by these guys and they tie her up and talk about unsavory things. Nothing happens.There are also the ways that Takumi teaches his lessons. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: In order to stop Misaki from wearing a very revealing bikini onto the beach, he gives her a spot on her back so that she would be forced to wear a shirt. It's stuff like that throughout. For the most part, there isn't very much and most of the time it is Takumi teaching a lesson to prevent Misaki from doing things (innocent in her eyes but for guys who are on the perverted side, not so much) and also giving the audience an idea of why girls should dress modestly.

So, it is a good show that teaches pretty decent lessons about modesty...but it also has some stuff that might be iffy to you. It does remind me a lot of Special A.

Sorry for the long response :sweat: and I second Kimi ni Todoke and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.
Candle7

Postby scribbledreamer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:42 pm

^Thanks! I'll probably watch it, then. :)
scribbledreamer

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Candle7 wrote:@scribbledreamer: I have seen Maid-sama! and my entire family enjoyed it thoroughly. It has a really good romance and it is hilarious. Their are some mild sexual situations SPOILER: Highlight text to read: a scene when Misaki is being stalked by these guys and they tie her up and talk about unsavory things. Nothing happens.There are also the ways that Takumi teaches his lessons. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: In order to stop Misaki from wearing a very revealing bikini onto the beach, he gives her a spot on her back so that she would be forced to wear a shirt. It's stuff like that throughout. For the most part, there isn't very much and most of the time it is Takumi teaching a lesson to prevent Misaki from doing things (innocent in her eyes but for guys who are on the perverted side, not so much) and also giving the audience an idea of why girls should dress modestly.

That is friggin' creepy.

It is creepy and wrong that Misaki, who is more than five years old (I hope!), is considered incapable of dressing herself and must be "taught lessons" about it. It is creepy that Takumi tries to stop her from wearing a particular piece of clothing by marking her body in such a way that she'd rather cover it up. It's extremely creepy that that kind of thing happens "throughout" the show. Most of all it is creepy and awful that Misaki is forced by Takumi to stop wearing things she likes (for innocent reasons) so that perverted guys don't... look at her? lust? Find her attractive? Why should she be forced to take responsibility for that? Coming from her (I assume) love interest, this sounds like creepy, jealousy-driven manipulation. And coming from anyone, this kind of thinking is a very very short leap from placing blame on the victims in cases of rape, stalking, sexual harrasment, etc..

It's creepy that kind of show was made and it's a thousand times creepier that it was considered particularly recommendable because of it. Creepy creepy.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Candle7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:23 pm

I am very sorry, Fu, if I made it sound like I supported every little "creepy" thing that happened in the show. I don't. There is no reason to mark a person to prevent them from wearing a showy bikini. And I most certainly did not intend to make it sound like I was placing the blame on victims of rape, etc. The only thing I was meaning to say was that it is important to dress modestly to help prevent things like rape, stalking, and sexual harassment. Now this doesn't have anything to do with some cases and it is a very terrible thing that makes me sick to my stomach.
I spent a really long time trying to find a way to reply and the best thing I can say is to watch the show. If you still have the same view, please tell me, and I will reexamine myself and do a lot of praying (I do that anyway) so as not to recommend something that should not be watched.
Sorry again for making it appear that I supported creepiness.
Candle7

Postby Davidizer13 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Candle7 wrote:The only thing I was meaning to say was that it is important to dress modestly to help prevent things like rape, stalking, and sexual harassment.

If a woman wears something that I think is too revealing or might draw me into temptation, that's my problem, not her's, and the responsibility is on me to control my own behavior instead of trying to control hers. Plus, the way you've put it, us guys turn into insatiable lust machines who have no control over our actions when we see exposed skin. It's the stalker's fault when someone gets stalked, not the fault of a victim, regardless of what the victim was wearing, because the stalker could have chosen at any time to stop what they were doing before it became criminal, and yet did not.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled anime recommendation thread, already in progress.

If you haven't seen Giant Robo yet, you might want to do that, and that goes for all y'all.
Davidizer13

Postby Candle7 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:24 pm

I understand. I did not mean to make it sound that way. Sorry.
Candle7

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews