This Present Darkness and Peircings the Darkness

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

This Present Darkness and Peircings the Darkness

Postby thedragongirl77 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:30 pm

First off, if you haven't started the Darkness duo, DO IT NOW. Please. It starts slow, but it's worth it.
Great, now you know what I'm talking about.
Do you agree that this would make a great anime?
I know someone started manga-fying it, but I don't particularly enjoy manga (or the particular style used).
What do you think?

Edit: wrong category. Can someone move it who knows how/has privileges?
thedragongirl77

Re: This Present Darkness and Peircings the Darkness

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Moved to book corner. I think it would make an alright animated product, having been pretty entertained by them in the past as a teen, but I would be concerned about two things. The theology is... Debatable in the books. We try not to throw down over those sorts of things here, but I'll just say it doesn't have any thing close to a universal agreement across denominations, and that could prove a tough spot both for production and other aspects. Secondly and this somewhat ties to the first one... Both books were written in the mid to late 80s, and being 30 years old really shows, both in the theological topics they address and just the general plot. There would have to be either a ton of rewriting if you wanted to make the story work in the modern day, or deliberate research done to make sure that it's extremely clear the story is happening in the 80s to give context and relevance to the plot for a current day audience. The books were highly topical at the time to concerns and events that were occurring of perceived to be occurring, and in 30 years attitudes and ideas expressed in the books have changed.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Book Corner