Spouses or Boyfriend/Girlfriends and Anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Spouses or Boyfriend/Girlfriends and Anime

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 am

Just curious, not sure if I'm putting this in the right thread or not.
But I'm just wondering, how many of you out there that have spouses or girlfriend/boyfriends enjoy watching anime with you? Or what is their take on you liking/loving it.

I think there was already a parental thread, so now I'm asking about significant others.

As for me, my husband had never watched anime before he knew me. Lol!
He wasn't so sure on it right away either.

But actually, very soon after we got married I asked him to pick a show of his choice out of my collection, and we watched it together. [It was actually Getbackers! Haha!]

And he reallyreally liked.

And now he's enjoyed watching several series with me. (I rewatch them with him because I've seen all of what I own) :P

So yeah, just curious, how is it for you?
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 am

My ex and I used to watch anime together, we watched TTGL together lol it was pretty good :) other then the awkward parts with yoko...idk that stuff affects him, anyway but yea we watched anime together it was fun :)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:18 pm

My wife likes Studio Ghibli (I always do a double-take when she says we should watch "My Neighbor the Yamadas" that night) and especially enjoys Mamoru Hosoda. And like most people her age and younger, she grew up a bit on Pokemon. But she won't touch anything else (she literally berated me for showing her the Kenshin OVA - too violent).
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Juliannesan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:20 pm

TWWK (post: 1504935) wrote:My wife likes Studio Ghibli (I always do a double-take when she says we should watch "My Neighbor the Yamadas" that night) and especially enjoys Mamoru Hosoda. And like most people her age and younger, she grew up a bit on Pokemon. But she won't touch anything else (she literally berated me for showing her the Kenshin OVA - too violent).

Haha, oh wow! Interesting!
Yeah, I watched the Kenshin OVAs of my own volition, even though I knew it'd be violent.

My husband doesn't mind anything violent. (I guess that's to be expected, haha)

On the flipside though, for me I'd have to say he doesn't really care much for "girly" animes. He likes more action and comedy. He especially likes anything to do with Samurai now.

Like Samurai 7, Rurouni Kenshin, Nabari no Ou (though that has more to do with ninjas) Anything like that he loves now.

Oh yes, and he loved FMA: Brotherhood.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 pm

Ah, you're so lucky, Julianne! Don't take it for granted! This reminds me of a conversation on a national radio show this week in which listeners were asked whether they wanted a very beautiful wife who hated sports or a not-as-attractive wife who loved sports. They overwhelmingly chose the latter.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Psycho Molos » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 pm

TWWK (post: 1504965) wrote:Ah, you're so lucky, Julianne! Don't take it for granted! This reminds me of a conversation on a national radio show this week in which listeners were asked whether they wanted a very beautiful wife who hated sports or a not-as-attractive wife who loved sports. They overwhelmingly chose the latter.

with my life the way it is now I'd end up with a brain damaged, medded up, "dried up" one that I'd be lucky if she does like anime :(
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Lockon Stratos » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 pm

I'd take the former if she wasn't an idiot or have some other problem.
Of course I'm not a fan of proffesional sports. The concept seems realy moronic to me. But I do enjoy playing them myself with my friends.
Lockon Stratos

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Mrs. Doc enjoys the work of Hayao Miyazaki, as well as Rurouni Kenshin, the Vision of Escaflowne and Last Exile (bar the ending).

However, she does not share my mechaholism. She is completely uninterested when I'm watching something like Patlabor or Zeta Gundam. Indifference turns to (still playful) annoyance when the super robots come out, though. She kinda hates the Zambot 3 OP, and the Gaogaigar OP might actually cause her physical pain =).

Yeah, she loves me.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 am

Lockon Stratos (post: 1504984) wrote:I'd take the former if she wasn't an idiot or have some other problem.
Of course I'm not a fan of proffesional sports. The concept seems realy moronic to me. But I do enjoy playing them myself with my friends.

You're missing the point. These men wanted someone who shared their interests more than someone that was just pretty.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:58 am

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1505036) wrote:However, she does not share my mechaholism. She is completely uninterested when I'm watching something like Patlabor or Zeta Gundam. Indifference turns to (still playful) annoyance when the super robots come out, though. She kinda hates the Zambot 3 OP, and the Gaogaigar OP might actually cause her physical pain =).
ZAMBOT SREE! ZAMBOT SREE! ZAMBOT SREE!

Actually, have you thought about showing her the Hosoda stuff? I bet she could dig it because, after all, Hosoda films(and Redline) are the best movies.

Anyways, on topic, hilariously enough, it was my ex-"girlfriend" that got me into anime, and proceeded to break up with me about a week later. This actually kind of cemented my early fandom, as I proceeded to use Naruto that summer like how a lot of people use alchohol. I have not dated since, so I can't really know what it's like, though if I could find a girl who could watch Hosoda's films with me, I'd probably propose after we finished Summer Wars.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 am

Atria35 (post: 1505078) wrote:You're missing the point. These men wanted someone who shared their interests more than someone that was just pretty.

This. Having a romantic partner in your life who shares the same interests as you really makes life that much more fun. It gives you something you can both enjoy.

Plus it would be very annoying to live with someone for the rest of your life who hated one of your greatest interests.
Yamamaya

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:01 pm

My husband and I were both into anime before we even met. The only thing that really changed when we got together is he taught me the wonders of mecha anime and of old super robot theme songs.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:21 pm

My husband and I both like anime, although lately I haven't watched any of the titles around our apartment. The one we watched together was Princess Tutu, during our honeymoon. He loved it! :jump:
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Rewin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:37 pm

My wife does not like anime and says she has no desire to give it a chance, but she does watch Durarara over my shoulder occasionally and makes comments (not bad ones either). So I may try getting her to watch another show with me, just not sure which one yet.
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Postby Lockon Stratos » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Atria35 (post: 1505078) wrote:You're missing the point. These men wanted someone who shared their interests more than someone that was just pretty.

I know that. Just being goofy. I do that. *Hangs shoulders forward sulkily*
Anyway on a more serious note, I do agree, having someone share interests with you is definitely good for a relationship. Now as I've never been in a "serious" relationship, my word should not be taken as cold hard truth. Although personaly I'd be fine if I had a spouse who didn't care for anime, as long as we agree on other things. Now if robots give her the creeps, there can be no relationship with me, for two reasons. One, I'm hoping to be some form of robotics engineer, and two, I am very robotic in nature. If you've ever met or are an Aspie, you'll understand.
Lockon Stratos

Postby Juliannesan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:57 pm

TWWK (post: 1504965) wrote:Ah, you're so lucky, Julianne! Don't take it for granted! This reminds me of a conversation on a national radio show this week in which listeners were asked whether they wanted a very beautiful wife who hated sports or a not-as-attractive wife who loved sports. They overwhelmingly chose the latter.

Huh, interesting.
Yeah, it definitely helps to have someone that has similar interests, but i think it's also neat when two people come into a relationship not having similar interests, but have respect for one another's interests, instead of refusing to be a part of it altogether.

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1505036) wrote:Mrs. Doc enjoys the work of Hayao Miyazaki, as well as Rurouni Kenshin, the Vision of Escaflowne and Last Exile (bar the ending).

However, she does not share my mechaholism. She is completely uninterested when I'm watching something like Patlabor or Zeta Gundam. Indifference turns to (still playful) annoyance when the super robots come out, though. She kinda hates the Zambot 3 OP, and the Gaogaigar OP might actually cause her physical pain =).

Yeah, she loves me.

Awww, yeah. I'm probably with her on the whole mecha genre, but it's not like I won't EVER watch it, but it's not a fave of mine. Except for old-school Transformers or G Gundam. ^_^
At least she enjoys SOME anime though. =D

K. Ayato (post: 1505153) wrote:My husband and I both like anime, although lately I haven't watched any of the titles around our apartment. The one we watched together was Princess Tutu, during our honeymoon. He loved it! :jump:

Hahaha, aww. that's cool! We actually watched a few of the Getbackers' show on our honeymoon and finished it once we got back. :)
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews