For those who like Harry Potter

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:59 pm

Lehn wrote:HP keeps getting darker, and darker with every book, I think JK is trying to bring out the fact that they aren't cute-'ikkle-ducky-and-bunny-happy-go-lucky-kiddie books anymore.
She's started knocking off main charas, and swearing much more often. Did anyone else feel as if OotP had more swearing then all of the other books combined?

I think you're quite right in effect. However, I think I'd use a term other than 'dark' which has been used a lot by people with motives less pure than your own. At the moment I prefer to say they are merely more adult: everything does not end perfectly, people have ugly sides, war has actually casualties, etc.

[spoiler=Order of the Phoenix]I've said this before, but I'll repeat it in brief here. The death of Sirius was good, though it upset many people (provided he's actually dead). All too often we have a "hero mentality" in which the only deaths are noble and long, often in the process of self-sacrifice. Occasionally I like seeing someone being realistic: people killed in war are simply killed.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Savior_Sora » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:04 pm

Ya know...HP is the only book that has ever kept my attention...I don't know why...Besides LOTR and Star Wars lol. But I do think they are getting more adult tho.

Since Harry and the crew are getting order and more in depth in their magic they must face more and tougher obstacles both mentally and physically...So naturally the more adult their problems are gonna become. [spoiler] And since Voldemort has come back[/spoiler] that has spiced things up a bit....causing the who cast to be more cautions and aware about how they live and survive.
-"How do we prove we exist...maybe we don't exist."

-"I feel sorry for the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac...they stay up all night wondering if there is a dog."

-"It's not the fall that kills you...It's the sudden stop at the end."

Savior_Sora

Postby Lenne » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:38 pm

You know, this is my first succesful topic that I've ever made..in my entire foruming life.
<_<
>_>

I got a very, very good question though:

Why is Peeves still there?
After everything he has done, the damage, the cruel jokes and the rude comments.

Oh, and has anyone read the theory on Ron=Dumbledore?

If not here it is:
http://www.knight2king.net/Knight2King/weasleyisourking.html
Saying's to live by:
1. Life is not counted by the breaths we take, but by the moments that leaves us breathless.

2.Those of Faith are those of strength.

3.When life is without light then there is no hope and without hope, darkness will prevail.

4.In order to make a dream come true, first you have to start a journey.

5.When life gets too hard, just look to the heavens and imagine the people that came before you.

6.(something funny)
You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'edit, undo.'

7. There are three kinds of tears; tears of fear, tears of sadness and tears of joy..nost people prefer tears of joy.
Lenne

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:13 am

that site wrote:What is so interesting about this game is that Ron actually plays *two* roles. He is both the Knight, fighting in the war, and the metaphorical player, giving the orders, when, as we all know, Dumbledore is the one calling the shots, directing the troops in the larger game (the war). Dumbledore is the metaphorical chess player in the war on the side of good. If he is a piece in the game (and he most certainly is), he is the King. However, in the game the trio plays, it is RON who directs all the action. It is Ron who is the metaphorical player. How do we reconcile this?

Rowling gives us the answer in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
Weasley is Our King

The metaphorical player in the game of chess is the King. His actual physical moves are limited, but if he is taken out of the game (checkmate), the game is over. Kings are leaders, they give the orders, and they direct the war, just as Ron does on the chess board. However, catchy little ditty by an unctuous Slytherin aside, Ronald Weasley does not, on the surface at least, appear to play the part of the King in the series.

Hmm... I see their background and their conclusion, but the road seems to be missing there...

Rowling herself tells us Weasley is Our King... what on earth could this possibly mean?

Other than the rhyme that the slytherins sing, where did they get this? Did Rowling say anything like this? I have never heard of that...

Anyhow, reading through this, the only thing that even helps their thesis (besides the hair, hands, and feet) is the Bernie Bott thing. And I, personally, think this is just a mistake... I mean, Rowling forgets things occasionally.

The rest of the document, the "proof" is just things that would line up if it was true, and are only significant if you are allready thinking in that direction (like "or had ever been" and particularly that "weasly is our king" line), but they could all be the case if it wasn't true.

This is the worst example of non-sequitur in this piece
that page wrote:In OotP, Draco composes a lovely song - Weasley is Our King. If that isn't foreshadowing, I don't know what is. One line in particular is given significance by Draco. He is heard singing it loudly during the game by Harry, and Draco later quotes it in italics - born in a bin. While Draco likes to make fun of Ron's poverty, the phrase has a double meaning. 'Bin' is also a prefix meaning 'double' or 'two' - think 'binary'. Was Ron 'born' twice? Leading a double life? Is Draco trying to tell us something important?
Um... No... He means he was born in a trash can (rubbish bin) This is an intense stretch, and while having "weasly is our king" be something other than the mockery it was would be ironic and I wouldn't put it past Rowling, but it does not really lend itself to this hypothesis. BTW, "bi" is the prefix meaning two, not "bin" even if "bin" may be short for "binary" the prefix is "bi." There are a lot of alternate meanings that could be taken out of obscure parts of the books...

Of course, It would be cool if it was, though... I think, anyhow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Lehn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:27 pm

Lenne wrote:Why is Peeves still there?
After everything he has done, the damage, the cruel jokes and the rude comments.

:lol: That's almost exactly what Fluer said. I guess he's still around for comic relief. Now that the Twins are off, someone's gotta lighten things up a bit.

Whoa... thanks for posting that essay. Very interesting.
Lehn

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:13 am

I think there's more to Peeves than meets the eye. He'll play some important part before the end, IMHO. (Think about Ms. Moaning. Who would have thought she'd be important even after she played her part in Chamber.)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Scribs » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:46 am

He could have some big part but I would'nt be suppprised if he is just what he seems and Rowling just never bothered to have anyone get rid of him. Sometimes we read too deeply into things that have no real meaning. ;)
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:18 pm

[quote="piloswine"] Sometimes we read too deeply into things that have no real meaning. ]

The feeling behind my previous post, actually. Of course, if she wanted to, she could do something...

Man, I'm itching to read or listen to the next book... I can't wait! I just love her style. I wonder what she's gonna write next, after HP is over... If she writes anything, that is...

Anyhow, I want to look at what people say about my books and 1. Get ideas and 2. Screw with their minds based on what they say. I hope I have it done by the end of the month (sept, I mean...) By the end of October at least...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Lenne » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:27 am

Wow 13 pages..!
Saying's to live by:
1. Life is not counted by the breaths we take, but by the moments that leaves us breathless.

2.Those of Faith are those of strength.

3.When life is without light then there is no hope and without hope, darkness will prevail.

4.In order to make a dream come true, first you have to start a journey.

5.When life gets too hard, just look to the heavens and imagine the people that came before you.

6.(something funny)
You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk and the first thing you think is, 'edit, undo.'

7. There are three kinds of tears; tears of fear, tears of sadness and tears of joy..nost people prefer tears of joy.
Lenne

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:00 pm

Did anybody hear the Fox news story where J.k. Rowling announced that

[spoiler=HP]
One of the main characters is getting the ax! And it's not Harry! AHHHHH!!!! It had better not be Hermione.

Or Ron.

I vote--- Cho. So, she's not a main character, but I wonder just how "main" she means.[/spoiler]
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby madphilb » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:49 pm

My Mom keeps an eye on the Rowling site as well as reading the forums at one of the fan sites to see what crazy theories people come up with (I warned her that she'll get sucked into it all and start posting, but she denys it'll happen ;) )

She mentioned the new thing that was spoilered above.

What's really funny is I think my Mom's read the books more than I have... she started reading book one again (she'll read about something or a few things for a while and then dive into the book(s) to read it).

BTW, the 3rd movie comes out on DVD on Nov 23rd
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:58 pm

I'm scared. (as related to my spoiler. . . and I'm sad.)

Mangafanatic

Previous

Return to Book Corner