Anyone a Brian Jacques Fan?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Anyone a Brian Jacques Fan?

Postby Kilvakar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:03 pm

I grew up reading the Redwall series by British author Brian Jacques. Has anyone else here read those books? They were (and still are) some of my favorite books.

For those of you who haven't heard of them, here's a link to the wikipedia entry on the series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall

I'd definitely recommend this amazing saga to anyone who enjoys a classic adventurous story, as the Redwall books are fun, clean, and showcase strong moral beliefs and a clear contrast between good and evil.
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Re: Anyone a Brian Jacques Fan?

Postby radical edward » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 am

I read a few of them, and I'm going back to read the ones I missed.
Have you read the graphic novel of the first book?
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Danderson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 am

His was one of the first book series I started reading. Though, after a few books I stopped because I realized that every book had the same plot to a certain degree.

I loved the characters, though.
Danderson

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Yep, I read most of them, starting back around fourth grade or so; I probably still have a couple books in the house somewhere, even. A few other friends got into it too, and we got inspired to go out to the woods and swordfight with sticks. I got up to High Rhulain, which is where I realized that the quality had really dropped off since the higher points of the series. (Or maybe that I had outgrown them...) Until then, though, they were pretty enjoyable, and they inspired the more grandiose, less workable ideas I wanted to put into my writing, like big multi-generational continuations of the same world through several stories. But that would imply that I would actually write anything deserving of a second story.
Davidizer13

Postby Kilvakar » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah, I agree that many of the later books failed to live up to the earlier stories, but for someone who clearly used a formulaic writing style I think Brian Jacques managed to (nearly) always draw you in with the interesting and unique characters in each story.

I have read the graphic novel as well as watched the cartoon adaptation of the first couple of books as well. I guess you could say I'm a pretty devoted fan, lol!
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby nln_rose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:22 am

DUDE!!! i can't believe it i was just about to start a thread like this one!!! i love the Redwall series! I've actually read every single one of his stories and listened to quite a few of the audio books. i even went so far as to watch all 3 seasons of the show (seasons 2+3 were much better than 1 since they actually stuck to the plot line of the books) Yes as previously stated the stories were fairly formulaic, but every time i fell in love with his descriptive style and well fleshed out characters. I was so sad to hear that he'd died. he's probably my favorite author of all time!
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Postby Kilvakar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Welcome to the club then! :hug:

These are definitely some of my favorite childhood stories, the entire Redwall series had a significant impact on me growing up. I plan to re-read all of his books in the near future. Too bad we don't have more children's authors who can write like that anymore...
Image Image

Kilvakar

Postby ClaecElric4God » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:46 am

Oh, how did I miss this thread?

Anyhoo. I've read a couple Redwall books. I thought they were very well written and had nice, solid plots, especially considering being about a bunch of rodents. I keep meaning to read more/the rest, but it's hard to find time for things like reading anymore.

But since this is a Brian Jacques thread rather than a Redwall thread, anybody else read Castaways of the Flying Dutchman and/or its sequels? Those books are absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite stories, ever. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: And one of the few that actually manages to pull off a talking dog, in a very unique way.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Danderson wrote:His was one of the first book series I started reading. Though, after a few books I stopped because I realized that every book had the same plot to a certain degree.

I loved the characters, though.

Yeah, but I read them all anyway, for some strange reason XD
The hares are my favorite.

Claec, I haven't read those yet, but I've been trying to get them from my library. I can't wait.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby Kilvakar » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:05 pm

I also read the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman books. I must say I did like them, but not as much as the Redwall series. I think if he'd been able to do more with the series it would have been better, but who knows.

Wolfsong: Yeah, the hares are pure awesomeness :D I really liked the badgers and otters as well.
Image Image

Kilvakar

Return to Book Corner