April Art Contest - post your entries here!

Win the competitions and get free cookies! (sorry for lame description, perhaps Ink can come up with a better one)

April Art Contest - post your entries here!

Postby inkhana » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:16 am

Here are the rules for April's art contest!

//Anyone who wishes to participate will post their entry in this thread only! All entries appearing in other threads will not be taken into consideration.

//You may use art you created before the contest as long as it follows the rules.

//All entries will, most importantly, comply with the general rules of CAA. Entries with a sexual connotation of any kind (including but not limited to hentai, yaoi and yuri), as well as those with graphic violence or profanity, are instantly disqualified. The judges reserve the right to exclude an entry. Entries that do not have some relation with the current art contest theme will be disqualified also.

//If any member posts work that is not his or her own, they will be disqualified from all future art contests and their current entry will be thrown out.

//All entries must be received before May 1. At the end of the contest, all entries will be submitted to a judging panel previously chosen by the admins and mods of CAA. When a winner is selected, the winning entry will be placed on the front page of CAA and their name will be announced in a new thread.

The theme of this month's contest - Anime-ize someone!

I forget who gave me this idea (...was it JediSonic, maybe...?) Anyway, whoever you were, thanks! The idea behind this is to take someone in real life and draw them as an anime character (by that, I don't mean a cosplay, but what they'd look like if they actually were in an anime, right down to typical clothing they'd wear). It can be a family member, a movie star or anyone else! Try your best to make the original person's personality shine through. Also, it would be very helpful if you posted a pic of the real person for comparison (particularly if it's a family member, etc, where we don't know what they look like).

Note: Your score will hinge a lot on your ability to make your drawing "look like" the real person; for example, if you used your favorite movie star, then if you could -really- make it look like them, even in anime form, you'll get a really good score!
inkhana

Postby Elric_kun » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:52 am

i could draw myself or maybe my sister....if i drew myself it'd probally look way too much like Alucard..lol :lol:
Elric_kun

Not Guilty!

Postby JediSonic » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:44 pm

inkhana wrote:I forget who gave me this idea (...was it JediSonic, maybe...?)

No, there was a thread with a relatively new member asking for someone to anime-ize some pics she had for some reason. The only credit I can take is saying "why do you want people to anime-ize these pics for you?" :lol: Sorry 'bout the non-art post, feel free to delete it if you want, Ink :thumb:
JediSonic

Postby inkhana » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:04 pm

It's ok, I've changed up a few things so general conversation doesn't matter.

I could have sworn someone said: "this would be a great idea for an art contest"...must've been the voices again...:P

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

oh this is my strong suit.

Postby Chapel » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:29 pm

I do line art for the K-state Collegian an award winning paper and I have to draw people all the time. What about political cartoons? By the by how many times can you enter? Is it just once? These are political cartoons I did for the paper. Not an entry I just thought as a reference for the anime look a like it might inspire people. I'll draw up another one for the contest.

-Chapel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chapel

Postby inkhana » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:55 pm

>By the by how many times can you enter? Is it just once?

Yes, you may only enter once. (I keep forgetting to add that to the rules sheet)

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby inkhana » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:41 pm

Ooooh, I wouldn't do something like sending it in the mail...-_-;; I would hate the thought of your work getting lost or something like that. Have you tried the oekaki? Oekaki entries are perfectly acceptable, and you don't have to scan them. Otherwise, I'm not sure how else you could get it to me. I'm not really sure, but maybe you could get your work scanned and put on disk at an copy shop or something like that?

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Angelchick » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:38 pm

if you have a digital camera you can take a pic of it and put it on your computer
everywhere i go i can't escape your energy - Skillet

this isn't war, but these are still battles
and battles make it all die out - Dead Poetic

Sometimes I don't know
Where I am
Where I'll be - A Thorn For Every Heart
Angelchick

Postby KrescentMoon » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:52 am

may the contestants draw themselves??? oh oh, and do celebreties count?

"The key to tomorrow is to have faith for a better day."
KrescentMoon

Postby JediSonic » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:55 pm

lol, inky I just KNEW there werent going to be that many entries for this one!

Its so hard to draw real people :stressed:

Oh, in response to the last post, I dont see any reason a celebrity wouldn't count, although I'm obviously not the one in charge of making up the rules here :sweat:
JediSonic

Postby KrescentMoon » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:26 pm

XD
well.....it would be easier for me (if i did enter) cuz then i wouldn't have to go through taking a pic of the subject, developing, and scanning before the deadline.....i don't have a webcam/digicam, sadly *sigh*.
now......*ponders about entering*

KrescentMoon

Postby Ashley » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:07 pm

In answer to the question, yes celebs are ok, and yes, you can draw yourself. Maybe you have some friends with a scanner you can bug?
Ashley

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:59 am

sorry bout jamming this thread but do we have to draw them like on paper or can we draw them on the computer?
Hitokiri

Postby Gypsy » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:44 am

Hitokiri wrote:sorry bout jamming this thread but do we have to draw them like on paper or can we draw them on the computer?

There's no rule against drawing them on the computer, as long as it's really your own, original work.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Taslin_Jewel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:11 am

Can you draw them with unrealistic qualities as well like wings(like drawing some one as a fairy, or a mermaid?)
In a world shrouded in mystery, the winds of change begin to blow.

A proud member of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars and Darklight: Chronicles of Tairis.

"I'm a warrior-hero-adventurer-goddess who CAN'T SWIM, okay?!?!" ~Skye of Lynlora, from the video game Darkened Skye
Taslin_Jewel

Postby Ashley » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:19 am

Absolutely! Anything goes from what I understand.
Ashley

Postby inkhana » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:41 pm

Yeah, Ashley and Gypsy are right...^^;; It doesn't matter just as long as it's a real person drawn in the anime style.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:13 pm

Amy Lee from Evanescence. If you need me to post a picture of her, I can. She has blue skin... because she looks good with blue-ish skin. Have you seen her on the cover of Fallen?! 0.0

What else to say... the lyrics are from "Whisper" by Evanescence... even though I was listening to a Superchic[k] CD while drawing this. O.o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

ok here is my entry

Postby Chapel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:39 pm

This is my own work. It may look like my own comic character, however that comic character is based off of me. So I think in this sense it applies. I think the picture speaks for itself.

-chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

Whoa.... your hair reminds me of Hikaru's from Hikaru no Go! Anyway, your character really does look like you! Good job! *is working on an entry as well*
Kireihana

I've never seen nor heard of that

Postby Chapel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:12 pm

Kireihana wrote:Whoa.... your hair reminds me of Hikaru's from Hikaru no Go! Anyway, your character really does look like you! Good job! *is working on an entry as well*

I've never seen nor heard of that could you give me a link so that I might go and view this. It interests me that someone else might have a similiar style to mine.

Chapel
Chapel

I will enter the contest too!

Postby Daiko-chan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:13 pm

If you look under "Daiko" at the CAA's oekaki board, you will see that I am currently working on my entry~

hee hee hee...

-this will be fun~~
CAA-related:
[thread=11252][guidelines to CAA chat on deviantART][/thread] [daCAA]

Christian ministries:
[ApEX] [Boundless] [Focus on the Family] [Orthodoxy Today]

Daiko things:
[online shop] [some artwork at DA] [blog of a saint in training]

:thumb: GOOD totally FREE art programs:
[Art Rage] -emulates traditional media
[Pixia] -this is for digital art and photo editing...

I don't think I will ever post my own autobiographical story in the CAA's Who's Who or in the Welcome Area because as a forumite I was raised so that I should never do such a thing- I am open to change though...
Daiko-chan

Postby JediSonic » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:26 am

Oh wow thats good, anonymous! You should draw more often :D
JediSonic

Postby KrescentMoon » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:27 am

kya! that's so cute!
what program did you use to color it? it's so good (^-^)v <-- chibi with 'v' sign.

KrescentMoon

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:46 pm

well here goes nthing... I think he's Dan Haseltine, from Jars of clay obviously. It didn't exactly turn out how I wanted, but I like it.
Shao Feng-Li

I am submitting my entry~~!

Postby Daiko-chan » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:45 am

and here it is (linked):
my lovely brother Dave

it's also over at the CAA's oekaki
(go look!)

comments very WELCOME.

-Daiko~

EDIT: I have now attached the image for submission
(sorry, I didn't know about that rule before
-but doesn't this method eat bandwidth like crazy?!
XD!!)
CAA-related:

Christian ministries:

Daiko things:

I don't think I will ever post my own autobiographical story in the CAA's Who's Who or in the Welcome Area because as a forumite I was raised so that I should never do such a thing- I am open to change though...
Daiko-chan

Postby inkhana » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:50 am

Daiko-chan, could you attach your entry to your post for the judges? I can't accept entries from other places. (Well, it was accepted last month because of the bandwidth pinch) Thanks...^^

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

huh?

Postby Daiko-chan » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:47 pm

Why is it that
since I've edited and attached a picture to my previous message
that my sig seems to have dissapeared
from that post I made?

-I don't get it.

*twilight zone music plays*
CAA-related:

Christian ministries:

Daiko things:

Daiko-chan

Postby JediSonic » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:11 pm

I've found that ever since the caa went down and underwent a bunch of updates a month or so ago, any time you put more than one post on a page, only your first post has the sig. Scroll up to your first post on this page and you'll see what I mean :thumb:
JediSonic

Postby Kireihana » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:17 pm

XD, I actually made an entry for this contest, but I didn't like it, so I made another, and didn't like it.... I'm hopless. Maybe I can still scrounge something together before the end of the month. >.<

And Chapel, Hikaru no Go is a manga published in Shonen Jump magazine. (There's an anime that hasn't been released in the US yet.) Here's a link to the SJ page: http://www.shonenjump.com/mangatitles/hng/manga_hng.php
Kireihana

Next

Return to Art Contests