What do you value in stories?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

What do you value in stories?

Postby CobaltAngel » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:29 pm

I got the idea to do this thread because I'm doing a report on JRR Tolkien for a English project. One biography I was reading about him said that the things he valued in stories were:
-Fantasy
- Recovery
-Ecsape
-Consolation

So, when you're trying to find a book, what kind of elements do you look for?
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby ThaKladd » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:14 am

The one thing that I most want to be in a book is some kins of philosophical, christian or other moral thoughts behind. You have to learn something if it's a good book. I want to sit down after I've read the book and think about the stuff the book was meaning for days. Therefore I value the Narnia books, and Sophies World. They are not books you easily forget.

When I was younger I valued stuff like drama, action... and of course they are still a must in books - but without any sub meaning, I don't think the book is that good anymore - it's like an action movie without a plot.
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Staci » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:51 am

Things I like in books:

- Fantasy (the genre)

- Action

- Romance

- Stuff that makes me cry (Yes, I've cried reading before when someone dies)

- When the author keeps the reader guessing until the very end

- Things with deeper, symbolic meanings

- Good morals

:thumb:
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Psycho Ann » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:23 am

I'm mostly for the intricate and very smartly done plot twists. Also writings that make you actually think from the surreal imaginative atmosphere.

And when I'm bored I usually go for either comedy, romance, angst and action... or any combination of the four.
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:44 am

· Good solid plot.
· Good characters.
· A good hook.

There are probably 34236435 books that I have never finished because the first few chapters were boooriiing...so I like it when a story draws me in from the start.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby CobaltAngel » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:03 pm

I'm the same why SH!
Akaida, I like books that make me cry too. :P
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby martinloyola » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:21 pm

a verbal confluence of ideas and imagination that can permeate my sense of reality so readily as to confuse my perception of that reality

in other words, if the writer can either convince me of their ideas or give me enough freedom to imagine their ideas in my own way as to push my sense of reality and purpose further than a simple cliche or even a cliche twisted, when an author can mold a cliche into such a work of art that it is hardly noticeable as steotipical, that's when I know a book is really really good
other than that, most reading I do goes under the category "ok' or "that was nice"
if it doesn't go there, then I probably despise the writing with every fibre and breathe of my being ;)
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:27 pm

I see that nobody's mentioned humor yet. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of non-inappropriate humor, you know. :grin:
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Namu » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:31 pm

A good plot. There isn't many books comming out with those today...
Some good action.
Fantasy! ^_^
It's gotta be interesting in the beginning, with stuff that makes me want to read more.
A bit of humor....can't be all serious throughout the whole book.
Some plot twists.

*can't think of any more*
The terrifying moldy bread incident! In elementary school, Yomi's leftover bread started rotting inside her desk! you can't imagine what happened! Not only that, but the mold had a will of its own, it was terrible! Barricading ourselves in the science prep room, we used spirit lamps and engaged in combat! Then I realized it!! If we only had the bottle of mildew remover from the bathroom, we could destroy them!!
-Tomo Takino, Azumanga Daioh
Namu

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:28 pm

Since I mostly read nonfiction, I look for a book to be well-argued and informative, as well as making me interested in pursuing further reading in related subjects. It really turns me off when an author makes wholly unwarranted assumptions throughout a book, or presents outlandish claims without explanation/support.
cbwing0

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:49 pm

Fiction- fun and engrossing
-either new and unpredictable or true to the form of a series
-memorable charachters....
-makes me want to reread it
NF- good information of interest to me

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blueraven » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:42 pm

I tend to lean towards fantasy or sci-fi, always have and probaly always will. As others have said, interesting characters is a most. No fun when everything there is to know about everyone is right there in plain sight. I like to beable to reread a book over and over again and learn something new, not nessicsarly(sp) about the actual plot but more towards character traits and maybe even subplots. Lately I've found myself going for historical fiction- mostly set back in Ireland or Scottland. And as far as humor goes, I usually attach myself to whichever character(s) lighten things up a bit- say the oddest things at the worse time but everyone still love 'em and can laugh about it :eh:
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby YesIExist » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:15 pm

I like stuff that's as firmly based in reality as possible. As in, what happens in the story is what happens in real life.

I like characters who are honest, trustworthy, and true.

I like seeing strong, intelligent women who can handle themselves and don't put up with any crap from men. Or anyone else, for that matter.

I prefer good to triumph over evil.

EDIT:

Also, a few characters w/a clean sense of humor. :grin:
Idle hands are indeed the devil's playground. -_- :bang:
YesIExist

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:52 pm

I prefer one well-written and one that grabs my attention. I want to read something new, different, and with great characters.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Mave » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:20 pm

Well developed characters
Suspense (I don't know what it is exactly but John Grisham's old books keep me on my toes)
Smart plot twists (like what Ann said.)
Mave

Postby Gypsy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:01 pm

1. Strong (as in well-developed) characters
2. An engrossing plot and atmosphere- nothing like getting lost in a good book
3. Various elements that I, personally, can relate to or learn about others from
Gypsy

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:17 pm

This goes for books and for just about anything else.

I like Fiction.

I lean towards Fantasy and Sci-Fi, though I have read other things.

Good Worldbuilding. Give me an interesting setting, a complicated, intriguing world.

Give me strong characters. I don't mean sterotypical characters, I mean characters that have strong passions and motivations, but get inside their heads, let me feel what they are feeling. This doesnt' have to go for each and every character in a complicated book with a varied cast of "extras", but with the main characters... make them stand out, don't make them flat.

Anything that makes me think about some aspect of life/the human existance/the universe. Make me wonder. Make me see things from a new perspective. MAKE ME THINK!

I guess that's what I like. It's what I'm trying to accomplish with my own writing for other people... give them a wonderous world, great characters, and, perhaps above all, to make them THINK.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby Straylight » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:41 pm

I'm fond of fantasy and sci-fi as well. It must be well written and include detailed descriptions, whether by the use of long paragraphs or flitting over and leaving you guessing (eg. Gibson).

I love little sub-plots and seperate stories that interweave with each other, and I also like it when authors create a sense of culture, whether it's an invented one or something the reader is familiar with.

I like a world that has a strong sense of history. I like it when the history becomes blurred the further back you go, creating myths and legends. Jordan's "Wheel of Time" has a superb sense of history and detail, and expresses this attribute perfectly.

Any story where there is a major injustice that makes the reader feel angry is worthy of my respect. It takes skill to pull something like that off.

Counterculture references are always good fun too, shows that the author has a nice gritty side.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:26 pm

Sometrhing tha
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby PotBelliedCow » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:18 pm

Characters are the most important thing when it comes to stories. I don't really conform to one genre when it comes to books...as long as it's got good characters, each with his or her own wants, motivations, fears, and behaviors. You can't have plot or theme or much anything about characters.

Subplots are also nice, especially when all the subplots come together and become involved with the main plot. This is a really hard thing to do, and when it is accomplished the author needs some props for that...
PotBelliedCow

Postby greyscale42 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:57 pm

Recreational:
It has to be fiction. I dont like much non-fiction
It must be suspensful, mysterious, action packed, atleast somewhat original, creative, have Strong characters and have a steady plot line.

Christian Growth:
It must have something to keep my attention and keep me focused and it must be original.
greyscale42

Return to Book Corner