Tinypic reusing old URLs

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

Tinypic reusing old URLs

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:25 pm

It has recently come to my attention that tinypic eventually reuses old image links to support new uploads. (I'm not sure what their official stance is on this, but I've seen it start to impact other forums)

What this means is that if any old posts contain pictures from tinypic, there is a chance that inappropriate content may end up on the site. Just thought that I would bring this to your attention, since I know that I, at least, have used tinypic in the past to post pictures.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby shooraijin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Do you have a URL or something we can look at regarding the policy? I'm not personally familiar with tinypic.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:32 pm

shooraijin (post: 1517023) wrote:Do you have a URL or something we can look at regarding the policy? I'm not personally familiar with tinypic.

Unfortunately tinypic itself doesn't officially state that this is the case (to my knowledge). It's something that people across the web have observed over time. If you have a tinypic account, the pictures you upload should be fine, but when uploading without an account, they will reuse URLs from older non-account uploads.

I did a quick google search for this, and turned up some other forums where they ran into this issue: (warning, these were google searched and I do not vouch for the content that may be contained on the site.)

I haven't seen tinypic adress this issue in any way, I've just seen the effects. Hopefully it won't be a problem, but I'd rather have brought this to your attentions than not.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Return to Announcements and Feedback