what is the nerdiest book you have ever read?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

what is the nerdiest book you have ever read?

Postby Never thirsty! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 pm

It can be about a hardcore gamer, a hacker or anything that could involve you reading it and thinking I wish I could be the undisputed ultimate techie super champion of the world like the him/her or something like that and why.

I'll start Ready Player One it's about a guy who basically spent the last five years of his life in an mmo trying to find an Easter egg and get the prize the dev left in his will.
Never thirsty!

Re: what is the nerdiest book you have ever read?

Postby LastLfan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:00 am

I still need to read that, but the science fiction handbook is my nerdiest read
LastLfan

Postby Peanut » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 pm

The Religion of Science Fiction. A book that argues that science fiction is the modern equivalent of Apocalyptic Literature.
Peanut

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Does reading the strategy guide for Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow cover to cover five bajillion times till it fell apart and I had it practically memorized count? ^^'

Otherwise, I might say the thick movie guide book to Star Wars episode I, which gave every tiny detail of how they made the movie. I read it when I was eight, and count that as the beginning of my obsession for behind-the-scenes information about movies.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby LastLfan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:08 pm

Is that book any good peanut, seems like something I would read
LastLfan

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Excluding textbooks and guide books, probably 2001: Space Odyssey or one of it's sequels.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby faithb4sight » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Someone already mentioned Pokémon. I over-used the Gold/Silver book, personally.

Long ago I felt like a total nerd while reading A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle. Maybe it's not that nerdy to the general population, but when the author started talking about farandolae and mitochondrion my brain started tingling. Here's an excerpt:

"Charles Wallace stood and said, "What I'm interested in right now are the farandolae and the mitochondria."
"What was that, Charles? The mighty what?"
"Mitochondria. They and the farandolae come from the prokaryocytes ---""

And the main character and her friend travel INTO her brother's mitochondria in order to save his life, and my brain was like :wow!: .

I was never any sort of science-kid, but I found the book oddly fascinating. I've read a lot of L'Engle's fictional works. At once scientific, adventurous, and even Faith-filled. She was a talent.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 pm

faithb4sight wrote:Someone already mentioned Pokémon. I over-used the Gold/Silver book, personally.

Long ago I felt like a total nerd while reading A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle. Maybe it's not that nerdy to the general population, but when the author started talking about farandolae and mitochondrion my brain started tingling. Here's an excerpt:

"Charles Wallace stood and said, "What I'm interested in right now are the farandolae and the mitochondria."
"What was that, Charles? The mighty what?"
"Mitochondria. They and the farandolae come from the prokaryocytes ---""

And the main character and her friend travel INTO her brother's mitochondria in order to save his life, and my brain was like :wow!: .

I was never any sort of science-kid, but I found the book oddly fascinating. I've read a lot of L'Engle's fictional works. At once scientific, adventurous, and even Faith-filled. She was a talent.

L'Engle's books are pretty good at least the on I read A Wrinkle in Time I think it was called it was back in 7th grade don't remember the name only that it was great
Never thirsty!

Postby radical edward » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Faith b4 Sight, L'Engle was actually Episcopalian.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby faithb4sight » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 pm

@ radical Edward
Really? haha, that's interesting ~ it's been so long since I read anything by her. I just remember the families tended to pray, or else talk about God a bit. It wasn't usually the brunt of her stories, though in one book the Murray twins went back in time to before the flood and met some biblical people. I've never read any of her non-fiction works.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:43 am

I took engineering classes... do textbooks count?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Sheenar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:38 am

I've read lots of books on animal training theories, books on critical thinking, books on memory, etc. I like to read about various topics (a little of everything).

Are you wanting fiction books? I read a ton of nerdy non-fiction ones. Currently reading "Clicker Training for Clever Cats". It delves a good bit into operant vs. classical conditioning, training theory, etc.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby SilverToast » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:01 am

I've read a few handbooks on electronics. Not for any class I've taken though. I just wanted to learn for myself.
SilverToast

Postby FourFourSeven » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 pm

CompTIA A+ Complete Deluxe Study Guide

But only if you count textbooks as nerdy.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Furen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Fully? I don't know, but I read all of the "A" section of my dictionary once... and "Z"
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby courtliza » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:11 am

Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know by P.W Singer and Allan Friedman, it's basically a book about hacking and the hacktivist group Anonymous.
courtliza

Postby GeassGirl222 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 pm

"Once Upon A Galaxy" edited by Wil McCarthy, Martin H. Greenberg, and John Helfers

It's classic fairy-tales remixed into science fiction adventures!
“When you’re a kid, they tell you it’s all… Grow up, get a job, get married, get a house, have a kid, and that’s it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It’s so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better.” ~ Doctor Who
GeassGirl222

Postby Cianter » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:18 am

"Brainboy and the DeathMaster"
which might just be the most ridiculous name for a book ever. It's about this orphan boy who is crazy good at this video game and ends up getting adopted by this rich scientist who is pretty much running a think tank comprised of super smart children who are trying to crack time travel (or something like that, this was when I was like eleven haha) It's one that stuck with me so I'd say it's a pretty good book ^^
Cianter

Postby artisticDreamer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Hyrule Historia is about as nerdy as I get... ._.;
artisticDreamer

Postby Penter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:45 pm

I feel there needs to be a line drawn between "geeky" and "nerdy".
Penter

Return to Book Corner