Book Combining Anime with Christianity

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Book Combining Anime with Christianity

Postby TWWK » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:53 am

A month or two back, I read an interesting article by Kathleen Kern, a member of Christian Peacemaker Teams. She'd written a book inspired by events several years ago, when three members of the organization were taken hostage in Iraq; two were eventually rescued and one was executed.

The book might be even more interesting to us because of its protagonist (see the description below):

Spike Darbyfield emotionally invests in only two things: her younger sister, Margie, and higher-end Japanese anime series. From others in her family, and from her colleagues, clientele, and most of humanity, Spike maintains an ironic or contemptuous detachment. When an Iraqi militant group kidnaps her sister while Margie is working for a human rights organization in Iraq, the crisis creates openings in the armor Spike built around her psyche over the years, allowing those who care about her to begin relating to her, and her to them, in different ways.

The book is a compelling read. In addition to anime playing a major role in the story, Kern tackles Christianity with open eyes, as her characters are unafraid to condemn what they see as hypocrisy. At times, it becomes uncomfortable - in a good way.

I didn't want to link to my blog here, but Kathleen has been nice enough to offer a 30% discount to my readers - so if you'd like the code (and to read what I think of the book), hop on over.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm

The book sounds interesting.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:50 am

If I had the money.... It sounds like an awesome book. I'm gonna see if my library will order it in....
Atria35

Postby Popyman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh man, this sounds amazing! Not only is anime used in an interesting way but Christianity too! Totally going to order this right now. Thanks for the coupon (and telling us about the book)! ^^
Popyman

Postby TWWK » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Awesome, Popyman! I hope you enjoy it! It took me a chapter or two before I became engrossed in it, just to let you know.

Atria...perhaps I can send it to you, if you're willing to review it on your site? I'm sure the author would like that (well, maybe...you're a tough reviewer!).

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:27 am

TWWK (post: 1511029) wrote:Atria...perhaps I can send it to you, if you're willing to review it on your site? I'm sure the author would like that (well, maybe...you're a tough reviewer!).

Would you?! That would be so amazing! PM me about it!
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:03 pm

So, thanks to TWWK, Kern contacted me and offered me a free review copy which I am currently reading. Despite the occasional missing word and the somewhat lackluster layout, I can vouch for this book's quality. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I am. This is more along the lines of how Christians should be writing stories.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby TWWK » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1511612) wrote:So, thanks to TWWK, Kern contacted me and offered me a free review copy which I am currently reading. Despite the occasional missing word and the somewhat lackluster layout, I can vouch for this book's quality. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I am. This is more along the lines of how Christians should be writing stories.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt about the book. I'm glad to hear you and I are of the same opinion. :)

TWWK

Re: Book Combining Anime with Christianity

Postby nln_rose » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 pm

sounds interesting i'd love to read it!
I hope you don't mind me barging in like this. In spite of the profession I've chosen, I've never actually made a confession before. It's these times we live in. I did what it took to protect the children at any cost. That's how I always justified my actions. I took many people's lives, all that time believing there was no other way. My sins are so heavy. Too heavy. Too heavy to ever atone for. And yet, somehow I feel happy, at peace with myself today. It really can be done. Once you stop to think about it, there are plenty of ways to save everyone. Why didn't I ever listen to him? Why didn't I see that before it was too late? -Nicholas D. Wolfwood (Priest)
nln_rose

Re: Book Combining Anime with Christianity

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 pm

This thread is almost 3 years old. Please contain posting to threads where the previous post is under six months old.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Book Corner