Favorite author

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite author

Postby akorecki1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:35 pm

hey my peep's could you give me some names of great christen authors, do you have any favorites? And some for good christen manga or regular good manga that does not include intense language or violence. :dance: Thanks! Dawgs I would really like it!
You can die at any time living takes real courage. - Someone of FMA

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.

Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn then always be a unicorn.:rock:
akorecki1

Postby Popyman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Doug TenNapel is the only modern Christian author I have any knowledge of or interest in. All his comics are fantastic and he doesn't beat you over the head with his religious views.
Popyman

Postby akorecki1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks I will check him out.

akorecki1

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:33 pm

Moved to Book Corner. :)
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Christian manga? None that are good. Seriously. I have yet to come across any good Christian manga (most of them are made in the US anyway- remember that the vast majority of Japan isn't Christian).

I do know that Defense Devil is a Christian manga, made by one and published in Japan.

As far as other manga that doesn't have intense language or violence, do you want a fighting manga? Adventure? Slice of life? Horror? There are plenty that fit your request, but you would have to narrow it down a bit. I don't want to recommend Yotsuba! when you'd rather be reading Tegami Bachi.
Atria35

Postby Edward » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:19 pm

A series that I love is Mushi-shi. From what I've read, there isn't much language (I think it has mild cussing) and very little violence. It is rated 16+, but there's actually less objectionable stuff than in Naruto or FmA. Actually, the worst thing about it is that the main character, Ginko, smokes constantly, and there's even a legitamate reason for it.

I don't know if you'll like it or not. It has an episodic format with very few recurring characters, and focuses mainly on how Ginko attempts to solve problems mushi cause for humans. There's also not a whole lot of action, but the art is beautiful and more realistic than the typical manga style. The stories are all self-contained too so you can buy the volumes in any order you wish. And the stories are all amazing.

I will mention the anime because the manga's are pretty expensive (but they're worth it). I'd reccomend watching the anime online if you can't afford the manga, since it's an almost perfect adaptation of the first five volumes (and one story from the sixth). And the fact that Travis Willingham does the voice for Ginko in the anime should be reason enough to look into it.
Edward

Postby akorecki1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:06 pm

thanks everyone

akorecki1

Postby Sheenar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 pm

As far as Christian authors, I have heard many great things about Frank Peretti's work. He writes Christian suspense/horror-ish novels.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Ooo, check out the Yotsuba&! manga. One of the best titles ever, totally delightful and squeaky clean.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby akorecki1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks

akorecki1

Postby Nanao » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:40 am

Are you looking for modern authors? And fiction or non-fiction? GK Chesterton writes both great fiction and non-fiction. I loved his Father Brown books. Then there's of course CS Lewis, Dorothy Sayers and JRR Tolkien (though some would probably debate with me on him).
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby rocklobster » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:43 am

Two other Christian writers no one has mentioned yet are Graham Greene and Flannery O' Connor. O'Connor is quite moralistic though and a bit on the heavy-hitting side. Her characters seem to have the worst karma!
I'd also nominate Nathaniel Hawthorne.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:25 pm

This question seems to be aimed at favourite Christian authors, and there are many non-Christians (or nominally religious) authors I admire, but I'll stick mostly to the Christian authors. Also, I'm going to keep this to written / prose rather than manga, as I'm not reading as much of latter as I'd like.

I definitely recommend CS Lewis, not just for his Narnian Chronicles but for his theological works and his book Till We have Faces which is good but not a simple work. I also recommend his work of 'reverse theology', The Screwtape Letters.

A great (but difficult, mind-bending) Christian author is Shusaku Endo, a Japanese Catholic best known for writing on the subject of martyrdom and persecution of Christianity in his own country. His best novel is Silence, which deals with a Jesuit travelling to Japan at a time when Christianity is outlawed, and begins to question why "God is silent" in the face of suffering. To be honest, this novel asks some tough questions about faith.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby akorecki1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:54 pm

thank you

akorecki1

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 pm

akorecki1 (post: 1507807) wrote:hey my peep's could you give me some names of great christen authors, do you have any favorites? And some for good christen manga or regular good manga that does not include intense language or violence. :dance: Thanks! Dawgs I would really like it!

Well, as others have mentioned, there's J.R.R. Tolkien (who I, uhm, haven't read much of), who for some reason I know was a pretty serious Catholic.

Not sure if she ever called herself 'Christian' specifically, but J.K. Rowling has stated she believes in God.

My personal favorite is Dan Wells. (Who is Mormon. Not sure where exactly that lands in the Christian/other field, and this isn't the place to discuss it, but I figured I'd mention it.) His debut trilogy is a fantastic horror series. The lead is a nonreligious sociopath, and there's language, details about dressing a corpse for a funeral (the protagonist works in a mortuary), violence/gore (including some torture in at least one book), but if you can handle those things the books are really awesome with some pretty cool messages, I think. <3

By the way, there are threads specifically for anime and mangarecommendations. :)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby akorecki1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks!

akorecki1

Postby Atria35 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 am

Ashley29 (post: 1512662) wrote:God is my favorite author because He just writes really well- even the story of my life when it seems to be so messed up at the time. He makes things better too when things feel down and messed up and everything.

While that's a great sentiment, "My Life" by God isn't exactly a book you can check out from the library. :P

The thing is, there just aren't that many good Christian authors. I find that the vast majority of Christian writing is boring, cliched, obvious Bible metaphor, and outright terrible writing. I really don't think there's anyone else to be added to the list you have here.
Atria35

Postby akorecki1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:34 pm

I found melody carlson is good my sister reads her a lot.

akorecki1

Return to Book Corner