Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: Anime Recommendations Thread

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Seconding D.N.Angel. The story isn't incredibly well done, but I truly love this show despite its shortcomings. And I would highly suggest the manga, as well.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby skreyola » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Candle7: Most of those are things I've seen or plan to see, so you might enjoy some of the things I have. You might like Bamboo Blade, Nanaka 6/17, Hanasaku Iroha, or some of the others highly rated on my MAL list.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Candle7 wrote:Hello! I am new here and was looking for new anime to watch that are TV-14 or under. Nudity/sex is a no, unless the nudity is undetailed like in Inuyasha and brief, language preferably infrequent and certainly no f-bombs or gd's. Violence isn't an issue and nothing like Black Butler religion-wise, please. Here are a few I've seen:
FMA/FMA: Brotherhood
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Fruits Basket
Death Note
Detective Conan
Kimi ni Todoke

Sorry for being picky about all of this *bows*.

I'm not sure if you're looking for anything specific as far as plot/genre goes (mecha, slice of life, magical girl, romance, fighting shonen, etc.), but you do seem to be looking for "clean" shows based on the criteria listed, so I'll try giving you the "cleanest" shows I know (and have finished, so I know they stay that way)...

Angelic Layer

D.N.Angel (I haven't watched Black Butler yet, even though it is on my radar, so I'm not sure what exactly you mean by the religious content - there is magic in this, but "angels" are mentioned because the beings literally look like angels; religion isn't touched on very much at all, and Christianity isn't even mentioned, so you don't have to worry about that)

Princess Tutu

There are a few others I'd like to mention, but since I'm not sure what you're talking about with religious content, I'm unsure if you'd be interested. Cardcaptor Sakura is fairly clean, but it's a magical girl anime with a few (vague) references to the occult (there's one scene where the cards are used like tarot cards, but the rest is really open for interpretation), and there are a few homosexual references scattered throughout the anime if that's going to be a problem (nothing outright, but a few things are stated... would elaborate but it'd give a few spoilers). Tsubasa Chronicle is another good one that's mostly clean - in much the same way with the few vague references to the occult, but nothing beyond that that I'm aware of. I only watched the full first season and one Tsubasa Chronicle movie, though, because I found out later on that you can't get the full story without turning to the manga, so I simply continued the manga.

If you liked FMA or Death Note, then you probably won't have any issue with the "religious" references in the anime I mentioned above. They're nowhere near as elaborated on or in-depth as the references in those two are.

***EDIT TO ADD THIS***

ClaecElric4God wrote:Seconding D.N.Angel. The story isn't incredibly well done, but I truly love this show despite its shortcomings. And I would highly suggest the manga, as well.

Oh yes, the manga most definitely! I love the manga. Unfortunately, it was published by the now (mostly) defunct Tokyopop. :( At least the last published volume in English completed the most recent (complete) story arc. Here's to hoping it gets relicensed!!!
mysngoeshere56

Postby Candle7 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks so much! I have seen D.N.Angel and loved it! Dark Mousy is epic! Nanaka 6/17 sounds interesting and I will certainly give it a try. I didn't mention Tsubasa because like mysngoeshere56, I read and finished the manga. Definitely an amazing series though.
Once more, thanks for you guys' help!
"Lay off, I'm as normal as they come and this is a contest of freaks. What do you want me to do, fire my slingshot at him?" -Maes Hughes
"I already told you, A FIST IN HIS FACE!!" -Edward Elric
"Don't call me small! I'll break off your feet and stick em on your head!" -Edward Elric and me (though I'm not going to do anything violent)
Candle7

Postby Kaori » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:59 am

Haibane Renmei – A complex story with a message about sin and redemption with symbolism that harmonizes somewhat (though not entirely) with Christianity.

Anything by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.)

Anything by Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl who Leapt through Time, Summer Wars, Ookami Kodomo Ame to Yuki)

Anything by Makoto Shinkai (Voice of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters per Second, etc.)

Millennium Actress – The story of an actress’s life, told through the movies she made, which span a variety of genres and historical periods, and her search for a WWII revolutionary she met when she was a child.

Aside from some occasional violence in Princess Mononoke, everything else listed here is extremely clean.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

I've been wanting to watch an anime but I am in a really weird picky mood so I can't find any that would hold my interest. D:
I want to watch something really cute and fluffy but I can't find any that I have not already seen since there is not that much children's anime I guess and the rest is generally not going to be about cute fluffy stuff.
Stuff I have seen already:
All of Studio Ghibli's
The girl who jumped through time
Usagi Drop
Erin
Snow fairy Sugar
Todoke ni kimi
DecooPunk

Postby skreyola » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 pm

DecooPunk: Things that popped into my mind reading your post were Pretty Cure and Sasami: Magical Girl's Club.
PreCure isn't especially fluffy, when I think about it, but your opinion may differ.
Sasami is a little darker, if memory serves, but no darker than Beast Player Erin, and in smaller doses at one time than that show.
Also, Full Moon wo Sagashite, which is very cute and fluffy in spite of a rather heavy premise.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

skreyola wrote:DecooPunk: Things that popped into my mind reading your post were Pretty Cure and Sasami: Magical Girl's Club.
PreCure isn't especially fluffy, when I think about it, but your opinion may differ.
Sasami is a little darker, if memory serves, but no darker than Beast Player Erin, and in smaller doses at one time than that show.
Also, Full Moon wo Sagashite, which is very cute and fluffy in spite of a rather heavy premise.

Ah, thank you for the recommendations n_n
I will be sure to check them all out.
DecooPunk

Postby little.gun.nut » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm

What are some good anime to watch that are cute, funny, and do not have a lot of language?
Words are beasts. Chains can be used for more than tying down. They can be used to connect, and tie together. Looking forward and speaking positively makes all the difference. -Yuuko Ichihara (xxxHolic)

Do you think you could tell me what true strength is? I may be out of line, but hiding your true self and putting on airs doesn’t seem any different than running away to me. I would think that embracing the things you truly like and being able to enjoy them is worth more than anything. To just be yourself… I believe that’s what true strength really is. -Tamaki Suou (Ouran High School Host Club)

If I sit like a normal person my investigative abilities would be half as effective. -L (Death Note)

No matter what happens, I’ll keep on moving. Until this life runs out of me, I’ll keep on walking. -Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
little.gun.nut

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:11 pm

So my sis and i are trying to find a show to watch together...and we're having some difficulties.
We have some pretty differing tastes when it comes to anime ^^;; But we both enjoyed Mushi-shi, Noein, tsubasa chronicle...and not much else ^^;;
she won't watch anything with too much violence, neither of us really care too much when it comes language, and we've seen our share of fanservice in anime.
I just can't find anything myself DX
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby KazeShiki » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:So my sis and i are trying to find a show to watch together...and we're having some difficulties.
We have some pretty differing tastes when it comes to anime ^^;; But we both enjoyed Mushi-shi, Noein, tsubasa chronicle...and not much else ^^;;
she won't watch anything with too much violence, neither of us really care too much when it comes language, and we've seen our share of fanservice in anime.

You said you both enjoyed Mushishi so Natsume Yuujinchou immediately comes to mind.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby skreyola » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:07 pm

little.gun.nut wrote:What are some good anime to watch that are cute, funny, and do not have a lot of language?

Humor is pretty subjective. Can you give us some titles you liked/thought were funny, so we can give you better recommendations?

Some clean shows that were my idea of funny: Usagi Drop, Cross Game, Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth (lots of funny parts, but more heartwarming than funny), and Girls und Panzer.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby little.gun.nut » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Skretola, okay thanks! I watched ouran high school host club and thought funny, does that help?
Words are beasts. Chains can be used for more than tying down. They can be used to connect, and tie together. Looking forward and speaking positively makes all the difference. -Yuuko Ichihara (xxxHolic)

Do you think you could tell me what true strength is? I may be out of line, but hiding your true self and putting on airs doesn’t seem any different than running away to me. I would think that embracing the things you truly like and being able to enjoy them is worth more than anything. To just be yourself… I believe that’s what true strength really is. -Tamaki Suou (Ouran High School Host Club)

If I sit like a normal person my investigative abilities would be half as effective. -L (Death Note)

No matter what happens, I’ll keep on moving. Until this life runs out of me, I’ll keep on walking. -Allen Walker (D.Gray-man)
little.gun.nut

Postby DecooPunk » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:13 pm

little.gun.nut wrote:What are some good anime to watch that are cute, funny, and do not have a lot of language?

There's Usagi Drop which is cuteness overload but not really a comedy or anything. Review here --> reviews/caareviews.php?sysid=3&pageid=ShowReview&id=203
Nanaka 6/7 which is about a really serious girl who falls and hits her head so she has amnesia and she thinks she is six which is cute and funny but has language several times each episode. I am not sure about the overall cleanness since I just started watching it.
If you don't mind watching anime movies Totoro, Ponyo, The Cat Returns, and The Borrower Arrietty are all very cute but The Cat Returns is the only one that is very funny.
DecooPunk

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm

NICHIJOU NICHIJOU NICHIJOU
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 pm

KazeShiki wrote:
Panda4christ:3 wrote:So my sis and i are trying to find a show to watch together...and we're having some difficulties.

You said you both enjoyed Mushishi so Natsume Yuujinchou immediately comes to mind.

Asked her what she thought, and as it turns out she'd watched some and didn't like it -_-'' thanks for the recommendation, though ^.^

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Have you tried xxxHOLiC? If you liked Tsubasa, you might like that this would give you an alternate view. It takes place in the same continuity, but with a different protagonist and in the world that Yuko (the space-time witch) lives in.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Oh yes. Forgot to mention that one, sorry >.<;; thankyou for the recommendation though >_<;;

Postby skreyola » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 pm

DecooPunk wrote:

Nanaka 6/7 which is about a really serious girl who falls and hits her head so she has amnesia and she thinks she is six which is cute and funny but has language several times each episode. I am not sure about the overall cleanness since I just started watching it.

I'll second that recommendation for Nanaka 6/17. It does have some heavy (sad) bits, but other than that, nothing objectionable that I remember, and I've watched the series at least three times. Lots of laughs in that show, and it is a very heart-touching story.
Anime List
skreyola

Postby little.gun.nut » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 am

Okay, thank you all very much! I will look into them!

little.gun.nut

Postby ForeverInspired » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:28 am

Blast of Tempest is amazing! It's a mix of Shakespeare and science fiction (don't ask me how they pulled that one off so well!).
ForeverInspired

Postby little.gun.nut » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 am

Okay, I will check that one out!

little.gun.nut

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:40 am

Panda4christ:3 wrote:Oh yes. Forgot to mention that one, sorry >.<;; thankyou for the recommendation though >_<;;

Oh, okay. Did you like that one or not, though? If you did, I would recommend Petshop of Horrors, but I think it might not be quite what you're looking for... because 1) there is more violence in it (and you said she doesn't like that) and 2) the anime adaption is - sadly - very short.

Maybe Cardcaptor Sakura? It's one of CLAMP's earlier shows and features several of the characters from Tsubasa in an alternate universe. It's mostly a clean show, too. There are a few underlying references to homosexuality that come up throughout the show - there's a review for it on here that details it a little. There is magic, too, but I don't think the magic is so bad personally; just what you'd see in a typical magical girl anime, and along what you see in Tsubasa. I'm actually re-watching it for the second time; I absolutely love it.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm

mysngoeshere56 wrote:
Panda4christ:3 wrote:Oh yes. Forgot to mention that one, sorry >.<;; thankyou for the recommendation though >_<;;

Oh, okay. Did you like that one or not, though? If you did, I would recommend Petshop of Horrors, but I think it might not be quite what you're looking for... because 1) there is more violence in it (and you said she doesn't like that) and 2) the anime adaption is - sadly - very short.

Maybe Cardcaptor Sakura? It's one of CLAMP's earlier shows and features several of the characters from Tsubasa in an alternate universe. It's mostly a clean show, too. There are a few underlying references to homosexuality that come up throughout the show - there's a review for it on here that details it a little. There is magic, too, but I don't think the magic is so bad personally; just what you'd see in a typical magical girl anime, and along what you see in Tsubasa. I'm actually re-watching it for the second time; I absolutely love it.

I should've mentioned that she's seen every clamp show in existence. And yes, CCS is amazing ;u;
Petshop of horrors is a definite no, on her part at least. thankyou so much for giving me you recommendations though >.< it's really kind ^^

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:
mysngoeshere56 wrote:

I should've mentioned that she's seen every clamp show in existence. And yes, CCS is amazing ;u;

Have you seen Shugo Chara! then? Reminded me a lot of CCS when I watched it, but it is a lot different. I loved it.
mysngoeshere56

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:11 am

I'll try to talk talk into shugo chara, as it turns out, we found some other anime to try too (finally XD)
Thanks so much ^.^ and sorry i was so picky, it's just tough to find stuff we both enjoy we haven't already seen DX

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:42 am

Sounds like you've got this figured out, but I figured I'd throw in my own recommendation. Have you seen Kekkaishi yet? (I've probably already asked you that)
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 am

Kekkaishi...uuuhhh no...while it might be something i would watch my sister -.- we have totally differing tastes in anime XD I'll see if i can push her into it though >.>

Postby NovaCammy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 am

Hi guys now just want to know what you guys recommended Anime too watch. Some anime that I watch and really like are: Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Mirai Nikki and Steins;Gate. I really confuse too pick because my friend recommendation are either sensitive like Angel Beats, NGE or it includes fanservice like Highschool DxD. Because i really need an Anime that have a great story.
NovaCammy

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 am

NovaCammy wrote:Hi guys now just want to know what you guys recommended Anime too watch. Some anime that I watch and really like are: Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Mirai Nikki and Steins;Gate. I really confuse too pick because my friend recommendation are either sensitive like Angel Beats, NGE or it includes fanservice like Highschool DxD. Because i really need an Anime that have a great story.

Seeing as you already have some mecha in your system, you might want to try out Gundam, especially the Universal Century shows. The best place to start would be with Mobile Suit Gundam, or Gundam 0079, as it's often called. I watched the whole series, but most people say it's better to watch the compilation movies (Gundam I, II and III) because it cuts out some of the slower parts. Another way to get a taste of the series is to see Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, a quick side-story OVA. It is more violent than the other Gundam shows, though. That, or you could watch G Gundam, which combines a mecha show with Dragon Ball Z; it drags a little in the middle, but it's a lot of fun.
Davidizer13

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews